Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 10:55   #39481
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Very sad! Wonder if driver was alert how it missed all the hazard lights etc put up by truck drivers. Can be a combination of fatigue at that hour and some highway hypnosis where one could not make if truck was stationary or moving with blinkers on. In our country we have all kinds of lights and dazzlers on trucks and buses which dilute the purpose of each such element.
I can't say about this incident but I saw someone nearly killing themselves similarly recently.

I was on the left lane on a highway behind a state corpn. town bus overtaking a slow container lorry on the right lane.

There was this Swift right on my back flashing lights at me to make me and the bus disappear magically. The bus was doing a slow overtake and there was no option other than to trail it. But not for the Swift driver, who suddenly changed into the shoulder lane zooming past me on the left.

As he was crossing my front door, the bus in the front started getting into the shoulder to stop in an upcoming bus stop. Manic honking and panic braking (in that order) ensues by the Swift and I thought for sure he is gonna either crash into the bus or hit my front trying to get into my lane. I hard brake too and he somehow squeezed into my lane in the front and got off the situation.

Overtaking in the shoulder because of slower vehicles without even knowing what's there ahead is rampant in our highways. This could be one such incident.

PS: Also can't but not notice the 'Live to Drive' sticker on the Fiesta.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 22nd December 2023 at 10:58.
Yieldway17 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:32   #39482
BHPian

Rider survived with narrowest of margins. Demonstrates the importance of paying attention on the road and maintaining sufficient distance when riding in a group. Sounds like the guys are from somewhere in the North East region.

siddhant is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:50   #39483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Rider survived with narrowest of margins. Demonstrates the importance of paying attention on the road and maintaining sufficient distance when riding in a group. Sounds like the guys are from somewhere in the North East region.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WeqTQM-qPa8
Clearly the fault of the bikers here.

If you watch the video from 20 seconds onward, you'd see the group talking amongst themselves. They were clearly distracted (into the run up of the black rider rear-ending into the tri-cycle biker, 24 second onwards).

I hope the poor truck driver isn't bothered in this case. And the try-cycle jugaad, well, they're an obvious sighting on our highways passing through rural areas.

And the bikers, well, no point ranting about them, enough has been said !
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:35   #39484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Clearly the fault of the bikers here.

And the try-cycle jugaad, well, they're an obvious sighting on our highways passing through rural areas.
It is mixture of both. Biker was not able to judge how far the sheets have been extended from the tricycle. It easy to miss since the they seem to be very thin.

Also, they were riding in a group in a single lane, between a truck and parked vehicles. While I would blame the biker, tricycle also should share some blame since it is very easy to misjudge such extensions from vehicle's body.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 02:29   #39485

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
It is mixture of both. Biker was not able to judge how far the sheets have been extended from the tricycle. It easy to miss since the they seem to be very thin.
True. Not only is over loading a problem on Indian roads but also over sized cargo. How often have we seen steel rebars jutting out of trucks with red cloth tied on its end.

Enforcement of rules means hiring a longer vehicle with higher cost. While the need to reduce cost is understandable, one fails to realize that they can be in the receiving end some day.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2023 at 05:38. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Fawlty is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:50   #39486
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this incident two days ago - Initially I didnt realise what was happening since I was supposed to take an exit and was searching for the same to the left side of the road. Then in the distance I see this i20 hitting the divider and reversing its course towards the left. I thought the Innova Crystal had banged it but that wasn't the case. After I checked the dash cam footage I realised that the i20 just veered towards the median, and then due to the tyres hitting the median they turned left and the car was heading back to the centre. However the car was too slow to have further consequences and there were no vehicles around.

There was a lone driver in the car and he appeared totally clueless of what was happening and continued driving at a slow pace. Either he was too drowsy or drunk.
audioholic is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 17:41   #39487
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish no bhpian find their cars featured here. Unfortunately, mine does. Relieved that it was a minor accident and without any injuries to anyone.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5685178 (Safari love story Part 2 | Prassy's 2018 Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 Varicor 400 | 73000 km completed)

My Safari Storme got rear-ended by a bus.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd December 2023 at 17:46.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 19:09   #39488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty View Post
True. Not only is over loading a problem on Indian roads but also over sized cargo. How often have we seen steel rebars jutting out of trucks with red cloth tied on its end.

Enforcement of rules means hiring a longer vehicle with higher cost. While the need to reduce cost is understandable, one fails to realize that they can be in the receiving end some day.
Tying a red cloth is not an excuse to carry cargo jutting out the back but at least it helps to spot it and the judge the distance.
The tricycle idiot in this case didn't tie even the red cloth.
Even if he had tied it, I don't think the bikers would have spotted it as they were too distracted. Still, a part of the blame must go to the tricycle as well
Candy$Cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 17:05   #39489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
I see your point and the sheet jutting out certainly contributed but I would still hold the bikers primarily responsible.

There's no reason to get that close to the rear of another vehicle at those speeds, no reason to squeeze through these tiny gaps, have no consideration for lanes, ride side by side, etc.

They rode like total morons and paid the price for it. I have zero sympathy when our Darwin award nominees end up under the wheels of a truck.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 22:46   #39490
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Rider survived with narrowest of margins.
Most important here is the side-underrun protection bars on the truck. Prevented the orange bike and its rider from going underneath and getting run over by the rear tyres of the truck.
venkyhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 23:25   #39491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Very disheartened to see this video, Mahindra is blaming this owner now! Come on Mahindra, fix your car first.

https://Youtu.be/QVmgeBYva9o?si=svagkXQVqo_IwK0W
I just came across this video on YouTube and watched it. It's truly heart breaking to see the plight of the owner. I came to team bhp to search for any reports on this accident.

The issue with the upper wishbone seems to be the cause and the police are trying to throw the blame on the owner!

I'm never trusting any Indian brand ever again!
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:03   #39492
Distinguished - BHPian

Dense fog and low visibility resulted in a series of cars and heavy vehicles piling up near the Jharna nala flyover, on N.H.19 (Agra to Delhi sector). One dozen vehicles were involved in the pile up, killing one and injuring six persons. This is the sad saga of yesterday's vehicle pile-up.

Lighter moments came alive when a "Get That Rooster Home" opetation by onlookers ensued as a pickup carrying chicken was also involved and grounded. Some of the chicken were presumably destined for "Happy New Year 2024" parties. But fate willed otherwise. Many onlookers rather than grieving the dead one or aiding the injured persons and also leaving aside their onerous, new age responsibility of shooting videos, started looting the chickens, resulting in a free for all, "Fowl Play" game as ToI calls it.

The video link:-

The ToI newslink:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106316040.cms

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th December 2023 at 12:12.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 22:01   #39493
BHPian

A couple of days back I witnessed this : https://www.deccanherald.com/amp/sto...u-road-2825893

Not sure why there’s no noise around this incident!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:23   #39494
BHPian

***Beware of heavy vehicles' blind spot***

Was on my way back to Chennai from my place in Kerala today.
Can't recall the exact location, but a diversion was placed due to flyover construction. I was in the left lane hoping to enter wherever the barricade would be open.
An Indica taxi tried to barge into the barricade opening within the blindspot of the truck. Arguments ensued shortly.

I didn't wait to enter through the same spot anticipating traffic jam and continued further not knowing if there would be an opening in the barricade or not. Luckily there was one 100m down the line.

rajivr1612 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 21:05   #39495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
***Beware of heavy vehicles' blind spot***

https://Youtu.be/st3uJxUdiOc?feature=shared
The car entered in the visible zone of the truck driver, he just didn't look.

It is the duty of the heavy vehicle to take care at such junctions. In this case, there was movement into this space visible to the truck driver. He should have been more careful.

Regarding the Indica, he should have honked and cleared the way. It appears that he was fooling around in the high risk zone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks