Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 08:39   #61
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading:

Looks they speak only in the favor of the ones who feed them!

@Mods I think this should be on the homepage, and stay there for a few weeks so that at-least the few lacs who visit the team-bhp is aware of poor ethics and low standards of the popular (paid) journalists in the country.

I have absolutely no respect for Hyundai-Kia, and our market leader too.
xjosephjacob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

Quote:
This is probably what GTO mean, when he says "because we don't run on the money of manufacturers".

Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading:

Looks they speak only in the favor of the ones who feed them!

Source: Page No. 13, Delhi Edition of The Hindu, 03-03-2021
You can't take money from the right hand and punch with the left, can you? :-D

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 12:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading
Pathetic. Literally no reason for him to exist than to be a Kia spokesperson.

On the other side, I've lost all respect for Kia too. Their response to poor crash test results is essentially media management. Not gonna touch their products with this kind of lot running the company.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 20:27   #64
BHPian

This is an old video from GNCAP, showing double standards by the manufacturers for developing markets. In a car to car crash test, same car Nissan NP300, one from South African market and another that is an used one from European market. See the outcome. I am sure outcome will be same for Kia Seltos.

GNCAP is doing a great job exposing them. Manufacturers are trying every trick to dismiss the GNCAP crash results. These paid journalists is a part of it.

Don't get fooled by the paid media. 6-7 Airbags and all the electronic gimmicky is not going to save you from unstable body.

Last edited by Deepsp : 4th March 2021 at 20:36.
Deepsp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 17:32   #65
BHPian

Tata and Mahindra need to create more awareness among public on buying safe cars. When sunroof , Touch screen , Apple/Android carplay gets so much of attention & focus why not safety. Tata & Mahindra should create more advertisement focusing on safety , implant fear in minds of people who continue to buy tin cans. Acura always maintains top safety rating in its entire line up and brag about it. Below advertisement might be creepy for some but for me , it inserts a dagger straight into my heart not even in my mind about safety. It's all about messaging

I’m not comparing Acura with Tata and Mahindra , but looking for manufactures to send out a collective message to public about safety. Inform Indian public that your loved ones are much more important than few rupees saved in the name of mileage and ease of service. When you have a massive advantage against your competitors why not brag about it little louder. Send a strong message in main stream media , TV ads, Twitter and other social media. Create an image that TATA/Mahindra cars means safety and nothing else can match it .It’s unfortunate that none of the GNCAP ratings affects the sale of unsafe cars like WagonR , Swift , Santro , Seltos , etc . Unless we stop buying unsafe cars , manufacturers will continue to sell more tin cans .
rainmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Let me be a bit honest here- while on the one side we are talking about the so-called letdown by some manufacturers in terms of GNCAP scores, we are also conveniently ignoring certain basic safety norms that manufacturers do comply with, such as the 80/120 kph speed buzzer warnings- and we have a thread that talks about disabling the warnings on certain models.

Suggest that we be consistent in all aspects of safety, and not just focus on the "ultimate" structural issue. There are a lot of things that can encouraged to prevent disastrous outcomes during driving.
Old 16th March 2021, 18:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Inform Indian public that your loved ones are much more important than few rupees saved in the name of mileage and ease of service. When you have a massive advantage against your competitors why not brag about it little louder. Send a strong message in main stream media , TV ads, Twitter and other social media.
Ford already tried advertising the importance of safety by making some really emotional ads like the Acura ad which you shared. I am attaching links of a few I could find below
1)

2)

The best time to play these ads is during the so called 'Road Safety Awareness' Cricket series but ironically I don't remember seeing even a single advertisement related to road safety during the breaks

Infact the above two videos really put a dagger in my heart when I was car hunting and I decided not to buy any car unless it had a minimum 6 airbags with strong body. Me and my wife even decided to stretch the budget if required and buy a single safe car and use for 15+ years instead of buying gizmo loaded cars and upgrade every 5 years. That's how we landed with the Toyota Yaris in spite of it being a flop car. Our initial budget was 8L and we exceeded it by a lot. I know not everyone will be in a position to exceed their budgets but today there are safe options for every budget, so that's not an excuse.

But sadly, large part of India customers either not care about safety or are not aware. Manufacturers can only do limited advertising and when it is not making the desired impact, they will not be motivated to advertise. I do not agree if someone claims safe cars are expensive. Show me any popular but unsafe car and I can show you a safer equivalent for similar price. Only the entry level segment of cars <4L is where every car is unsafe and considering that the target audience for this segment is those who upgrade from two wheelers, its forgivable.
If we are buying any car >6L with poor safety, I blame us the consumers as well as the regulators for it. Manufacturers already know how to make a car safer at a given price but as long as regulators dont push them and consumers only demand gizmos, it makes perfect sense for them to keep making tin cans. The only case where I would blame manufacturers is when they give a perception of safety by giving 6+ airbags, ESP etc and underneath still make tin cans (I see you Kia )

Its not all dull and gloom though. A significant portion of the young generation is starting to demand both safety as well as gizmos and almost everyone in my friends and relatives circle who brought cars recently have given huge weightage to safety and brought Tatas and Fords.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Infact the above two videos really put a dagger in my heart when I was car hunting and I decided not to buy any car unless it had a minimum 6 airbags with strong body. Me and my wife even decided to stretch the budget if required and buy a single safe car and use for 15+ years instead of buying gizmo loaded cars and upgrade every 5 years. That's how we landed with the Toyota Yaris in spite of it being a flop car. Our initial budget was 8L and we exceeded it by a lot. I know not everyone will be in a position to exceed their budgets but today there are safe options for every budget, so that's not an excuse.
I'm glad and happy that you have purchased one of the safe car in your budget. Among my family members, friends and colleagues I try to educate about crash worthiness, crash ratings and how it can save their loved ones in case of any mishaps. Some of my friends have listen to my advice and bought safe cars, some have ignored and bought the usual suspects from Maruti and Hyundai. Nevertheless it doesn’t stop me from raising safety aspects when we are discussing on purchasing cars.I quite often share safety related threads from Team-BHP with my Whats app groups.

My humble request to fellow auto enthusiast, please spread the awareness on safety and share the available information from reliable sources with friends/family members to make their own decisions.
Old 4th June 2021, 20:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Between 2014 and 2021 Global NCAP has completed more than forty-three safety assessments.

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-e2ycjwgwqaqc99z.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:51   #70

Slightly off topic, but came across this video from a British car channel called 'carwow'. They usually do drag races and the content is pretty entertaining. Nice British wit.

They did one segment recently on crash tests. Slightly morbid but interesting watch, none the less.

9:35 onwards they compare a car crashing into the back of a truck with and without 'impact guards'. The difference in outcome is staggering!

I was wondering if this is enforced in India or not. I have noticed some sort of impact guards on trucks but I doubt they're up to any sort of standard.

And if we don't, then this should definitely be picked up by the government since trucks parked on the sides of unlit roads cause so many accidents.

kedar191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 10:03   #71
BHPian

How does Global NCAP decide which cars to test and which cars not to test?

I understand Global NCAP is not for profit and their funds are limited.
I understand that car manufacturers can voluntarily submit their cars for testing, like Tata did for Altroz.

Why are popular cars like Maruti Baleno, Hyundai i20, Ford EcoSport, Skoda Rapid, Toyota Innova, Hyundai Creta not yet tested?

In the above example, Innova, EcoSport, Rapid have a perception of being safe cars. Their manufacturers would have tested them already in their in-house crash resting facilities.
Why are these manufacturers (Ford, Skoda, Toyota) not willing to send the cars for testing and get a Global NCAP rating?
Old 10th November 2021, 17:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated list as on today (10thNov21)

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:18   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated List of Global NCAP results of cars in India (April-2022) :

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-fqjldp5xeaay9jt.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th April 2022 at 10:20.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 07:46   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The Global NCAP results so for Indian auto scene:

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-fv7znv4wiaa8hlt.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th June 2022 at 07:48.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 16:49   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Global NCAP results so for Indian auto scene:
Interesting to note that sister concern Hyundai's humble 2-airbag equipped i20 gives better child protection than the 6-airbag equipped Kia Carens, that too at nearly 2/3rds of the asking price!

Hyundai i20 with 2 airbags: Adult = 8.84/17, Child = 36.89/49.
Kia Carens with 6 airbags: Adult = 9.30/17, Child = 30.99/49.

Pathetic.

Really.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks