Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 21:34   #76
BHPian

Re: How important is our concern for safety?

The tone and general attitude in this thread are completely wrong. Safety is something that is almost completely ignored in India in all walks of life. A lot of factors contribute to this including lack of education, lax law enforcement and superstition which means believing in fate and higher powers to protect you rather than acting in a safe manner. That is why every car has some idol or photo but almost no one drives safely or wears a seatbelt.

Now, in this scenario, anything that can create focus on improving safety has to be warmly welcomed. How can we change people’s long entrenched bad habits if not by shrill and vocal reminders, criticism and even ridicule? For tacking such a long entrenched problem, we need harsh measures. In fact rather than being over the top, the focus on safety is almost completely lacking. So yes, a person moving from a two wheeler to any car is better off but there is no harm in him learning that a better, safer car is desirable. If we simply applaud it and never show the way then he would remain complacent in the belief that he is now safe in a car. For something that can save hundreds of thousands of lives and millions of injuries a year, a few words of criticism or even ridicule are a small price to pay. Coming to affordability, there are plenty of options if one is aware. If I had to choose in a budget of less than 5 lakhs, I would choose a Honda Civic from around 2010 to 2015 which are easily available at as low as 1 to 2 lakhs. They have dual airbags and ABS as well as a comparatively well built body. Equally good would be a VW Jetta from 2010 to 2016 that can be had under 5 lakhs today. Comes with 8 airbags, stability control and ABS. A great car with excellent safety. I am appalled when people pick an Alto over a Civic or Jetta and thereby give up on comfort, elegance and safety. I understand the concern with repair cost but for the benefit you get, it should be a no brainer. So the point is that any information about the importance of safety that is drummed in, in any way whatsoever, should be warmly welcomed. Most people on this forum are not in the lower social strata but we routinely see people buying or talking about buying an Alto or a used unsafe small car. That is simply because safety is not a priority for them. Confusing the issue by bringing up other unsafe areas is not logical. We have to try and remain safe by controlling the factors within our ability. Just because I have to work in an unsafe office doesn’t mean my car and home also need to be unsafe.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 00:42   #77
BHPian

Yet another amazing video from Fortnine, this time on safety.

He makes a very convincing argument as to why e-bikes or even normal cycles are pretty unsafe for urban commutes. I used to commute literally everywhere in Bangalore about 8 years back, but wouldn't dream of doing that today.

pavanmadhini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:06   #78
BHPian

The increased awareness about safety of cars, GNCAP etc. is definitely welcome. But OP's comments on overall road safety, or safety infrastructure are valid too. Though we are getting safer and safer vehicles these days, especially 4 wheelers, our country is in a pathetic state when it comes to safety infrastructure. Since the agencies that are responsible for erecting such infrastructure are not doing their job, people have started resorting to buying safer cars, believing that such cars will provide them with a better chance of survival in case things go wrong. It's a simple case of people who are responsible for laying carpet on the ground not doing their job causing people buying better and better shoes.
Old 19th January 2021, 15:15   #79
AZT
BHPian

Someone above mentioned Tata has 4/5 cars safety tested but I haven't been able to find any rating for Hexa and if we include the Harrier it's 4/6 cars tested. And with the Safari coming up, if there's no test done it becomes 4/7 cars.

I'm a Tata user myself but it would be hypocritical to bash other manufacturers unless *All* your cars are safe.
Old 19th January 2021, 20:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_ritz View Post
We should not be judging other people's choices. Everyone has the freedom to buy whatever they want ... That being said, encouraging people to buy an unsafe car when you can buy a safer one not a logic I subscribe to.
I think you have neatly summarized the key points. The main concern in this thread appears to be that of online trolling about the supposedly "unsafe" cars. There is no doubt that the problem of online trolling has become a pandemic itself in all aspects of life, not just for the cars.

I currently drive a Maruti. I have no doubt in my mind that it's a unsafe car hence I have decided to opt for a relatively safer car as the next one. After all, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" and here is a prime example why we should be concerned: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4981632

Last edited by gmhossain : 19th January 2021 at 20:31.
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 21:45   #81
BHPian

I have an unusual scenario, let's say car A is stopped at a signal with engine off to save fuel, car B crashes into A for reasons unknown, as car A was turned off will the airbags open as designed or not. The car has been switched off/has auto start stop.
Old 19th January 2021, 22:06   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
I have an unusual scenario, let's say car A is stopped at a signal with engine off to save fuel, car B crashes into A for reasons unknown, as car A was turned off will the airbags open as designed or not. The car has been switched off/has auto start stop.
Yes!

Fuel saving engine start-stop systems will leave the ignition ON, lights will be on , Aircon blower will be on and engine is ready to crank as well. The airbag circuit and ECU has full power to determine whether to deploy or not.

Your owner's manual will have more information on this though.

When you move the key to Ignition ON before cranking the engine, the airbag light comes on an then it goes away, it means the system is now armed, otherwise it is not. Airbags in the front are designed to inflate upon severe front impact usually and not otherwise.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:50   #83
BHPian

Let's get one thing straight. I don't think any Tom,Dick and Harry can post something on TeamBHP. This is one of the most respected forums in the country. We, the members of TeamBHP, in my opinion, are a group of passionate but knowledgeable netizens (atleast basic knowledge if not more). Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and obviously it may not be agreeable to everyone in the forum. It's not bad to be a little tolerant though. Period.

An individual aspiring to purchase a new car at a particular price point might not be always willing to purchase a used car from a segment few notches above,even though if it costs the same as the new car. The rationale behind this needs no explanation. Let's imagine a hypothetical situation. From this day onwards, everyone in our country decides to buy only top rated safe cars and nothing else. So, what about the millions of "unsafe" cars that are already plying on the roads? We can't be selling them to someone, because the next owner would again be driving the same "unsafe" car and the person will definitely be ridiculed and criticised mercilessly. So, junk them and send them to the scrapyard? Possible? Practical? I seriously don't know.

In my opinion, it is for a genuine reason the cars are rated SAFE or UNSAFE by certain agencies, no arguments, rants about it. Educating people and creating awareness about safety this way is a welcome move. What is more important is, irrespective of the set of wheels a person owns, if found violating traffic rules, must and should be criticised and dealt severely. But it is completely unfair to humiliate law abiding motorists just for driving or owning a so called "unsafe" car. It is no secret that not every car manufactured is tested and certified for safety. In that case, purchasing the cars that are not tested is a pure gamble of sorts. As pointed out by many in the forum, a lot of things in our life is far from ideal and beyond an individual's control like roads, public transportation, workplace conditions and so on. But the hypocrisy surrounding the whole issue of SAFETY is bothersome and unhealthy. This brings me back to the question "How ideal/important/real is our concern for safety"
Old 19th January 2021, 23:14   #84
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Someone above mentioned Tata has 4/5 cars safety tested but I haven't been able to find any rating for Hexa and if we include the Harrier it's 4/6 cars tested. And with the Safari coming up, if there's no test done it becomes 4/7 cars.

I'm a Tata user myself but it would be hypocritical to bash other manufacturers unless *All* your cars are safe.
I'm pretty sure that someone happens to be me.

I'll quote what I said and highlight the relevant bits
Quote:
Tata's current stable has 2 four star rated, 2 five star rated and one unrated passenger car that are currently available for sale. That brings the total to 4/5 of their passenger cars currently on sale being safe, if not 5 star.
I assume it was and still is correct as of writing even this post. Yes, the Safari will bring that down to 4/6 once it launches and as for the Hexa, I assume it has been discontinued since the BS VI norms kicked in. If they resurrect the product, sure it will be 4/7, otherwise I could add Zest and bring the tally to 5/8, but I reckon I didn't do so in my initial post either because they don't sell it anymore, as a passenger car at least. Moreover, it would be futile and a needlessly long chore going all the way back if someone else is miffed with why I didn't include the Indica. Hope this provides some clarification.

As for the last line, I think you'd be hard pressed to one up Tata's tally (except maybe the VAG group? Please let me know of more manufacturers who generally, if not always make safe cars even under the price sensitive 1 Million rupee mark) at the time of writing that as well as this post, unless you decide to bring in some big names like Volvo's and the sort. Fair enough if you don't want to bash other manufacturers for whom safe cars are the one-off, who defend their unsafe cars by calling GNCAP 'a self-proclaimed party', who cite some vague statistics to justify why Indians don't need safer cars, who decide not to send their cars to GNCAP altogether instead of owning up. I'm ok with being just a teensy-weensy bit of hypocritical and giving them the bashing they deserve.

I personally appreciate Tata's efforts for making safe cars right from Tiago, all the way up to Nexon. I appreciate that they didn't make excuses citing cost reasons, even under the 1 Million rupee mark. Whether they have faltered in their flagship products remains to be seen and I'd like to hear the why from them in such a case.

Rest assured that I wouldn't spare Tata either for the bashing they deserve if the Harrier twins return home with poor crash results and they start issuing statements like these other manufacturers. But until then, Tata remains a safe bet unless you're too wealthy to have the money to splurge on their current flagship product available for sale. Besides, I don't know if any of Harrier's direct competitors have been crash tested by GNCAP. What other safer alternative could I currently present to a prospective Harrier customer looking for something in that particular segment and body type? Hector? Maybe you can point me to one and I'd be thankful for the same. Promise.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2021 at 05:08. Reason: As requested
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:32   #85
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Rest assured that I wouldn't spare Tata either for the bashing they deserve if...
Just quoting a small bit, the Zest is gone for good. The Hexa BS6 is coming and was also showcased at the Auto Expo 2020, I believe the timeline got pushed back because of Covid. It's supposed to be just cosmetic changes and so counted that as it's more or less the same structure. The Harrier is never going to be tested till they fix the engine placement (IIRC) flaw someone had mentioned on another thread so best to assume it's 3 Stars or below. I don't see them not testing it if it was 4 Stars just so they can then do their marketing blitz.

I'm a happy Tata user but some of the Youtube commenting fan boys are just cringe and Tata needs to get their PR department pushing this in check.

BS 6 Hexa spotted link - https://www.rushlane.com/new-tata-he...-12389010.html
Old 20th January 2021, 17:15   #86
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Just quoting a small bit, the Zest is gone for good. The Hexa BS6 is coming and was also showcased at the Auto Expo 2020, I believe the timeline got pushed back because of Covid. It's supposed to be just cosmetic changes and so counted that as it's more or less the same structure. The Harrier is never going to be tested till they fix the engine placement (IIRC) flaw someone had mentioned on another thread so best to assume it's 3 Stars or below. I don't see them not testing it if it was 4 Stars just so they can then do their marketing blitz.

I'm a happy Tata user but some of the Youtube commenting fan boys are just cringe and Tata needs to get their PR department pushing this in check.

BS 6 Hexa spotted link - https://www.rushlane.com/new-tata-he...-12389010.html
I apologise that this post is going to be completely . Mods, please delete if it isn't apt for this thread.

See, I have no intention to degrade or be rude to anyone. I partly agree with you that Tata should have proactively sent their flagship product for a crash test, but the fact they have not done so has led to apprehensions ever since ram87pune's post on Harrier's speculative crash test ratings. His insider scoops are invaluable, I agree. But then, I want you to riddle me this:

1. Why won't you believe the very same source when they say that the plans for BS6 Hexa have been shelved for now. Link here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4972684 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

2. ram87pune's insider sources said that the panoramic sunroof on the new Safari was an impossibility owing to the stepped roof design, and they would have to make do with a normal sunroof, which may or may not arrive by the time of its launch, but as you would probably know by now, the new Safari doesn't have a stepped roof and does indeed have a panoramic sunroof, contrary to his sources.

I hate that I have to resort to pointing this out and use his name once again to remind everyone about Harrier's crash rating being a speculation. I profusely apologise to ram87pune for having to use this example once again. It has never been my intention to question the credibility of his sources. His post actually helped me not assume Harrier's crash rating without GNCAP results to back myself up, otherwise I was initially of the impression that being a Tata product, it would easily manage a 4/5 star. Not anymore, but I wouldn't assume a 2/3 star either, because I can't back that up with official sources.

That said, I'm conflicted why you're in splits about speculations from the same source; you choose to believe their speculation about the Harrier's GNCAP rating but not the one which speculates that the Hexa has been canned for now with very slim chances of the project seeing the light of the day again, and in case it does, it being a completely new SUV. Why this discrimination?

While your speculations about Harrier's crash ratings are welcome, I believe I have mentioned before: if and when Tata decides to resurrect the Hexa, it will take the tally to 4/7, assuming that the Harrier and Safari have either not been crash tested or been proven unsafe. Until then, I stand by what I said in my original post, because not only was it true at the time of writing that very post, it still is.

Last edited by rpm : 20th January 2021 at 17:21.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:26   #87
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
I apologise that this post is going to be completely .
I'm just going to comment one thing about the Hexa and put this to rest, it's still listed on the Tata website. A simple google search shows you. Either they are getting it back with cosmetic changes so keeping the page up or this is a mistake and the page will be deleted for good. Either way, time will tell.

https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/hexa
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:41   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While your speculations about Harrier's crash ratings are welcome, I believe I have mentioned before: if and when Tata decides to resurrect the Hexa, it will take the tally to 4/7, assuming that the Harrier and Safari have either not been crash tested or been proven unsafe. Until then, I stand by what I said in my original post, because not only was it true at the time of writing that very post, it still is.
Small observation - Tata`s website mentions about GNCAP rating of 4 stars for Tigor, 5 Stars for Altroz - thats it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:44   #89
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
I'm just going to comment one thing about the Hexa and put this to rest, it's still listed on the Tata website. A simple google search shows you. Either they are getting it back with cosmetic changes so keeping the page up or this is a mistake and the page will be deleted for good. Either way, time will tell.

https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/hexa
I guess they must be planning to bring back the zest too then.

https://zest.tatamotors.com
How important is our concern for safety?-screenshot_20210120173627086.jpg

https://zest.tatamotors.com/price
How important is our concern for safety?-screenshot_20210120173644363.jpg

In case you want the products they currently offer: you can go to their official website, open it in desktop mode and click/tap on brands
How important is our concern for safety?-screenshot_20210120174102276.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th January 2021 at 20:42. Reason: typo
Old 20th January 2021, 17:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I happened to stumble upon the Bolt website and wondered why it was still there and then I realized even Nano website is still up - felt good that my old car is still on sale!!

How important is our concern for safety?-nano-website.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks