Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pick One
ABS 228 74.51%
Airbag 78 25.49%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2015, 11:08   #121
BHPian

Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

My preference would be for ABS only. There are many people like me who are "vertically challenged", eg 5'5'' or shorter. We end up sitting closer to the steering wheel in order to reach the pedals. It is recommended sitting as far back as possible, from the steering wheel since an airbag deployment can seriously injure a person.
In fact thought my Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI has dual airbags, my subsequent purchase was that of a Eon Magna+ which does not have airbags, even though could I could easily afford the extra 35k for the Sports model which has a drivers side airbag.
If pedals could be made adjustable to & fro, like the steering wheel adjustable for rake & reach, I am willing to change my mind and opt for airbags. Also the news of faulty airbag sensors from Takata company of Japan, which as resulted in premature deployment & the resulting injuries, in the US, has made me a wee bit apprehensive about airbags.
Old 6th December 2016, 17:21   #122
BHPian

Though I prefer both, for the sake of voting, I'll go with Airbags.

I can always drive sedately and keep enough distance from other cars on highways making sure that I don't miss ABS. But having airbags (preferably 6 of them) can never be compromised; you might get hit by the oncoming vehicle if he's not in control!! Not having ABS also reminds us to drive carefully, but having airbags is just like an armor.

So, structurally strong car with buckled up driver having 6 airbags in the car is my pick.

Last edited by kptraveller : 6th December 2016 at 17:29.
Old 6th December 2016, 22:15   #123
Senior - BHPian

Airbags any day of the week.

Bit surprised at the poll to be honest - it's a very naive picture to say ABS prevents a crash so that's the one to have. There's always going to be that scenario where locked wheels or not, you're going to hit something - and hit it hard. I'd think a significant percentage of crashes have little to do with locked wheels.

The last line of defence - airbags - are your only hope in these cases.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks