Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2023, 23:47   #38551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
There is no respect for rules, laws, regulations and even an iota of consideration for others.
Look at this in Pune, with school vans full of children going the wrong way.
2nd pic is of a wave of vehicles going through a red light, with the countdown timer at 15 seconds. What kind of hurry are people in?
Things are going from bad to worse. Unless there is a massive clampdown on violators of all types, I don’t see any hope.
It should start by heavily penalising these type of people. They cannot be allowed to drive on road, period.

If such driver licenses are revoked whenever they are caught doing dangerous driving, it would be much safer for everyone else. (In today's world it's easy , with so much video and pictorial evidences at traffic enforcers disposal) Also authorities should keep basic infrastructure properly working for safe driving.

Afterall, driving license is a privilege based on skill, not a granted right.
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 01:13   #38552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
No one in the crowd , standing in a freshly minted accident site, would have been thinking about how they are standing on a patch of dark road and how they shouldnt be doing it.
But, that is the problem. They absolutely should have but didn't. Which doesn't give a driver any licence to drive into them.
Quote:
Many in this thread are giving hindsight wisdom
I guess that's what we do in this thread! But we also, as you go on to say, try to learn a thing or two.

Quote:
and I assume that they had never been in a position where most of the variables had aligned to create an accident and they escaped it by a hair's breadth .
I had been there, and luckily came out with no damage, but for a few variables acting to my advantage.
Probably most of us have. And we have not always been so lucky. And it wasn't always the other guy's fault.
Quote:
Events like that gives us more clarity and helps start treating accidents like accidents and not adding too much in hindsight as everything cannot be executed perfectly and shit happens.
It does. Perhaps especially on our roads. But when we do it it is our fault.

If I have a prayer, for myself and others, it is may all our accidents and narrow escapes be small and may we learn big lessons from them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:29   #38553
BHPian

I really feel for the driver of the Jaguar. Please don't get me wrong here. A Nineteen year old kid out on a joy ride with oodles of power in the middle of the night, and the last thing he would have expected was to plough into a group of people in the middle of the road. Remove the people from the equation, he still might have crashed into the vehicles which were involved in the accident earlier. What is the solution here, one wonders. He was in all probability driving with lights on dim, which is even more sad because not many people have the etiquette to do so.
The only reason this is getting so much publicity is because of the bystanders and the lives lost. Without that, the news might have read as Vehicles involved in multiple collision or even worse, this might not have even made it to the news. It is a fashion these days to allocate blame on someone and pat ourselves on the back saying, Yup- we got the culprit. A more efficient approach will be to try to evolve so that these kind of incidents don't happen again and not just to put the entire onus on the driver alone. We are all drivers and we all make mistakes. Nobody is going to drive perfectly all the time. The system must provide for giving foolproof infrastructure to stop such things happening again.
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:05   #38554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I really feel for the driver of the Jaguar. Please don't get me wrong here.
Sure, we are human: the rashest, most arrogant, ignorant teen has the opportunity to grow up into a decent adult. His life is, at the least, scarred.

Quote:
The only reason this is getting so much publicity is because of the bystanders and the lives lost.
Well, yes... that is the only reason. (ok, wealth and posh car draw more attention, but I think we'd still talk about it if it was a poorish guy in an alto?)

With so many dead, it is hardly a trivial accident to be easily forgotten.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:03   #38555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Look at this in Pune, with school vans full of children going the wrong way.
2nd pic is of a wave of vehicles going through a red light, with the countdown timer at 15 seconds. What kind of hurry are people in?
Happens in every City, but South is little better. Strange but blatant violators are let off by the Cops (even they fear for their lives) because they belong to the Rowdy category. And they penalize unintentional violators like crossing Orange light, but not clearing the junction before the light turns Red etc.,

If you observe the blatant violators, they are fearless of the law, riding on footpath or opposite side without a helmet / seat belt at high speed etc., They cover all the offenses in a single stroke.

Last edited by jaaz : 22nd July 2023 at 20:05.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:13   #38556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Some updates that we are getting locally:

(Edit: Link added): https://Youtu.be/aSWcLS33QJQ

If you see the video, you will find that the SUV driver - due to it being completely dark, had little to no time to react when he saw people on the road. Brakes are applied almost at the last second and you cannot see any of the people who are on the flyover.
Re: jag accident : I dont understand one thing. Going by the intensity of headlight flash before crash, it is clear the throw of the jag light was pretty good then why was it not continuously in high beam mode. Was the driver on low beam?
why did not ADAS kick in?

One reason for low beam could be that when we use blinker, the cars defaults to low beam mode and we'll need to manually switch to high beam again. Personally, sometimes It has taken few seconds for me to realise and turn on the high beam manually after using blinkers.

Last edited by univ_explorer : 22nd July 2023 at 20:20.
univ_explorer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 23:26   #38557
BHPian

Cops were there and they were busy helping the injured or doing the formalities. It is of their responsibility to provide safety warning by means of reflectors or warning lights to warn and force the vehicles to reduce the speed before they pass by the accident area.
Safety should be part of their training..
E C U is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:37   #38558
BHPian

Some update in the news about Jaguar accident in Gujarat.

Quote:
TIMES OF INDIA: Teen driver Tathya Patel and his friends were reportedly engrossed in boisterous activities inside his father’s Jaguar SUV, including tickling each other and playing loud music while racing down the road, leading to distraction and the eventual accident on the Iskcon flyover in Ahmedabad that claimed nine lives after midnight on Thursday.
Quote:
TIMES OF INDIA: Police said Saturday the reckless behaviour of 19-year-old Tathya and his friends — three girls and two boys — resulted in the Jaguar careening out of control and crashing into a group of people gathered on the rain-soaked flyover to check out another accident that had occurred shortly before when a 16-year-old boy crashed his father’s Mahindra Thar into a dumper truck.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../102046499.cms

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2023 at 17:12. Reason: Fixing url
DetectiveMiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:14   #38559
BHPian

I guess don't go and checkout accidents when there is crowd already. I don't anyhow. Always creates more issues and is a safety hazard. Plus small chance the good samaritans can be heckled by the law agents.

Also, don't give teens/new drivers costly and powerful vehicles. Similar to not giving teens a Duke 390 as first bike or an iphone as first phone. This stupid mentality still exists today and its not like the parents had access to mercs as their first car.

Last edited by Senotrius : 23rd July 2023 at 09:18.
Senotrius is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:14   #38560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
No, I had just started from my house, had only done 100 meters, and I did not even see the pigs, as I was more focused on cycling. It was not even in my peripheral vision, until I saw it right in my face. It actually took me a couple seconds to even realize what had happened. Luckily there was no vehicle behind or ahead of me, or else, I may not be writing this post.
Many years back, I have had a very similar accident in the town of Hospet. I too escaped without any injuries. A few piglings suddenly decided to cross the road. One or two of them got across but one of them came and hit the cycle wheel and I fell down. I did not even have the time to apply brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...I suspect you might have been pedaling rather briskly to have not been able to stop immediately. Or may be you assumed you could navigate your way through this sounder of pigs. Maybe you did not want to stop or maybe you did not spot them early enough or maybe you were unfortunate in getting caught in their midst in a matter of seconds. I'll give you benefit of the doubt. Pigs are near sighted creatures. Their binocular vision is limited to the front 35 to 50 degrees only unlike ours. Their ability to see and judge objects coming from the side is limited, more so than even a cow's.
Pigs are very unpredictable and they just run across the roads at high speeds. Did not know about their vision. May be that is the reason why they do that. Irrespective of one's speed, very easy to get hit by them.

I have had another horrific animal related accident, again in the town of Hospet. I was cycling back to my place of residence and as I turned and entered the road leading to that, I saw a group of buffaloes running at full speed towards me. I stopped my cycle but they just ran through me, knocking me and the cycle down. I could have got fatally injured if they had trampled on me. Probably it was a miracle that nothing happened to me and my cycle only had minor damages. I am very wary of buffaloes on the roads. They simply will not give way or deviate much from their paths even if you are stationery and in the middle of their path. You just have to pray that they pass by without harming you or your vehicle. It is better to come to a complete stop when you see buffaloes coming towards you or are crossing the road. If there is enough gap to navigate through or around them, do it very slowly.
pjbiju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:16   #38561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Some update in the news about Jaguar accident in Gujarat.
Whoa, what a mess. Two teen drivers crashing someone else's car in succession at the same spot? Reality is weirder than fiction.

I wonder what happened to the first illegal teen driver though. He's probably lucky that a greater idiot appeared to steal the attention away from him.

PS: Team-BHP should really include the facepalm emoji in their emoticon pack, because that was my reaction to this news.

Last edited by Small Bot : 23rd July 2023 at 09:18.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:09   #38562
BHPian

Seems like the "19-year-old" is a habitual offender.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...uly-3-8855045/

Also, a series of reports on this accident is rather revealing of the individual who is in the spotlight:

https://www.thestatesman.com/who-is/...503203048.html

Not judging - just for information.
Pennant1970 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:35   #38563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennant1970 View Post
Seems like the "19-year-old" is a habitual offender.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...uly-3-8855045/

Also, a series of reports on this accident is rather revealing of the individual who is in the spotlight:

https://www.thestatesman.com/who-is/...503203048.html

Not judging - just for information.
OK.
So all this new information clearly states the 19 year old boy wasn't paying full attention on the road which lead to the accident. As we all were wondering even if it was dark the Jag headlights would be powerful enough to make people out much before he braked.

A 16 year old with no license is first offender which lead to the chain of events which transpired. I hope his parents are also booked for giving him the car.

A 19 year old is given a Thar and a Jag to do whatever he pleases to on road. Great parenting and unfortunately such parents are aplenty. Money can buy you class or common sense.

I really feel for the people who were killed and injured. Maybe they were helping, maybe they were looking, maybe they didn't thought of standing on the road in dark, but they are unfortunate victims.
harry10 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 11:32   #38564
Senior - BHPian

This may be a bit OT, but it appears that people in India have simply become rich and quite a bit irresponsible- Pune probably tops the list of the most irresponsible drivers in the major Indian cities, with their complete defiance of helmet rules, wrong side driving including on over foot paths, lack of lane discipline, rushing headlong along the side into a jammed single lane road to create further bottlenecks.
Old 23rd July 2023, 12:39   #38565
BHPian

People like these are ruining the image of young drivers. It’s a concoction of money, “connections”, 19 year old blood and the ego that comes with all of it.

I’m 21 and I witness first-hand what this cocktail is like. I too had access to fast cars by the time I was 19 after a year of driving my Honda City so it’s not impossible for a young driver to drive sanely and safely. My dad always ensured I wasn’t in over my head when I was getting to grips with driving and I was made to pay any speeding fines/tickets from my allowance. However in this case, looks like the apple has fallen right beside the tree.

P.S- To everyone saying the road wasn’t lit properly, if you can’t see a whole crowd of people in a Jag with the brights switched on, you should slow down. Considerably.

Last edited by revsperminute : 23rd July 2023 at 12:47. Reason: Read an article describing the incident in detail
revsperminute is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks