Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 18:33   #38341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Scary accident in Puducherry, an autorickshaw carrying school children collided head-on with a bus. 8 children are injured and admitted in hospital, in another video Puducherry gov
Auto driver went full on Left-Hand-Drive mode!! What was he even trying to do considering there was nothing to overtake and going by the front wheels of the bus it was coming rather straight, not entering a hard turn.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 19:07   #38342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And the worst example is bikers who move to the far-right-hand side of the road some way before making the right turn, which they then take, sometimes blind, from the wrong side of the road they are leaving, into the wrong side of the road they ate entering.

I don't understand how they can even think of this, let alone be comfortable with it
So irritating especially when driving on 2L highways. I would watch some two wheeler come from a side road, see traffic and hence he couldn't cross, turn wrong way without hesitation , look back to check traffic, and go across. Sometimes with enite family on the bike. Always have to be alert for these idiots.

Only goal for many riders is that they don't want to stop their vehicles or put their foot down till they reach their destination.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 19:34   #38343
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately had my car bonnet dented by a careless mechanic who had come to repair a neighbour's car on Saturday, while my car was parked at its usual spot. I wasn't home, but once I discovered the dent, the home CCTV cameras told the real story. I am now asking my neighbour to produce the fellow before me, but I'm not sure what compensation I can ask the guy to pay up. It's in a spot that's difficult to repair (double sheet of metal), and I'm unaware of any skilled PDR person who can take care of it in Delhi.

Take a look:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20230618wa0043.jpeg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st June 2023 at 19:57.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:03   #38344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Unfortunately had my car bonnet dented by a careless mechanic who had come to repair a neighbour's car
How careless can one be?! Just zero sense of any common sense!
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:49   #38345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately had my car bonnet dented by a careless mechanic who had come to repair a neighbour's car on Saturday, while my car was parked at its usual spot. I wasn't home, but once I discovered the dent, the home CCTV cameras told the real story. I am now asking my neighbour to produce the fellow before me, but I'm not sure what compensation I can ask the guy to pay up. It's in a spot that's difficult to repair (double sheet of metal), and I'm unaware of any skilled PDR person who can take care of it in Delhi.
A good PDR can remove that dent 90%. Better than repainting the panel.

I had a similar incident when a Tata 407 backed into our car parked on the road and dented the bonnet badly and caused some scratches to the headlamp. But we did not have any CCTV proof to trace the culprit.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:49   #38346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the worst example is bikers who move to the far-right-hand side of the road some way before making the right turn, which they then take, sometimes blind, from the wrong side of the road they are leaving, into the wrong side of the road they ate entering.

I don't understand how they can even think of this, let alone be comfortable with it
If you visit Pune, that is how every vehicle (99.99%) would take a right turn unless there are dividers placed on the roads just before the junction. Sometimes even with the dividers, two wheelers will move to the wrong side of the dividers to merge/turn right.
pjbiju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 10:57   #38347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
A good PDR can remove that dent 90%. Better than repainting the panel.
Off topic, but I am searching for a skilled PDR person in Delhi, and unable to locate one yet. Anyone can help?
Old 22nd June 2023, 12:32   #38348
BHPian

Here is a perfect example of why a safer car should be preferred:

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=560073932537237

You maybe a sane and safe driver but can't control the stupidity of others on the road.

In another accident, a car got crushed flat under a truck but the person inside the car miraculously got saved after the day long efforts:
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1218098572232883

Last edited by tbppjpr : 22nd June 2023 at 12:50.
tbppjpr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 15:25   #38349
BHPian

Quote:

The "merging for right turn" is one of my pet peeve and I consider it worse than the far right "wrong sided driving folks" (although I agree not by much) because many of the drivers think that the "merging" style of taking right turn is legal and may even be desirable. The right hand side drivers know that they are legally on the wrong side (pun unintended) and often have a sheepishly silly smile on the face when called out (Not that a sheepish smile absolves them).

I have seen people who are otherwise reasonable drivers make this "merging right turn" mistake because most of them do not know it is wrong or were even taught that this is the way to take a right turn. An extension of this logic is applied when they take right turns at junctions with a small traffic Island/statue etc. Most people do not know that you need to go around the island and the idiot who took the "short cut" will give a dirty look to the ones who have done it correctly. I have even seen traffic police get this wrong (I can understand if the junction is small and the vehicle is big truck which cannot make the turn otherwise).

I have convinced a few people why the "merging right turn" is wrong by pointing out to them that for the "merging method" one needs to drive quite a bit on the wrong side (which they agree is wrong).
electric_eel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 16:44   #38350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
The "merging for right turn" is one of my pet peeve
Our knowledgeable junta considers waiting in the center of the road, yielding to oncoming traffic and then turning right to be wrong.

On the way back from my morning school drop-off run today, I saw a lady doing the right thing (that I mentioned above). A Swaraj Mazda and a whole entourage of vehicles was piled up behind her (as this is a busy but narrow road), waiting for her to make a move. I was the last oncoming vehicle that she had yielded to. As I rode past her, she began to turn right and as she did so, the van driver purposefully nudged the back of her scooter. When she glanced back at him in shock, he shouted at her for having held up traffic.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:31   #38351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
On the way back from my morning school drop-off run today, I saw a lady doing the right thing (that I mentioned above). A Swaraj Mazda and a whole entourage of vehicles was piled up behind her (as this is a busy but narrow road), waiting for her to make a move. I was the last oncoming vehicle that she had yielded to.
Didn't really get the picture (long day at work), but if she was waiting for a turn and holding up traffic behind her, could you not have given way for her to turn?
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:44   #38352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Didn't really get the picture (long day at work), but if she was waiting for a turn and holding up traffic behind her, could you not have given way for her to turn?
I think it depends on the location. No U turn but people still try being clever. I would not give them chance to cross and let them hear from drivers behind him/her. My one horn or their shouting will not teach them but better they get irritated than me on the road.

At one lane roads people need to have patience to wait for a gap in traffic to cross as well as all vehicles behind to wait for this to happen. They are not going to win a race by simply pushing the rider to cross quickly.

There is a dangerous option people choose, they move out of their lane but block the incoming lane for people to stop so that he/she can cross. I think the lady rider (as mentioned) was at least in her lane and waiting for a gap.

Last edited by vidyanand : 22nd June 2023 at 17:46.
Old 22nd June 2023, 18:19   #38353
BHPian

Quote:
The way I understand it is that the lady was correctly waiting in her lane but the constant traffic was making it impossible for her to safely make the right turn. Now legally none of the oncoming vehicle needs to give way as it is their right of way but it would have been nice if one of the oncoming cars (or one of the bigger vehicle) paused for her to complete her turn.

The driver behind her was being and idiot and pushing her to make the dangerous and illegal move. He needs to be kicked.
electric_eel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 20:20   #38354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I have caused a road accident in the past in the exact same situation.

I have written an entire thread on this here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-kindness.html (Accidents can be caused by excessive kindness!)

I know by now that if I drive in a sane fashion, other drivers will take care of themselves safely. I know better than to let someone by just because I feel magnanimous.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:04   #38355
BHPian

Quote:

Take a look:
https://Youtu.be/HTYRGibG5mA

Greetings Sir,

Had a similar incident with my Ignis, a pizza delivery guy backed into it leaving a dent on the rear quarter panel. It can be taken out completely by PDR method.
I even visited a tech who does “dry denting” in South Ext. but he straight away refused saying there’s no clear way to beat the metal from the inside. (There’s still a hole where a PDR tool can be put through).
After searching for hours i couldn’t find any capable PDR tech (like in the US) in whole of India let alone Delhi. But there’s whole industry of PDR abroad and they truly are magicians/artists. We seriously need qualified PDR techs here.
Attaching a few PDR videos of highly skilled techs.

Regards
gt3t0uring is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks