Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2024, 08:50   #39676
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevD View Post
The Black car was the primary reason for triggering the chain of events.
100% this. Fault is primarily with black Swift exacerbated by the lack of any defence from the ambulance. Unfortunately, the only car which actually followed guidelines, the white Swift (turned to the left side also with indicators, well before the ambulance even approached near) was also caught up as a collateral damage

The black car driver was either 100% distracted from the road or has no clue how to give space to a fast approaching ambulance. Pathetic behaviour, I wonder how we will even begin cleaning up our streets off these incompetent drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Auto guy 100% at fault. No rights to stop where he did. That was the starting point of the chain reaction that followed.
Not quite. The MVD guidelines say one should clear the path by moving to the side of the road. Not necessarily move to left side.

The auto noticed the ambulance fast approaching and moved to the side of the road that’s closest to him - this is 100% logical. Cutting across the road to stop on the left side could have made things worse and at that split second decision you give way by moving to the side closest to you. Here, I strongly believe the auto driver did the right thing by moving to the closer side.

Similarly for the black Swift, the closest side of the road was left side, but what did they do? That’s right, just stood bang in the middle of the road instead of clearing the way by moving to left. The black car had ZERO spatial awareness and was completely irresponsible.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 24th January 2024 at 09:00.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 09:06   #39677
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Ambulance driver 100% at fault. The rickshaw actually moved to the divider gap and stopped to make room for the ambulance. The black car failed to react to the ambulance and did not give way, clearly not concentrating on the road and not using mirrors.

However, still entirely the fault of the ambulance driver for not being fully aware of the road conditions. Also travelling too fast to manoeuvre safely, take avoiding action or brake. Emergency service drivers should only be allowed to use lights and sirens after completing extensive driver training. Even emergency service vehicles still have to obey all road rules. Emergency service vehicles do not need to speed or ignore road rules.
They do need a clear road.

Everyone should do their best to allow emergency vehicles to pass freely.It could be your mother, brother, son or daughter they are trying to save!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2024 at 09:11. Reason: Typos and formatting.
Redex is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2024, 09:33   #39678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh_sharma View Post
I do not where else to post this. But yesterday I was at the KTM showroom as they had the New Duke 390 available finally for a test ride after weeks of follow-up.
I test drive the KTM 390 in 2017, at the Indira Nagar Bangalore showroom.

The 390 scared me. Rarely have I ever said that, this is too much power for anything. I got a CIVIC when I was 25!

But the 390, is something else. Its so easy to go overboard with this time warping machine.

Even the 390 Adv, is something only senior riders should go for.

YOU CANT GET A KTM 390, UPGRADING FROM A 150cc. PERIOD!!

P.S. - I would have atleast 60-70k riding experience. I have been riding since 15 years.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 09:45   #39679

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
First accident on newly openend Mumbai Trans Harbour Link, skip few seconds of below video to see dashcam footage.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4YYgv1ZMAr8
Saw this news quoted as " due to crosswinds the ignis lost its control" in a news website. Considering the facts that its a semi-open bridge across the sea, where cross winds are notorious, felt that it could have also added to the risk involved in the overtaking maneuver of the ignis driver.
danger_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 10:41   #39680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Lesson learnt:

1. Never overtake from left. Never.

2. Always be belted up. Even cars with mediocore safety ratings can save you in case of an ugly crash in case you are belted up. Probability of surviving such mishaps increases.
Felt like this was written after seeing my plight. I recently drove on the East coast road from Pondicherry to Mahabalipuram and was overtaken twice brutally from the left by putting a wheel outside the tarmac. The most worrying thing was on both occasions I never even saw it coming until the car had passed me from the left. Cant even imagine the consequences if I had moved a shade to the left inadvertently. They had to do this left move as there was oncoming traffic coming from the other lane on the undivided road. Crazy how myopic our sense of danger is.
megazoid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 11:10   #39681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ambulance fault - Period.

Flashing lights and Sirens dont make driver owner of the road. You cannot kill people on the road to save someone/everyone waiting to go to a hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Ambulance driver 100% at fault. The rickshaw actually moved to the divider gap and stopped to make room for the ambulance.

However, still entirely the fault of the ambulance driver for not being fully aware of the road conditions. Also travelling too fast to manoeuvre safely, take avoiding action or brake.
100% ambulance driver's fault for not keeping any margin for error. He had a bird's eye-view coming up in the fast lane, and simply assumed that every tiny manoeuvre will be executed exactly in synch by all parties for him to pass by at such high speed.

Unfortunately, I find this unusually common in semi-rural or rural roads where ambulances are themselves death-traps or cause accidents for fellow road users with their rash just-in-time driving pattern.
itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 11:12   #39682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prado View Post
It swerved to avoid the auto probably and continue to the hospital (presumably). The swerve would have been successfully pulled off had the dark car not been in the middle of the road.
This would be true if the driver had any specialized training to handle such situations. There are no pre-requisites to becoming an ambulance driver. I know several people who drive an ambulance part time just for the thrill of driving like maniacs. I think the Kerala Transport minister said something about clamping down on ambulances who needlessly speed without any emergency (going to pick up a dead body etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ambulance fault - Period.

Flashing lights and Sirens dont make driver owner of the road. You cannot kill people on the road to save someone/everyone waiting to go to a hospital.
Fully agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Given that it is Kerala, I think the autowalla was giving space for the ambulance to pass the best way he could. The culprit in my opinion is the black car (can't figure out the make/model) - who behaved as though they didn't hear the siren at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
100% this. Fault is primarily with black Swift exacerbated by the lack of any defence from the ambulance.

---

The black car driver was either 100% distracted from the road or has no clue how to give space to a fast approaching ambulance. Pathetic behaviour, I wonder how we will even begin cleaning up our streets off these incompetent drivers.

---

The auto noticed the ambulance fast approaching and moved to the side of the road that’s closest to him - this is 100% logical. Cutting across the road to stop on the left side could have made things worse and at that split second decision you give way by moving to the side closest to you. Here, I strongly believe the auto driver did the right thing by moving to the closer side.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240124_10h15_19.jpg

Fully agreed. Autos are a menace on the roads, but for the most part in KL, they don't mess with ambulances. As seen in the picture, there is no way he could have made it to the left side without cutting across the road into the path of oncoming cars and further creating panic and chaos. He did the most logical and safe thing and gave as much way as he could. Part of the fault lies with the ambulance driver who should have known that there is no way to make it through the diminishing gap between the Swift and the auto and slow down accordingly. Whatever the emergency, the ambulance is going nowhere now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dude View Post
Saw this news quoted as " due to crosswinds the ignis lost its control" in a news website. Considering the facts that its a semi-open bridge across the sea, where cross winds are notorious, felt that it could have also added to the risk involved in the overtaking maneuver of the ignis driver.
I think thats just the "journalist"''s imagination. I believe crosswinds to the tune of 100 kph are needed to topple cars.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 24th January 2024 at 11:26.
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 11:42   #39683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoseiko View Post
Our newly bought Swift met with a nasty accident while on service.

I asked him if he was well and he confirmed. I rushed to check the car and was in mental trauma. How can they mess up this much?
Even in the midst of something so terrible, I appreciate your humanitarian concern for the driver's safety.
Wish your vehicle would be 'reset' to a good form and you would never have to experience this kind of mishap again.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 11:48   #39684
BHPian

Ambulance driver - the main culprit. Driving like crazy, leaving no margin for error especially on our roads with so many variables.

Auto driver - equal blame. You can't just stop dead on a busy road in the fastest lane to give way to an ambulance, you should slow down gradually and then make way if required. Are we even sure whether he stopped for the ambulance?
Bhokal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 12:08   #39685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
This would be true if the driver had any specialized training to handle such situations. There are no pre-requisites to becoming an ambulance driver.
In Dubai I have seen Police/Ambulance/CivilDefence(Fire) wait for a slow rolling stop if there is a active lane/road they need to cross. If they can judge that the criss-cross traffic "HAS TAKEN NOTE" of their intent to cross and slow down using WARNING/Parking light Indicators and thereby control the cars following the lead car; only then the Flashing Vehicle merges/cuts across the active lane.

Sorry to say but that Ambulance driver just reminds me the Chaapri biker videos on social media. He had zero defensive driving skills. I repeat, sirens/lights is to 'CLAIM' a right of way, once the way is clear then you move forward. Not mow down the road ahead of you.

Last edited by svsantosh : 24th January 2024 at 12:09.
svsantosh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 12:24   #39686
BHPian

Quote:
That's really sad and I feel for you!

However, this is the reason I never avail the pick and drop services. One would never know how they will handle your car. I have heard incidents of customers' cars driven rashly by those service center people.

In your case, that person alone is responsible for all the damage and trauma that you have to undergo. All this mess just to save "few minutes" of his day!

Similarly, if a car driven by service center guys is captured in cameras for violating the traffic rule, owner himself/herself will be liable to pay the fine! Such a sad state of affairs.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 13:12   #39687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Highly unlikely the Merc could have hit an animal. The incident has happened on a flyover on a busy Highway (Western Express H'way). The flyovers are atleast 15-20 ft above the ground, and animal presence is next to nil (atleast what I have seen during my daily commutes).
Last year, we adopted a 2month old kitten who came running on the divider and jumped down in front of my car whilst in the middle of a WEH flyover, during rains, on the right most lane at 4PM.

Thankfully there were enough potholes for everyone to be driving slowly and stopped without much drama, so she came and hid under our car. My wife and a fellow commuter on a bike got her out from under.

So yes - everything is possible!
lamborghini is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 13:13   #39688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
First accident on newly openend Mumbai Trans Harbour Link, skip few seconds of below video to see dashcam footage.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4YYgv1ZMAr8
Bad accident and clearly drivers mistake. He must be driving very fast looking at the video.

But even though accident was bad, Ignis handled it pretty well IMO. It was toppled completed on its back & rolled back on tires again, still you can see car in good shape after that. Also people inside are not hurt much which is a very good news. Ignis is certainly better built that other Maruti cars like Alto, Celerio, etc.
Old 24th January 2024, 13:43   #39689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I test drive the KTM 390 in 2017, at the Indira Nagar Bangalore showroom.

The 390 scared me. Rarely have I ever said that, this is too much power for anything.

But the 390, is something else. Its so easy to go overboard with this time warping machine.
Sometimes I like to take solace in such advice. Interestingly, I also purchased a Duke 200 from Indiranagar Bangalore showroom, but originally I wanted a Duke 390. The sales person adviced me to initially buy a 200 since I was riding a yamaha FZS before that. I have only had a single mishap with my bike in the last 8 years, and it was due to a skid on a very slippery road which had sand spread all over it.
Overall I have been a cautious rider through the years, but honestly I really miss ABS and sometimes I do feel I should have gotten the 390.
Why am I posting this? Just in hope that someone who is looking for a higher segment bike does not get dissuaded especially if the reason for getting the bigger bike is safety equipment.
alchex7 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 14:05   #39690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post pictures of the wheel well where the wheel has come off?

From what I can see, the apron is gone and hence it will have to be replaced, which is cutting the entire apron up from the strut mount till the front near the bumper and welded back. I would never ask them to fix this if I were you and demand a new car.

Please reconsider

Last edited by graaja : 24th January 2024 at 19:09. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks