Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 10:35   #38791
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this accident on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwEu7...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Seems two impatient drivers but thankfully no injuries.

Name:  Accident in Gandhi Nagar Karnataka.png
Views: 749
Size:  338.2 KB

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2023 at 08:25. Reason: Fixing link
DevD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:47   #38792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post

Note: This will be a long post, so please bear with me.
Could you please post the crash part of the video, as it helps to understand how it happened.

Thank You.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 16:34   #38793
BHPian

I had my left ORVM cover broken by a speeding bike today, around an hour ago. I was slowing down to take a U-turn and he overtook me from the left. His handlebar hit my mirror slightly, in fact it did not even seem that heavy a hit as his bike never even wobbled and the mirror did not give way like it normally does when bikers swipe it. So, a very minor accident only.

But when I came home, I realised the cover is cracked. The mirror assembly might need to be replaced as the clamps on the edge have snapped exposing the wiring.

I suppose I'll have to claim insurance for replacement. I already had made a claim for a bumper panel replacement earlier this year, so NCB is lost anyway. So I can do so with peace of mind.

Last edited by Small Bot : 28th August 2023 at 16:38.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 17:00   #38794
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've noticed that most of the pickups that ferry new 2 wheelers have enlarged platforms protruding outside the original frame of the vehicle.
Attaching the image of such a pickup that I clicked today. The red line marks the actual width of the cab whereas the blue line marks the width of the platform made to carry the bikes. The yellow rectangle has a contraption that latches on to the bikes around their handle to prevent them from falling over. To the left is the front of the bike and to the right side is the rest of the bike.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230828_163415.jpg

Such pickups can cause serious damages and disabilities to people and vehicles especially at night. But law enforcement is sleeping like always. Well, of they cannot take action on Jugaad vehicles, these are just normal for them.
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:36   #38795
BHPian

I'm on my Kerala ride now and it's easy now to understand why it's a regular incidence. Saw atleast 3 such accidents from Vagamon to Varkala till now, one such on the Alleppey flyover. Two wheelers and pedestrians carelessly entering the road without looking either side, mostly being in the wrong lane on ghat sections (had a couple of nasty surprises by cars and the aanavandis) on the Munnar Vagamon Alleppey route. The major culprits are these boleros and autos which suddenly veer off to the opposite when they have to turn into a side road or a petrol bunk instead of slowing down, indicating and turning, had a couple of scary close calls there too. Kerala has to crack down on these maniacs and instill proper driving rather than AI cameras enforcing helmet rule.
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:43   #38796
BHPian

Saw this video on YouTube.

It is not clear if the XUV700 was parked next to the truck or it was passing by when the incident happened. Don't know if this is pure bad luck or "kismat kharab tha!".

Apparently passengers escaped unhurt, in which case the car has done it's job and saved previous lives.

John316_WRC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 23:59   #38797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
It is not clear if the XUV700 was parked next to the truck or it was passing by when the incident happened.
That's not a video. That's just a few pics repeated, some background music and a formulaic commentary. As in, similar to 80% of such Indian car safety videos on YouTube.

Also, I find it hard to believe that anybody inside the car would have escaped with their lives intact, let alone unhurt. I think the car would have mostly been parked and unoccupied when the container lorry toppled over it.
Small Bot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 08:21   #38798
BHPian

There’s a description on the video presumably from a newspaper clipping. Truck was undergoing some repair on the roadside and the jack beneath the truck gave way resulting in its toppling on the car. There’s no mention of any injury or death. Looking at the car tyres we can assume the container was empty.
Old 29th August 2023, 09:12   #38799
BHPian

A fire incident happened at Madurai Railway yard took 9 lives and injured 20 people on Saturday, 26th August.

The reason has been found to be illegal use of inflammable substances (gas cylinder) to cook, prepare Tea etc by passengers in the coach.

The entire coach was booked by a Travel agency for travel/pilgrimage from Lucknow to Rameshwaram.

What a sad and unnecessary loss of lives and injuries
When will we as a community learn to value life and obey simple rules/laws?
My blood boils when I repeatedly see reports of such loss of lives which is totally avoidable. My mind refuses to call these as 'accidents' which should actually mean something that had an element beyond any human control.
Old 29th August 2023, 09:49   #38800

The width of the loading bay on the Bolero is clearly wider than thebolero cabin.
In this case warning or hazard lights need to be fixed to indicate the width of the vehicle. In absense of these hazard lights the Bolero's head lights were the only warning to indicate the width of the Bolero. This was probably not factored by the poor Jimny driver which caused the doors of the Jimny to be torn off.
I wonder how loading bays wider than the width of the fron cabin are allowed and passed by the RTO. I see so many velicle transport trucks on our highways plying unfettered with the loading bay wider by atleast 2 feet on either side without any hazard lights.
Here we are fined for adding accesories on the exterior of the car. Seriously we need to file a PIL allowing proper bull bars all around to keep us safe from the scores of ignoramuses on our roads like pedestrians, bullock carts , bike, car and trucks with everything illegal on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
nfs250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 10:52   #38801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
...In this accident only one out of 6 pillars took ALL of the crash energy of two 2 tonne + vehicles hurtling towards each other.

A pillars have no chance here. A Merc. G WAGEN's A pillar isn't designed for this kind of loading
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
... In this case, all of crash energy was focused on the A-pillar, and it may simply not be designed to absorb, and more importantly dissipate, all of it.

On the Jimny accident, agree with you. The point of impact being the A pillar, no car stood a chance, especially since the Bolero's loading bay is completely made of cast iron / mild steel (IIRC) which are very resistant to deformation, does not absorb any of the energy transferring everything to the other object.

The angled edge made it a point impact, wedging the door and eventually tearing off the sheet metal which had ripped off at the weld points on the roof.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 22:34   #38802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs250 View Post
Seriously we need to file a PIL allowing proper bull bars all around to keep us safe from the scores of ignoramuses on our roads like pedestrians, bullock carts , bike, car and trucks with everything illegal on them.
Then a PIL would have to filed to protect us from all the bullbar users!

I take your point, but adding yet further danger into the mix is not the answer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 06:20   #38803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Could you please post the crash part of the video, as it helps to understand how it happened.
Hi man, unfortunately, I am not allowed to do that by the Swaraj Mazda driver and the Compass owner as they think that it will invade their privacy. I have tried convincing them that this will allow BHPians to assist them better, but the Compass owner says he will resolve the issue peacefully (doesn't want to go the hard way) and the Swaraj Mazda driver says his vehicle does not have major damages, so he will let it go.

I know that I should have stressed on the facts, but I felt that it was his decision and we should respect him, so I let it free. Sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
Old 30th August 2023, 13:09   #38804
BHPian

Skoda ?Octavia, hits a concrete mixer truck from behind, at a very high speed. Just look at the condition of the car, the single person driving the Skoda was killed on the spot, may his soul RIP, an I20 also hit the Skoda from behind. Don't be overconfident that a safe car will save you, whatever comes, the most important is safe driving.
https://fb.watch/mKGnOVzAdt/?mibextid=NnVzG8
gsratta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 15:31   #38805
BHPian

Scorpio N accidents on flyover.

World is really filled with insane people and concentration is much higher in India.

As per this news article for same accident, airbags did not work.

https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-scor...-result-video/

Last edited by KumarS : 30th August 2023 at 15:34. Reason: Added news article link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks