Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:51   #39646
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The dashcam car's movement caused Ignis to panic brake, but most likely it's left tires ran over the fresh thick white lane marking strip. Panic braking with one set of tires over low traction surface has only one result that is seen in the video.
That would be only possible if IGNIS doesnt have an ABS. Isnt that a mandatory regulation requirement these days ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
However, it seems like Ignis hit the boundary walls on the left (most likely due to dashcam car's manoeuvre) and then lost the control, as there is tire screeching sound immediately following the thud and it gets ahead of the dashcam car from a little bit of distance (not very probable had it hit the rear of the dashcam car).
For sure the Ignis never hit the Dashcam car, else the dashcam car would have been in a pit lane maneuver and won’t have gone in a straight line. The thud is IGNIS hitting the left boundary wall and then thrown back in front of the dashcam car with the momentum it was carrying. Looks like the Ignis was carrying too much of momentum while overtaking and losing control.

OT - My wife did the same on a completely empty road, while picking up a water bottle which tumbled on the passenger seat, starting to drip water, to pick it up she bend down towards the passenger seat while driving, pulling the steering along with her and pressing the accelerator too at the same time. End result car damage and electrical pole went for a toss. So I hope it was not a distracted driving while looking out of the window at something fascinating.
NomadSK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:55   #39647
BHPian

Quote:
However, it seems like Ignis hit the boundary walls on the left (most likely due to dashcam car's manoeuvre) and then lost the control, as there is tire screeching sound immediately following the thud and it gets ahead of the dashcam car from a little bit of distance (not very probable had it hit the rear of the dashcam car).
Yes, exactly my assessment as well.

To add to your evidence, if you listen carefully there is a tire squeal before the thud, exactly when the dashcam car makes (or tries to make) a left move. As AutoNoob pointed out, the “tick tick” sound of indicator also cannot be heard which means it was a non-indicated left side overtake attempt by the dashcam car.

All this indicates a high speed left side overtaking attempt(s) gone wrong.
krishnakumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:12   #39648
Senior - BHPian

The Ignis was clearly overspeeding and most probably in a race with the Brezza which you see on the rightmost lane.

What's heartning is that all survived. Now this is only possible if each passenger was belted up. Kudos for that, but not for the bad driving.

Lesson learnt:

1. Never overtake from left. Never.

2. Always be belted up. Even cars with mediocore safety ratings can save you in case of an ugly crash in case you are belted up. Probability of surviving such mishaps increases.
DCEite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 15:07   #39649

I do not where else to post this. But yesterday I was at the KTM showroom as they had the New Duke 390 available finally for a test ride after weeks of follow-up.

There was another person before me, who had a little chat, and the conversation went like this (Let's just name him Mr. Dumb):
Mr. Dumb: This is my first bike i just got my license
Me: Well you should not get the 390 as a first bike, better try the 200s or the 250
Mr. Dumb: (Got offended) I have money I can afford it.
Me: It's not about the money it's just too powerful.
Mr Dumb: I have ridden my friend's Splendor at 100kmph while drunk I can handle this. "Road p sidhe bada jahaz leke utrenge hum".

We proceed for the test ride. I and the service advisor were both skeptical that he could handle the bike or not. He had no helmet neither did the SA insist much, stating the bike is insured, and your head is your responsibility.

Mr. Dumb stalled the bike 4-5 times, we insisted not to ride. He did not even have an idea whether the gears were up or down. Finally, he managed to get away from there, SA sent another guy on RC200 to keep a check on him.

Then he almost made it back, must be 50m away from the showroom. He tried to overtake the RC200 from the left side, he was around 80-90kmph, overexcited and smiling like an idiot as he made it. During the maneuver, his left mirror hit a guy walking on the side of the road, and he went off skidding with the bike into the divider

There was a crowd in no time, he was hurt and probably hit his shoulder, luckily his head was safe. But I do not pity him a bit. The guy he hit got his elbow broken and could not stand up. I was in My Comet and was trying to take both of them to the hospital, but Mr. Dumb kept refusing and said "I do not have any money", "I am more hurt", and "I will not go anywhere".

After multiple failed attempts, the crowd got angry and took the other guy in an auto and forced Mr. Dumb to go to the hospital. While the SA insisted I to get a test ride, I refused, the bike had some damage to my leg guard and fairing + my state of mind was not okay to take a test ride right after.

As for KTM, I heard a few people in the crowd saying "KTM is a fast bike, that is why he fell". SA was chill the bike will be repaired under insurance. He kept telling me "Sir we cannot refuse any customer, the company will take action".

To sum it off. KTM 390 should not be given to someone who has no experience of bike riding whatsoever, in fact, any bike should not be given to a person like this. I do not have a solution to how OEMs can tackle these mishappenings. But in the end, I feel pity for the guy just walking down the road and minding his own business.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd January 2024 at 11:38. Reason: Correcting the last line - "KTM 390 should not be given to someone..."
Harsh_sharma is offline   (119) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 02:41   #39650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh_sharma View Post
Mr Dumb: I have ridden my friend's Splendor at 100kmph while drunk I can handle this. "Road p sidhe bada jahaz leke utrenge hum".
I read this and scrolled up to see your location. Zila Ghaziabad. Hmmm. It made sense.

PS: I belong to same belt and have seen many 'Mr. Dumb' with sky high attitude and zero sense.
AutoNoob is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:11   #39651

Bro's arrogance of riding his friend's Splendor at 100km/hr while drunk and thinking that he will be able to handle the 390 is making me laugh.

Anyway, kudos to the SA for being so chill.
Scorpion009 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:55   #39652
BHPian

An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital, considering the high speed and the flashing lights, loses control, hits the cars in front and eventually crashes into a tree.

Location seems to be somewhere in Kerala, considering the number plates of the cars around.

IamNikhil is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:32   #39653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital, considering the high speed and the flashing lights, loses control, hits the cars in front and eventually crashes into a tree.
What is that autowala doing?? Stopped right in the path of the ambulance! I don't think he was planning to take a u-turn as he stopped way ahead of the gap in the divider. Also, there is no vehicle immediately coming from opposite direction that might have prompted auto rickshaw to stop! All this mess because of him and he's the least hurt party (I think ambulance did swipe it a bit) in the accident!

Also, the dark color car should have been more careful of the ambulance behind and moved a bit to the left.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 23rd January 2024 at 12:34.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:55   #39654
BHPian

Quote:
I see a few issues here:
  • The auto rickshaw driver behaves like most auto rickshaw drivers on the road. I don't even find it weird that he caused the accident. I think a prerequisite for being an auto rickshaw driver might be the propensity to be a nuisance on the road.
  • The dark coloured car should have switched on the indicator and moved solidly to the left side. I don't see why the half-heartedness in moving. He was mostly in the centre of the road when the ambulance struck him.
  • Finally, I believe the ambulance was a bit too fast for the road and the traffic. Also, what is with all the swerving? I'm not sure if it is because he struck the dark car or because he intentionally swerved to avoid the autorickshaw. If it's the latter, then it's a bit of bad judgement. When I was learning to drive, I was told clearly - You swerve only to avoid pedestrians or bikers. If it's any other vehicle, three wheels or more, you always brake in a straight line and pray the damage is minimal.

I hope nobody was seriously hurt in this video. Especially whoever was inside the ambulance.
Small Bot is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:21   #39655

Update: Had a word with SA, and he informed me that both of them did not come back to the showroom. Mr. Dumb's brother came & paid for the hospital bills & even asked SA for any bill for the bike repair.
For the bike, they do not have spare parts available yet. So it is as it is, available for test rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I read this and scrolled up to see your location. Zila Ghaziabad. Hmmm. It made sense.

PS: I belong to same belt and have seen many 'Mr. Dumb' with sky high attitude and zero sense.
There are similar people in every part of the country, but yes thousands of similar riders here. The showroom is in Noida Sec 63, if one is aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion009 View Post
Bro's arrogance of riding his friend's Splendor at 100km/hr while drunk and thinking that he will be able to handle the 390 is making me laugh.

Anyway, kudos to the SA for being so chill.
He was riding a bike for the first time while he was sober as he stated. SA & I were both astonished at his confidence in thinking he would handle the 390.
Harsh_sharma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:50   #39656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital, considering ...
Ambulance fault - Period.

Flashing lights and Sirens dont make driver owner of the road. You cannot kill people on the road to save someone/everyone waiting to go to a hospital.
svsantosh is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:08   #39657
BHPian

Quote:
What is that autowala doing?? Stopped right in the path of the ambulance! I don't think he was planning to take a u-turn as he stopped way ahead of the gap in the divider. Also, there is no vehicle immediately coming from opposite direction that might have prompted auto rickshaw to stop! All this mess because of him and he's the least hurt party (I think ambulance did swipe it a bit) in the accident!

Also, the dark color car should have been more careful of the ambulance behind and moved a bit to the left.
I felt like the auto driver stopped on the right side to wait for the ambulance to pass, and the black car did not give enough room even after hearing the siren. The ambulance driver was over speeding and thought he could make the maneuver without applying brakes and did a daring move between the vehicles which did not end well.

I would say it's 80% ambulance driver's fault. 15% black car driver's fault for not giving space and 5% auto driver's fault for stopping on the fast lane/right side.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2024 at 08:57. Reason: removed duplicate text/paragraph.
DustyWanderer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:08   #39658

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Flashing lights and Sirens dont make driver owner of the road. You cannot kill people on the road to save someone/everyone waiting to go to a hospital.
Ambulances do have the right of way. It is the duty of the other vehicles to make space for the ambulance to pass through. I am not justifying the seemingly higher than required speed of the ambulance, but the entire incident would have been prevented had the blue car driver been more alert and had the presence of mind to move to the left, even with the auto stopping at the gap in median. I am not sure, did the auto stop there (moving maximum to the right) to give way for the ambulance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Also, what is with all the swerving? I'm not sure if it is because he struck the dark car or because he intentionally swerved to avoid the autorickshaw. If it's the latter, then it's a bit of bad judgement. When I was learning to drive, I was told clearly - You swerve only to avoid pedestrians or bikers. If it's any other vehicle, three wheels or more, you always brake in a straight line and pray the damage is minimal.
Ambulance is not a normal civilian vehicle. Its objective is to reach the destination at the shortest possible time. It swerved to avoid the auto probably and continue to the hospital (presumably). The swerve would have been successfully pulled off had the dark car not been in the middle of the road.

In the eyes of the ambulance driver, a fast approaching ambulance with lights and sirens command the other vehicles to make space. Frankly speaking, from the video it looked like the ambulance would have passed through if not for the auto and the dark car. I would say the dark car was the bigger culprit here.
Prado is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:15   #39659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Yes, I had to travel once in an Ambulance as co-passenger accompanying a patient. I was holding on to my dear life for the 10min ride. It was not even an emergency, but the driver was using these sirens and non-conformance to law as his right.
nagarjun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 16:13   #39660
Senior - BHPian

With regards to the ambulance accident, please move to the left when you see an emergency vehicle behind you.

And do not wait for it to get right behind you, give way as early as possible whenever possible.

"Every driver shall, on the approach of a fire service vehicle or of an ambulance allow it free passage by drawing to the side of the road."

That's as per the MVD, Kerala.

The blue car should have given way faster and earlier. Maybe he was distracted? Who knows...
deathwalkr is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks