Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 13:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

I hope they also remove the stainless steel pipe type guards from the bigger motorbikes too. They are a menace in traffic especially when the rider suddenly believes his Enfield 500 (or equivalent) has turned into a Luna moped and insists on 'scraping' past. In Bangalore at least, it is very common to have hideous light and deep scratch lines all along the 4W sides. This is common even when you are stationary in traffic or when you've parked the vehicle!

There was one 2W chump on my daily commute who had 2 gigantic bull-bar type mountings both in front and at the back. His vehicle's gross width was around that of a Bajaj auto but his antics were a sight to see. Every time I saw him in my mirrors, I gave way to him just for safety.

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th December 2017 at 13:37. Reason: Grammar
itwasntme is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 14:31   #32
BHPian

A very welcome move indeed! While the bull guards pose serious threats to pedestrians and car occupants, it also seems to encourage those "self acclaimed" Supermen and Wonder Women to drive carelessly, thinking they are safe, bullying others on the roads and parking areas (you know what I mean, right!). Plus, as noted by a fellow Bhpian, the bars also conceal vechiles' number plates which isn't an ideal thing to do anyway.

What is more amusing is that most of the people have no idea how bad it can get in case of a serious accident with those bull bars on. Guarding their cars' bumper at the cost of health and safety just don't make any sense.
Col Mehta is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 14:36   #33
BHPian

I don't like the bull bar concept in SUV's and hate them the most in sedans. Apart from spoiling the looks bull bars serves as a lethal weapon to pedestrians and other animals like dogs. People drive crazy with bull bars and feels they are driving with some shield across their vehicles. I once installed bull bars in my Safari and removed them within 5k kms of driving. Overall length of vehicle is increased and it adds weight to vehicle which can be easily felt while driving. It is pretty annoying to keep it in good shape, the nut getting loose frequently and it might introduce some noise or air drag at high speeds.
roby_dk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:39   #34
BHPian

Good or bad, atleast there is an economic impact now for people buying automobiles with all kinds of safety gadget (like air bags) and then install bull bars to disable them.
Old 18th December 2017, 17:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You seem to be forgetting the 'economics' behind enforcement of certain traffic rules.

1) It makes economic sense for authorities for let the Jugaads run (after they pay a small bribe)

2) It makes economic sense for authorities now to catch cars with bull bars. Because it -

a) helps a cop achieve targets set by his wife
b) helps a cop achieve targets set by senior authorities
You have succinctly explained the notification "in practice" - this is all that will come of it.
Also have to think of the bull-bar manufacturers, no? A little jugaad here and there and things will move smoothly as always. (unfortunately, for us)
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 08:37   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
They have been immensely useful, truly without hurting anybody
How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 08:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Don't understand your question.

That's my conclusion of my usage (over 12 years now) as said in my post.

Last edited by parsh : 19th December 2017 at 08:51.
Old 19th December 2017, 08:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They have been immensely useful, truly without hurting anybody
Quote:
Quote:
Don't understand your question.

That's my conclusion of my usage (over 12 years now) as said in my post.
Bull bars haven't caused harm to anyone over your 12 years of usage. How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Old 19th December 2017, 09:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bull bars haven't caused harm to anyone over your 12 years of usage. How did you arrive at this conclusion?
One should look at why they are being banned as in the notification.

Simply to say, fortunately, over these years there has never been any incident wherein anybody was harmed by installation on my car while parked or while in drive. The only moments could have been, pedestrians have touched them while they were criss-crossing through the vehicular traffic jam.

Does that answer your query?

Edit:
An interesting document from Australia I came across related to this. Worth a read.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi..._VS_CI_112.pdf

Last edited by parsh : 19th December 2017 at 09:10.
Old 19th December 2017, 09:15   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One should look at why they are being banned as in the notification.
So, should you not take them off instead of saying that they didn't cause any harm?

What if the speeds were higher?
Old 19th December 2017, 09:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have both front guard as well as rear bull bars. They have been immensely useful, truly without hurting anybody and been saving grace on many occasions from rear atleast. In last monsoon season only got saved from 2 bikers who skidded due to slippery roads, which otherwise would have costed a bomb to replace the rear bumper or carry on with ugly dents.

I guess you have not understood what the bumpers and crumple zones are for. Lets focus on the front bull bar since thats easy to explain for someone who feels that the crash guard is an advantage. Firstly, you have been lucky for those many years that your car was never involved in a frontal collision. Next, please do keep in mind that bumpers are designed to deform and absorb force during an impact. So are different parts of the car. This is also required when you end up hitting a pedestrian. Enough has been discussed on how crash guards also affect the functioning of airbags. Instead of trying to save money on bumper replacements and airbags, why have them at all?
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 09:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, should you not take them off instead of saying that they didn't cause any harm?

What if the speeds were higher?
Dear Sheel, possibly you are in hurry and suggest you should re-read my posts.
Old 19th December 2017, 09:35   #43
BHPian

You know those families who travel in trains with about a gazillion pieces of luggage? And who spread them all over the berths in order to gain a little bit of extra space for themselves while severely inconveniencing others around them? They, are your typical bull bar users.

You are supposed to drive safe, keep a safe distance from other vehicles and ensure you follow the rules in order to keep your vehicle, other vehicles and pedestrians safe. And if you're that concerned about someone bumping into your precious bumpers, get them PPF'ed. Nothing, absolutely nothing, gives you the right to install additional space hogging material on your car, just so you can protect your bumpers and cause inconvenience to others.

The manufacturer of your car probably spent hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of hours developing your vehicle. You can safely say that your manufacturer is absolutely concerned about your safety and well being. Under no circumstance would someone from the manufacturer say that addition of a bull bar increases the safety quotient of a vehicle. It's just some random piece of metal that might just compromise the structural integrity of your car in the event of a high speed collision. Maybe because you installed them, your airbags won't deploy in the event of a crash!

Just because it helps save your bumpers from a few scratches, doesn't mean people should have such a moronic and callous attitude towards overall safety of the vehicle and its occupants. In my humble opinion, anyone who installs a bull bar is being penny wise and pound foolish.
sourav9385 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 09:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear Sheel, possibly you are in hurry and.
While I was and still am not in a hurry, I hope you unknowingly won't continue to ignore the message I was trying to send you, yes to remove those bull-bars.

Being a fellow BHPian, I hope and think, you would understand its cons which outweigh its pros by a big margin and that it can be a life saver in case a mishap happen. I know you haven't had one, then why put it in the first place..?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 10:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fortunately, over these years there has never been any incident wherein anybody was harmed by installation on my car while parked or while in drive.
This is an argument similar to "I never had an accident so I don't see any need for Helmet / Seat Belts".
NetfreakBombay is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks