Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 16:23   #31336
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

All vehicles are definitely at fault here for not respecting right of way and for not doing their part to minimize clogging of the road. The lady is another classic case of ignorant behavior as well; as someone pointed out, there was a sidewalk which she chose not to use. Another thing that one must observe when walking on the road, is to walk in the opposite direction of flow of traffic since atleast this way you don't have your back turned to imminent dangers behind you.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:21   #31337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
However, I don't think it makes her responsible for the accident in any way, especially as she was in clear view of the Corolla driver.
While I do not hold her completely responsible for the accident, but she is equally responsible as the corolla guy to what happened to her.

See my take in this is, as a pedestrian you are responsible for your safety and there are multiple things you can do to minimize the risk of any accident/incidents(there is always an inherent risk where someone can come and hit you even when you are doing everything right be it a pedestrian/driver/rider).

2 grave mistakes from her side are

1) Walking on the road and not using a perfectly good sidewalk which is right there.

2) Walking in the direction of traffic oblivious to what's happening behind her.

Both points which I have raised in my original post.

There are many examples outside India wherein people who are jaywalking get hit and take it to court for the compensation they are denied because they are jaywalking and in doing so they have placed themselves in harm's way on their own accord. I believe there was a case in India too where the court ruled against the jaywalker stating the same reason.

In India atleast the drivers/ riders are alert as we are all trained enough that while sharing a road we avoid these kinds of pedestrians and move along without any fuss. But taking that for granted is flirting with danger and nothing else. Nothing less than playing Russian roulette.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:22   #31338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
All vehicles are definitely at fault here ...
They may be all at fault, but that does not make them responsible for the running over of the pedestrian. Only one driver did that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:55   #31339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They may be all at fault, but that does not make them responsible for the running over of the pedestrian. Only one driver did that.
Very true. It is easy to blame comparing driving rules and etiquettes followed in the West, but our roads have their own rules. And as the saying goes - "When in Rome, be like Romans."

The corolla guy was clearly over speeding on a road which appears quite narrow with parking on sides. He showed no intent to slow (?possibly under influence/on phone/or simply inexperienced). The lady should thank her stars that she came out of this with only minor injuries.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 20:51   #31340
Team-BHP Support

Plenty of blame to go round for what caused the incident, but the Corolla driver exhibits absolutely despicable behavior in not even making an effort to stop, even after he/she knew they'd hit a pedestrian! That was by choice.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 21:03   #31341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Very true. It is easy to blame comparing driving rules and etiquettes followed in the West, but our roads have their own rules. And as the saying goes - "When in Rome, be like Romans."
Absolutely!. What each one should have done are rules on paper. We can't stop and show them the rule book to change their behavior. Needing to carry on without incidents is the priority.

But yes, God forbid, an unfortunate incident happens and the judgement on who the guilty party takes the legal route, all these rules on paper are followed and those ' Indian' rules count for nothing.

Now if the Corolla driver is dragged to court, he/she can point to the rule book and maybe get away relatively easily. But good luck fighting it out there.

Following Indian road rules is easier .
Old 20th August 2020, 22:44   #31342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The corolla guy was clearly over speeding on a road which appears quite narrow with parking on sides. He showed no intent to slow (?possibly under influence/on phone/or simply inexperienced). The lady should thank her stars that she came out of this with only minor injuries.
You are spot on! My first thought was that it should have been some relative committing murder of this lady. I am not sure why people are having issues with her walking on the street. She is walking on the side, and that is the norm in Bengaluru. People look at me weird when I keep jutting in and out of the footpath looking for good patches. Lots of footpaths have smooth concrete, uneven pavers, missing pavers, parked cars and then the cut outs for entrances/gates to homes. Many older people with arthritis dread having to get up and down these cut outs. Some of them are crazy foot high.

What pedestrian goes in and out of foot paths looking for good patches? Who does this? People walking on the street is the norm. She even had an umbrella for the rain, even that is the norm. In the west, jaywalk is not the norm, and most instances are of people crossing the road. Jaywalking as in people crossing the street, would be hard to anticipate for a driver, also as its against the norm, the law supports the drivers.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 07:49   #31343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Plenty of blame to go round for what caused the incident, but the Corolla driver exhibits absolutely despicable behavior in not even making an effort to stop, even after he/she knew they'd hit a pedestrian! That was by choice.
If I am right, it is the law to stop after an accident. Only if your life is in danger from a mob, is it deemed okay to flee
Old 21st August 2020, 07:50   #31344

The main culprit is the Toyota Driver , yes the other parties are also at fault but the main thing is no matter what he/she should have stopped after the accident .

The Situation will only change if the statesman amends the law and the bureaucrats starts booking parties who all are at fault here , the tempo , the Honda city the biker its like a chain reaction and only one person paid price for their mistake.Biker should thank his heavens for that lucky escape one or 2 secs he would have been airborne as well .

There are two type of jaywalkers in our country one thinks he/she is invincible and the second party opt due to the lack of facilities.There are only few places in our country where we could safely walk through a footpath without ending up in the drain ! So the city authorities are also a party here !
Old 21st August 2020, 08:10   #31345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Toyota Corolla hit and run:
The camera name suggests that it's mounted on the west side exit gate of a society. So apparently this car would be coming out of the society. Looking at the speed, it's really stupid on part of the driver to drive so fast while exiting a residential society. Maybe he went over the exit strips fast and in the process the nut lost control and hit her. Or was it a vehicle theft which made him drive so fast or maybe a teenager going for a joyride without knowledge of parents? From other footage inside society, the owner can easily be identified.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st August 2020 at 11:07. Reason: Typo
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 18:29   #31346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupe View Post
The Situation will only change if the statesman amends the law and the bureaucrats starts booking parties who all are at fault here , the tempo , the Honda city the biker its like a chain reaction and only one person paid price for their mistake.Biker should thank his heavens for that lucky escape one or 2 secs he would have been airborne as well .
I was looking for a space in a London multi-storey car park. Somehow, I went all the way around and found myself at the exit. I had to reverse and make the u-turn before the gates. The driver behind me reversed to give me space, and hit a rear light against something breaking it.

She came to complain to me. I told her that I was sorry, that certainly I was being a nuisance, but I was absolutely not responsible for her breaking her own rear light.

Everything has history. One has to be very careful before converting those lines of history into lines of responsibility.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:59   #31347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Toyota Corolla hit and run:
Only wish the lady had taken usual precautions as a pedestrian. The footpath to the left is clear and unencroached. And leaving aside the footpath, the lady walks through the centre of a busy motorway. Even while not using the footpath the lady could have used the extreme left side of the main road. These are causative factors which amply illustrate that we ourselves invite trouble. Moreover, the rainy weather reduces visibility for motorists and hence we all need to exercise abundant caution to remain on the defensive.

The accident could have been deadly for the lady. The culprit and criminal, hit and run Corolla driver when traced will be booked for hit and run, rash and negligent driving and for culpable homicide causing injuries and not causing death of the victim.

But my point is why invite trouble at our doorsteps, when it is avoidable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2020 at 18:05. Reason: Removing youtube URL, repetition.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:58   #31348
BHPian

Just now saw that Corolla and lady accident video. Have not read all the posts for this video, but some are saying lady is not at fault. I do not agree with them.

The lady HAS to walk on the footpath. Please do not say there would be a hole, open gutter on footpath, and things like that. Its FAR safer to walk on footpath than on the place which is designed for a lot heavier and powerful objects (carrying huge momentum).

Yes, being in a developing country like India, you WILL face those hurdles on a footpath, but then dodge those and be safer than being in front of a Corolla or a bus/truck. You can walk on a footpath by looking down for that open gutter but you cannot walk on the road seeing backwards. Its definitely a tedious job to being so careful for your every step on the footpath, but then that is the only safer option.

Having said that, we must try to unerrstand what leads one to walk on the road. I think its due to all those hurdles or possibility of an open gutter on the footpath. Now comes the question - Who is responsible for bad shape of a footpath? Its the local government/ municipality. At the same time, the central/ state government should also be held responsible. Why do not they make it mandatory for all news channels or other suitable platforms to broadcast a 30 minute programme everyday regarding road safety and awareness. Making people aware is the need of the hour. LOTS of lives can be saved EVERYDAY if debate on Ram mandir and such can be curtailed by just 30 minutes.

We at Tbhp refer to this Accidents thread and are AWARE of the causes of such accidents. But more than 90% people are not. For them, while walking on the road, it does not even cross their mind that they can be hit by a vehicle. Walking on road has become kind of second nature.

Corolla guy is also certainly at fault there. First up, he should have slowed down at that intersection, especially when he sees a bike and Honda city. His speed seemed high for that place. And then he carries on dragging the woman .

So I think its the mistake of that woman (though must say that most probably she was walking on the road due to lack of awareness), Corolla driver and ofcourse that concerned municipality/ government.

I hope Central government does something to raise awareness among their Janta and local government make the footpath walkable.
Old 22nd August 2020, 17:35   #31349
BHPian

2 dead on-spot in Chennai ECR road. The high speed crash was caused by a 17 year juvenile driving his KTM in a reckless manner hitting a crossing scooter driven by a 70 year old man.

Last edited by jeganatu : 22nd August 2020 at 17:37.
jeganatu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:29   #31350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
2 dead on-spot in Chennai ECR road. The high speed crash was caused by a 17 year juvenile driving his KTM in a reckless manner hitting a crossing scooter driven by a 70 year old man.
This is quite unfortunate but could have been easily avoided by placing speed breakers before the intersection. At first glance, it appears that there was no traffic signal as well.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2020 at 01:07. Reason: removed embedded video in quoted post
Akash.D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks