Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 19:03   #38581
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

From what I can understand from driving from Chennai to Tirunelveli in the 4 laned national highway - there are no overtaking lanes as such - at least in this stretch of highway. There is a slow lane and a fast lane in both directions. I have seen at multiple places that it is mentioned clearly that faster vehicles are to take the right lane and slower vehicles and heavy vehicles are to take the left lane. I will try to take a photo next time I drive, but I think this overtaking lane doesn't exist at least in TN.
Old 26th July 2023, 01:05   #38582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
Reportedly this boy was caught overspeeding 25 times since last month, jumped multiple lights, drove recklessly, and was involved in damaging a private property wall earlier this month. Until the revelations unfolded, I was under the impression that the boy was just unfortunate, sadly that's not the case anymore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../102091846.cms
This is very unfortunate incident. Could have been avoided for sure with some sanity.

I was watching the local news to find out more. This is a big incident, killed 9 and injured 13. It has now got attention from many. It looks like cops are trying to make sure he pays for what he did. Media seems big time against him, people are angry about it and what not. Some of it due to his background, his past offences etc. His father has more than 10 cases against him, one including a gang rape. I heard his father managed to get him off the accident site after threatening locals who were beating him, it's also said he threatened them with a pistol or something, I guess a person like him would surely do that to save his son, such situation can't be predictable and we have some instances where offenders were badly beaten and in some case even killed.

I've driven over these flyovers on SG road a few times, due to high gradient, the visibility gets compromised, only if you are at very high speeds; lack of lighting and rain may have just added to it.

I don't remember seeing the hazard lights on Thar that already met with an accident, no hazard signs, no people management, people should not have gathered in the middle of the highway, least expected from a 19yo, very rich, returning from a party with his friends to have many people on the flyover. Eventually, it's a mistake of a driver that took all the lives. irrespective of circumstances, he could have driven his car within controllable speeds, considering all the bad conditions, could have avoided the accident.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th July 2023 at 13:28. Reason: minor spacing for improved readability
Ketan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 22:22   #38583
BHPian

Bike crash kills college student while crossing the road. The footage is typical of people's behaviour in Kerala. Students are not using zebra crossing even where provided. Biker doesn't seem to be slowing down even though this is said to be in front of a college. The news article says one of the girls passed away. The biker and the other girl has injuries.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...attupuzha.html
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 23:43   #38584
BANNED

It was a straight road, and it was a Jaguar with powerful headlights. It would be his mistake if he hadn't used high beams and if speed was limited to 80 kmph, with high beams, he could have stopped the car just in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
It's really sad to witness the jaguar accident. Even if the speed limit was 80, in the last minute when the headlight barely touched the people, it defied the fact that he could have hit a few individuals. Maybe if he had braked earlier, the number of people affected could have been reduced from 9 to 4. However, it's puzzling how such people end up on the highway, especially on a dark pitch road. It's truly disheartening to see.
Looks like capital punishment is necessary for this type of history sheeter and the number of deaths and injured people he has caused.

Quote:
Reportedly this boy was caught overspeeding 25 times since last month, jumped multiple lights, drove recklessly, and was involved in damaging a private property wall earlier this month. Until the revelations unfolded, I was under the impression that the boy was just unfortunate, sadly that's not the case anymore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../102091846.cms

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th July 2023 at 12:27. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:16   #38585
BHPian

Quote:
Until the revelations unfolded, I was under the impression that the boy was just unfortunate, sadly that's not the case anymore.
I'm sorry, but these charges could very well apply to any random 4-wheeler driver in India. I'm not condoning his actions.

I believe that "leaks" such as these are the favourite police ploy for deflecting public anger over the lack of strict enforcement of traffic laws.
buzzy_boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:54   #38586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Bike crash kills college student while crossing the road. The footage is typical of people's behaviour in Kerala. Students are not using zebra crossing even where provided. Biker doesn't seem to be slowing down even though this is said to be in front of a college. The news article says one of the girls passed away. The biker and the other girl has injuries.
Sad sight to see. Article says they were crossing the road with caution but they could have used the zebra crossing, and they stopped looking to their right after taking a few steps forward. Biker could have slowed down, the auto that stopped blocked view.

Please be safe :(
Old 27th July 2023, 10:15   #38587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Students are not using zebra crossing even where provided. Biker doesn't seem to be slowing down even though this is said to be in front of a college. The news article says one of the girls passed away. The biker and the other girl has injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Article says they were crossing the road with caution but they could have used the zebra crossing, and they stopped looking to their right after taking a few steps forward. Biker could have slowed down, the auto that stopped blocked view.
Though the students didn't take the zebra crossing, in this scenario it would have hardly mattered. The auto stopped right on the zebra crossing. The girls looked right and couldn't spot the biker because of auto. Biker, driving at much higher speed for the road conditions, took last second swirl around the auto without reducing speed. He had enough time to slow down seeing the stopped auto.

So, in my opinion, 99.9% fault lies with the biker.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:19   #38588
Senior - BHPian

When you are crossing the road, it does not matter who is at fault, because ultimately you will have to bear the brunt if things go wrong.

You need to keep looking both ways while crossing the road till you manage to get to the other side.

We need to be better pedestrians just as important as we need to be better drivers on road.
deathwalkr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:08   #38589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I'm sorry, but these charges could very well apply to any random 4-wheeler driver in India. I'm not condoning his actions.

I believe that "leaks" such as these are the favourite police ploy for deflecting public anger over the lack of strict enforcement of traffic laws.
Even if these are police leaks, a random/average 4-wheeler would not be speeding and accumulating 25 challans a month unless there is no tomorrow and/or when one doesn't care about laws like this hot-blooded teenager.

Got to see one more report from a local daily mentioning some investigation done by Jaguar and it says the accelerator was fully pushed at the time of accident.

https://deshgujarat.com/2023/07/25/j...-fully-pushed/
rahul1407 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:27   #38590
BHPian

Quote:
Even if these are police leaks, a random/average 4-wheeler would not be speeding and accumulating 25 challans a month unless there is no tomorrow and/or when one doesn't care about laws like this hot-blooded teenager.
I'm sorry, but doesn't the report say that the driver never received a challan?

The speed limit in my city is 40 KMPH. ~ 80% of the 4 wheelers drive over the speed limit. ~25% of the vehicles drive between 120 - 140 KMPH on dual-carriage ways.

Unless there's strict enforcement, such accidents are bound to happen.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 27th July 2023 at 11:36.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:56   #38591
Senior - BHPian

Hit-And-Run, Car Ploughs Into Biker, Students

https://www.ndtv.com/karnataka-news/...ndtv_topscroll

The students are extremely lucky. The idiotic biker started the sequence by turning into the oncoming lane without waiting and the car driver was speeding beyond permissible speeds. Both of them are equally responsible for this.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 12:22   #38592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

https://www.ndtv.com/karnataka-news/...ndtv_topscroll

The students are extremely lucky.
This reminds me of a horrific accident in Hyderabad killing 3 pedestrians. The girl is really lucky indeed to escape with minor injuries.

On a side note, this seems like a Jaguar XJ and makes me wonder what happened to Jaguars lately!

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th July 2023 at 12:29.
Old 27th July 2023, 12:23   #38593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The students are extremely lucky. The idiotic biker started the sequence by turning into the oncoming lane without waiting and the car driver was speeding beyond permissible speeds. Both of them are equally responsible for this.
The students are incredibly lucky and maybe should walk on the footpath. The biker had no business taking a turn like that.
Old 27th July 2023, 12:41   #38594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the car driver was speeding beyond permissible speeds.
That can't be concluded from the video as it has been slowed down. Let's wait for the official version.
Old 27th July 2023, 13:48   #38595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both of them are equally responsible for this.
And the girls too. They practically blocked one of the two lanes, all 3 (/4?) of them walking in parallel, when there was an empty footpath right adjacent to them. If they were using the footpath, this would have been a accident between the car and the bike only; and the car would have had the freedom to use the left lane.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks