Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2018, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test

What a relief as an existing owner!

I honestly didn't expect the car to score 4 stars, that too on 'Global' NCAP test, that too with year 2018 standards (Norms get stringent each passing year if I am not wrong). Heck, I always assumed the worst case scenario & wouldn't be surprised (shocked) if the car had scored 0 stars in the crash. Kudos to Maruti!

I currently own a Jetta MK6 and a Brezza & I am always shy to choose Brezza over Jetta on road trips no matter how bad/broken roads are. I sometimes have to take a lot of pain to make sure that I don't scrap underbelly of the Jetta during such trips. I 'almost' decided to take Brezza on couple of trips where roads were extremely bad but ditched the idea last minute thinking about safety aspect.

Now I feel that it won't be the case in future & I will be confident enough to trust the car.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 28th September 2018 at 12:59.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 13:29   #32
BHPian

I am very happy to see and believe now that my Brezza is a safe car. I am somehow a Suzuki fan, however always felt dicey about their safety. This recent test on Brezza gives me some more confidence to believe that Maruti can also make better safe cars in India .
Ashdel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 14:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great job by Maruti Suzuki and this result along with the Etios' result should help break the notion of light build quality = compromised crash safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
What a relief as an existing owner!

I honestly didn't expect the car to score 4 stars, that too on 'Global' NCAP test, that too with year 2018 standards (Norms get stringent each passing year if I am not wrong). Heck, I always assumed the worst case scenario & wouldn't be surprised (shocked) if the car had scored 0 stars in the crash. Kudos to Maruti!

Not taking anything away for Maruti Suzuki or the Brezza, but the 'Global NCAP' test here is designed for emerging markets and India is one of them. All other crash ratings such as Euro NCAP, US NCAP, etc. are more stringent and have moved on from basic crash worthiness with the focus on crash prevention technologies like AEB, etc.

An interesting read on the different NCAP ratings and test requirements across the world.
http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...cle-Safety.pdf

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 28th September 2018 at 14:31.
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 15:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

Not taking anything away for Maruti Suzuki or the Brezza, but the 'Global NCAP' test here is designed for emerging markets and India is one of them. All other crash ratings such as Euro NCAP, US NCAP, etc. are more stringent and have moved on from basic crash worthiness with the focus on crash prevention technologies like AEB, etc.

An interesting read on the different NCAP ratings and test requirements across the world.
http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...cle-Safety.pdf

That's informative, thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 17:21   #35
BHPian

Disappointed with Ford as Figo and Aspire scored only 3 stars. I trusted Ford for build quality and safety. But Global NCAP declared Aspire body shell as unstable and not capable of withstanding further loading.
Old 28th September 2018, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Well done MSIL for making Brezza, a 4 star worthy car. Now, we have both Nexon and Brezza from Compact SUV segment scoring 4 stars in GNCAP ratings. And, I am sure Ecosport too can score 4 stars (being a 4 star rated EuroNCAP car), so only WRV and TUV are the cars from this segment that have not been tested yet. Honda may not compromise on the safety front and WRV may well score good and now for TUV, considering Scorpio's unstable structure, it's bit dicey unless tested.

Hope, the upcoming new entrants of this segment from Hyundai (Carlino based) and Mahindra (Tivoli based) also can score respectively in the safety ratings, sicne this segment is one of the biggest in terms of volume.
Old 29th September 2018, 15:30   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Disappointed with Ford as Figo and Aspire scored only 3 stars. I trusted Ford for build quality and safety. But Global NCAP declared Aspire body shell as unstable and not capable of withstanding further loading.
This can be a myth breaker that many people have, even on our forum ( I concede that I am also one of those). The fact that Maruti cars are lighter does not necessarily make them any less safer compared to the competition. I always felt safer inside a Ford owing to its body weight. But the ratings suggest a different story. Infact I would even dare to suggest that going by this Maruti is a step ahead of these so called global manufactures as it is able to maintain the safety component while shedding weight and helping the fuel efficiency numbers.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 16:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
But as an owner of 4th generation Honda City, I have come to know about the dark side of having thin body panels and come to understand better the brighter side of having thick body panels.

The thin body panels are too much prone to dents and the maintenance becomes a nightmare. I love to baby my car, but all I get in return are more dents. So considering same safety ratings for two cars, I will always prefer a thick body panel car strictly considering the maintenance part.
Well, you have a point here, lighter body panel which result in lighter cars does help in acceleration and more fuel economy but they are easily prone to dents, my Wagon R has taken a bad dent on the rear door just because of school students leaning on it!. That looks awful now.

Also, a majority of Swifts, Dzires, Balenos I have seen on road have small and large dents along the panel, yet to see a well-maintained car free of dents in above-mentioned cars.
Old 29th September 2018, 20:56   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Paradkar View Post

Also, a majority of Swifts, Dzires, Balenos I have seen on road have small and large dents along the panel, yet to see a well-maintained car free of dents in above-mentioned cars.
Even though I don’t support the crap ‘thick body panels = more safety during a crash’, the maintainability is easier with thick body panels. I always wonder when I see a new small dent or a ding while washing the car. May have happened when someone opened the door of a car parked near to my car or a small stone might have hit that spot while driving through the road. It pains when you see such dents on your car, and makes you wonder “what has happened!!!, I don’t recall anything happened that can cause such a dent”.

There is a trade off for everything. Thin body panels = better acceleration, fuel efficiency, maintenance nightmare etc. thick body panels = a better ride due to the increased weight, better stability, low fuel efficiency etc. But I don’t believe people are choosing thin body paneled cars to have more acceleration, but more because of their ‘brand image and low service cost’.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Quite an amazing feat. I never thought this was possible.

Maruti trumping Global carmakers like Ford, VW, Renault etc. on safety in the mass market is a good way forward.
And my surprise was short lived. So the Brezza was an exception and not the norm. It'll be good if Maruti can fix the wrong and make the Swift safer. It's not like they don't know how to make it safer. They just have to STOP doing things that make it unsafe for India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...al-ncap-2.html
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Paradkar View Post
my Wagon R has taken a bad dent on the rear door just because of school students leaning on it!. That looks awful now.
Do all cars have cross beams on the door (and between cabin and engine bay). When I had bought a Matiz, this feature was specifically highlighted. I assume that such things are a norm now. Of course, this is more in context of major accidents, not for minor dents.
In case of Wagnor, flat sheet metal panels without any groves, ribs make the matter worse.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just to be doubly sure, this is the model thats sold in India right? Not the UK one thats exported. Just things that I worry about after having bought a Duster AWD with smaller airbags!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Just to be doubly sure, this is the model thats sold in India right? Not the UK one thats exported. Just things that I worry about after having bought a Duster AWD with smaller airbags!
Rest assured - the Global NCAP team sources the vehicles from the intended countries (e.g. India/Africa) independently, and tests them. Remember the Kwid tests where Renault tweaked the car thrice, and got scolded when their tricks were exposed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks