Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 07:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
No, see all I have written; the army will have to be there only in the background - just a few soldiers armed with one machine gun is all it takes, to ensure that the traffic police are not lynched while impounding vehicles. It could even be some other force, that knows and is visibly seen to know how to handle automatic weapons.

The actual enforcement job would be carried out by the same cops that do it today.

There may also be a video cameraman attached to this roving unit. To keep the cops on their toes.

We can talk empowerment and manpower till the cows come home; the fact is that Indians respond only to severe punishment threats.
Sir,

Please spend some time in Chennai. Their polite yet efficient and omnipresent police achieves the same, without any fuss. Their amazing way of managing the overwhelming traffic is one of the high points of my two years of stay in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Couldnt agree with you more sir. Take the below example, from the IT industry concentrated region of Pune, where I am sure many of those merrily moving in all directions have spent atleast some time abroad.
Do they learn from their experiences abroad? Nope!
That is fine. This situation wasn't reached overnight. if they start punishing folks - you don't need to catch everyone. If even one is being caught - ten others will reform within seconds.

Problem is that the police never catches the first rule breaker. And then hundred others get emboldened.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd April 2018 at 07:59.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:03   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir,

Please spend some time in Chennai. Their polite yet efficient and omnipresent police achieves the same, without any fuss. Their amazing way of managing the overwhelming traffic is one of the high points of my two years of stay in Chennai.

That is fine. This situation wasn't reached overnight. if they start punishing folks - you don't need to catch everyone. If even one is being caught - ten others will reform within seconds.

Problem is that the police never catches the first rule breaker. And then hundred others get emboldened.
@phamilyman, would you like to tell group what Chennai police are doing differently? It might give us few pointers. We can put them with cops here during cops - citizens interaction forum.
Sameer 26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer 26 View Post
@phamilyman, would you like to tell group what Chennai police are doing differently? It might give us few pointers. We can put them with cops here during cops - citizens interaction forum.
Their fines are very small - say 100Rs. But the violations compound.
They are omnipresent and ensure relentless enforcement.

Its the basics really.

Tolerate no crap and nip every offence in the bud.

As opposed to Gurgaon police, where a lot of stuff is excused in the interest of keeping traffic moving, Chennai police would have none of it.

To quote an old time teacher of mine, GP is physically present and yet mentally absent. That is what emboldens the rule breakers.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:11   #64
BANNED

As per today's Times Of India, there is suggestion to remove spikes installed @amanora, Pune to curb wrong side driving.
Reason being it may lead to serious accident and can cause threat to the lives!
Sameer 26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:08   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two points before I quit this thread: I suggested the fines I did as the kind of instant danda that Indians will respond to with alacrity. There may other approaches, but I believe that the fine has to both be very steep and be escalating in line with the cost of the vehicle. So if it is 20,000 for a Nano, it ought to be 20,00,000 at the other end. And 10,000 for a two wheeler.
Fines are fine, if the offender gets caught by someone who is there to catch them.

But, assuming people are caught, making fines proportionate to income or wealth is a good idea, at least in principle.
Quote:
And Indians respond very well to a heavy hand in places like Singapore without any need for visible police staff.
Sure: but you are talking of a country where obeying rules is the norm.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, the township in question have been asked to remove the spike strips.

Quote:
Amanora Township’s strategy to bring down the number scurrying in from the wrong side includes ‘tyre killers’. Initially, it met with lot of appreciation, with even people asking for more installations. However, it did not last long for the department of traffic police, after inspection, has issued a notice to the township to remove the tyre killers with immediate effect.
Source.

With many people including lawmakers and cops not considering wrong side driving an offence, or a very minor one at max, this was bound to happen.

Last edited by sajo : 2nd April 2018 at 17:24. Reason: Bold
sajo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two points before I quit this thread: I suggested the fines I did as the kind of instant danda that Indians will respond to with alacrity. There may other approaches, but I believe that the fine has to both be very steep and be escalating in line with the cost of the vehicle. So if it is 20,000 for a Nano, it ought to be 20,00,000 at the other end. And 10,000 for a two wheeler.
In terms of fines, it would be ideal to levy a fine as a percentage of the on road cost of the vehicle (say 5%). The idea of levying a fine should be as a deterrent; not as an affordable way to get away. The end objective being that people should follow traffic rules; not be able to pay the fine and continue flouting them.

Another idea could be to impound the vehicle and leave it at owner's risk at a busy crossroad. Whatever happens to the vehicle there would be a lesson enough.

We keep trying to protect the interests of the underdog; be it someone who is breaking the rules. What is the point in having rules at all then? Only for the tax paying public?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:44   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
With many people including lawmakers and cops not considering wrong side driving an offence, or a very minor one at max, this was bound to happen.
Indeed !

The spikes are life threatening only when you take the wrong side. There are adequate warning signs before you casually enter from wrong side but hey, Lets not forget that to err is human and its humans who err - So lets act humane and protect the humans but not do anything else to inculcate good road manners in them.

A majority of those who have opposed this will be the same who would not wear helmet and drop their kids to school or occasionally or on regular basis take the wrong side of the road.

This is a whole new definition of dangerous - If this is dangerous, I would call installing medians to divide 2 way traffic as dangerous too. Let us be fair to human lives, let us make the roads really friendly to road users!
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine met with an accident and broke his arm last year at the very spot where this tyre killer was installed. Reason ? he was squeezed by two wheelers coming from the wrong side and a car on his right.

That particular spot sees a lot of offenders and I feel the tyre killer was a good idea. Too bad it has to be removed.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

In the US where I have seen these, mostly these are not used on roads carrying normal traffic, maybe inside some complex or parking areas to prevent going out without paying and such (even then seen them rarely)
I hope we are not looking at putting these on roads ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:51   #71
BHPian

While it is the need of the hour, it is still illegal if it was done by an unauthorized entity on public roads. The cops have all the right, and a duty to see that these are removed. Also, if someone does fall near these strips, while not going on the wrong side, couldn't these metallic spikes aggravate their injuries by quite a bit?
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:12   #72
BHPian

A public road is definitely not the place for such a device. I'm sure there are other safer methods to prevent traffic in the wrong direction. This can turn an otherwise minor road accident to a fatal accident for someone, Imagine some one being thrown at this after an accident or dragged over this .
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:30   #73
Team-BHP Support

The guys who are opposing the spikes (it is being asked to remove by authorities I have heard) can you people suggest an alternative deterrent which would work for India?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:19   #74
BHPian

These spikes are installed right outside my apartment building inside Amanora township. While, I appreciate the intent of township authorities, I feel it is a overkill and serious pedestrian hazard since it can cause serious injuries to anyone stepping on it from opposite side. There is a school opposite to this spot and scores of kids cross the road here.

What about emergency situations like tree falling ( we had that last year) and school bus breakdown etc. when other side has to closed??

Funnily township authorities often themselves encourage wrong side driving during Holi/ Diwali/ marathon etc. when they close one side of the road and force the traffic to drive on wrong side.
Ross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:24   #75
BHPian

I personally feel that Tyre killers are the only solution to tame the unruly driving practiced by most of the drivers on our streets. Most drivers on our roads think that they will be able to save a few minutes if they take the wrong side instead of going for a u-turn but they end up creating more trouble and traffic instead. I do understand that the Tyre killers are extreme steps but then I would appreciate if someone can suggest a better alternative to the Tyre killers to fix the problem of wrong side driving in our country.
AD007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed