Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 10:21   #38371
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

happened in Coimbatore
Oh Man!

What was he even thinking attempting a blind overtake like that on a narrow stretch. Another victim becomes a statistic on our roads
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 10:34   #38372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Small nitpicking, unless coming via Kolar, Chittoor it's mostly eastbound to Chennai I guess. But I do think the road is directionally southbound near Krishnaigiri where this incident took place.

Also fun fact, most of Bengaluru is south of many parts of Chennai. They are basically same latitude with center of Chennai north of center of Bengaluru.

Mangaluru-Chennai via Bengaluru is basically a coast to coast straight line.
Krishnagiri is south of Bangalore. There are a bunch of mountains in the mangalore-chennai route. A straight route is not possible unless you are flying or tunnel through a whole bunch of forest and mountains.
Old 27th June 2023, 11:55   #38373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

happened in Coimbatore
As per news reports, the rider of the motorcycle, a 36 year old man, died on the spot while his son, the pillion rider, is in critical condition in hospital battling for life.

RIP.

The blame solely lies on the car driver, no doubt. The motorcyclist is the victim, no doubt.

But as a motorcyclist, we need to have plan B always. Be 100% attentive to the road well ahead and a good reflex helps. In a collision between motorcycle and any vehicle, motorcycle loses by default. So, we motorcyclists should be on the defensive always. Scout for an escape route beforehand. In this hand, going off-road on the left side would have helped.
Arwin07 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 09:54   #38374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
How can this happen, is it a combination of high speed and understeering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
To the extent I observed there was no steering input after the first curve. As if the second curve was not anticipated and the driver was too fast to react on time. If there was overseer from first curve then the rear would have whipped around. Instead the driver went straight into the barrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Possibly due to a non-ABS car, too much speed into the corner and applied brakes, wheels locked and it went straight without any steering inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
He was cutting corners without bothering about oncoming traffic on a Ghat road. Car did not move back to correct lane or even attempt to take the upcoming left turn instead hold straight onto the mountain face.

Basically unsafe driving for hills, accident was bound to happen and glad it looked like not a fatal crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
It looks like there was no steering input at all and no attempt was made to turn... The driver is all over the road, driving on the wrong/opposite lane. The way he enters the previous turn, he is completely on the opposite lane.
I suspect that the driver dozed off, thus lack of steering input. The original speed of vehicle (without video being sped up) was controllable and not the apparent reason for loosing of control.
Old 28th June 2023, 10:12   #38375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh Man!

What was he even thinking attempting a blind overtake like that on a narrow stretch. Another victim becomes a statistic on our roads
The problem is not what he was thinking. He most likely was not thinking at all. Most drivers, even some of the "good" and "educated" ones, drive without any thought on the
risks that they take and for what joy ? Sample this: I had at that time not driven a cruise controlled car and was asking a relative of mine whether it was practical on Kerala highways had this as his answer "No it is not practical. It will not allow you to go beyond 120 Kmph". It seems that he drives at 150-180 on some of the highways in Kerala. Thankfully Kerala Govt has put up AI cameras now.

Last edited by electric_eel : 28th June 2023 at 10:26. Reason: Typo
electric_eel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 10:25   #38376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
But as a motorcyclist, we need to have plan B always. Be 100% attentive to the road well ahead and a good reflex helps. In a collision between motorcycle and any vehicle, motorcycle loses by default. So, we motorcyclists should be on the defensive always. Scout for an escape route beforehand. In this hand, going off-road on the left side would have helped.
From the point the car pulled out from behind the jeep till the collision with the bike, the elapsed time in the video is 1 second. Short of being an expert in instant teleportation, I cannot see what the biker could have done here.

We should stop this victim-blaming and call it as we see it - the car driver here is guilty of murder, no less.
binand is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:57   #38377
BHPian

This incident happened to one of my friend today in the morning. A jaywalker lady suddenly jumped onto the road. There was a Kia Sonet in front of my friend's Baleno. This Sonet guy was some college lecturer. He slammed on the brakes to avoid the woman but from what I've heard he hit the woman. My friend was doing 40-50kph and slammed on the brakes immediately after the Sonet guy braked hard. My friend couldn't stop in time and he hit the Sonet. This is what exactly happened, but the pictures just end up depicting something completely different.

C'mon Maruti, Coke cans can hold up much better than your crap tincans. I am honestly very surprised as to what damage can happen if one hits another vehicle/object at such moderate speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230628_134712.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230628_134757.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230628_134826.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20230628wa0017.jpg  

Last edited by saikishor : 28th June 2023 at 13:58.
saikishor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 14:53   #38378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
This incident happened to one of my friend today in the morning. .....
C'mon Maruti, Coke cans can hold up much better than your crap tincans. I am honestly very surprised as to what damage can happen if one hits another vehicle/object at such moderate speeds.
1. I'm no fan of Maruti's typical build quality but to be honest, usually in this kind of crash/impact, the car behind always seems to have bigger damage to its front region than the one that got rear ended (you can see numerous posts on this very same thread indicating this; Also I have been a victim of rear-endings couple of times, so I have seen it in person as well).

2. Whatever speed one may be doing, it is the fault of the rear-ending vehicle. ALWAYS. Everywhere in the world, including India. As I said earlier, I have had discussions on this rear-ending topic with traffic police couple of times - even they agree on the same thing. It is the duty of the vehicle behind to leave enough stopping distance during emergency breaking - No police / court will accept the excuse "But Sir/Madam, the person in front stopped suddenly". Kindly tell your friend to take this as a lesson for future.
srvm is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:58   #38379
BHPian

Why do people tailgate others so closely, especially on our roads where there are tons of reasons for the vehicle ahead to peform emergency braking? I understand that people are perhaps attuned to a certain driving pattern here and perhaps accidents happen, but what really gets me is that people really think that it's somehow the responsibility of the vehicle ahead to not be rear ended! I've seen countless videos and incidents when the tailgating vehicles have blamed the ones ahead for braking suddenly.

The damage to the Baleno is similar to what I've suffered in my Sonet when a fully loaded bus hit my side at moderate speeds. That said, rear ending pics are always misleading as the rear is not built to absorb impact in a similar way and most rear ending pics will look similar. Ultimately the only thing that matters is the cabin, and we can't really say much looking at these pictures about whether the car is built 'poorly' or not.
epiccross is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 16:11   #38380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post

2. Whatever speed one may be doing, it is the fault of the rear-ending vehicle. ALWAYS. Everywhere in the world, including India. As I said earlier, I have had discussions on this rear-ending topic with traffic police couple of times - even they agree on the same thing. It is the duty of the vehicle behind to leave enough stopping distance during emergency breaking - No police / court will accept the excuse "But Sir/Madam, the person in front stopped suddenly". Kindly tell your friend to take this as a lesson for future.
Can this also be extended to the case where if someone is driving an ADAS car and if AEB applied the brakes causing a rear-ending, the ADAS car driver is not at fault in 'legal terms'?
Old 28th June 2023, 16:21   #38381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
C'mon Maruti, Coke cans can hold up much better than your crap tincans.
It happens because of crumple zones built in to the car. The car crumbles, your friend mostly walks off - if he was wearing seat belt. If it was an Ambassador car, it would be completely unscathed but your friend will be in hospital.

It is always the mistake of the following car when it rear ends a car ahead. ALWAYS. The driver ahead can brake suddenly for n number of reasons. Sudden huge pothole, big rock on the road, a small animal or kid darting across which the following driver can't see. The driver may even have a sudden heart attack and slam the brakes.

It is the duty and responsibility of the trailing car to keep enough distance and reaction time to avoid rear ending the car ahead.
Gansan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 16:56   #38382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
applied the brakes causing a rear-ending
Applying the brakes can never “cause” a rear-ending. Rear-ending is always a result of the car behind not leaving sufficient space ahead, not being attentive enough, being faster than they are supposed to or a combination of all of these.

I’m assuming you’re asking if the car in front has AEB, if they are at fault? It doesn’t matter!! The car in front is never at fault so it is immaterial if it was done by a robot or human.

The only exception to this rule if the vehicle in front brake-checked the vehicle behind.
krishnakumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:49   #38383
BHPian

Just watched this video on Prateek Singh's YouTube channel. This unfortunate incident occurred in Nandurbar, Maharashtra. As we can see in the video, there were a few individuals around, and someone was seated in the driver's seat of an Altroz. He suddenly pressed the accelerator pedal, causing the car to accelerate quickly. It seems, a sweeper died instantly, and others hurt as well.

YouTube Link:
GhostGrid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:59   #38384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
As we can see in the video, there were a few individuals around, and someone was seated in the driver's seat of an Altroz. He suddenly pressed the accelerator pedal, causing the car to accelerate quickly. It seems, a sweeper died instantly, and others hurt as well.
Well, why do they switch on the car inside the showroom? That is the basic mistake here. Don't give display car keys to customers inside the showroom. As simple as that.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 18:00   #38385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Can this also be extended to the case where if someone is driving an ADAS car and if AEB applied the brakes causing a rear-ending, the ADAS car driver is not at fault in 'legal terms'?
Absolutely! It's illegal to merge in front of you without sufficient space and slam on the brakes. In every other situation, the following vehicle is responsible.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks