Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 10:41   #31561
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Scary accident in Nagpur. Two wheeler rider rushes into the turn and a speeding car probably did not spot him or it was too late already. Unfortunately the biker did not survive.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2020 at 18:08. Reason: rider > driver.
theflyingguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:51   #31562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
Scary accident in Nagpur. Two wheeler driver rushes into the turn and a speeding car probably did not spot him or it was too late already. Unfortunately the biker did not survive.
Whenever I see such a video, I have this one question in my mind, "Why the hell was the biker thinking taking a u-turn on a main road at night without looking on both sides? What was his thought process? Did he think that he was invincible?"

It is really sad to lose a family member and I have been there and seen up close a few of my family members and friends who lost their loved ones at ages between 20-40. All they have now is sorrow and a bleak future only because the guy decided to do something stupid! The whole family is left in the street because the moron decided it was good to take a u-turn just like that!

I have lost all hope for this country and its people and even last Thursday, when I was going to my native after a long gap, I could see the driving style of people has gone from bad to worse. I felt pre-lock-down drivers are half-decent. But now, everyone is in rush!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th September 2020 at 05:58. Reason: Removed embedded video, loose > lose; grammatical errors
xcentrk is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:01   #31563
BHPian

Quote:
Scary accident in Nagpur. Two wheeler driver rushes into the turn and a speeding car probably did not spot him or it was too late already
Accidents of this sort will keep on happening unless a proper road etiquette and sense of safe driving is imbibed into the minds.

That two wheeler rider made a grave mistake there but partly the fault lies with car driver too for speeding.

My 2 cents: Always anticipate an idiot at every intersection and be cautious. May the dead rest in peace!
Pferdestarke is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:54   #31564
Senior - BHPian

There is an important road rule called "Right of Way" which drivers around the world are aware but road users in our country are totally ignorant about.

Right of way gives complete clarity on who has to stop and who can keep on going without stopping whenever two driver's paths are criss-crossing.

In most countries, drivers on the main road have the right of way, others joining into the main road have to wait until the main road is clear. This is the rule and has to be followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post

IMO, bikers is solely responsible as he was driving dangerously high speed, was unattentive to other road users and failed to take steps (breaks) to avoid the crash.
Here, the biker is at fault for overspeeding and reckless driving no doubt, but he had the right of way.
The Auto driver had the responsibility wait till the road is clear and them make a turn. He did not have right of way and barged into the main road. The auto driver is totally at fault for violating the biker's right of way and causing the crash.

Quote:
Two wheeler driver rushes into the turn
Again here, the car had the right of way here, the two wheeler did not have the right to barge into the car's path. Absolutely the fault of the two wheeler driver
for_cars1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:15   #31565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is an important road rule called "Right of Way" which drivers around the world are aware but road users in our country are totally ignorant about.
The most apt and important rule which is often the most ignored one specially in a chaotic driving condition like ours.

Although breakage of other rules like lane discipline, speed limit, DUI are responsible too, but "Right of way" is the most important consideration one has to make in order to keep safe and avoid accidents.

Traffic lights help in maintaining this rule to an extent, apart from keeping order and traffic management.

High time basics are strictly taught at the beginning of driving classes and people are made to toil for a driving license so that they have to "earn" it rather than having the right to avail one just because they have a vehicle and an Aaadhar card.
amods is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:43   #31566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
High time basics are strictly taught at the beginning of driving classes and people are made to toil for a driving license so that they have to "earn" it rather than having the right to avail one just because they have a vehicle and an Aaadhar card.
In fact, school going kids must be taught about traffic rules, I see kids riding cycles in extremely dangerous manner, right habits should be developed at tender age.
100Rabh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:59   #31567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Rabh View Post
In fact, school going kids must be taught about traffic rules, I see kids riding cycles in extremely dangerous manner, right habits should be developed at tender age.
But the problem in our country is that many would not follow traffic rules voluntarily and kids learn what they see as well as action of their parents. If kids regularly see adults are violating traffic rules, chances are high that they would start assuming nothing wrong in violating traffic rules
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 15:03   #31568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
+1

the current licensing regime is one of the major reasons for such fatal accidents; it simply doesn't prevent people from killing themselves(and others).

"Right of way" is completely alien in India. In my driving experience of more than a decade and half, I still wait for traffic to cross in case I am coming into their way, while commuters behind me would incessantly honk for waiting and giving way.

This habit made me completely comfortable in countries where traffic laws are followed even when there is no cop around, both RHD and LHD.

I am thinking of trying to obtain state wise data of licences cancelled by RTOs (maybe start from Delhi), just so to understand whether the RTOs are even taking action against people involved in accidents.

Last edited by setuniket : 14th September 2020 at 15:08.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 16:16   #31569
BHPian

Quote:
Scary accident in Nagpur. Two wheeler driver rushes into the turn and a speeding car probably did not spot him or it was too late already. Unfortunately the biker did not survive
Incredible he just drove into the opposite lane of the highway like it was his garage!!! Hate to be brutal but even animals do better than this whilst crossing roads. Sadly the biker also took out the unsuspecting Car(looks like a crossover/compact SUV) that just toppled due to the impact and possibly high speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
+1

"Right of way" is completely alien in India. In my driving experience of more than a dec
This habit made me completely comfortable in countries where traffic laws are followed even when there is no cop around, both RHD and LHD.

I am thinking of trying to obtain state wise data of licences cancelled by RTOs (maybe start from Delhi), just so to understand whether the RTOs are even taking action against people involved in accidents.
Abroad apart from the prohibitively high cost of litigation, the Insurance companies also make sure that the Customer remembers his infraction by paying 2-3x higher premium on being flagged for violations. Hence the rules become ingrained into the people. In India also similar laws should be there where people are forced to pay 3-5x higher premiums after getting tickets due to traffic violatons. This has to be on their records for 5years. That will set a proper deterrence.

Last edited by venbas : 14th September 2020 at 16:25. Reason: Multi Quote
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 16:38   #31570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scary accident in Nagpur.
The aftermath looks very scary for the car occupants. Could not understand how the left side took off and the car flipped?
Old 14th September 2020, 17:12   #31571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The fault lies entirely with the autorickshaw driver. He cannot conveniently decide to make that turn just because he has the indicator flashing and because he had waited for 5 seconds. The motorcycle rider had the right of way. It is the duty of the autorickshaw driver to ensure that there is no oncoming traffic in both directions before attempting that turn. Flashing the indicator doesn't give him the right to barge onto the road. I'm happy the Innova was not hit.
My friend met with a similar accident and fractured his hand. I always watch for the front wheel when I am approaching a stationary auto from behind on my two wheeler, if it is turned then I slow down considerably, this has saved me from many a potential accident.

As controversial as it may sound let me make this point. Auto Drivers are stressed out, they have financial worries and do not have much of a future in the business. They are tied to their Autos and do not love their job. In other words, they are forced to drive Autos due to their circumstances. At least the majority. This changes their attitude and they get anti-social, they do not care about what result their actions make have on fellow road users. This is a macro issue and needs some fixing from the top i.e Government policies etc. I've seen Auto Drivers chuckle and put other road users into misery due to the manoeuvrability or extreme manoeuvrability that their vehicles are blessed with
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 17:39   #31572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'll go against the tide here and say that it was the fault of the biker. If you see the auto is parked properly and even when he starts he lets another auto and a biker pass him peacefully before committing to take the u-turn. If he wanted to then he could have barged in between them as well but he didn't.

The biker was simply too fast for that kind of road and paid the price. The auto driver might have seen behind that there is enough space and the must have been focusing on the opposite lane when the biker appeared out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The aftermath looks very scary for the car occupants. Could not understand how the left side took off and the car flipped?
Looks like a Gen 2 Swift to me. The car looked to be doing good speed as well. Once the car hit the scooter, the scooter might have toppled over and could have acted as a ramp which the left side of the car climbed and flipped.

In another news, I heard that a Maruti car collided with a truck in Petervar near Bokaro Steel City in Jharkhand and couple of people sadly lost their lives/were very serious. Any Bihar/Jharkhand BHPian knows anything?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2020 at 18:04. Reason: Mod note attached.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:02   #31573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even in my 50s/60s British school days, I used to wonder why they did not teach us the Highway Code at school! But, whatever our age, if we ventured on the street we had to know and obey the rules. Lights for a pedal bike too: unheard of in India today, but suicidal to ride in the dark without. And my wife tells me that, in her childhood, lights were required here and the police enforced it
Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Incredible he just drove into the opposite lane of the highway like it was his garage!!! Hate to be brutal but even animals do better than this whilst crossing roads.
Be brutal. Cows can be stupid, but dogs have a remarkable amount of road sense. Who would want to have less skill on the road than a stray dog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
I'll go against the tide here and say that it was the fault of the biker.
You can say that the biker may have been committing a different offence, and it is certainly true that he is not driving defensively: quite the opposite. I have already made a scathing comment about that and don't have much sympathy. But the auto driver turned across his path, and that is an absolute fact. As per the right-of-way comments. The biker might have been using it badly, but it was his road (as some people describe right of way)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My friend met with a similar accident and fractured his hand. I always watch for the front wheel when I am approaching a stationary auto from behind on my two wheeler, if it is turned then I slow down considerably, this has saved me from many a potential accident.
You read the road ahead, You look for all those small signs and act upon them. Respect!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th September 2020 at 18:04.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:32   #31574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I've seen Auto Drivers chuckle and put other road users into misery due to the manoeuvrability or extreme manoeuvrability that their vehicles are blessed with
I don't know if they enjoy putting others to misery, but I totally agree most auto drivers misuse the extreme manoeuvrability of their vehicles to the point they forget their instability.
As a newbie driver, one of the practical lessons my father taught me was to be extremely careful while moving around autos. His exact words were they are the most unpredictable things on the road after two and four legged animals
Old 14th September 2020, 19:09   #31575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everybody uses the road but none of them are taught on the road usage etiquette. Traffic rules & best practices must be part of the curriculum from Grade 1 itself.

Grade 1: Basic road usage & users

Grade 5: Road manners & etiquette - focussed on pedestrians

Grade 9: Traffic rules, right of way, best practices - focussed on motor vehicles

Grade 11: Emergency procedures (which include handling road accident victims, police procedure & legal formalities).
msdivy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks