Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: Do the 80 / 120 km/h speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?
Yes 171 54.81%
No 141 45.19%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 00:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

I really dislike the idea of alerts. You have a speedometer in front which gives you the speed you are doing. My current cars don't have this and am happy.

In any case, driving with my wife and/or parents in the car nets me back seat drivers who keep my speed down.

But I must state that I speed according to the situation on the roads. When I am on an empty highway, I will go faster than a city road filled with traffic
Old 10th July 2019, 06:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

Just to add another point as there are several comments saying 80 is the norm( even my earlier comment was along those lines). Fact is that on any 2 lane highway 80 is a fair speed. Anything more is definitely dangerous. From that perspective I think 80 and 120 are fair numbers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:00   #18

Have voted Yes, as an answer, a continuous chime over 120 kph is sure to deter drivers to drive below the limit, i.e. unless people find a way to turn that off.

Slightly O.T.: The Japanese Domestic Cars built between 1974-1986 used to have speed chimes , usually capped at 105 km/hr.

Here's a related video below:
Old 10th July 2019, 10:16   #19

I have two driver's perspective to share.

My aunt drives regularly between Al Ain and Dubai and she floors her poor Corolla at 180 -190 km/h. She does not put any music in the car, and the car starts beeping at 120 km/h. The highway journey for about 45 minutes has a regular beeping sound. The beep does not disturb anyone the slightest!

On the other hand, my dad drives his Corolla at 80km/h (on a 100 km/h speed limit highway) he uses the beep at 120 to return to a comfortable (for him and uncomfortable for the rest of the passengers) 80.

In my opinion, the beep works only if you are willing to drive below the speed limit. Else, your brain simply shuts off the sound and you don't perceive it after a few minutes!
DriverWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:23   #20
BHPian

I have the buzzer on my Brezza and know how to disable it as well. It would affect all the other beep warnings on the car though.

At 80kmph, it beeps once and I don't find it intrusive at all. In 2 lane highways, its a fair indication as 80kmph is too high a speed for those roads. With the cars nowadays, the speeds are masked very well. With the sound deadening that I've done in my car, its really hard to realize the speeds.

The 120kmph is continuous but can be easily drowned with music. But I drive below 120kmph on 4 lane roads and only go above that very rarely. Its a good reminder to keep myself within limits. Its even better when the family is travelling along with you, as they get an audible indication to keep your speeds within limits.

There will be a never ending argument for and against this step, but the Govt decided against a strict enforcement by restricting the speeds of the vehicle and leaving it for the best judgement of the driver and his passengers by giving audible warnings.

The safe highway speeds across most of our highways are below 120kmph, where one has to brake less, honk less, and accelerate less. It always is the max efficiency space for most of the bigger engine. So win-win.

To the question in the thread- Does it dissuade me from driving at high speeds. No. I've done a trip where I consistently went above 120kmph and the beep didn't dissuade me. I ended up saving 45 mins over a 550km trip, and it was an important 45 mins for that trip. Otherwise I keep well below 120kmph.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:54   #21

Marazzo has mild beeps @ 100kmph & 120kmph. I haven't dared to check at any higher speeds above these.

Most of the times its the occupants other than me who get irritated with constant beeps if I hover around 100 kmph. But yes, they do serve as a deterrents at times to drive past at high speeds
Old 10th July 2019, 11:21   #22
BHPian

In its infinite wisdom, the govt has assigned a speed alert at 80 kmph which I find highly illogical due to reasons as already elaborated by others. The one above 120 kmph is fair.
superbad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 11:23   #23
BHPian

My car doesn't have this feature, although my usual highway drives are done at an average speed of 80-90 kph. If the alert at 80 is just a gentle reminder and not an urgent/irritating one, then I would welcome it as a reminder that I've crossed 80. I would be absolutely fine with the alert at 120 since I rarely go up to that speed.

I see many BHPians here deriding even the 120 alert and boasting of speeds in excess of that. My humble request not to do those speeds regularly. Indian highways might have improved in width and quality, but twists and turns are unscientifically built, also there's the ever present threat of any dog or cattle suddenly coming on to the road, also other highway users are not really saints. These factors increase the chances of accidents many fold even if you're confident about your driving abilities at those speeds. Going at speeds in excess of 100-120 would not really save much time compared to the increased chances of accidents and lower fuel efficiency. I agree that 80 alert would be irritating but please heed to the 120 alert.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:24   #24
BHPian

It's a half hearted move I feel. People who are driving need to adapt according to the road conditions and drive safely. For those who don't follow it's a good thing to make them reduce speed. In today's highway standards, 80 kmph feels like 60 kmph and 100 feels like 80. For errant drivers, Ford's MyKey method is better that is to lock the speed/throttle of the car at a maximum of 120-130km/h. Very useful for new drivers or if you're giving your car to a friend/relative to drive.

P.S : personally, driving above 110-115kmph is NOT recommended in India because of unattended obstacles, cattle and what not!

Last edited by jithin23 : 10th July 2019 at 11:26.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:18   #25
BHPian

While the recent steps by the government to improve road safety are laudable this step is plain laughable.

I don't have a car with a buzzer or alert built in but I doubt it would make any difference. I am not advocating driving fast or rash in any manner. Let me explain.

If I am the sort of person who would wilfully break speed limits in the city or out on the highway, I doubt I am going to let a buzzer come in between me and that the thrill of driving fast.

Most people who say that the buzzer would help would anyway be cautious and be aware of breaking the speed limit. They will drive carefully regardless. And no you don't need the buzzer to tell you that you have crossed a certain speed. All cars have speedometers placed right in front of you. You should be aware of your speed at all times. More seasoned drivers can even have a rough idea of how fast they are without looking at the speedo.

if the idea is to regulate speed then we need better tech on the roads. Speed cameras that work and better, more efficient policing.

Beeping at something is inconsequentially small to have a long lasting effect. Pretty soon you will get accustomed to that beep. Will that still bother you then? Would it still have the same effect then?
Old 10th July 2019, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Beep should be based on car and not flattened across all cars. In Indian highways we reach a destination faster by quickly reaching the top speed and cruising at that speed.

My Abarth reaches 120 KMPH in a blink of an eye and can stop in a short distance with the help of 4 discs. I have set the beep at 140 KMPH and get cautious to keep the speed around +/- 10% of 140KMPH. Other high end cars will reach 120 in even lesser time or lower gear. Why should someone spend so much on a Merc/BMW/Audi where the car is capable to do more but crippled by an annoying sound ?

Driving responsibly is something which everyone needs to learn and observe. Even a car which can hardly touch 80-100 KMPH can be fatal if driven irresponsibly.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:45   #27
BHPian

I voted yes!
My "Brute" (read Tata Nexon May 2019) has this feature and it is ANNOYING for 80 KMPH. I travel frequently on Mumbai Pune Expressway and 80 KMPH is way low for an audible alert on this highway, sometimes you cruise around at 90 and slow down a little and then jump up again but this sound is always there to Annoy whenever you cross 80 KMPH.

At 120 I understand about this functionality as it beeps like a time bomb and makes you feel that you have to control the speeds, which I think is the objective.

In my opinion a glowing alert on MID with little non-continuous beeps would have done just fine with TATA .
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:38   #28

Voted yes. I drive on Hyderabad ORR for my daily office commute and generally keep the cruze speed set at 85 kmph in my Ciaz and just leave it there once i settle on the ORR but it has happened several times that when i come onto the ORR (or any highway for that matter) from the entry toll that i pick up pace without realizing the speed. The beep at 80 kmph serves as a reminder to hold onto the speed rather than pushing further.

Previously, in my Skoda Rapid without the sensor, the same situation would catch my attention when i would feel uncomfortable with the speed and i would look at the speedometer to see 95 kmph and then back off and find a steady state at 80-85 kmph. I guess the beep definitely helps keep a check.

I haven't crossed 100kmph with this system to know how irritable it can be but i am sure that this system can help you for that split second realization of the speed you are doing.
gopal.nishant89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:40   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't voted for or against this. The cars that I drive mainly are Brezza, Wagon R (with ABS), City and S-Cross and occasionally XUV5OO. Out of these, this feature is present only in the S-Cross. The beeps at 80kmph in S-Cross is hardly audible if music is playing. And I've never crossed 120kmph to check the continuous beep. The car masks the speed so well that you hardly notice when it crosses 80. As far as others are concerned, I hardly take Wagon R over 60-70kmph as it doesn't instil confidence to cross that. Brezza also masks the speeds so well but in that also, I rarely touch 3 digits except while overtaking. Same is the case with City and XUV5OO. Basically, I drive in between 80-90kmph depending on the road plus other factors.

Why I didn't vote? The primary reason is that the overall traffic sense and conditions are not conducive enough to drive so fast. Imagine driving at 120kmph and a motorcycle darts out of a side lane on to the highway perpendicular to your vehicle and that person doesn't bother to check the traffic and there he is, right in front of you. Driving fast doesn't save much of a time but it can save your life. So this alert being there or not doesn't help me in checking my speed but my driving style does.

You'll come across many people who drive over 120kmph and for them, beep or not, doesn't matter. They'll somehow get rid of this buzzer or drive insanely.

I recently drove from home to Gurgaon over 2 days, total driving time taken little over 15 hours. And someone known to me did the same distance in 14 hours in one day with speeds touching over Gatimaan express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
The feature is useful when you are taking taxis and are sitting at the back, you can tell the driver to slow down.
The Dzire Tour S being offered by Maruti were speed limited at 80kmph. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...d-80-kmph.html (Maruti Dzire Tour S - Now speed limited to 80 kmph!)

I have no idea about other manufacturers. In case of Meru, there was an audible warning once driver would hit 70 or 80kmph, I'm not sure about this. As far as asking the driver to slow down, most of the times I've noticed that they take it up on their ego and would either start driving erratically or ignore your warning.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th July 2019 at 14:03.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voting Yes. At 80 kmph there is a mild beep in Maruti cars which I don't find distracting at all, not sure how loud it is in others. The feature is useful when you are taking taxis and are sitting at the back, you can tell the driver to slow down. Also, 80 kmph on two lane roads is borderline dangerous so makes sense to not exceed it. I am even more happy that continuous buzzers at 120 kmph is irritating. Its a 'jugaad' solution, but it works as people many people don't care about staying within limits.

Most Viewed