Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2024, 03:19   #39736
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

9 people lost lives in this one.

So many things to unpack in this video. Speed of Scorpio was too fast for 2 lane road, biker overtaking from occupying/overtaking too much on the right lane, scoprio suddenly swerving right to overtake the auto not giving any time to see the bike, auto overloaded with 15 passengers!
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 06:22   #39737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Now we have a new villian! what was the role of the small car between these 2 trucks - it is very very difficult to make out, can anyone throw some thoughts here?
For sure, this car seems to have caused the whole catastrophe.
It is a first gen Ford Figo and seems to have managed to keep cabin intact.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2fRZ...85YWFzcWlreA==
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 11:29   #39738
BHPian

A careless mini-tempo, while executing an absolutely dangerous overtake, hits a 2-wheeler and pushes them off the road into a ditch. As expected, flees away post the accident. Blind-spot overtaking can prove fatal, yet these tempo morons seem to never learn a lesson.

IamNikhil is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 13:25   #39739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Poor bike fellow was minding his own business on the safest possible zone for a 2-wheeler on a highway. But still he was taken down by the irresponsible driver of Seltos.
Just saw the video elsewhere. Feel sorry for the biker. Idiots are a hazard not just to themselves but for others as well. Such people should never be allowed to drive, they should be thrown behind the bars for the rest of their life and never be allowed to see the open sky again!
yashg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 15:10   #39740

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
I feel they automatically make routes on the basis of phones that pass through these locations.
When too many phones start passing through, it makes it a road, based on AI analysis of the satellite image, plus the analytics data from phones.
I hear you. In a trip from Pune to Jammu, GMaps charted a course through the Jaipur ring road. The path to get on to the ring road turned out to be a ditch filled with mud and wooden planks on top probably dug up by the locals for easy access to the ring road. Having no other option because GMaps kept circling me back to the same location, I attempted the crossing somehow and made it across. Since then, I always check satellite imagery though that can also be outdated sometimes. It helps get a general idea though, I agree.
rahulpandita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 15:17   #39741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Now we have a new villian! what was the role of the small car between these 2 trucks - it is very very difficult to make out, can anyone throw some thoughts here?

Attachment 2565400
I am convinced that the car is not at fault. In the first frame itself, the brake faded truck hits the rear of the white car and the car moves to its left, hits the adjacent truck and moves back to its right. The truck at rear continues to plough through the vehicles.
bejoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 16:12   #39742
BHPian

Quote:
Happened to see this video in my YT feed. Poor bike fellow was minding his own business on the safest possible zone for a 2-wheeler on a highway. But still he was taken down by the irresponsible driver of Seltos.
I have been very vocal in the past against overtaking from left, especially the shoulder. I guess it is just that bad habit formed by driving and observing others driving in this manner, which is the culprit. Specific to this incident, it could be a joy ride or DUI by brats who were too confident as with everyone else who met the same fate, or worse. The advent of the compact SUVs have only made it much worse. Sigh!
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 17:40   #39743
BHPian

Quote:
Am I the only one or is the white car swerving in rashly between the two trucks (first 2 seconds) causing the tuck to lose control resulting in this pile up! Its dangerous to sneak in front of a truck in tight spaces, let alone the thoppur ghat section. Truckers suffer from huge blind spots and a loaded truck coming down the hill needs some space to come to a stop.

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th January 2024 at 18:07.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 18:10   #39744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Am I the only one or is the white car swerving in rashly between the two trucks (first 2 seconds) causing the tuck to lose control resulting in this pile up! Its dangerous to sneak in front of a truck in tight spaces, let alone the thoppur ghat section Truckers suffer from huge blind spots and a loaded truck coming down the hill needs some space to come to a stop.
It is still not clear whether the white car was being driven rashly / lost control or was hit by the truck from behind before it started swerving. The time taken by black truck to stop even when it had hit two trucks with full force makes me believe that it's the truck which is the root cause of this accident.

On a side note, I travel on this route 4/5 times a year. Last one being in the last week of Dec23. As far as I remember, long stretch of this ghat section going towards Salem is divided by separators, left lane being clearly marked for heavy vehicles and right lane only for lighter vehicles. In this accident video can't see those separators and trucks are in both the lanes? Can somebody please pin point the exact location of accident spot?
SamDiablo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 18:12   #39745
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

There are wrong assumptions being made about the white car.

It is a clear case of truck's brake failure, it hit the car and the car was swerving due to the impact.

The truck continued to cause mayhem even after the impact.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 04:55   #39746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpandita View Post
GMaps charted a course... turned out to be a ditch filled with mud ...Having no other option because GMaps kept circling me back to the same location,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGroot View Post
Usually before starting my long journey, I add tactical intermediate stops to stay on the desired path and not allow google maps to suggest alternatives. .
Apart from adding intermediate stops in google maps, to ensure the route through main highways, I never go into the navigation mode. That way the original plotted route never changes in case I make a wrong turn.
I can always return to the original route that continues to show in the map in non navigation mode.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 12:04   #39747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
. In this case, the fault is on the Mercedes driver.

And oh boy, what an expensive repair bill it will be!
I believe that the fault is not the Merc's. The guy following behind should be able to brake sufficiently in order to avoid hitting the vehicle in front. Perhaps he was following too closely.
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 12:27   #39748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
I believe that the fault is not the Merc's. The guy following behind should be able to brake sufficiently in order to avoid hitting the vehicle in front. Perhaps he was following too closely.
Not perhaps, for sure he was following too close if he has managed to tail end the Merc.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 12:38   #39749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Question: I was re looking at the video, did the small car going out of control trigger the accidents ? or is it just the video deceiving me ?
Valid doubt, but a sub 1.5 GVW tonne car might hardly make an impact on what looks like a 25 tonne GVW truck (from the looks of it a multi axle AL).

I keep getting alternating feeling of bizarre and unfortunate, what with the heavier multi axle truck (right in front) getting a pit manoeuvre from a lighter single axle truck (in the middle). If only there were proper guard rails which would have held the first truck in place than crumble like a biscuit.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th January 2024 at 07:28. Reason: As requested
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 14:06   #39750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Valid doubt, but a sub 1.5 GVW car might hardly make an impact on what looks like a 25 tonne GVW truck (from the looks of it a multi axle AL).
Quote:
The speed at which the 1.5GVW car came, losing control and going under the 2nd and 3rd truck may have played its part here.

Friends, please note, i am just trying to understand why this ghastly accident happened. Its extremely unfortunate and i think we all have something or other to learn. I sincerely pray that such incidents do not happen to anyone.

There are 3 trucks involved here. The first one is a Multi Axle Ashok Leyland which got hit from behind, smashes another car to its right and topples. The second seems to be a new gen Ashok Leyland or Eicher - in this accident "the sandwich truck". Third/Last one, another Ashok Leyland, seems to lose control first. My theory is the small car hits the 3rd truck and driver loses control and was not able to brake in time. If you try to watch the video in the slowest speed possible (in YouTube) you will notice that the car tries to squeeze in between the trucks.

Another possibility is the coincidence of the small car trying to squeeze in when the 3rd truck was already losing control and hitting the second truck. The car driver over estimated the situation. Plain bad luck.

Look at the sequence:

Small car trying to squeeze in between two trucks.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc1.png

For whatsover reasons, oversteers and goes under/in-between 2nd and 3rd truck

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc3.png

3rd truck hits the second and goes behind the first like a cue ball.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc4.png

Next level damage starts

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc5.png

How can we avoid such situations ?

1. Follow lane discipline.
2. Depending on the speed/terrain, please maintain safe distance.
3. Overtake when you know its safe, trying to squeeze in between vehicles which have huge blind spots is suicidal. I have been seeing this behaviour for many years and don't think anything changed. In fact i have seen our brethren doing similar stunts outside India too.
4. The railings on both sides need to be strong enough to handle heavy loads. I am sure there are some standards for these. But may not be enough.

There are many more that we can improve but the above four is top priority.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 28th January 2024 at 14:09.
sunishsamuel is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks