Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 19:49   #31
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

What some people call the most reliable manufacturer, Hyundai is nowhere near the top lists.
Old 10th July 2020, 20:01   #32
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

From last 1 year I started suggesting Nexon and XUV 300 to a lot of my friends, colleagues and family members. None of them bothered to buy these and went with Hyundais and Maruthi's. I stopped giving advises as people do not want to listen to your advise, they just want assurance that their decision to buy a car is approved by others, so that they feel proud and blame others if something went wrong with it.

This is similar to a "famous 10 sec dancing" app or "BSIV vehicles" which is now banned by Indian Govt. Until and unless govt mandates to car makers not to sell cars which are less than 4* rated, they will continue selling it.

Not sure when Indian crash testing will be started. Eagerly looking forward to see how many of existing cars will be discontinued. The change is slow, but will happen one day.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:51   #33
BHPian

Renault Kwid was tested 5 times, Renault kept on sending Kwid again and again after making some adjustments to attain that 1 star and that shows they wanted the car to be a bit safe. Its understandable that its not possible to make 5 star cars in the entry level segment due to pricing but at least they tried and if you look at Maruti they didn't even care to send Alto.
If we think from Maruti's point of view than they are right in their own way, people are choosing to buy a maruti despite knowing that they aren't safe and they are arrogant enough to say that they won't get their cars tested anymore. Despite the fact that Tata is doing everything to make their cars safe most of people still aren't buying Tata and that shows that the majority of the population still cares more about mileage than anything else.
Ranabegins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Veer View Post
This analysis of the data is self confirming and NOT AT ALL correct.
Sorry to say but this does not signify anything.
Well, no offence and your theory might be right. But, it at least signifies who is the best among the worst, and that's more than enough for a safety conscious individual(unfortunately a minority) to make an informed decision.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 10th July 2020 at 21:29.
Old 10th July 2020, 21:40   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
The ford car which received 3 star rating is current gen Figo with dual airbags as standard, and tested in 2017. The bodyshell is stated as unstable. http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...-2-Airbags.pdf
The rating is for Aspire and I was talking about Figo which was tested before the airbags and ABS became standard across the range. In fact, Ford became the first manufacturer in India perhaps who offered six airbags on their top trim of cars across range. It’s another matter that Figo has not been tested after the changes
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 00:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Shows that Indians are very much capable of producing world-class products. This success shows that developing countries will transition faster to developed countries as they have access to advanced technologies. Kudos to Tata & Mahindra for the strides they've taken in improving their offerings in the last decade.

We must remember that crash testing is a very long procedure with high costs involved - car procurement, configuring dummies, test equipment setup, and detailed analysis are just a few steps. So we can't expect all models to be tested. GNCAP was basically an awareness campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Safer cars for India and Africa campaigns were initiated by GNCAP because crash tests were not mandated by rules in both markets till recently with the diluted BNVSAP in India.
Can you please share more on the BNVSAP? I haven't been able to get technical details.

Thanks
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 01:17   #37
BANNED

Exactly why I will never put my money on a Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Renault etc. These crooks are selling junk to us and don’t give a damn for the safety of their customers. The last mistake I made was Ford Aspire which got just 3* and an unstable body shell. Waiting for Nexon or Altroz with a better automatic gear box. The last Maruti we bought was in 2002, will never ever go back unless they bring safer cars.

And the argument that it costs too much to build 5* cars has been debunked by Tata. I’m sure it would cost at the most another lakh on an entry level car to make it safe, ₹2000 a month in EMI, hardly anything if you look at the value of one’s life. And Bharat crash testing may be watered down looking at the delays and clout of Maruti and Hyundai.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 02:48   #38
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Has GNCAP compiled this list according to a particular price bracket or did I miss some detail? I don't see Tata Harrier in this list. Has that car not been crash tested by the GNCAP?

It will be helpful if someone throws some light on this.

Regards,
ST
Old 11th July 2020, 03:28   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
I don't see Tata Harrier in this list. Has that car not been crash tested by the GNCAP?
That’s because the Harrier has not fared well in internal crash test done by Tata, hence they haven’t voluntarily given Harrier for GNCAP testing. Don’t know whether GNCAP will get one by themselves and test. Looks like the Omega platform on which Harrier is built is not that safe one. It’s a shame to say the least when Tata has cheaper Nexon and Altroz having 5* ratings and Harrier has nothing to show about safety. Let’s hope they somehow tweak it and get a 4* rating.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 08:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
That’s because the Harrier has not fared well in internal crash test done by Tata, hence they haven’t voluntarily given Harrier for GNCAP testing. Don’t know whether GNCAP will get one by themselves and test. Looks like the Omega platform on which Harrier is built is not that safe one. It’s a shame to say the least when Tata has cheaper Nexon and Altroz having 5* ratings and Harrier has nothing to show about safety. Let’s hope they somehow tweak it and get a 4* rating.
If the remember correctly, the issue is not with the platform but with the engine, which is intruding too much into the cabin. Someone in the know had stated that Tata estimated that had they been using the good old 2.2 Variocor instead, it would have been 4 stars easy, perhaps 5. This, and the delays with the BS6 transition had lead to a lot of frustration with engine vendor Fiat.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 08:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
If the remember correctly, the issue is not with the platform but with the engine, which is intruding too much into the cabin
So no chance of a 4 or 5 star harrier ? Very very disappointing
Old 11th July 2020, 08:55   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
So no chance of a 4 or 5 star harrier ? Very very disappointing
Would be an easy fix for Tata. No way they would let their flagship be a sitting duck in a stable where even the ₹5 lakh hatchback is 4 star rated.

Guess the Harrier was not developed from day one to have the Fiat engine. Again highlights Tata's slow approach in new engine development vis à vis Mahindra.

Afterall the platform is new and there isn't anything inherently unstable about the car.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 06:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
That’s because the Harrier has not fared well in internal crash test done by Tata, hence they haven’t voluntarily given Harrier for GNCAP testing.
I have no reason to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
If the remember correctly, the issue is not with the platform but with the engine, which is intruding too much into the cabin. Someone in the know had stated that Tata estimated that had they been using the good old 2.2 Variocor instead, it would have been 4 stars easy, perhaps 5. This, and the delays with the BS6 transition had lead to a lot of frustration with engine vendor Fiat.
Seems like a blunder on Tata's part. They had the opportunity, and could have easily rectified the issue with the 2020 update. It would have made a perfect portfolio with all Tata vehicles having scored high on safety tests.

Also, wonder what could have been the reason for Mahindra XUV5OO to have not made it to this GNCAP list. Mahindra uses a smaller engine, I suppose.

Regards,
ST
Old 15th July 2020, 18:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
Also, wonder what could have been the reason for Mahindra XUV5OO to have not made it to this GNCAP list. Mahindra uses a smaller engine, I suppose.
ANCAP rates XUV 500 at 4*, which is good. GNCAP has not tested XUV 500 yet I believe. It will be interesting to see it's score in GNCAP. Having said that, it is still safer as ANCAP is reputable institution. I wish Mahindra also sends TUV 300 and Bolero to GNCAP.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:20   #45
BHPian

The heading is misleading, in my opinion. There are many cars which definitely should be there on top but are not included. Few examples are Jetta, Vento, Rapid, Octavia, Passat, T roc, Kodiac, Karoq, most Mercedes /BMW/ Audi/Volvo cars, Fortuner, Endeavour, Innova etc.

So the heading here should be - 8 out 10 safest cars , among those who got tested, are Indian .

OR am I missing something?

Last edited by Lambydude : 19th July 2020 at 14:26.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks