Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 20:33   #23371
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
a concrete block on the bonnet? Or... ?
Or... the driver went over a road divider, with the wheels on either side. The engine got knocked down by the impact from the bottom.

Last edited by earthian : 27th April 2017 at 20:35.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 21:13   #23372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Luckily no one was fatally injured and they all walk out of the car literally. But we can learn a few things.
I would suggest adding a couple more.
The need to stop the use of hazard lights by these bikes as they cruise along. Hazard lights are for disabled vehicles, sort of an alarm to seek extra attention. If everyone uses them all the time, it loses all meaning.

It is not alright to ride a vehicle in the wrong way in any lane under any circumstance. It is a recipe for another accident. Imagine someone getting blinded or confused looking at his headlights. There were so many vehicles and people in the traffic lanes. He could have parked his bike and walked back to the accident spot on the side of the road.
prasadee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 10:55   #23373
BHPian

When I mentioned recently the leniency of court of law in this country, few "Questions" were raised.

Please wake up to the fact and get educated.

http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/m...w/58407833.cms
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 11:19   #23374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
When I mentioned recently the leniency of court of law in this country, few "Questions" were raised.

Seriously shocking and frustrating. Such judgements are going to set bad precedents. Law should be equal. No bias based on profession/gender/caste etc.
sunishsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 12:19   #23375
BHPian

Quote:
the engine is knocked out of place. What could have happened: a concrete block on the bonnet? Or... ?
This is a safety feature in VW cars as mentioned by the SA. During a collision the engine collapses down to avoid getting pushed into the passenger cabin and subsequent injusries to the passengers. Atleast this is what I was told by multiple VW SAs when I was in the market a while back though I am seeing it happen in real for the first time here
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 12:44   #23376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shocking indeed, but perhaps not surprising. Hopefully the judgment will be appealed and overturned given that the trial court judge seems to have specifically mentioned that his sentencing is influenced by the accused's gender.

Also see: http://www.firstpost.com/india/lenie...y-3385480.html
Old 28th April 2017, 13:51   #23377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
This is a safety feature in VW cars as mentioned by the SA. During a collision the engine collapses down to avoid getting pushed into the passenger cabin and subsequent injusries to the passengers. ... ... ...
Thank you: I didn't know that. Safety features are appreciated, but I hope that it is not as expensive as it looks to repair!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Seriously shocking and frustrating. Such judgements are going to set bad precedents. Law should be equal. No bias based on profession/gender/caste etc.
I absolutely agree. Otherwise we make it a world where it is just fine for the educated and qualified, especially if female, to kill the poor and illiterate.

It is tangental, because, at least on the basis of the news report, this judgement was highly dubious, but, (forgive me if I missed the discussion) is more known of the accident?

The problem is that when I read "slammed her Toyota Innova into a bike," I wonder if that was really, biker cut in front of car and caused the accident. The news reports are almost always entirely biased. One day, I got an inkling why... when I saw the huge number of bikes parked outside a local newspaper office. Drive like bikers, think like bikers, write like bikers?

So, when it is not a clear case, such as running down a law-abiding rider stopped at junction or signal, I always wonder what really happened.

But gender/profession-based judgements? No.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th April 2017 at 13:53.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 14:34   #23378
BHPian

CCTV footage of a truck falling off a flyover on a running auto in Jalandhar. Horrendous video.

Hickstead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:34   #23379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
CCTV footage of a truck falling off a flyover on a running auto in Jalandhar. Horrendous video.
That cyclist got saved by the skin of his teeth!! Now how do you avoid such catastrophes
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:35   #23380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
The cyclist saved himself probably because he was in the opposite direction and noticed the truck. Quick thinking saved his life.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 16:38   #23381
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! Final destination movies come to mind :(

What are the chances of something like that happening? Just plain scary.

As for the lady doctor, that is a bad precedent indeed. Now every lady in court can claim leniency because she is a woman.
Old 28th April 2017, 17:34   #23382
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That cyclist got saved by the skin of his teeth!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The cyclist saved himself probably because he was in the opposite direction and noticed the truck. Quick thinking saved his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh man! Final destination movies come to mind :(
Cyclist saved himself by running but the autorickhow driver was not as lucky. What a painful (or without pain) death!
Old 28th April 2017, 17:39   #23383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-RJ View Post
Cyclist saved himself by running but the autorickhow driver was not as lucky. What a painful (or without pain) death!
Auto driver survived . Both the truck driver and auto driver suffered serious injurious.
msdivy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 17:51   #23384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Auto driver survived . Both the truck driver and auto driver suffered serious injurious.
Thanks. Good to hear that someone was not unnecessarily punished.
Truck driver may be survived by luck but for auto driver, it is a miracle. He was totally unaware what is happening over his head and sky is falling over him.
Old 28th April 2017, 23:37   #23385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
This is a safety feature in VW cars as mentioned by the SA. During a collision the engine collapses down to avoid getting pushed into the passenger cabin and subsequent injusries to the passengers. Atleast this is what I was told by multiple VW SAs when I was in the market a while back though I am seeing it happen in real for the first time here
Quote:
Thank you: I didn't know that. Safety features are appreciated, but I hope that it is not as expensive as it looks to repair!
The BMW SA told me the same thing about their cars. But apparently it's a total loss once the engine collapses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks