Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 16:51   #39916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
100kmph is merely 62mph in US speedo. Those speeds are only recreational in the US. I have not commented on passenger not wearing seat belt. I have passed through that stretch many times and it’s likely that the driver was in rightmost lane and as he slept the car veered to the left until it was perpendicular to the highway when the crash happened.
Tesla you won’t feel a thing at 62mph crash into siderail.
The point it the car has not taken enough impact to safeguard the driver. The front of the car leaves nothing to be said. Rest each and everyone can decide.
The speeds on the stretch are 120 k mph for two right most lanes, 100kmph for two left lanes.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on a few points. At 100kmph, surviving car crashes are a coin toss, can go either way.

Small video of crash test of a tesla being done at 50kmph. And it hurts just looking at it. I wonder why you claim you won't feel a thing?

Also, the driver survived. It was the passenger who passed away.

Peace.
deathwalkr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 17:40   #39917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100kmph is merely 62mph in US speedo. Those speeds are only recreational in the US.
Tesla you won’t feel a thing at 62mph crash into siderail.
The point it the car has not taken enough impact to safeguard the driver. .
Perhaps we are doing too much assessment by looking at the images after impact?

What happens to an occupant sitting inside a car crashing at 100kph is a big question mark, there are too many variables at play. Tesla or Maruti, we all should agree that saying 100kmph as 62 mph does not actually mean the car is going slower, 62mph is not 'mere', it is 8mph short of maximum permissible speeds in many countries.

What we can assess is whether the roads are really fit to be driven at constant speeds of 120 kmph in India.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 19:16   #39918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
What we can assess is whether the roads are really fit to be driven at constant speeds of 120 kmph in India.
The roads are but the cars (some) and drivers flouting the rules aren’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Also, the driver survived. It was the passenger who passed away.

Peace.
Exactly what I wanted to say. Mind that in this chain of arguments I have never commented on the passenger, only wanted to highlight the safety of driver.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th February 2024 at 10:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 21:49   #39919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
Maruti Suzuki have clearly said their cars are not made to drive at 100+ speeds. They are catering to the pick and drop consumers who do not travel more faster.
I’m also eager to know if this statements are really put out in public by Maruti Suzuki. Could you please share some reference or source?
Starwar19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 22:36   #39920
BHPian

Pure speculation, but the timing of this public education video from Cyberabad traffic police in their channel (same day when the MLA passed away in crash) is suspicius.

abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 03:20   #39921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
..driving a VW Virtus 1.5 DSG at the time of crash.

This crash shows the reality that, without a proper rear underride bar fitted to trucks as per standards, star ratings doesn't really matter.
Agree that safety ratings don't matter when the point of impact is directly on the pillars as a result of crashing under a truck without under-run protection bars.

However another point to note based on the way the car has crumpled is that the body strength of these new-age India specific grade-2 monocoque chassis based VWs and Skodas are a far cry from say for example the original Vento or Rapid rigid/solid build especially the first ones when they were launched in 2010s, those body shells were really of a very high standard.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th February 2024 at 03:22.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 06:13   #39922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderS View Post
As per the news, it’s a suspected driver-fell asleep case, adding to the possibility of the passenger not bucking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 View Post
Finally, this incident once again proves the importance of passenger seat belts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
She was not wearing seatbelts and whatever followed in the media after the crash is mostly a coverup. The initial photos and videos don't lie and as usual people had forgotten about that incident and there's no reference of that in any media.

Note from Mod - Deleted photo of body for sensitivity reasons but your point is clear

Last edited by ajmat : 27th February 2024 at 07:18.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 07:43   #39923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
In an underride without a proper underride bar, the crumple zone is bypassed as the car goes under the truck and chances of survival are near zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
We should start impounding trucks without proper underrides and if any accidents happen, such trucks should be sent directly to junk yard, and entire fleet from that transport company should be re-doing their fitness certificates.

Without strict measures all we will ever see is 1/4 inch thick metal piece stuck to truck's behind.
And we see even worse one plying on the road. See how long this truck's carriage is and absolutely no under ride protection. They should totally stop this jugaad trucks and only allow trucks from the factory. If cars can't be modified, why allow trucks/buses?

naveen.raju is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 07:56   #39924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
Maruti Suzuki have clearly said their cars are not made to drive at 100+ speeds. They are catering to the pick and drop consumers who do not travel more faster than 60. After hearing that statement, I wonder how people have the guts to take their cars on express ways.
In this case the person who died was seated in the second row and that row is clearly intact. Could be a lack of wearing seatbelts.
Old 27th February 2024, 10:09   #39925
BHPian

India’s truck designs need a massive overhaul, while our cars have entered the new century, it seems like the truck designs are still stuck in the 1900s.

Needless to say, these designs have resulted in massive loss of life over the years. Really hope that some new laws come into place wrt designs of our trucks.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:55   #39926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Please help me with a reference.

If they indeed said it, they did not consult their marketing team before making such a foolish statement.
I don't really know if I read that statement online or in a magazine or some forum like Redditt or Team-BHP itself. I tried finding it, but to no avail. I think he was talking about 0 stars for Maruti cars and he basically said these cars aren't meant to be driven at 100 kmph or something to that effect.
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:20   #39927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 View Post
And I have seen the comments posting media snippets showing that said politician is in the front row. That is wrong and I think the media is trying to portray that there is no mistake on her part. I have seen the video of the incident and Police are trying to take her body out from the second row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
In this case the person who died was seated in the second row and that row is clearly intact. Could be a lack of wearing seatbelts.
There is a picture from police panchnama available on twitter, which shows how gruesome the death was. She was sitting in the first passenger seat and she was not wearing the seatbelt. They must have extracted her from the second row (a video shows the body being extracted from RR side) as the front passenger door (FL door) seems to be heavily damaged.

Unfortunate that we are failing to learn, even after so many deaths on our roads!
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:41   #39928
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

The accident was caused by lack of attention, driving too fast and driving too close, simple !!!
The truck was fitted with some under run protection. However, due to the speed of the impact both frames were sheared off. They can be seen hanging from the trucks cargo straps. That alone added to the severity of the impact.
You cannot rely on under run protection and air bags to save your life when you choose to drive in a dangerous manner.
Darwin at work here.
People only have to follow the "2 second rule" and this type of incident will virtually disappear. But that is not the nature of the typical Indian driver, who must get ahead at any cost.
Really demonstrates the lack of driver education and failure to observe driving rules. India, in my opinion, is not ready for 110/120 kmh speeds yet. There should be a country wide maximum speed limit of 80 kmh. At least that way a much higher percentage of accident victims will survive.
Please slow down and keep a safe distance, it's that simple.
In the UK our 7.5 tonne trucks have a speed limit of 112 kph and 44 tonne trucks have a limit of 96 kph on our "Expressways". You can only drive at those speeds when everyone obeys the rules and the vehicles are safe. Hence our cars have a comprehensive Fitness Test (MOT Test) every year.
Redex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 12:00   #39929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
On this topic, there are 100s of videos and pics available in the public domain where the politicos and certain celebrities riding their car (some of them in Lexus, Mercedes, Range Rover, Fortuner and what not) without seat belts. What's the use of warnings etc. when you can bypass them with simple hacks (like clipping the belt from behind etc.)

In some cases front passengers do wear seat belts but the rear passengers don't. Seatbelt is a cheap safety device compared to the expensive safety "device" - safe driving habits.
How much do you care about the 'powerful' people not wearing seatbelts ?

Yesterday on my way to Mysuru, was standing in line in the toll booth. The 2nd important person in state and his convoy was given free way. I was thinking if speed limits or rules apply to them in addition to not having to wait like us commoners in lines for various things.
Old 27th February 2024, 12:25   #39930
BHPian

Quote:
100kmph is merely 62mph in US speedo. Those speeds are only recreational in the US.
This isn't the case and I would like to think of it as a potent speed that needs to be managed well. 62mph is a fairly high speed anywhere in the world. The max speed limit that I am aware of in the US is 70mph which is not too far off from 62. Do the cops give drivers an unofficial allowance to go above that is another matter. Even in the UK the motorways are limited to 70mph and as there are no cops to pull you over there are speed cameras that fire only a bit above 75.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks