sarav100 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 19:07   #39272
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
Van driver crashes into barrier:
https://Youtu.be/h93b7wkJoj8?si=rggkinSJPNeXRGVe
The van looks like a Nissan Evalia which is quite rare on the roads. Possibly the driver misjudged the width of the gap. Must have been a 'total loss' considering the poor availability of after sales support.
Rajeev1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 20:13   #39273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
"The Gentleman" here was the owner of that tractor and had initiated that stunt with it. The tractor stunt was threatening to run over people gathered to watch it. He then tried to make it right, but it was a dangerous manoeuvre he thought to pull off, and ended up paying the ultimate price.

Source: https://twitter.com/Gagan4344/status...07570409906191
In a tweet below, it was mentioned that Punjab CM has now banned these events.

Although bans are for the safety of the participants and audience, but rather than banning, govt should ensure that these events are conducted safely. They are gathering on a private property and doing experiments with their machines and entertaining everyone for maybe a paltry ticket. I would not disturb them much.

Every other sport is dangerous and people have got killed on cricket fields! Rather than banning throwing a ball at 150 km/hr at someone, we invented helmet!

The event could be conducted in a barricaded ground, with remote kill switches etc etc.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 21:06   #39274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Noticed this Innova that by the looks of it rear ended another vehicle. I dont have any details as it was parked on the roadside near the toll booth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I am observing this car from 2 weeks at Shamirpet Toll.
One of the deceased is a relative of a friend of mine. Apparently, they were returning from Tirumala and this happened in the early hours. The vehicle rammed into a stationary lorry from behind. The force was such that the lorry toppled (as seen in the visuals). The cause was ruled as drowsiness.
furyrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 21:20   #39275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
One of the deceased is a relative of a friend of mine. Apparently, they were returning from Tirumala and this happened in the early hours. The vehicle rammed into a stationary lorry from behind. The force was such that the lorry toppled (as seen in the visuals). The cause was ruled as drowsiness.
May his soul rest in peace.
Yes, I was shocked to see an Innova/ Crysta in such a bad shape. Had to have been a high impact crash to cause such a damage.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 01:33   #39276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

The Tractor was running on its own without an operator at the controls/wheel. It was made to hold a wheelie (full gas pedal down) and go around in tight circles. Beats me how they do it.

The Gentleman in the Red Turban sensed something amiss, and went near the tractor (may be to stop it, or let go off the gas pedal, or apply brake, or turn it off, basically he approached a wheelie tractor without a driver). He held his hand up like a typical farmer/cow herder who calls out to the Herd to get into the shed. (I grew up in a village, so I know how a Gaai-wala how he controls the herd, I am not trying to disrespect the deceased here)
Judging by how desperate the stuntman looked, and how the tractor was completely out of control, I think the tractor was a rare case of a runaway diesel engine, where the revs cannot be controlled and unfortunately even stopping a runaway diesel engine is hard when it is completely stationary(assuming the person don't exactly know what to do and don't have the composure to make a wise decision).

Another thing that might contribute to this theory is the fact that the tractor is on two wheels, and the engine is tilted upwards - thereby making it harder to lubricate pretty much an entire half of it, which may have led to a diesel engine runaway. RIP

I am not completely sure if I'm correct but this is what I think that may have happened.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 31st October 2023 at 01:37.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 11:18   #39277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I hail from a place very close to where the passengers have come from and I felt very disturbed seeing this news. Imagine the gloom that would have descended in the village or two from where around 15 people have passed away. Most of them have families/children back in their villages and are working in Bangalore for their livelihood.

Don't want to speculate on the reasons, fog could be a major culprit here.
Me and my family passed this location about an hour before this accident. It was dark and foggy and I guess the fog came down more by this time.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 20:12   #39278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
...the engine is tilted upwards - thereby making it harder to lubricate pretty much an entire half of it, which may have led to a diesel engine runaway
Excellent observation. One of the things that happens besides the sump going dry (and bottom end drying up) is the valve cover/head is flooded with oil. And tractor engine being a tractor engine, there is a chance of oil passing through valve seats and entering the combustion chamber and this can lead to a jump in RPM.

It is my theory and not substantiated anywhere.

If that is the case, then even turning off the key (& the Diesel FIP solenoid cutting off diesel to the nozzles) engine may not turn off because it is in the combustion cycle of burning hot and thin engine oil stored inside the valve cover (it is not as thin as diesel, but still...!) and will carry on till the time it becomes too difficult to combust the thinned out hot engine oil by itself without the power of diesel from nozzles.

Crazy theory, but not impossible.
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 21:43   #39279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Not justifying the Scorpio's actions but what is with cops nowadays, they put barricades anywhere on roads and start checking papers right there. They themselves are not following any rules. It looks like several factors such as sudden blockade of broad pathway, night lights and rash driving collectively caused the incident here.
Cops have the right to setup blockades and Nakabandi. Whether it is safe? No. Whether it's illegal ? I don't know. Best is to be aware that one is in India and to expect roadblocks without warning beacons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Attachment 2522283

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../104739945.cms

One colleague lost her life in this accident. Such a nice woman whose life was cut short in a horrible way.

The last time I took an overnight bus was 15 years back. As someone who is skinny and can't tolerate low temperatures, I came to the driver's cabin to see the Kallada bus overtaking so many cars. I just glanced to the speedometer, it was hovering around 140kms/hr to my horror. The roads from Kerala to Bangalore were not that great at that time! I was terrified for the rest of the journey and couldn't go back to my seat. I stood there for 4-6 hours till the bus reached Kalasipalaya in Bangalore! I have never set foot in one till now. The thought of that ride sends chills down my spine still.
I assume you took a video and chided the driver for driving at that speed. If you do that other passengers will curse you but it's the correct thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't know why people drive fast in congested cities like ours. Leaving a few families bereaving and spending your time behind the bars is not exciting.

Come to Hyderabad. We have ORR, where driving at 120 km/hr for the full day is possible and legal.
Believe me, you will start doing lesser speeds after a few days, either due to boredom or due to surging fuel bills!

Graphic content warning:
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=7uI2SEY8...Eac8LzrH0A6ZgZ
Relatively low speed accident but looks like he was pinned between the auto and the car. Also must have had a bad head injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
When I have to walk on a footpath or a road that doesn't have a footpath, as a rule, I walk with vehicles coming in my direction so that I can see them and never ever with vehicles coming from my back side. By doing so, I have the opportunity to see if I am in harm's way and use that micro milli second to move out of harm's way. I would never walk on a footpath with vehicles coming around my back.

It's a very small cautionary action, but it helps. Ofcourse if a vehicle from other/ opposite side jumps lane and hits me, there's nothing much I can do about it
My mom had told me this back in 1985 when I was a 5 year old kid. I don't see today's modern parents telling this to their kids since they themselves walk on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw this Nexon on the expressway. It happened seconds before I passed the spot, so I pulled over and offered to help (or drive someone to the hospital). Luckily, just the driver onboard and he had only a small bruise on his knee.

He admitted that he was sleepy and just dozed off - the Nexon drove itself into the guard rail.

Please read this article of mine (Drowsiness & Sleepy Driving: The silent killer on Indian roads), and ensure you are well-rested before driving, guys!

Attachment 2515189
I wonder if the police file criminal charges against such people? Dozing while driving should be a crime under "driving in a way that endangers other road users". With a modern car like a Nexon it should be easy to find out whether there was any steering input from the driver. If not it means he dozed off. The usual ruse of "steering" did not work" or "brakes failed" should be easy to disrprove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
May his soul rest in peace.
Yes, I was shocked to see an Innova/ Crysta in such a bad shape. Had to have been a high impact crash to cause such a damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Unfortunately in India we tend to start a trip on day 1 finish the work and start return journey in the early hours. Recipe for a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The bus oversteered! A powerslide (phenomenal save but it was his fault in the first place)
Goes to show the pedal to the metal driving antics of the buses coupled with tyres not upto the track level cornering being done in the wet!
I think he over-corrected; twice ! Easy to say but tough to follow the textbook procedure of letting go of the throttle and steering where you want the vehicle to go but not excessively.

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 31st October 2023 at 21:45.
Old 1st November 2023, 09:54   #39280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
I assume you took a video and chided the driver for driving at that speed. If you do that other passengers will curse you but it's the correct thing to do.
My wife had gone for an office offsite trip and the bus they had arranged was driving rashly. They went and asked the driver to driver slowly and informed they aren’t in any rush. Instead of slowing down, the driver got a rush from the fact that people were getting scared and kept driving rashly (and even more so).

I was sitting at home and praying she comes home safely. They eventually complained via their office against the driver.

Some drivers are just true nut cases. It gives them an arousal to drive like this and take a sadistic pleasure in the fact that people are getting scared.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 10:07   #39281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

I was sitting at home and praying she comes home safely. They eventually complained via their office against the driver.
Reminds me of that joke where a driver and a priest dies and the former is sent to heaven where as the latter is sent to hell. The priest on confronting God about this unfair treatment has this to say "When you pray only you pray but when he drives every one prays". I think you have spotted a driver who will definitely go to heaven, probably as fast as he drives. Unfortunately India is filled with such drivers.
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:14   #39282
BHPian

Came across this article where a Kia Seltos collided with cattle during late night hours on NH50 in Karnataka. Stray cattle wandering around the roads is a severe menace. The vehicle seems to have suffered heavy damage, but fortunately no loss of life of the passengers.

https://www.cartoq.com/kia-seltos-cr...night-driving/

IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 14:58   #39283
Senior - BHPian

Some statistics from MoRTH.

A total of 4,61,312 road accidents occurred in 2022, which claimed 1,68,491 lives, while 4,43,366 people were injured, according to a new report released by the Ministry of #Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le67480203.ece
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 15:14   #39284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Came across this article where a Kia Seltos collided with cattle during late night hours on NH50 in Karnataka. Stray cattle wandering around the roads is a severe menace. The vehicle seems to have suffered heavy damage, but fortunately no loss of life of the passengers.
Stray cattle is surely a menace. However, driving at more than 100kmph at night on a non-access controlled highway is invitation to disaster; as happened in this case.

Personally speaking, I drive a tad below 100kmph even on an access controlled highway even in broad daylight keeping to the middle lane. Better safe than sorry.
AutoNoob is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 10:02   #39285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
A minor accident happened in front of me and was captured in my dashcam. ....... The corolla would have seen the innova if it went around the round about instead of cutting through. The round about blocked vision of oncoming traffic.
It appears to be sunflag hospital roundabout. That junction is notorious. I don't understand why traffic light is not functioning and blinkers are on. That's a major junction and it's daytime. Sometimes even after red traffic light, people cross it and also cut through roundabout instead of going around it.

Similar story with the roundabout near QRG hospital. People need to be patient.
Amity is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks