Yes. 99 25.78%
No. 31 8.07%
Sometimes. 120 31.25%
Only If I am aware of speed guns/cameras. 115 29.95%
Others. Please specify. 19 4.95%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 17:28   #61

Re: Do you follow the official speed limit?

Chief sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I subconsciously follow these speed limits:

Narrow residential roads - 20 kmph (am scared of little kids running across)
Single lane city roads - 40 kmph
Double lane city roads - 60 kmph
Single lane highways - 80 kmph (might momentarily go over this limit while overtaking)
Double lane highways - 120 kmph
3+3 lane expressways - 140 kmph
This is what I follow during the day and when there is no rain. If it is night time or there is slight rain, I drop my maximum speed to 60 upto single lane highways and 80 in multi lane highways. If there is heavy rain or rain at night, I drop my maximum speed to 45 upto single lane highways and 65 in multi lane highways.
And if I am aware of speed cameras, I always follow the speed limit.
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:19   #62
BHPian

With the new traffic violation fees, I am all the more wary of violating such rules.

But I have a grouse with speed limits. Authorities should aim at improving traffic speeds by addressing safety concerns by other means. In our country, the lazy authorities only reduce traffic speed limits to cover for their short comings.

A limit of 80 kmph on highways is plain ridiculous. What is the point of a highway if vehicles cannot move at triple digit speed?

The answer to addressing traffic snarls and traffic related delays in the metros is better traffic management; instead we have speed limit of 50 Kmph!
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:54   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
A limit of 80 kmph on highways is plain ridiculous. What is the point of a highway if vehicles cannot move at triple digit speed?

The answer to addressing traffic snarls and traffic related delays in the metros is better traffic management; instead we have speed limit of 50 Kmph!
I would prefer to be able to move at 80kmph throughout rather than speed up to 120kmph and having to brake to 20-30kmph and accelerate back to 120kmph, only to repeat this all over again.

Similarly, I don't mind a smooth 40kmh within the city as well.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
I consider myself to be a safe and defensive driver, who follows all the rules of the land. During the recent weekend drive, I forced my co-passengers on the rear-seat use seat belt.
Do you stick to the highway speed limit of 80 kmph? I feel that this is outdated in the era of 4/6 lane highways. Once I was told by a cop that they don't worry till 110 kmph. Even they think 80 kpmh is too low.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have answered and been very honest while answering with only if I am aware speed guns/camera's.

I am not a speeder anymore, but sometimes with nice music or amazing ghat roads the brain wants a little excitement.
Old 11th June 2021, 23:23   #66
BHPian

Most of my driving is in Dubai and the speed limits are reasonable. We have speeds ranging from 30 in residential areas to 160 on certain highways. In India, city driving means keeping up with the flow of the traffic and on highways, around 120 if the road is good.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th June 2021 at 06:32. Reason: Language
Old 16th June 2021, 22:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Other option because my answer is Yes but actually No. Living in Mumbai we all know what the situation is like. Average speeds are barely 15-20km per hour most of the time so yes I can say on Average I drive under the speed limit.

However we all know that the actual scenario is like this : drive at 5km/hr for 55 minutes and then when an open patch comes up drive at 55km/hr for 5 minutes. It's the only way to make any decent time. At the very least you need to keep up with the rest of the traffic in order to get anywhere. It's a similar situation on the highway as well. Obviously the speedy sections are still covered in a safe and responsible manner.

Most Viewed