Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 12:48   #39136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Accident inside college campus leaves 2 students in critical condition.

A professor mistakenly hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal while parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have sometimes reflected that even experienced drivers make mistakes. For instance, selecting the wrong gear. Even forward/reverse confusion. But we have to realise and correct instantly.

I find accelerator/brake confusion hard to believe.

My wife committed this mistake right at the time when we approached a 'T' junction. She was learning to drive our newly acquired used AT-equipped car in 2018 and she panicked upon arriving at a major road junction and slammed the accelerator instead of the brake. I am a crappy teacher and was at the front passenger seat; I babbled for a moment about what she had done but I managed to pull back the emergency brake's handle. The car's torque converter transmission hadn't yet conveyed the engine's rotations to the wheels thankfully and my wife understood what had just happened and pressed the brake pedal.

She did that...and a few more major mistakes as well, such as hitting another car on a twisty road.

But thankfully, she's good behind the wheel now. It was her panic that made her do all of those things. She always had the ability to drive well, but the situations that came up on the road would bring out a lot of panic in her.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 21:22   #39137

A brand new Tata Nexon Ev toppled post-collision with a divider along Vizag Beach Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snapchat1634024378.jpg  

KrishnaMohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 22:21   #39138
BHPian

Accident between an Endeavour and a Bus.

Link- https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyH-4eRpvlE/

My assumption is the Ford Driver jumped the signal as 2 Buses were travelling back to back in the same direction. Atleast the Endeavour driver was belted since Airbags were deployed. Sad to see how it panned out for the Bikers who were waiting at the signal. Also, absolute stupidity from the Next Bus Driver to rush through the Junction.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 10th October 2023 at 22:24.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:08   #39139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post

My assumption is the Ford Driver jumped the signal as 2 Buses were travelling back to back in the same direction. Atleast the Endeavour driver was belted since Airbags were deployed. Sad to see how it panned out for the Bikers who were waiting at the signal. Also, absolute stupidity from the Next Bus Driver to rush through the Junction.
What more I find it appalling that this video is showcased to demonstrate the thickness of Endeavours body shell. In any sane universe this should be a demonstration of the thickheaded-ness of a SUV driver or the bus driver(s). Well we are talking about instagram driving videos. Assume any iota of sanity there itself requires a level of thickheadedness that probably is only surpassed by the specimen in the video.
electric_eel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 14:25   #39140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishnaMohan View Post
A brand new Tata Nexon Ev toppled post-collision with a divider along Vizag Beach Road.
... and it didn't catch fire which is great. Hope the occupants are safe.
Old 11th October 2023, 15:39   #39141

Quote:
I have sometimes reflected that even experienced drivers make mistakes. For instance, selecting the wrong gear. Even forward/reverse confusion. But we have to realise and correct instantly.

I remember one forward/reverse confusion I had when manoeuvring in a very restricted space. There was a car inches away in front of me. I put 1st instead of reverse --- and then stopped instantly. Even the car owner, who was watching, could hardly believe I hadn't touched it.

I find accelerator/brake confusion hard to believe. Anything is possible, and I'm not saying that it would never happen to me. What has happened is catching my shoe when moving the foot to the brake. Nothing bad resulted. Yet.
Yes, I just realized that it is indeed possible to hit the Accelerator instead of Brake. It happened to me, last Sunday, again inside a "Campus" while I was strolling (probably @ 10kmph) out from the parking lot. Being a campus, there was no traffic, just couple of people walking along the driveway/internal road. I have just set the wheels rolling and was adjusting myself in my seat (not the height or the recline, just relaxing myself to a comfortable position), there came a 90 degree left turn. Assuming a little tap on my brake will assist me to comfortably cut my MUV into the road on the left, I tapped the Accelerator pedal for a fraction. That was enough to take me by surprise, as the vehicle zoomed forward and lost the radius of the expected cut/curve. The quick reflex helped me to gain control and stopped me few feet away from an unsuspecting pedestrian. When I looked back, I realized, my foot was casually positioned on the floor rather then beside the pedals. While it is a learning, I regret for such a behavior, which is not expected from a person behind the wheels for more than 23yrs with just one minor rear-ending under his cap
Street_Smart is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 20:49   #39142

Quote:

It happened next to my workplace. The actual scenario as per cops were the buses were racing and the signal was red. Endeavour was just zipping past a green signal and as this happened early morning the bus driver 'guessed' the roads would be empty. Moreover bus races between private operators in Kolkata in quite normal and its an every day scenario. The Endeavour is a 2021 registered so a relatively new vehicle damaged for no fault of the driver.
AjitSen6333 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 07:32   #39143
BHPian

Quote:

I find accelerator/brake confusion hard to believe. Anything is possible, and I'm not saying that it would never happen to me. What has happened is catching my shoe when moving the foot to the brake. Nothing bad resulted. Yet.
That is what i used to believe too, until i was on the receiving end of the same. I was supposed to turn right (on my bike). The junction was relatively free and another bike had just passed and i followed the bike. The taxi guy took his leg off the clutch and the vehicle jumped forward. The next thing i know, he hit me. Later he confessed that he pressed the accelerator hard, instead of the brake.

Yeah. It happens.

As far as the second bit is concerned, i have a tip for all of you here, if you face the same issue. Try tilting your foot a bit towards the accelerator itself. This setup makes it impossible for your shoe to get caught in between.

ie, use more of your little toe side to press, instead of the big toe side.
Old 13th October 2023, 09:54   #39144
Senior - BHPian

76-year-old hit by SUV in Noida condominium, dies

Source: TOI

Video: NDTV

Quote:
...was walking on a road inside her society, was knocked down by an SUV, whose driver was allegedly talking on the phone... ...the car coming out of the parking ramp... the driver of the SUV took Krishna to the hospital...
Coming out of parking ramp and being distracted is dangerous mix. One doesn't have clear view of surroundings and therefore extra caution is required.

Two families are badly affected due to callousness of the driver.

Quote:
...Her family declined to get an autopsy done or lodge a complaint, police said on Thursday... DCP Harsh Chander said "...We are waiting for a complaint to be lodged..."
Why filing of complaint is required to register a case when there is clear video evidence for the accident (crime??). Legal experts please clarify.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 11:37   #39145
BHPian

Hyundai Eon losses control in a curve and smashes boundary wall of an house.
Brilliantly parked but subject to material losses. Location :Malapuram, Kerala.

tiagoatrix is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 12:58   #39146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post

https://Youtu.be/Iq6KFrDBg30?si=5SuDlH8aFCRB40Pa
Man, what the car is this Eon. Looks far better than more expensive cars. It looks like a rock solid car and knocks of the wall/gate, climbs up like a bump and lands safely. The driver walks out casually but puzzled on what happened.

No pun but happy that no serious injuries to anyone over there and more happy to see that old cars are strong enough.
Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 13:25   #39147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In my opinion both are at fault.
Don't know who jumped the signal. However, both were speeding like anything crossing a junction without bothering to slow down and look for incoming vehicles. Unlucky bikers obeying the traffic light got hit for no fault of theirs. Both of these drivers license should be suspended for a long time.
Old 13th October 2023, 15:00   #39148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In my opinion both are at fault.
Don't know who jumped the signal.
A fellow BHPian has answered as what actually happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitSen6333 View Post
It happened next to my workplace. The actual scenario as per cops were the buses were racing and the signal was red. Endeavour was just zipping past a green signal and as this happened early morning the bus driver 'guessed' the roads would be empty. Moreover bus races between private operators in Kolkata in quite normal and its an every day scenario. The Endeavour is a 2021 registered so a relatively new vehicle damaged for no fault of the driver.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 16:02   #39149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post

https://Youtu.be/Iq6KFrDBg30?si=5SuDlH8aFCRB40Pa
Such a MEME worthy accident. But could have gone wrong in so many ways - the biker who just crossed the path, no kids playing in the yard, no toppling, no serious injuries to the passengers, no oncoming truck/KSRTC.

But what happened? Was it just a oversteer - countersteer and caught a drift and into the house?
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 19:52   #39150
BHPian

Another accident inside a housing society.

No place left for pedestrians in our country.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks