Yes. 99 25.78%
No. 31 8.07%
Sometimes. 120 31.25%
Only If I am aware of speed guns/cameras. 115 29.95%
Others. Please specify. 19 4.95%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 15:38   #31

Re: Do you follow the official speed limit?

Voted Yes because I stick to a limit of 70 - 80kmph on single lane roads outside city limits and I rarely cross 110 kmph even on 6 track highways. I noticed during many of my drives that the time saved by going above speed limits is very minimal whereas the risk quotient goes up exponentially by each 10 kmph above the speed limits.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'yes' since I do not wish to apply my judgement if a particular speed is safe enough for that particular condition. I would rather use my senses to look ahead and be prepared rather than guess if I will get away, unnoticed.

The mindset also got reinforced after a few visits to countries where cars are vastly superior, roads are much safer, people have been driving cars for at least 3 generations; but still follow the speed limit

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 17:41. Reason: Edited on request.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 16:49   #33
BHPian

Voted Yes. Mainly I try to over speed if I need to check for any steering vibrations or sounds which hints time for wheel balancing or alignment. Otherwise I maintain the speed limits. Anyways, most of the roads are crowded and its is hard to find a perfect environment to have those adrenaline rush.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:52   #34
BHPian

To be honest, I don't follow.
As an average Indian I don't follow speed limit religiously.
No excuses!
Old 25th September 2019, 16:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post

Tamil Nadu has the highest number of casualties with total 269,159 death and 134,584 death per year.
Maharashtra has the highest average number of casualties with average death of 161, 847 death per year.
If i calculate the 5 south states, for 2016 it is 1.42L which is very high in comparison to total number. Any idea why it is so? Please do not bring North vs South divide.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:07   #36
BHPian

Sometimes (well, mostly) because I follow speed limits where they're reasonable. It doesn't make sense driving at 40 kmph in the midnight within city limits or 50 kmph on a four-lane divided highway. Many times we don't find the 'end restriction' sign either. On the other hand, when I drive on the Hyderabad ORR or the new airport road in Bangalore, I make sure I stay within limits irrespective of the time, as these limits are reasonable.

However, I never break traffic signals, even in the middle of the night.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:21   #37
BHPian

I voted for Other as its a forced compliance of a ridiculously low city speed limit and would love to free the reins on a 'safe' stretch of road.

Living in Delhi, the speed limit of 50kmph is a PITA. Have been driving for 25 years now and old habits die hard. I have recently started using the speed limit feature of my Lodgy. Earlier I used to think I never went above 50, now the car tells me every time I do, by just not letting me do it. Now when I am accelerating , as soon as the car reaches 50 it hits what seems like a speed wall. I am thrown forward in my seat if I accelerate too fast and hit the speed limit. Now I am practicing slow acceleration. Its resulting in a lot smoother rides and great fuel economy. With all the new speed cams installed in the city and the fines going up, this practice is a must for me.

As for highways I stick to 90kmph, have been doing so for quite some time now. I think its a safe speed if the need arises to do an emergency stop and its great for fuel economy as well. Its the speed I get in the highest gear with the lowest accelerator input. Recently on Delhi-Ludhiana stretch, I safely got past 5 speed cams and got fuel economy of 22kmpl with full load.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:25   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I didn't know how to vote on this thread basically. I haven't seen a speed limit sign here in Chennai (or any road safety sign for that matter) in a long time. My speeds in city limits are dictated by the situation.

On the highway, my speeds seldom cross 90 Kmph. I hate surprises and do not wish to be presented with a situation where I am required to take aggressive evasive or braking actions. If one were to place a glass of water on my dashboard, I'll ensure that it doesn't tip over. No 'G' forces to speak of when I drive on the highway.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:49   #39
BHPian

Chose 'Yes'. I strictly follow road safety rules. Many a times have been bullied for following the speed limit as to who is watching, but my consciousness does not allow to violate them.
In spite of having high end cars, never had urge to red line them. It's my life and just do not want to take any risk by speeding.
Our roads are not designed for over speeding.

Last edited by ampere : 25th September 2019 at 22:28. Reason: typo fixed
Old 25th September 2019, 18:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I didn't know how to vote on this thread basically. I haven't seen a speed limit sign here in Chennai (or any road safety sign for that matter) in a long time. My speeds in city limits are dictated by the situation.
Have you used the Kathipara clover leaf? The speed limit is 20kmph. There are boards as well.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 18:26   #41
BHPian

I voted for others as the official speed limit is not defined on majority of Indian city roads. Even on highways, the speed limit has been occasionally specified. Even if it is, the signpost will be hidden so as no one can easily spot. There may be rules in theory for speed limit depending on the type of roads, however the classification of roads itself doesn't exist and hardly anyone is aware or follows the rules.

In summary, official speed limit awareness and enforcement very weak in most part of the country. There are very few roads especially in metros, where speed limit is formally observed and monitored. Even there we hardly know whether there is speed camera or not.

Thus for me it is always a self-imposed speed limit based on my experience. I have driven extensively in the UK and observing speed limit there was as natural as seeing in front when driving! Thus I am able to judge the speed which is most optimum depending on the type of road and stay within the limit.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 18:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Have you used the Kathipara clover leaf? The speed limit is 20kmph. There are boards as well.
I drive through Kathipara maybe 5 times a year at the most. Apparently those signs haven't caught my eye in the few visits I've made there. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 25th September 2019, 22:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. But true answer is more or less.

In the US, 5 or 10 mph over is acceptable. So, stick to that 99.99 % of the time. In India, I drive under 110 kmph even if the limit is 120. What I don't like is arbitrary speed limits on single lane highways when passing through towns. The limit will be 80 on the highway, but will drop to 20 in the town. I follow the rule of thumb of dropping my speed by at least half once I see a densely populated region.
Old 25th September 2019, 23:06   #44
VVN
BHPian

Have to say, sometimes. Having recently shifted back to Bombay, it is impossible to drive over the speed limit. However, I do pass the Sea Link everyday enroute to work and I have at times broken the speed limit there. Need to curb it.

I also drive down to Bangalore quite often but have never exceeded 90kmph on the highway. The road condition does not allow it and more importantly, I prefer a peaceful drive.
Old 25th September 2019, 23:31   #45
BHPian

In my car, absolutely. I feel safer in a car, to drive just above, say 60-70 in a 60 zone, and 80-90 in a 80 zone.
People behind, if are faster, wouldn't bother to honk, and they usually take a different lane. And, yes, I watch the speedo all the time
On my bike though, I rarely follow the 60 limit, and I try to be faster than the traffic. Cars and taxis usually try to bully bike riders. So an R15 in Bangalore is just pure fun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks