Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2023, 17:40   #38491
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2023 at 13:45.
deetee is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th July 2023, 18:04   #38492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Car gets dragged for couple of kilometres after rear-ending tipper lorry and getting stuck underneath its chassis in Udupi
I see a few issues here though.
1. I'm not sure if the car driver applied his brakes, or at least not in this video. I'm also not sure if that would have dislodged the car, but at least it's better than just watching yourself being dragged along like a dog toy.
2. I don't know if the truck driver understood the language. From his viewpoint, it could have been a case of people shouting at him in a different language from a moving car and therefore he takes it as a threat. Driving a KA-registered truck doesn't mean the driver's origin is also the same.
3. Did the cammer's car just open the passenger side door while moving? I also see something waved at the truck driver, probably reinforcing his belief that he could be lynched if he stopped.
4. The comments below the video are quite inflammatory, but I kind of expected that.
5. Leaving everything else apart, wouldn't rear-ending the truck be considered the car driver's fault? How could you rear-end somebody without your knowledge, unless you're not paying enough attention to the road?

I'm not trying to defend the truck driver. He could have caused serious harm and the best option would always have been to stop. I'm saying the other parties might also be at fault here and there is probably a reason as to why he behaved in that manner.

Last edited by Small Bot : 18th July 2023 at 18:09.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:16   #38493
BHPian

Quote:
[b][b][b]Car gets dragged for couple of kilometres after rear-ending tipper lorry and getting stuck underneath its chassis in Udupi
In the video car wheels are rotating freely. Looks like the driver is shocked / dazed . Applying brakes and locking the wheels will create additional drag and might have let the car slip out from under the truck. Unless the driver dozed off at the wheel , I wonder how he would be unaware of the happening.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 07:58   #38494
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear @mgastor2022grey, Allow me to chime in from a parent ego state {of transactional analysis fame}. My intention is not to chide though I might come across thus. Apologies in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
Had an accident when I was cycling today....

While I was just 10-20 meters away from my home, a group of pigs decided to cross the road.

I successfully dodged 2 pigs, while the third one dashes straight into my front wheel, causing me to fall.

The fourth one hit me in the center, so the cycle was thrown away. The fifth pig ran over the cycle.
I suspect you might have been pedaling rather briskly to have not been able to stop immediately. Or may be you assumed you could navigate your way through this sounder of pigs. Maybe you did not want to stop or maybe you did not spot them early enough or maybe you were unfortunate in getting caught in their midst in a matter of seconds. I'll give you benefit of the doubt. Pigs are near sighted creatures. Their binocular vision is limited to the front 35 to 50 degrees only unlike ours. Their ability to see and judge objects coming from the side is limited, more so than even a cow's.
Quote:
....... but I seriously doubt the safety in Indian roads. I have been cycling for over 12 years, and this is my first accident.
I'm surprised you didn't know this. A fourth of Team BHPs posts touch upon the madness on Indian roads and its consequences. Maybe you are new to India. You have some solid company. All the several tens of thousands on Team BHP agree with you that the mess on our roads is worse than a pig sty.
Quote:
Have already appealed to the governor, will try to take it forward from there. Or should I report it to the collector? BHPians, need your advice on this.
An administrator in India I suspect has far bigger and pressing issues than pigs on the road. I suspect your efforts will be in vain. We the upper classes believe the roads are for us and our cars and other means of locomotion. The poor believe the roads are for them & their animals. Both believe the other hogs the road {sorry for the unintended pun}.

Winston Churchill once said that, "dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig. He just looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal."

While we look down on pigs they are actually very intelligent animals. I can just imagine a pig telling us humans, "I turn waste vegetables into bacon & ham, what is your super power, dear homo sapien".

I hope your bruises heal soon. Keep pedaling. Cheers.
V.Narayan is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 08:47   #38495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
2. I don't know if the truck driver understood the language. From his viewpoint, it could have been a case of people shouting at him in a different language from a moving car and therefore he takes it as a threat. Driving a KA-registered truck doesn't mean the driver's origin is also the same.
Correct. It is reported that the tipper lorry was being driven by Munishwar from Bihar.

Quote:
3. Did the cammer's car just open the passenger side door while moving? I also see something waved at the truck driver, probably reinforcing his belief that he could be lynched if he stopped.
4. The comments below the video are quite inflammatory, but I kind of expected that.
Lynching is biggest fear for drivers of bigger vehicles, whether they are actually at fault or not. This fear makes drivers take weird actions post-accident which they may not take in normal circumstances. Its true in even in case of car vs. bike or bike vs. pedestrian.

Quote:
5. Leaving everything else apart, wouldn't rear-ending the truck be considered the car driver's fault? How could you rear-end somebody without your knowledge, unless you're not paying enough attention to the road?
Spot on.

Quote:
I'm not trying to defend the truck driver. He could have caused serious harm and the best option would always have been to stop. I'm saying the other parties might also be at fault here and there is probably a reason as to why he behaved in that manner.
I my opinion :
  1. The truck is loaded with sand (the green cover on top indicates that) making it quite heavy. The car impacted at relatively slower speed (A-pillars are not ripped off). Thus, impact didn't create a noticeable a jerk on truck.
  2. There might have been some impact sound, but truck engines are noisy while pulling heavy loads. So, driver didn't notice that either.
  3. The angle of impact is such, the dragging car might not be visible in the mirrors.
With these in mind, I am definitely giving benefit of doubt to the truck driver.
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:51   #38496
BHPian

Another day another accident!

Quote:
One person was killed, another seriously injured after a speeding car ran over bikers near Santwadi gate on Pune-Nashik highway on Wednesday. The CCTV footage of the accident showed the motorcycle-borne men riding on the wrong side, towards Pune, when the car hit them.

https://www.news18.com/india/watch-speeding-car-hits-bikers-on-pune-nashik-highway-1-killed-8371027.html

Video: https://images.news18.com/ibnlive/up...cident.mp4?_=1
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:09   #38497
BHPian

https://twitter.com/potholewarriors/...1852622835713?

School van got in the way of a trailer truck. 6 lives lost as of now.
People don’t realize that heavy vehicles have much longer stopping distances. Even more so in the rain.
What a tragic and completely preventable loss of young lives.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 14:53   #38498
BHPian

Quote:
Another day another accident!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
School van got in the way of a trailer truck. 6 lives lost as of now.
People don’t realize that heavy vehicles have much longer stopping distances. Even more so in the rain.
What a tragic and completely preventable loss of young lives.
Both of these are quite hard to watch.

While the bikers were indeed going on the wrong side of the road, they did not deserve to be smashed by a car like that. And it seems as though there was very little they could have done to avoid being hit.

And the school bus incident is just maddening. How could the school driver have not seen the truck sliding towards them? They should have immediately attempted evasive maneuvers, there was sufficient time and space to do so. Instead, it seems as they either paid no attention or totally froze.

I can't imagine how the young kids would have felt seeing that behemoth crash into them. The heart breaks.
Old 19th July 2023, 16:48   #38499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I suspect you might have been pedaling rather briskly to have not been able to stop immediately. Or may be you assumed you could navigate your way through this sounder of pigs.
No, I had just started from my house, had only done 100 meters, and I did not even see the pigs, as I was more focused on cycling. It was not even in my peripheral vision, until I saw it right in my face. It actually took me a couple seconds to even realize what had happened. Luckily there was no vehicle behind or ahead of me, or else, I may not be writing this post.

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't know this. A fourth of Team BHPs posts touch upon the madness on Indian roads and its consequences. Maybe you are new to India.
Nope, have been in India for the past 15-20 years, and ironically, I don't know about the dangers of Indian roads maybe.. Thanks for the input!

[/quote]
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 17:15   #38500
BHPian

Quote:
No, I had just started from my house, had only done 100 meters, and I did not even see the pigs, as I was more focused on cycling. It was not even in my peripheral vision, until I saw it right in my face. It actually took me a couple seconds to even realize what had happened. Luckily there was no vehicle behind or ahead of me, or else, I may not be writing this post.
No offense man but you just can't put your blinders on and cycle on roads like ours. Everything you see is a heat seeking missile that may or may not have you in its target.

Last edited by createrkid : 19th July 2023 at 17:16.
createrkid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 18:56   #38501
M35
BHPian

I reside abroad for the most part of the year since 2005 or so, and pay visits thrice a year (I love my country, its soil and its culture). The roads and infrastructure do get improved but what surprised me is the fact that the driving habits and the attitude on the roads of the people have remained unchanged! I do love to make quite a bit of road trips. I had, with my family (wifey and 7-year-old kiddo and my YETI), a 1000 km road trip from Kochi to Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore and back a couple of weeks ago.

Only 2 out of 98 times, I could overtake a vehicle on the RHS! Honking or flashing the LED headlights wouldn't make a difference. Every other vehicle is forced to overtake from the left as lane discipline is non-existent. It's pathetic and is not State specific. Many of them do not seem to know the concept while the trucks and taxis don't bother! To me, it is this behaviour more dangerous than overspeeding.

Last edited by M35 : 19th July 2023 at 19:10.
M35 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 10:29   #38502
BHPian

This is terrible:

Quote:
At least nine people have died in two back-to-back accidents on the ISKCON flyover on Sarkhej-Gandhinagar (SG) highway in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad.

A speeding luxury car reportedly ran over people who had gathered after an SUV had hit a dumper. Nine people, including a police constable, have lost their lives in the accident.

An SUV reportedly first hit a dumper from behind, leading to a crowd gathering on the road. While their were curious onlookers, many were trying to to help those injured when a speeding luxury car rammed into the crowd.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../101971312.cms

Reminds me of the Creta incident where the car rammed into the ambulance. Were warning triangles placed before the spot? I'd not be surprised at all if they haven't.
Old 20th July 2023, 12:43   #38503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Some updates that we are getting locally:
The accident happened around 12.30 - 1 AM. There was already an accident at the spot - a Thar it seemed had rammed into a truck on the flyover. As usual, there was a crowd gathered and they were on the flyover. The lights on the flyover were not functional. A Jaguar F-Pace, overspeeding, did not see (or expect) a crowd of people standing on the flyover and crashed into it. As of now there are 9 fatalities (2 Policemen who had come as a result of the earlier accident) and others were onlookers / bystanders. The driver of the SUV was injured, beaten up by the others - and is in hospital. There are about 12 - 13 others who are also injured and admitted in different hospitals in different states of criticality.
There's actually a video captured of the accident by a bike rider who was on the opposite side of the flyover - its on Facebook.

(Edit: Link added):

If you see the video, you will find that the SUV driver - due to it being completely dark, had little to no time to react when he saw people on the road. Brakes are applied almost at the last second and you cannot see any of the people who are on the flyover.

Last edited by GJ01 : 20th July 2023 at 12:48.
GJ01 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:56   #38504

This is horrible. As a first thing, they should have placed reflectors or atleast some warning lights to warn other vehicles considering the darkness as seen in the video.
MangoMan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:02   #38505
BHPian

A truck in high speed struck a Alto on highway so badly that the car catches fire and all four people inside die. Felt really sad as they they were known to us. Just curious to know the reason they couldn’t get out of the car, was it because of doors auto locking or was it because of car melting in fire?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-8114bc5bee3143529f5d6bbe2c414e5d.jpeg  

Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks