Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2024, 17:14   #39661
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this on WEH in Mumbai while on the way to work. Captured by my dashcam. A brand new Nexon EV rear ended a Mercedes. Feel for the Nexon owner. Not sure who was at fault but seems like a major impact. Merc's behind had a huge dent as well.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nexon.jpg
yashg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 17:35   #39662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Saw this on WEH in Mumbai while on the way to work. Captured by my dashcam. A brand new Nexon EV rear ended a Mercedes.
The Mercedes's active bonnet feature got activated. Also, the bumper is bent a little bit at the front left side (passenger) corner. Does that mean that a pedestrian was involved too? Or maybe the Mercedes ran into some other car / animal?

My wild guess: The Mercedes hit a dog / other animal and applied heavy brakes. The Nexon driver might not have realized this soon enough and must have rear ended him. In this case, the fault is on the Mercedes driver.

And oh boy, what an expensive repair bill it will be!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 17:46   #39663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post

My wild guess: The Mercedes hit a dog / other animal and applied heavy brakes. The Nexon driver might not have realized this soon enough and must have rear ended him. In this case, the fault is on the Mercedes driver.
Sorry, but in this case as well, the fault is on the rear ending car. Of course the Mercedes is at fault for hitting an animal (if it did) but applying heavy brakes does not mean the fault is on the driver in front. This is the exact reason why distance needs to be maintained between the vehicles. The rear vehicle is the one at fault.

Feel for him though, huge bills and he has hit a Merc as well so double whammy.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2024 at 08:59. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
arvind71181 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 17:50   #39664
BHPian

Quote:
The Mercedes's active bonnet feature got activated. Also, the bumper is bent a little bit at the front left side (passenger) corner. Does that mean that a pedestrian was involved too? Or maybe the Mercedes ran into some other car / animal?

And oh boy, what an expensive repair bill it will be!
Didn't see anyone else around. Surely something made the Merc brake suddenly. Nexon probably couldn't brake in time. Also looking at the distance between the two cars, Merc would have been pushed ahead by the impact so it's possible the bonnet got dented during that, but whatever it hit did not stop.

The Nexon guy must have taken the delivery recently. Even the door handle ribbons were not removed yet.
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:06   #39665
BHPian

Quote:

Highly unlikely the Merc could have hit an animal. The incident has happened on a flyover on a busy Highway (Western Express H'way). The flyovers are atleast 15-20 ft above the ground, and animal presence is next to nil (atleast what I have seen during my daily commutes).

At best, the Merc would have bumped into a 2-wheeler/3-wheeler trying a sudden lane change - that happens quite frequently on our roads and we have to bear with it

Move on and forget about it - easier said than done, though !

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 23rd January 2024 at 18:09.
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:20   #39666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital, considering the high speed and the flashing lights, loses control, hits the cars in front and eventually crashes into a tree.
The Black car was the primary reason for triggering the chain of events. He did not move to his left and instead slowed down in the middle of the two lanes. He also did not leave enough space between the black car and auto. I think the car driver froze hearing the Ambulance siren. This did not allow enough space for the Ambulance to overtake the Auto from the left. The Auto did the correct thing by stopping in the right most space possible considering he was in left lane similar to the white car stopping in the right most lane.

Part of the blame goes to the Ambulance driver for not slowing down enough seeing the congestion ahead. He probably expected the Black car to move to the left most lane. The Ambulance first struck the black car and then hit the Auto since there was not enough space to squeeze through. Both the hits caused damage to Ambulance leading to the Ambulance driver losing control of steering.

Given the position of both the cars and Auto, Ambulance driver would have met with accident even if he tried to overtake the black car from it's left.
DevD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:48   #39667

Our newly bought Swift met with a nasty accident while on service.

We gave our car for the first service on 21st Jan, The car being just 2 weeks old had already clocked 1200+ kms.

I opted for the pick up drop service by Maruti. The car was picked up in the morning and was due to be delivered by the evening. I got the call from the driver that he had left the service station and within half and hour, he called me again that he has met with an accident. I asked him if he was well and he confirmed. I rushed to check the car and was in mental trauma. How can they mess up this much?

I went to the scene and the car was totally damaged. The driver, decided to avoid the traffic and got the car into the BRT lane. He saw a police was standing at the end of it so in panic, he decided to make a u-turn and rush back. I don't know what exactly happened but someone from behind rammed the car and left the scene.

Long story short, the car was towed back to the service station in Baner and I politely asked them to fix the car as I had not taken the car back from the service yet. I also told them that I wasn't going to push insurance.

The guys were very polite and they offered to make the car as it was. I also got 50k as compensation.

Attaching some pics -

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-1.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd January 2024 at 19:09. Reason: Picture alignment
autoseiko is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:01   #39668
BHPian

^^
That car is a structural write off. The front strut Mount and the surrounding sheetmetal(apron, subframe, framerail) would have sustained severe damage.

Not advisable putting this car back on the road.
Manoj2268 is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:08   #39669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
What is that autowala doing??
Given that it is Kerala, I think the autowalla was giving space for the ambulance to pass the best way he could. The culprit in my opinion is the black car (can't figure out the make/model) - who behaved as though they didn't hear the siren at all.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:15   #39670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoseiko View Post
...I rushed to check the car and was in mental trauma. How can they mess up this much?
Are you the person in 2nd pic with a face-palm?! Because I had the same reaction by the 3rd pic.

It is a official write off, get it repaired, sell it, book you losses and get a new car. It is a chassis damage car.

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd January 2024 at 20:16.
svsantosh is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:40   #39671
BHPian

Quote:
The guys were very polite and they offered to make the car as it was. I also got 50k as compensation.
I am happy for how things panned out for you.

A doubt- isn’t there something mentioned in the Terms and conditions while availing Pick & Drop service which has a clause stating the dealership not liable if any accident takes place? Asking because I avail the same from a Toyota dealership and you have to sign that form. God forbid if an accident takes place the burden lies on you (insurance) as they have your signature on the form.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:06   #39672
BHPian

Quote:
An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital, considering the high speed and the flashing lights, loses control, hits the cars in front and eventually crashes into a tree.

Location seems to be somewhere in Kerala, considering the number plates of the cars around.

https://Youtu.be/_3UdVJ9Cbvk
Completely the mistake of Auto guy parked in the right most lane. Black car should have been more accommodating and been careful but that auto parked in the right most lane is completely illogical.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:28   #39673
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
White swift - eyes and ears open, responded.

Auto - eyes and ears open, responded wrongly, as if he is a two wheeler (thats not the place to stop. he simply blocked the "free-er" side of the road).

Blue swift - eyes and ears closed OR panicked/careless/insensitive,*no*response.

Ambulance - depended too much on the alertness/responsiveness of other motorists (a blatant error in India) and tried to deal-with-this with a swerve, what he could have managed by braking a bit earlier.
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:45   #39674
BHPian

Quote:
Our newly bought Swift met with a nasty accident while on service.
For sure there will be chassis damage (bending), suggest you sell the car and buy a newer (preferably a safer car). Divine intervention that you or your family members were not the occupants.

Quote:
An ambulance, ostensibly rushing to a hospital
There was just about enough space for the ambulance to cross the blue Swift. The ambulance had to swerve because of the auto in front.

Auto guy 100% at fault. No rights to stop where he did. That was the starting point of the chain reaction that followed.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:50   #39675
BHPian

Quote:
An ambulance... hits the cars in front and eventually crashes into a tree.
https://Youtu.be/_3UdVJ9Cbvk
Makes sense that he hits the only vehicle making way for him
Not Shocked at all
stewie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks