Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 21:31   #38251
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitchauhan073 View Post
The next day he wasn’t picking up calls from IO. So I called him up, still didn’t pick it up. So left a WhatsApp message that I would file an FIR within an hour if he didn’t show up at PS. He then proceeded to call me up and accepted his mistake but gave a pretty bad excuse that his mobile phone came in between the break, and that’s why he couldn’t break and couldn’t pick up calls as his phone had been damaged due to it. I asked for filing charges and NCB, which he accepted, finally leading to a settlement.
Glad to hear you got the NCB and filing charges. I think the cost of rear dashcam is retrieved.

I also have been thinking of having one more dashcam at the back. Few weeks back, I had same experience. Someone bumped into my back of my car really hard and in no time, ran away. I chose not to chase. It made a small hole into the rear bumper and some of the black paint stuck onto my white car. Took a hit of Rs 5k to fix those ugly marks.
OffRoadFun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:05   #38252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked for filing charges and NCB, which he accepted, finally leading to a settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Glad to hear you got the NCB and filing charges.
One point to keep in mind is that once you make a claim, your NCB table is rewound to 0. The repercussions are seen in the next several years. That is, for these years you have to build your NCB credit from scratch using the 0-20-25-35-45-50 scale rather than enjoying 50% NCB throughout. You end up paying higher premia for many years to come.

And since the premium carries GST, add 18% more to whatever extra you pay.

I had once built a spreadsheet to calculate the actual NCB loss that one suffers over a 7-year lifetime of a car, if one were to make any OD claim. The picture wasn't pretty, and so for most things I just pay out of pocket.

(I understand there are NCB protector riders available these days).
binand is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 17:54   #38253

I had registered on this site a long time back, now don't even remember when.

I used to read the suggestions and tips for safe driving and try to incorporate them in my style as well, but sometimes there is hardly anything one can do.

Attaching a few pics of an accident I went through while going to badrinath last year.

A head on collision with mountain, after skidding at leftmost side of road due to giving space from right for a honker to pass....
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221106wa0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221106wa0001.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221106wa0004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221106wa0000.jpg  

pg2003 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 19:06   #38254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg2003 View Post

Attaching a few pics of an accident I went through while going to badrinath last year.

A head on collision with mountain, after skidding at leftmost side of road due to giving space from right for a honker to pass....
That is a very bad sight, friend.
Hope you and other riders are safe after the outcome.
Better get a dashcam quickly.
Old 12th June 2023, 19:55   #38255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Is it due to panic breaking by the 2 Wheeler? Or road condition.

Probably a parked Car suddenly entered the highway and that might've triggered to panic breaking. The 2 wheeler rider might've thought that the Car would enter the fast lane, leading to sudden breaking.

The Person is lucky to survive as 2 Cars almost passed over him.
I checked the video 7/8 times just to find the actually reason behind but not sure what happened. Might be something on the road that the scooty went over or as you said panic braking.
dolphinjazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 20:37   #38256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
That is a very bad sight, friend.
Hope you and other riders are safe after the outcome.
Better get a dashcam quickly.

Thankfully all had seatbelts on, and due to airbags being deployed only injuries suffered were blunt force trauma by seatbelts themselves.

Not a scratch on all 3 of us.

The vehicle got totalled though.
pg2003 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 11:21   #38257
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!!

I guess the uploaded video has lost some quality but it was clearly visible in the rear camera stock video that i got from dashcam.
Could you share with me the model of the dashcam that was used?
Old 13th June 2023, 13:57   #38258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I had once built a spreadsheet to calculate the actual NCB loss that one suffers over a 7-year lifetime of a car, if one were to make any OD claim. The picture wasn't pretty, and so for most things I just pay out of pocket.
I had always considered NCB discount as something which is not very significant as it covers only the Own Damage Premium and none of the additional covers.

This year, I got 1272 Rs. (+ GST) discount at 35% NCB for a 6L IDV car which honestly is not really worth much in terms of car repairs. Even if I add up my past 2 years of discounts, 880 Rs. and 534 Rs. respectively, it adds up to 2600 Rs. over a 3 year period of no claims. A simple bumper scratch repair costs more than that nowadays.

Making a claim itself will very likely increase the rates and that's what makes me to not make claims for small expenses less than 15-20k instead of NCB. For example, Go Digit refused to renew my policy because I made 2 claims in a year which both are legitimate and not a fault of mine.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 13th June 2023 at 13:59.
Yieldway17 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:18   #38259
BHPian

Another accident on the Mumbai Pune expressway - A chemical tanker overturned and caught fire while going towards Mumbai. Several people are feared dead and injured in the accident. More details awaited.

Source - https://twitter.com/ThePuneMirror/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:27   #38260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I had always considered NCB discount as something which is not very significant...
This depends on the IDV. In my specific case, the NCB loss and consequential excess GST aggregated over 3 years was going above 1L so paying out of pocket made eminent sense to me.

(Also, I'm not sure how your calculation works; 1272 is not 35% of 7083. It is more like 18%).
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:13   #38261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
Another accident on the Mumbai Pune expressway
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-road.jpg

From the Amateur cam it seems the section under fire is a suspended road section (over bridge). If yes, then the fire (looks pretty high temperature) can melt the tarmac, heat can go deep into the rebar, melt that steel and cause the whole section to become weak or collapse. Reminds me of a US freeway collapse a few days ago.

From Internet..
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-us.jpg
Pic Credit -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/70310677007/

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th June 2023 at 16:17.
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:31   #38262
BHPian

Quote:
So this happened at Narsinghpur near Kherki Daula on NH8 when I was coming from work. Immediately retrieved the footage from the dashcam, called 112, and went to the nearby Police Station. His number was put through the e-challan machine. I got his number, and he was called by the IO, wherein he agreed to come to PS. After that, he ignored calls and was finally picked up by a lady who was told he would have to come one way or another through an FIR. The next day he wasn’t picking up calls from IO. So I called him up, still didn’t pick it up. So left a WhatsApp message that I would file an FIR within an hour if he didn’t show up at PS. He then proceeded to call me up and accepted his mistake but gave a pretty bad excuse that his mobile phone came in between the break, and that’s why he couldn’t break and couldn’t pick up calls as his phone had been damaged due to it. I asked for filing charges and NCB, which he accepted, finally leading to a
In India, most of us try and avoid the system. We have preconceptions that the police won't do anything, it would be waste of time, or rather they may harass us instead of the offending party.

Really heartwarming to read about your positive experience. You have reinforced the need for a dashcam, and given many of us hope that should we face a similar situation (and have dashcam evidence), we too can and should approach the authorities.
kadanaJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:48   #38263
BHPian

Quote:
So this happened at Narsinghpur near Kherki Daula on NH8 when I was coming from work. Immediately retrieved the footage from the dashcam, called 112, and went to the nearby Police Station. His number was put through the e-challan machine. I got his number, and he was called by the IO, wherein he agreed to come to PS. After that, he ignored calls and was finally picked up by a lady who was told he would have to come one way or another through an FIR. The next day he wasn’t picking up calls from IO. So I called him up, still didn’t pick it up. So left a WhatsApp message that I would file an FIR within an hour if he didn’t show up at PS. He then proceeded to call me up and accepted his mistake but gave a pretty bad excuse that his mobile phone came in between the break, and that’s why he couldn’t break and couldn’t pick up calls as his phone had been damaged due to it. I asked for filing charges and NCB, which he accepted, finally leading to a settlement.
Sorry to know about your experience. It proves once again that DashCams are a mandatory accessory on any car. Glad to hear that you had a pretty positive experience with the authorities, which is often not the case if we go by the various accounts of others and the general perception itself.
Old 13th June 2023, 18:02   #38264
BHPian

This came in my YouTube feed, an accident in Palakkad, Kerala. Stopping car gets rear ended by a bus. Looks like multiple damaged cars and resulting injuries was prevented by sheer luck or the incredible presence of mind of driver…

TSIboy is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 18:26   #38265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
This came in my YouTube feed, an accident in Palakkad, Kerala. Stopping car gets rear ended by a bus. Looks like multiple damaged cars and resulting injuries was prevented by sheer luck or the incredible presence of mind of driver…
That is something you don't see everyday. Super car control and presence of mind. The good condition tyres would have added in aiding it too.
tharian is offline   (33) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks