Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2023, 20:18   #39121
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

One can discuss endlessly the presence or absence of footpath, but if we remove the woman from the picture, is there still a problem?

There was one person more that got injured, or maybe dead, due to this reckless driver.

In an over populated country like ours, the space occupied by the woman may have been occupied by someone else. The root cause of this accident is the rashly driven car. I will remove that from the picture and save everyone.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 13:46   #39122
BHPian

Accident inside college campus leaves 2 students in critical condition.

A professor mistakenly hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal while parking.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../104247338.cms

To cause the extent of the damage that the car did, the professor must have tried to really slam the brakes. Wonder why.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 16:58   #39123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
To cause the extent of the damage that the car did, the professor must have tried to really slam the brakes. Wonder why.
I do not know anything about this incident more than what this article says, but it is a fact that panic makes people do crazy things that they'd otherwise have not done.

It might have been the case that this person in question must have pressed the accelerator by mistake, and then when the panic set in heavily, might have just stomped on the accelerator even more and possibly forgot about the steering wheel too.

I've heard of it happening to several drivers not very used to driving in crowded spaces, or just not used to driving at all. Never seen it in person thankfully.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 17:15   #39124
Distinguished - BHPian

I have sometimes reflected that even experienced drivers make mistakes. For instance, selecting the wrong gear. Even forward/reverse confusion. But we have to realise and correct instantly.

I remember one forward/reverse confusion I had when manoeuvring in a very restricted space. There was a car inches away in front of me. I put 1st instead of reverse --- and then stopped instantly. Even the car owner, who was watching, could hardly believe I hadn't touched it.

I find accelerator/brake confusion hard to believe. Anything is possible, and I'm not saying that it would never happen to me. What has happened is catching my shoe when moving the foot to the brake. Nothing bad resulted. Yet.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 17:51   #39125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Accident inside college campus leaves 2 students in critical condition.
These persons graduate to car driving and this Professor (Absent Minded Professor?) one among the many, needed to have taken driving lessons through some good driving school. He appears to be a self taught driver who has landed in this mess. Self judgment and introspection is called for. If a new driver remains a new driver even after driving for a few sessions it is preferable to join a driving school rather than make a fool of oneself.

This is perhaps the "n" thousandth case of brake pedal and accelerator messing up, by some new driver.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th October 2023 at 17:55.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 18:58   #39126
BHPian

Again an accident which show lack of enforcement. Speed limits inside campus for which ‘strict adherence is expected’ was not followed. Grounds are no place to learn. I believe, if you learn it the wrong way, it will take ages to correct. Being a professor might have given a sense of immunity, I guess.

Mistakes do happen, but if they happen at places where they shouldn’t outcomes can be devastating.

We see a lot of people learning to drive in some playground or park. When all is well, no one questions anyone, otherwise everyone has the wisdom to know it was dangerous.

A stitch in time can save nine, therefore as responsible citizen it is time to question and stop what is wrong. Safety is in our own hands and deeds, no one else is going to gift it to us. Let us be a part of the citizen policing introduced in some commissionerates, help authorities to help us.

Last edited by FLYBOYSID : 8th October 2023 at 19:00.
Old 8th October 2023, 19:17   #39127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Once again, ample space for the pedestrians to walk on yet we choose to walk on the road and inevitably become targets for crazy people behind wheels :(

Are we naive enough to believe that no one will cross that white line and so we will be safe?
Footpaths aren't really footpaths these days
I daily witness someone encroaching the footpath space be it a street vendor or people use it as a parking space for their bikes
At least in metros like mumbai footpaths are non existent
don't know where you expect pedestrians to walk
Old 8th October 2023, 21:27   #39128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishoreshack View Post
I daily witness someone encroaching the footpath space be it a street vendor or people use it as a parking space for their bikes
Very true, also all the electricity poles which block the ways, construction material, people using footpath to park their vehicles and normal wear tear. Things are improving in Bangalore but we have a long way to go.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:19   #39129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishoreshack View Post
True, but be that as it may, with respect to the particular accident, there was no visible obstructions on the footpath.

Oh well.

Remember someone wise who once told me, when you are on the road imagine everyone else is out to get you!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:56   #39130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw this Nexon on the expressway. It happened seconds before I passed the spot, so I pulled over and offered to help (or drive someone to the hospital). Luckily, just the driver onboard and he had only a small bruise on his knee.

He admitted that he was sleepy and just dozed off - the Nexon drove itself into the guard rail.

Please read this article of mine (Drowsiness & Sleepy Driving: The silent killer on Indian roads), and ensure you are well-rested before driving, guys!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nexon.jpg
GTO is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 20:22   #39131
BHPian

Found this on X.
Biker is so lucky to be alive

https://twitter.com/rushlane/status/...Kp3L-Ugaw&s=19

Last edited by tiagoatrix : 9th October 2023 at 20:24.
tiagoatrix is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 10:41   #39132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Found this on X.

Indeed he is very lucky. But he really needs to learn how to handle his motorcycle. KTMs are very agile and he could have easily braked a bit and maneuvered. Distracted maybe?
Old 10th October 2023, 11:50   #39133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Indeed he is very lucky. But he really needs to learn how to handle his motorcycle. KTMs are very agile and he could have easily braked a bit and maneuvered. Distracted maybe?
That is a MT15. Still an agile motorcycle.

Looks like target fixation.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 12:06   #39134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Found this on X.

Looks like an scene from the Road Rash video game.
bobbyblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 12:21   #39135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
It might have been the case that this person in question must have pressed the accelerator by mistake, and then when the panic set in heavily, might have just stomped on the accelerator even more and possibly forgot about the steering wheel too.
I can totally relate to this. A few years back, my aunt wrecked my car exactly for this reason. She was eager to try her newly acquired driving skills. We went to a deserted stretch of straight road after 10PM and I handed over the car to her. She was driving slow like any other day, but God knows for what reason, she panicked that day and stepped hard on the accelerator. I had the reflex to grab the steering and steer it towards the compound wall. We slammed into it and my car was badly damaged. I asked her what happened, she said she panicked seeing something in the road and then did not know what happened. There was nothing on the road, it was barren abandoned empty stretch. But yes, a panic can make one, especially novice drivers do things without even realizing it.

Last edited by SR-71 : 10th October 2023 at 12:34.
SR-71 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks