Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2024, 11:32   #39856
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Regards the 2 wheeler and bus incident. Yet another tragic waste of lives. No one and everyone is to blame. The total disregard of rules and common sense, sadly comes with a high price. Someone dies on Indian roads every 3 minutes, of every hour, everyday of the year. 160,000 poor souls lost. It seems that 12% of all road users do not have a licence.

How to fix the problem?
- Strict enforcement of road rules.
- Much higher penalties i.e. 10 × current rate.
- Imprisonment for no licence, insurance, drinking, exceeding speed limit by 10% or more.
- Strict annual vehicle fitness testing, not 15 years !!!!!
- Nationwide awareness, use TV compulsory broadcast on every channel for 5 minutes every hour, all year.
- Provide 1,000s of driver training centres. Train to a much higher level than the current requirement.
- Impound and/or crush defective vehicles.
- Impound and/or crush the vehicles of repeat offenders.
- Have a penalty point system for each offence.

In the U.K. the average penalty is 3 points, when you reach 12 you loose your licence for 1 year.

Example: if you have a bald or damaged tyres the penalty is 3 points. If your car has 4 bald tyres that's 4 × 3 points !!! You loose the licence for 1 year.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th February 2024 at 09:23. Reason: Para spacing for readability.
Redex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 14:31   #39857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Seems like the driver was distracted here. Hopefully no serious injuries to anyone involved.
The two wheeler riders helmet flew the moment the accident happened. This is what happens when you follow rules for the sake of it and not because you feel it is the right thing to do! Hope he lived and learnt a lesson.
Raghuwire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 15:56   #39858
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like the driver was distracted here. Hopefully no serious injuries to anyone involved.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=LuaMo4YrE9Y
It seems tempo driver and anyone sitting in the front would have got an injury. Two wheeler rider definitely hit his head on divider, His helmet flew off before the impact
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 15:56   #39859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The bus driver is responsible for this accident. It is clear from this particular video.

He gives a short horn at 17 seconds and then sounds a loud horn at 20 seconds which forced the rider to move away. This driver did not apply brakes otherwise everything would have been normal. It was not clear from other videos if the bus driver forced him to move away or bus driver honked after seeing him coming in his path.

The second causative factor is the horn itself. This is an illegal horn, used by many heavy vehicles and goes unchecked by police.

https://Youtu.be/miSwLKmYckE?si=q7OtGkO2sCb1ylND
We can argue about whose fault it is till the cows come home, but the bike rider IMHO is the prime candidate for this year's Darwin award which, unfortunately he dragged his hapless family into accepting as well.

Traffic rules be damned, this man didn't even seem to possess the most basic of instincts- self preservation!!!

What else would explain his riding with his family on the extreme end of the fast lane, and then switching lanes without so much as checking his rear view mirror? This is suicidal even when everyone else on the road is driving safely and with consideration for other road users! That people drive like maniacs on our highways is something he had to have known, and yet he rode himself and his family right into the jaws of death.

Darwin, you were right.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2024 at 18:02. Reason: Toned down
vijaysrk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 16:24   #39860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sriram1989@gm View Post
Clearly there is no fear of law. Over speeding, no helmets, blazing horn, lane changing as per wish. It shows lack of interest by the authorities to do anything to crub such issues.
It is easy to blame authorities. Truth is we do have strict laws and fines when it comes to wearing helmets, using horns, changing lanes, headlight brightness etc but even the most law abiding citizens simply dont care about trafic rules.
We have fan groups for private/public buses and reckless drivers. There are people who were in news for paying lakhs as traffic violation fine. Almost no one dips their headlight at night. Recently in Kerala when AI camera were introduced there was huge public outburst. Government even went on to change the 3 person rule to allow parents to carry their child in scooters.
If we really need some change we should start teaching our kids in school about traffic rules, discipline and value of life.
Joe367 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 17:46   #39861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
If we really need some change we should start teaching our kids in school about traffic rules, discipline and value of life.
Yes I agree, children have to be taught that it might look cool to break rules but actually it is not. Real deal is to teach them to follow rules when no one is looking.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 18:42   #39862
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, it's the daily school drop that gives one chills.

One will be amazed at the way the 'dads' and 'moms' set an example to the next generation by driving like maniacs (Most schools have a tight pathway, and blind sharp turns in narrow alleys) With zero anticipation they take the curves, cut lanes, drive rashly like those inside service centres, gives the stare, park wherever they feel like, et al!

I know I might have repeated this n number of times here, but it's quite disheartening to see those young eyes watching and learning all these nonsense on a daily basis.

Kids should be taught to love driving, not to reach the school by jumping over everyone else before the bell rings!

Last edited by sarathlal : 19th February 2024 at 18:43.
sarathlal is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 20:31   #39863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
On the contrary, it's the daily school drop that gives one chills.
I do not understand the logic of the person who drives in a hurry to drop kids to school/attend a meeting at office etc.
If the reason for the urgency is to attend a meeting/drop kids on time,then they may not be able to attend those at all, if they had crashed on the way.
This contradicts the entire need to drive in a hurry, if there's a 50-50 chance of making it.

Everyone is playing Russian Roulette on roads. The chances of not getting hit is in Russian Roulette is 5/6 but the sequence is not known to us. If we are hit, then there is no need to pay the game further. Everyone wants to play until they're hit.

Best option is not to play the game at all.

My kid's school starts at 8:15 AM and there will be heavy traffic after 8:05AM and we need to park our bike/car far from school and need to walk from there.
If we are before 8:05AM, I can park next to gate and go relaxed.
My kid loves this incentive and gets ready early to ensure, we reach by 8:05AM.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 09:10   #39864
BHPian

Quote:

I know I might have repeated this n number of times here, but it's quite disheartening to see those young eyes watching and learning all these nonsense on a daily basis.

Kids should be taught to love driving, not to reach the school by jumping over everyone else before the bell rings!
+1 to this.
Instead of instilling traffic discipline in children what we see on the roads is the exact opposite. Pick any violation and you have it - rash driving, no helmet, wrong side driving, excessive honking. Children learn the same and follow the same when the start riding (which again happens early as I regularly see 13+ year olds riding)
Meph1st0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 09:37   #39865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One will be amazed at the way the 'dads' and 'moms' set an example to the next generation by driving like maniacs (Most schools have a tight pathway, and blind sharp turns in narrow alleys) With zero anticipation they take the curves, cut lanes, drive rashly like those inside service centres, gives the stare, park wherever they feel like, et al!
True. Adding to that: coming from wrong side, opening doors without any caution.

Quote:

My kid watches my every action closely, be it driving or anything else. So, I am very careful how I am driving or doing anything else. If I expect him to do anything, I have to demonstrate the same. 'Lead by example' starts at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
My kid's school starts at 8:15 AM and there will be heavy traffic after 8:05AM and we need to park our bike/car far from school and need to walk from there.

If we are before 8:05AM, I can park next to gate and go relaxed.
My kid loves this incentive and gets ready early to ensure, we reach by 8:05AM.
Ditto here. The traffic increases exponentially every 30 sec, and it becomes mess within couple of minutes.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 20th February 2024 at 09:42.
AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:24   #39866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am 99% sure the brezza driver was typing something on his phone. I had a friend who used to message while driving. I specifically told him either stop doing this or I won't be coming with you. I see so many guys holding a phone in hand and driving. Most cars today have Bluetooth and they still do this stupidity which is beyond me.

3 vehicles were affected cos of this stupidity. Auto guy took most of the brunt. Bike guy didn't strapped his helmet so a head injury will follow otherwise he would have just minor ones. Altis had parked outside the road instead of on the road like most guys and still got caught up in the mayhem. I hope Brezza guys license is cancelled and gets some jail time got this but knowing how things works in our country I am sure he will give an excuse of dosing off or something like that and go Scott free.

On another note the only positive thing to see was Brezza airbags getting opened which has become a thing since airbags in few cars of different manufactures didn't open.

Last edited by harry10 : 20th February 2024 at 10:27.
harry10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:13   #39867
BHPian

Quote:

If you notice the poor biker, the first thing that flies off! is his unbuckled helmet. A helmet is useful only if its on the head at the point of accident. Hope this is a lesson learnt on Buckling up the helmet always
mally2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 16:16   #39868
BHPian

Did not expect my car to be a part of this thread.

A minor accident took place while my wife was returning home alone. A truck in front rolled back from a speed breaker, took out the left headlight assembly and left a deep scratch on bonnet. The truck driver sped away but I was later able to track him from dashcam footage.

The owner agreed to reimburse expenses post insurance claim as Hyundai says headlight assembly will cost 43k(parts alone)

Insurance claim is registered and post approval, order will be placed as parts for Hyundai Santafe are never in stock.

She normally leaves much gap at higher speeds but was too close at this instance. A costly learning indeed.

As the part will take minimum of 15-20 days to arrive, what precuations I can take to avoid damaging the LED high beam.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240220wa0000.jpeg
Suryendu87 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 16:29   #39869
BHPian

Honestly, I feel the fault lies on both parties in that video, no minimum distance was maintained with the truck, my guess is the distance was less than a few feet.

The truck struggled to cross the hump in half clutch and he is rolled back. Good that they agreed to pay some portion of your damage expense.
SS80 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 16:29   #39870
BHPian

Quote:
Happened to see this video on my YT feeds. Another Bangalore Mysore expressway incident.
If not for the under run bars on the sides of that truck, the wagon R occupants would probably have got squashed in its absence!
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks