Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 14:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test

ASEAN NCAP has awarded the new Nissan Magnite a 4-star safety rating. The rating is based on the overall score and the details will be released in the near future.

Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test-download-25.jpg

The Nissan Magnite was launched in India on December 2, 2020. Currently, the crossover is only manufactured in India and therefore, it is likely to be the India-spec car that was crash tested. However, ASEAN NCAP is yet to confirm this.

Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test-magnite-asean.jpg

The Magnite is based on the CMF-A+ platform. It comes equipped with a host of safety features including ABS with EBD and Brake Assist, dual airbags, Vehicle Dynamic Control, Traction Control, Hill Start Assist and Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

In India, the Magnite is available with two engine options. These include a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine that puts out 71 BHP @ 6,250 rpm and 96 Nm @ 3,500 rpm and a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder turbo petrol unit that makes 99 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 160 Nm @ 2,800-3,600 rpm. Both engines are offered with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Additionally, the Magnite is also be offered with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) mated to a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine. However, in the CVT version, peak torque has been limited to 152 Nm @ 2,200-4,400 rpm.

Thanks to Dr. Kushal for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
TusharK is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test

Great to see some very solid offering in sub 4m space which focus on safety.

Nexon, Altroz, vitara brezza and now Magnite. Nissan really wants Magnite to succeed and I hope it does !!
rajshenoy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:15   #3
BHPian

Well done NISSAN.

As they say " There is no substitute for hard work. Never give up. Never stop believing. Never stop fighting"

Nissan Magnite now becomes even more enticing. Hope they don't increase price by much.
DImPo is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:19   #4
BHPian

Good to hear this! Is Asean NCAP less stringent than GNCAP?
Old 1st January 2021, 15:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the best all rounder in its segment! Kia/Hyundai better watch out.
giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:23   #6
BHPian

Great to hear the news, hopefully this will convert into more sales for Nissan.
Old 1st January 2021, 15:30   #7
BHPian

This is just unbelievable! Nissan seems to have heavily reworked the CMF-A platform to make it safer because the Kwid scored very poor in crash tests. Good going Nissan!

On a lighter note, this was the first auto news I saw in 2021 and happened to be a great news too! Is this an indicator that this new year might be very good for all of us car enthusiasts?
Rambo-RS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thing to note on ASEAN NCAP test:

Variant selected for testing normally will be the most basic one.

Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test-1.png
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:31   #9
BHPian

Great performance by Nissan, but I would reserve my applause till the time they test an Indian market Magnite. ASEAN NCAP ratings are not applicable to our market.
For instance, the ASEAN spec Swift had managed to score a decent 4 stars, while the India spec only managed a laughable 2 in the global NCAP test, which is less stringent as compared to the ASEAN NCAP test.
Global NCAP only tests cars for frontal offset at 64KM/H, and does side impact tests only in cases where the manufacturer sponsors the test car.
ASEAN NCAP on the other hand tests cars for frontal impact, side impact and even judges them on some other parameters.
Hence, not only are the testing methods different, even the cars are built to different standards and specifications.
Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test-7b71df6ca6ff4126a983a9b4a3bdc06c.png

Nissan Magnite scores 4-stars in ASEAN NCAP crash test-f48005d3827d49d0b28f896bbaccb427.png

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 1st January 2021 at 15:37.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:33   #10

Some said the interior quality was compromised and hating it, But Nissan came back with the crash test to prove the exterior build quality. Nissan has done a good job by under cutting the cars from its segment with respect to build quality.
Soorya Ramesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:34   #11
BHPian

Great news. I can see Magnite's waiting period to jump now. I wish Nissan also launches a 6 airbag version to solidify it's offering portfolio in India. This will make them a serious contender for huge mind share in CSUV market focused on safety aspect too.
ShankarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

One can only hope that this rating does, indeed, apply to the sold-in-India Magnite. This seems likely, considering that production of the export-spec Magnite has reportedly not started yet. If this is true, then kudos to Nissan. They're known for making efficient, reliable and safe passenger cars worldwide, and it's about time they start doing the same in India too (Crash tests in India have not been kind to Renault-Nissan-Datsun cars in the past).

However, what I'd like to point out is that this rating cannot be compared directly to a Global NCAP rating because of differences in testing protocol. Whether the test protocol of the ASEAN or Global NCAP is better is not for me to say.

Nevertheless, this is an overall good indicator, at the very least. When test details are out, ASEAN NCAP will probably specify the rating validity for markets. If the rating does hold for India, this might very well work in Nissan's favour with regard to sales. This might also be further proof that a car's door panels do not affect safety (from what I hear, the Magnite's exterior panels are tinny). However, I will reserve my comments on this till more details of the test are revealed.

I really wish Nissan would add side and curtain airbags to the Magnite, which would really help further. Its cousin, the Triber, has torso-protecting side airbags already.

Last edited by ron178 : 1st January 2021 at 15:57.
ron178 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:37   #13
BHPian

This is good news. This is great results for what was called a cheap build car just because it was priced right.
We have grown used to overpriced cars so much that any honest pricing makes us suspect there must be a gaping compromise under the skin.
The 4star puts that debate to rest.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 16:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

While I really want to see Magnite succeed in crash tests so that people can see how Hyundai/Kia are fleecing Indian customers(already proven by TATA/Mahindra to some extent), will reserve my applause for now.

Knowing how manufacturers follow double (read cheaper) standards for Indian offerings it’s imperative we wait for GNCAP to test the Indian spec car. Nissan, you better not disappoint us
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 16:12   #15
BHPian

Killer pricing, nicely packed features list and this. Kudos Nissan!

Now, all it needs is an equally aggressive PR strategy and may be also increase the dealerships and service centers
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed