Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 358 54.24%
No 302 45.76%
Voters: 660. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 18:18   #106
BHPian

Re: GNCAP: So, would you use an unrated / poorly rated car as a city driver only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash97 View Post
If that 0-star car is a death-trap, IMHO, that motorcycle is a moving coffin!
Frankly, using this as a justification for flimsy cars need to stop. A motorcycle is there for a simple reason, mobility at a price. Show me a car that you can buy without gouging out 5 figured number from your wallet, then we can talk.

All those bikes that sell for good 5 figures now have ABS and some even traction control. These are absent in most basic model cars today, so lets get back to what we are discussing here.

The question here is totally different, if anyone can afford a car will you WILLINGLY buy or use a car that is not safe. Now that its cleared, lets get on with it.
prasanna.vps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:33   #107
BHPian

Re: GNCAP: So, would you use an unrated / poorly rated car as a city driver only?

Heart says NO but head says YES primarily due to lack of options.
Agreed that we used to drive unsafe cars in past, but to carry the same notion ahead is not a prudent argument. The risks and requirements in the past are not the same in today's world and hence there is the evolution cycle of products. The average speeds even within the city have gone up along with numbers of vehicles altogether. Put an alto and tiago on crash lines on Gurgaon expressway which is used by zillions to commute during the day and no price for guessing the winner.

Another argument being put forth is the importance of driver. A bad driver is a bad driver, safe car or not. He will end up hurting someone at some point in time, safety is not an antidote for a bad driver. But that doesn't mean a good driver will not get into bad crashes, there are genuine mistakes and sometimes there are enough idiots on the road.

Principally, a safe car just adds a layer of safety which will always be helpful compared to a unsafe car, be it within the city or out on highways, good driver or average one. However, practically, safety is still in infancy in our budget cars and seen as an option. A budget tight person will be forced to think that I am a good driver argument else he may not be able to purchase the car.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:43   #108
BHPian

I can't afford 2 cars. Hence voted no.

If it was electric with speed restriction upto 40 kmph then the unrated city car is ok.
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:08   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes and No. I've not voted and may not vote.

I live in a tier 3 city with less wider roads and narrow to extremely narrow bylanes. My current city ride is a 2012 Wagon R Vxi (ABS & Airbags) version. When it was purchased in 2012, it was mainly for highway runs. But then, I didn't feel that safe in it on highway speeds (which I never crossed 80kmph in it). So in 2016, Brezza came in as a primarily highway runner. It has run 95% on highways and just about 5% inside city.

Now coming to current situation, I feel safe in my Wagon R in city limits due to ABS/airbags but back of my mind says that I'm just consoling myself. It has not seen a highway run since last 3 years. When I go for its replacement, I will have to consider a small car - S-Presso and Tiago types rather than Swift/i20 etc due to city constraints. My choice will depend mainly on the need plus service available in my city. I can't buy GNCAP 5 star car and keep running off to nearby city for any service related issue. So Yes, I may use an unrated/ poorly rated car only for city runs.

I agree that everyone cannot keep 2 cars due to various reasons or for someone living in a city like Gurgaon where traffic speeds are on higher side and most of the people use the NH48 for some part of their commute, a safer car is a must. So if I think from perspective of Gurgaon, I'll prefer a well rated car even for normal city use. In that case, my answer would be No, I will not use an unrated or poorly rated car as a city driver.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

My car is a ten year old Alto. I can replace it with something from the same segment, or perhaps one segment higher. When I bought it new, there were no safety options. I think currently there are some safety options even in that segment. So I will pick one with some safety ratings, provided I like other parameters of the car. A very nice and durable engine, and very sound mechanicals are top priority. Then come creature comforts, cosmetics and safety features. I will not go anywhere near certain brands over a Japanese offering, whatever safety features they offer. And 1.5 star, 2 star safety ratings are a joke. They are as good as nothing. And on Indian roads, even the top most safety rated car will not save you if a dump truck or a bus hits you head on or you rear end it at full speed; or an suv from the opposite direction jumps the divider and crashes in to you at full speed.

From my perspective, if I don't own the Alto, I will have to use my bike. Which I do even now. Else I will go by Auto or a cab. What cab am I going to hire from Ola or Uber? Definitely not a Merc or BMW.

The way some people say that cars without safety ratings are death traps, should be taken off the roads etc is laughable. Then you have to ban all two wheelers and autos with immediate effect.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th March 2021 at 19:31.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:30   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Going for what might be the unpopular opinion here = I have voted yes, but purely for the city only.
You couldn't be more wrong eh? Turns out it is the popular opinion afterall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Because we cannot afford it.

3.6L (Alto) Vs 6L INR (Tiago) - that is a big gap, eventually Maruti itself has to fill it albeit with safer vehicles as market demands.
But this stat says the highest selling car is not that Alto, its a car which is costlier than even the Tiago. Infact the top two cars are costlier. And this trend is not just 1 or 2 months old. Swift twins have been highest sellers for quite a few months now.Link (February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

GNCAP: So, would you use an unrated / poorly rated car as a city driver only?-capture.jpg

I see a lot of examples stating Indian families graduating from bikes to Altos and I totally concur with the thought process. Alto is definitely safer than a splendor for family of 3-4. But if you look at the sales stats, top 3 highest selling cars are not those economy A segment cars like alto/kwid. The top sellers do have safer alternatives at similar cost. Why those are still not selected is a different topic but definitely cost is not the reason IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Used cars sell at an average ~3Lacs. This market is more than double the size of new car market - and that is the purchasing capacity of a car buyer - not Swift budget.
In used market I feel getting a safer car is even easier as depreciation of a TATA car is more than an Alto. Infact I have seen altos/zens go for insanely high prices compared to similar counterparts in used market. But people still prefer an alto because of reasons other than cost IMO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th March 2021 at 19:58.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Frankly, using this as a justification for flimsy cars need to stop. A motorcycle is there for a simple reason, mobility at a price. Show me a car that you can buy without gouging out 5 figured number from your wallet, then we can talk.

All those bikes that sell for good 5 figures now have ABS and some even traction control. These are absent in most basic model cars today, so lets get back to what we are discussing here.

The question here is totally different, if anyone can afford a car will you WILLINGLY buy or use a car that is not safe. Now that its cleared, lets get on with it.
Say, there's a humble family of 4 who need a car within the city, so that they can have some occasional weekend entertainment, pick/drop someone from the bus stand or railway station, be able to go to work during the rains, or have a backup in case of a medical emergency, so that they can take a family member to the hospital. This family can stretch their budget upto to a maximum of say 3.5 lakhs, and this too is a big stretch. BTW, this is a typical representation of a small lower middle class Indian family.

What would be your suggestion? That they not buy an 'unsafe' car at all?

Last edited by PearlJam : 30th March 2021 at 19:37.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:40   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Voted No.
I guess such an option works only if one has multiple cars in their garage. Nowadays with reduced car numbers in ownership, Most cars in the garage have to be ready for highway as well as city duty & hence a safer car. This from my situation, and could vary from person to person and city to city.
I would second this argument, as more and more people are moving to single car house holds due to Ola's\Uber's.

It would be good if the moderator's add a additional text to the Poll, "In a Multi Car household, would you use an unrated / poorly rated car as a city driver only?
Arun_S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:47   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Say, there's a humble family of 4 who need a car within the city, so that they can have some occasional weekend entertainment, pick/drop someone from the bus stand or railway station, be able to go to work during the rains, or have a backup in case of a medical emergency, so that they can take a family member to the hospital. This family can stretch their budget upto to a maximum of say 3.5 lakhs, and this too is a big stretch. BTW, this is a typical representation of a small lower middle class Indian family.

What would be your suggestion? That they not buy an 'unsafe' car at all?
My suggestion (or from any TBhpian) would be to buy a car through a pre-owned route.

In the scenario you mentioned, my logic dictates to buy a safe car more than ever. If something happens to them or to the car in a crash (non-fatal), you lose your ability to grow financially plus mental agony.
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:49   #115
BHPian

Yes.
Until two months ago when I started my search for a new car, I did not even think of safety ratings. With my style of driving, I believe a car that does not have a test rating or is rated low wouldn't matter in city driving. That said, when looking for a new car, I am putting safety as one of the high priorities.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:49   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
But this stat says the highest selling car is not that Alto, its a car which is costlier than even the Tiago. Infact the top two cars are costlier.
Used cars sell at an average ~3Lacs. This market is more than double the size of new car market - and that is the purchasing capacity of a car buyer - not Swift budget.

You are right in saying Swift is the highest selling car for a very long time, but it is in the smaller market in comparison. Average price of new cars is ~7Lacs. They avoid Tata for obvious reasons but that is not the point.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:57   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
My suggestion (or from any TBhpian) would be to buy a car through a pre-owned route.
The cheapest 'safe' car today is the Tata Tiago, as far as I know. That comes to atleast 6 lakhs on road for a new one, for the entry level variant. We also know that it's total sales across the vast country has been relatively insignificant, which means it's proportionally difficult to find a pre-owned one. We also know that none of the other more expensive safe cars have sold in big numbers. The repair bills alone could also cause ruin,especially since these cars are not known to be trouble free.

What now? Let's be practical.

Last edited by PearlJam : 30th March 2021 at 19:59.
PearlJam is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 20:10   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. How accurate the GNCAP ratings are?
2. How unbiased the ratings are?
3. What does the rating really mean to our style of driving?
GNCAP are accurate. They are based on a protocol thats global and accepted as a standard for evaluating cars sold in the respective nations. There are different levels to which the cars are evaluated thats based on the market. But they are accurate.

They are not biased. They dont have a preference. They simply evaluate cars and crash test them. Thats literally their only job. The test results are all available online, they are transparent and fairly self explanatory.

It doesnt mean anything to your style of driving. They are called PASSIVE SAFETY for a reason. They only denote how safe your car is AFTER a high speed accident. There is no substitute for safe driving. A safe driver is a defensive driver and allows for others mistakes NO MATTER WHAT. The GNCAP ratings should be taken as a guidance and not as a holy say.

My answer is based on the idea that the usage is strictly city and only city. Then yes. An enclosed 4 wheeler is safe. Which is what India needs today. And that IMO, is a step forward in the right direction towards safer mobility.

Last edited by VaidhiR : 30th March 2021 at 20:34.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 20:38   #119
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes, Since I drive a 2014 Thar Crde, it probably is one of the most unsafe vehicles to be in on road, but I drive it sparingly and always in a defensive mode.
Until recently, the only vehicle in our garage with Airbags was my W124!!!!
Recently picked up two pre owned/worshiped vehicles, one with 4 and another with 6 Airbags.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 21:06   #120
BANNED

Absolute yes, safety ratings are based on certain speeds which we rarely achieve in metros. In delhi one will need a car with best 0-20 kmph, light steering and Auto shift.

If you drive on highway once in 4-6 months better to hire a different big one each time and enjoy the variety. I don't see any logic of start stop driving a 2 ton vehicle every day, it's rather cumbersome.

Auto shift takes priority over Safety ratings in city drive ,small cvts like Baleno, Amaze are perfect no need for DSGs due heating issues. Even the Amts from hyundai like NIOS and Santro are ok since unlike maruti or Tata they have a electronic shifter. Thus they are much smoother.
Nissan Micra CVT was a dream city car , I miss it .

I will still like to drive , city or higway ,driving is a feeling I cherish in all circumstances , should be the right car and tune .

Upcoming E cars are a big boon for city commuters , we shall soon see appreciable price corrections.

Happy Motoring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks