Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 08:52   #23941

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
....From what I know, this is less than 100 meter from where they started the bike. They were trying to over-take the Mahindra Bolero Pick-up while they met head on with the AutoRikshaw, who tried his best. ..
Got the same video from another source

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2019 at 08:07. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 30th June 2017, 10:50   #23942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If only Gujarat would allow meat and liquor to be served in the state itself .. those who want to stay vegetarian and sober can definitely still remain so

This is very similar to the chennai to Pondy route a decade or two back when there was prohibition
In Mahatma Gandhi's name, the Gujarat govt had imposed prohibition. But the truth is that it was a dirty ploy to get fat cuts from illegal country made and IMFL liquor sales(Politician-Police-Goon nexus). The price of a bottle or can of liquor doubles(in some cases triples) when sold illegally in Gujarat and it is an open secret that liquor is freely available at a premium in Gujarat if you know where to look.

Earlier this year, the current Gujarat CM said he wanted a completely non-veg free diet Gujarat!!! With such regressive mindset and the fear of loss of black money made through illegal liquor sales, there is no way prohibition will ever be removed in Gujarat. Till then, people will continue visiting places like Mt Abu/Diu to drink liquor and DUI accidents will keep on happening.
skanchan95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 18:02   #23943
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted late last night on the Western Express Highway. Looks like the cabbie spun out of control on wet roads. Cop blamed it on wornout tyres. I believe no one was seriously hurt.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170630-00.44.18.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 18:19   #23944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This is very similar to the chennai to Pondy route a decade or two back when there was prohibition
Chennai to Pondicherry on ECR is even today a dangerous drive, due to the price differential.
Old 30th June 2017, 18:21   #23945
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully the app based cabs often have speed limiters and the drivers too keep speeds under 80s.

Worn out tyres is more likely as roads are wet, and being a cab, the owner might have wanted to squeeze the tures (pun intended) to the fullest.
Old 30th June 2017, 19:02   #23946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Thankfully the app based cabs often have speed limiters and the drivers too keep speeds under 80s.
Really? AFAIK Uber and Ola do not have any electronic speed limiters installed on the cabs. The cost of ownership of the car and damages incurred, are borne by the driver as he is the owner and that is how their business model is structured. It makes no sense for them to be investing further capital into installing speed limiters on every car. All I have heard of is that they are implementing some sort of app based warning system when one crosses 80kph, but that's about it.

I guess the reason why you see most OLA/Ubers under 80kph is also due to the fact that a lot of them just do drive excruciatingly slowly. So many people from villages or with zero background with motors and driving, just apply for a license, get it (you know how easy it is in this country) and then drive for OLA/Uber, and their lack of experience shines through. It is very rarely that I get to see someone who can drive a cab well anymore.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 19:21   #23947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
AFAIK Uber and Ola do not have any electronic speed limiters installed on the cabs. All I have heard of is that they are implementing some sort of app based warning system when one crosses 80kph, but that's about it.
Uber already has app based speed warning for the driver. A red icon pops up when speed crosses speed limit. Not sure there is a sound warning or not. I've seen this happening at 80kmph in Bangalore airport road.

Probably driver might be fined if they drive above speed limit for some time. This should be good enough to act as a psychological speed limiter . Since GPS based speedometers are accurate enough, this app based 'speed limiters' might do the trick.

On the other hand, my colleague was picked up by an Audi for Ola prime and the driver was driving at tripple digit speeds in Airport. So, either ola don't have this feature or this guy don't care.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 22:02   #23948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Uber already has app based speed warning for the driver.
There is a penalty if the driver keeps overspending regularly. Plus the user feedback has an impact as well. Zoomcar has OBD in place to penalise drivers who cross a pre-specified limit for a car.

The problem however is not speed. The other day I had to take an Uber to get to the service station and pick my car. It was clear to me immediately that the driver had little or no experience driving on the highway. Things became scary when he was tailgating a truck and then tried to get into the left lane blindly only to be faced by another slow moving truck. All this tried to counter while lugging his Swift Dzire in 5th gear with a foot on the clutch.

My point being, even driving under the speed limit it is fairly easy to screw up.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 22:49   #23949
Distinguished - BHPian

Date: 29th June 2017
Place: Valadi, Lalgudi - Trichy State highway
Time: 9:30 pm

I was driving my safari, a bus and a lorry were moving in my front, with the lorry leading. I saw two poor guys pushing a cart (without any reflectors ofcourse) and were walking along the direction of moving traffic in our lane(their backs facing the traffic).
To my utter shock, the lorry kept moving directly in the line where the guys were walking. As expected, he banged them both and the cart, it looked like the lorry ran over them, and then the lorry lost control and toppled as it fell into the gutter by the side of the road, taking down the overhead electric line, causing a minor fire/sparks.

Everyone in the bus were shocked and none got down(fearing electric line would be live), I got down from my safari and neared them, luckily i saw them both moving in pain(i was afraid that they were run over by the tyres), and called 108(TN emergency ambulance service). One guy was lucky toget up and sit, the other guy was hurt badly in his legs and was not fully conscious. The ambulance reached within 10 minutes and they were taken to the hospital.

I found the lorry and cart still lying in the same spot this morning and i got it recorded in my helmet cam. Find the footage below:

I guess the lorry driver was either drunk/asleep or did not focus on the road. I was able to clearly see those guys walking. No one checked about them as we were all concerned about these two guys.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th June 2017 at 23:01.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 05:12   #23950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I guess the reason why you see most OLA/Ubers under 80kph is also due to the fact that a lot of them just do drive excruciatingly slowly. So many people from villages or with zero background with motors and driving, just apply for a license, get it (you know how easy it is in this country) and then drive for OLA/Uber, and their lack of experience shines through. It is very rarely that I get to see someone who can drive a cab well anymore.
Add to that the per minute charges for the ride (Ola, I presume). It pays them to drive slowly and make a few extra bucks.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 06:04   #23951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

I saw two poor guys pushing a cart (without any reflectors ofcourse) and were walking along the direction of moving traffic in our lane(their backs facing the traffic).

I got down from my safari and neared them, luckily i saw them both moving in pain(i was afraid that they were run over by the tyres), and called 108(TN emergency ambulance service). One guy was lucky toget up and sit, the other guy was hurt badly in his legs and was not fully conscious. The ambulance reached within 10 minutes and they were taken to the hospital.
If at all the lorry driver had been conscious/alert/awake, if at all the poor guys pushing the cart had chosen to walk on the opposite lane, if at all they had some reflectors on the cart, if at all the road had been well lit, if at all they anticipated the worst on hearing the lorry nearing them and jumped out of its path, this mishap could have been avoided altogether. But what is the point ? Our highways are literally death traps at night for pedestrians, cyclists, push carts, Bullock carts and so. When in a country where people put their life on the line to make a living, it is extremely sad to see them, our own fellow men, getting injured or dead, in accidents.

It is indeed a noble gesture on your part to have stopped and helped them by calling the ambulance and I sincerely appreciate it.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 08:31   #23952
Distinguished - BHPian

This had happened close to my office yesterday. An Etios cab rear ended another Etios cab. Not sure how the driver of the car ended up hitting the other Etios so badly. Both cars were damaged considerably which makes me think either the tailing car was too fast or he didn't brake at all. This is a spot where there will be stationary vehicles on the right lane waiting for a U turn while the left lane will be free. Seems like the head car had either stopped in the left lane to cut into the U turn queue or he took an abrupt U turn from the opposite side directly in front of the tailing car.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498877620.381600.jpg

The airbags of the tailing car had not deployed or else it would have been an expensive fix for the driver for his act.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st July 2017 at 08:33.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 08:47   #23953
Distinguished - BHPian

Cab and airbags? Mostly they buy the cheapest model and that's not likely to have airbag. Not yet in India.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 09:10   #23954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Cab and airbags? Mostly they buy the cheapest model and that's not likely to have airbag. Not yet in India.
From what I know, Etios offers ABS and Airbags standard on all variants. Its the Dzire and Tata Indica that habe skimped on them for the cab variants. Hence the cabbies buying Etios dont seem to have an option for them which is very good IMO
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 10:01   #23955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Its changing. Many cab drivers themselves feel the need of air bag ( but still not much of seat belt ) for their own protection and are choosing variants with Airbag.

Another reason is Corporates are forcing fleet operators to buy cabs with safety features. My employer's transport department operates a fleet of ~80 cabs and all of them come with ABS/airbag. Even for cab hires during outstation official travels, they make sure that the car coming to pick up/drop employees are with safety features.
arjithin is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks