Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 19:14   #39256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Private bus travel, particularly sleeper bus business must be thoroughly regulated. Who is checking the health and fitness of the drivers and vehicles ? What steps have been taken by state government in the aftermath of the samrudhi mahamarg incident? People look at public road transport as a safer option. But incidents like these put to question the belief.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 23:11   #39257
Distinguished - BHPian

A very peculiar instance about a road accident from about two decades ago was cited by my friend, who owns a workshop.

It so happened that a Tata Sumo collided head-on with a Maruti Zen (old generation). Both were moving at around 30-35 kmph in the city traffic. The engine bay of the Zen was smashed but the passenger cabin was intact, the speed being low. The Zen occupants suffered no injuries however. The Tata Sumo suffered dents on its bumper and the damages to its black bull bar. I believe these bullbars were sold as an accessory with the older Sumos. Or were these OE as many Sumos came with those black bull bars? Coming back to the topic, the Sumo driver suffered minor injuries on his chest's rib bones. The co-passenger in the Tata Sumo on its front seat suffered a whiplash injury on his vertebral column and had to be hospitalised.

Both these vehicles came to my friend's workshop for their repair jobs. The Zen was billed for Rs 44,000, a whopping amount then. While the Sumo was billed for a few thousands for dents to its bumper and the damages to its bullbar. The hospital expenses of the Sumo occupants are not known though.

Such is the fate of occupants of vehicles like the Sumo, that don't have crumple zones. But at the same time, I do not vouch for base models from Maruti as safe cars, though this case is unique.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th October 2023 at 23:29.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 23:27   #39258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Perfect example how guard rails can save lives
https://Youtu.be/Urrqc5I4zxA?si=03XNgm6MiLJaOd4r
The bus oversteered! A powerslide (phenomenal save but it was his fault in the first place)
Goes to show the pedal to the metal driving antics of the buses coupled with tyres not upto the track level cornering being done in the wet!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 01:46   #39259

An experience that I had in 2016. I was travelling from Pune to Mysore for AFSB. It was roughly 2:30AM and we hadn't stopped for a bathroom break for the past 3 hours or so. Curious to know when we would be halting, I went out of my sleeper cabin to check with the bus conductor/helper when I noticed the speedo. The bus was doing north of 110kmph and was still accelerating. In the couple of minutes that I was there in the cabin, the speed had reached somewhere around 130kmph and we were just entering a treacherous ghat section.

Being a devout theist, I prayed to my favourite Gods and Goddesses to save my skin on this journey and helplessly went back to my cabin/bed. It was roughly 30 minutes or so after that when the bus stopped. People woke up, emptied their insides, a few quick prayers privately and they retired to their respective beds again.

Fortunately for me, I haven't stepped into a long distance bus that was manufactured before 2018 ever again. The limiter doesn't allow heavy vehicles to cross 80kmoh anymore (to the best of my knowledge), and all my 2018 trips were done in busses with drivers who wouldn't cross 75kmoh or so even in empty stretches of roads. Sure, there were a few heart-in-the-mouth moments when travelling from B'lore to Kodaikanal in October 2018, but that was that. Hopefully, we'll see a reduction in the number of bus accidents and accidents in general in the country.
Old 29th October 2023, 18:51   #39260
BHPian

A different kind of an accident.

Graphic content warning

Learning: Never try to stop a runaway vehicle like that.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 19:54   #39261
BHPian

Happened last week and by the looks of it the scorpio rear ended the Etios and then lost control and went over the footpath. Dont have any info on the details of the accident as I was driving by and by the looks of it, the accident happened the previous night or early morning. The vehicles were being towed away in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-5.jpeg  

Old 29th October 2023, 20:37   #39262
Hbh

A minor accident happened in front of me and was captured in my dashcam. Mistakes on both sides. Innova was driving way too fast and didn't slow down for the intersection. The corolla would have seen the innova if it went around the round about instead of cutting through. The round about blocked vision of oncoming traffic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2023 at 21:16. Reason: Fixing broken YouTube URL.
Hbh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 20:45   #39263
BHPian

In what appears to be another case of an errant bike rider not caring two hoots before changing lanes and then eventually getting knocked down by a bus. Not sure about the location, saw the video on Twitter.

https://x.com/roadsofmumbai/status/1...940732984?s=48

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2023 at 22:24. Reason: URL fixed
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 22:36   #39264
BHPian

I found another accident that happened yesterday in Mumbai.

https://twitter.com/DiwakarSharmaa/s...0%2Fframe.html

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 29th October 2023 at 22:38.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 00:40   #39265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
A different kind of an accident.

Graphic content warning
Thanks. I noted the warning and did not watch.

Tractors are very dangerous. In my rural English childhood (50s/60s) farm tractors did not have any kind of roll-over protection. It was common for farm kids to play around the tractors, and sitting on the rear-wheel covers was fun. Sadly, it led to the occasional slide. Forwards. Which led to a dead child.

I guess it's like sitting out of a sunroof: the people that do/allow it just can't see what's wrong with it. There have to be accidents to prove the point.

I hate to think what happened in the video. Gruesome, no doubt. Tractors are dangerous things.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:28   #39266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
A minor accident happened in front of me and was captured in my dashcam. Mistakes on both sides.

I would go against the Corolla. I see this suicidal tendency of taking a shortcut at the traffic roundabouts. Innova wouldn't have seen this car. The Corolla should be sued. If there was a two-wheeler in place of Innova, he would have been badly dented.
FORTified is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:22   #39267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
A minor accident happened in front of me and was captured in my dashcam. Mistakes on both sides. Innova was driving way too fast and didn't slow down for the intersection.
Innova had the right of way, I reckon as it was heading straight, while Corolla intending to take a right had to slow down. Further, the Corolla's driver forgot he was driving a car and manoeuvred like a bike made only things costlier.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:56   #39268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Further, the Corolla's driver forgot he was driving a car and manoeuvred like a bike made only things costlier.
Even if he was on a bike such antics are just wrong. He is supposed to go around the circle.
electric_eel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 15:28   #39269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. I noted the warning and did not watch. .....did not have any kind of roll-over protection. ....sitting on the rear-wheel covers was fun./....
Actually this accident was different. Helping you to visualize here...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-trac.jpg

The Tractor was running on its own without an operator at the controls/wheel. It was made to hold a wheelie (full gas pedal down) and go around in tight circles. Beats me how they do it.

The Gentleman in the Red Turban sensed something amiss, and went near the tractor (may be to stop it, or let go off the gas pedal, or apply brake, or turn it off, basically he approached a wheelie tractor without a driver). He held his hand up like a typical farmer/cow herder who calls out to the Herd to get into the shed. (I grew up in a village, so I know how a Gaai-wala how he controls the herd, I am not trying to disrespect the deceased here)

The tractor did not know how to react to this person and end of story!

How does one even write a Pachanama/Chargesheet/FIR for this or, try explaining to Insurance Company!!

RIP!

Last edited by svsantosh : 30th October 2023 at 15:38.
svsantosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 17:18   #39270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Actually this accident was different. Helping you to visualize here...

Attachment 2523426

The Tractor was running on its own without an operator at the controls/wheel. It was made to hold a wheelie (full gas pedal down) and go around in tight circles. Beats me how they do it.

The Gentleman in the Red Turban sensed something amiss, and went near the tractor (may be to stop it, or let go off the gas pedal, or apply brake, or turn it off, basically he approached a wheelie tractor without a driver). He held his hand up like a typical farmer/cow herder who calls out to the Herd to get into the shed. (I grew up in a village, so I know how a Gaai-wala how he controls the herd, I am not trying to disrespect the deceased here)

The tractor did not know how to react to this person and end of story!

How does one even write a Pachanama/Chargesheet/FIR for this or, try explaining to Insurance Company!!

RIP!
"The Gentleman" here was the owner of that tractor and had initiated that stunt with it. The tractor stunt was threatening to run over people gathered to watch it. He then tried to make it right, but it was a dangerous manoeuvre he thought to pull off, and ended up paying the ultimate price.

Source: https://twitter.com/Gagan4344/status...07570409906191
1lokesh is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks