Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2017, 10:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

The Government of India's Ministry for Road Transport and Highways has issued a fresh notification deeming bull bars & crash guards as unauthorised fitments which are in contravention of Section 52 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and thus attract penalties under Sections 190 & 191 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.

Thus, the Ministry has instructed all States and Union Territories to take strict action against any/all vehicles fitted with crash guards and bull bars.

Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-notification.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Are "bull bars" legal in India?

^ That is good news, hope action be taken from home.

It is also important to know that adding any bars front or back increases the defined length of the vehicle, which is also a violation.

Last edited by aerohit : 16th December 2017 at 12:35.
aerohit is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 13:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... They'd have to start with the flag-on-bonnet cars. I don't see that happening.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 14:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Government of India's Ministry for Road Transport and Highways has issued a fresh notification deeming bull bars & crash guards as unauthorised fitments .
That's a really great step but it needs implementation which is very doubtful. Consider this, the Jugaad vehicles are banned as per Supreme Court but we see them in many parts of our country. They happily chug along in front of police on duty. No one is bothered to catch them, atleast in my side of India. So till the time, the administration is not proactive, such rules will always remain on paper. One of the ways to implement it would be to inform the manufacturers of these via print media to stop production. And also to all service centers to display the notice and remove such contraption after informing the owners. We need public education on the I'll effects of these things.

By the way what is meant by crash guards, is it the one fixed to the rear end? I don't like it either but my Brezza has it as the people on bicycles, cycle rickshaw and bikes don't use their brakes but the rear bumper of the car in front to stop themselves. That's a pain.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 16th December 2017 at 14:06.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 17:56   #5
BHPian

Interesting to note that the Prime Ministers new security detail has black Fortuners with these bull bars installed. (Earlier BMW X5s did not have it).
neerajdan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 12:06   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

Thanks for sharing, RavenAvi! Moving this update to a new thread.

Link to old thread

It's a welcome pedestrian-safety move
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 13:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Sadly, this move will reduce the number of entries into our Weird and Wacky mod jobs thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4312999
SmartCat is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 13:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I wanted one on my Nexon to stop inconsiderate bikers/auto guys from grazing, a fibre one. but I'll wait and watch.
Old 17th December 2017, 14:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally! Now the challenge is at the enforcement level. These days it so happens that the higher authorities introduce some new idea, but the implementation/enforcement depends totally upon the agencies responsible to do so. In this case I guess it's left to the local police and RTO to enforce this. Bengaluru Traffic Police will be happy to do so, except that they do suffer from acute blindness when some vehicles are near them.

Any idea if this applies to rear crash guards as well? I hope they also educate people about the drawbacks of having such a bull bar in a crash.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 16:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Sadly, this move will reduce the number of entries into our Weird and Wacky mod jobs thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4312999
Good grief, what is that? A granny catcher? A toddler thrower?

But, again, flag-waiving or not, perhaps the kind if car against which the law will turn a blind eye towards.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 17:36   #11
BHPian

Not only they act as a safety hazard to pedestrians and other vehicles on road but some bull bars also hide the number plate of cars from certain angles.
Glad that this move is being implemented finally.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 17:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Government of India's Ministry for Road Transport and Highways has issued a fresh notification deeming bull bars & crash guards as unauthorised fitments which are in contravention of Section 52 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and thus attract penalties under Sections 190 & 191 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
At least a good start, I seriously hope they crack down on all illegal mods we see on the road today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

It is also important to know that adding any bars front or back increases the defined length of the vehicle, which is also a violation.
"Most" of the mods we see on the road (and also here on T-BHP - tire mods, tuning maps, exhaust/intake mods etc.) are some way or the other illegal.

They violate the CMVR rules related to vehicle safety, environmental pollution.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 18:00   #13
BHPian

A long needed move, Its a huge pedestrian safety hazard ! Bumpers are designed to minimize impact to pedestrians. Unfortunately, many fellow citizens are more concerned about damage to their vehicle than a human. Good, the government is finally waking up to this. A decent read on this subject - http://users.tpg.com.au/users/mpaine/ppvd.html
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 18:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

I hope this notification is strictly implemented in letter & spirit. Such outlandish attachments are a grave danger to pedestrian traffic.
People also tend to drive rashly as they feel they are "protected" from minor accidents too. All in all it's a useless accessory to add to any car, other than off roading 4x4 cars

Cheers
Old 17th December 2017, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Recently, The Ministry of Highways and Road Transport has banned all crash guards on cars and SUVs in India. A vehicle is designed to soak maximum impact of a crash and protect its occupants and the pedestrians. A crash guard alters the design and may result in a fatal injury to the pedestrian, or the occupants.

In the next few days, RTOs and traffic police personnel across India may be seen acting against bull-bars & penalizing drivers for running them. Also they may insist getting these hazardous accessory removed from vehicles, which they did a few years ago, after a Supreme Court judgment made window tints illegal on cars running in India.

This is really a welcoming move from the authority, hope more such rules will come up to take safety measures. Also I sincerely hope, RTOs & Polices will not cause harassment in the name of power & also will not be ignorant when it comes to follow basic safety rules (wearing helmet, seatbelts, wrong lane driving, trippling etc.)

Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2017 at 19:23. Reason: Same attachment as Post # 1
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed