Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Cele

Instances like this just cement in the idea of dashcam. I bought the Voifo A129 Duo for his Altis and although it may seem just like something that just stays there, is sort of no use but passively, that little thing is doing its job and can save you in such instances, especially on Indian roads where bigger vehicle is automatically at fault.

With my car coming in hopefully couple of months, I too intend to immediately install a dashcam (dual) and I keep checking our own dashcam thread all the time to see what people are using.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
He was saying it saved him from hell lot of mental stress and agony since the side which the truck ended up after the collision would've otherwise resulted in fingers pointing at his mistake and recklessness.
When a vehicle is hit the way the truck was, the Tie rod often snaps, and vehicle turns in that direction.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 13:24   #18
BHPian

Re: Dashcam footage from Samaritan's car gets truck driver compensation after crash with Maruti Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
With my car coming in hopefully couple of months, I too intend to immediately install a dashcam (dual) and I keep checking our own dashcam thread all the time to see what people are using.
I use the same Viofo A129 Dual dashcam with a CPL filter for the front camera. It has very good video quality, very discreet and of great build quality as well.

I'd say go for the same since you already know the device from your brother's car.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 13:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I use the same Viofo A129 Dual dashcam with a CPL filter for the front camera. It has very good video quality, very discreet and of great build quality as well.

I'd say go for the same since you already know the device from your brother's car.
I too like that the Voifo A129 is discreet due to its sloping shape. The only issue I have is they are almost double of 70mai and such brands and hence I am little hesitant.
The one in my brother's car is something I got from US when these weren't available in India.
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Glad nobody was fatally injured! And goodness for the dashcam. Saved the trucker a lot of hassle seems like! And like most pointed out, it is high time dashcams became a standard feature on cars.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:20   #21

Dashcams can become the single most important piece of evidence in many accidents.

Though it cannot be made mandatory, drivers should be encouraged to install them in their vehicles. It will definitely be useful for the drivers as well as law enforcement agencies.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The public who assembled started blaming the truck driver
Biggest problem in India, no matter which part of the country.

There's always the jobless crowd who will gawk at an accident and then start a kangaroo court in the middle of the street. They add no value whatsoever to society.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A dashcam in today's day and age is absolutely essential!!

Celerio driver must also thank the Truck driver that he had all his goods perfectly secured (a rare site in an open truck) otherwise some would've surely fallen on him, the way the truck turned due to the impact.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:26   #24
BHPian

For some reason I have always felt that previous generation Celerio was better built than the likes of Wagon R, Santro, Alto etc. It had been my regular office cab and I felt that it held up well despite of abuse by cab drivers against its rivals. An accident of one of my team members took place at 3 am in Celerio cab and he hails the car for having saved him despite of head on collision at high speed(air bags deployed). And this accident now reassures my feeling that this car is comparatively safer than other similar Maruti offerings.
Maverick Avi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

My two points here:

1. It is imperative that all car owners in India have a front and rear dashcam with capacitor type battery for continuous recording, no matter what car you drive.
We spend thousands and lakhs on sometimes unnecessary accesories like speakers, alloys etc., but forget to spend a few thousand on a good dash cam.

2. The accident clearly shows that the truck lost control and the car banged into it. However please note that it is also the drivers responsibility to drive at safe speed, so that in case of front vehicle breaking hard or otherwise, you should be able to stop your vehicle in time, even if you have to apply emergency brakes. We have the habit of sticking and driving in India especially in crowded cities, however this habit continues on highways and always proves to be dangerous.

Moral of the story:-
1. Invest in a good front and rear dashcam.

2. Driver at clear and safe distance especially on highways.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 3rd February 2022 at 18:45.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

Word of advice to dashcam users.

Always report the evidence to appropriate authorities as soon as practically possible. Deescalating the situation is important, of course, but 'I have evidence so back off!' doesn't always achieve that in a mob-like situation, or with a belligerent person up against you.

Secure the device/SD card, offer to get the cops involved, and if damages (human & property) are significant, get a lawyer involved before offering up evidence.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 21:18   #27
BHPian

About time Govt made dual-channel Dash-Cams compulsory for new cars, just like airbags & ABS.

So many accidents happen and witnesses who were around turn hostile. Good samaritans are extremely discouraged to help, largely fearing they'll be blamed/harassed illegally.

Each and every existing vehicle also needs to be incentivised to install a Dash-Cam.

Ex. GST waiver on Car Insurance (for 1st year) equivalent to 50% of the full price of Dash-Cam, comes to mind. Even though that'll be tough to regulate, once people see the utility of a Dash-Cam, vast majority will surely be convinced.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 22:02   #28
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

2. The accident clearly shows that the truck lost control and the car banged into it.
The car lost control and banged into the truck. It was explained in the OP's post.
avk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 01:23   #29
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Again a reason why every single car owner should seriously consider fixing a good front and rear dashcam in their cars. It's one of those things that'll really help in such situations when its your word against someone else.
The first thing that I did was installing the dash cam 70-mai A800 in the first week of my car purchase, I in-fact ordered and bought is way before my car delivery. It was the first thing that I wanted to put in car. Its mentioned here that the timestamp is not correct, hardwiring that will help, sometimes even the timestamp matters
Old 8th February 2022, 19:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I too like that the Voifo A129 is discreet due to its sloping shape. The only issue I have is they are almost double of 70mai and such brands and hence I am little hesitant.
The one in my brother's car is something I got from US when these weren't available in India.
What brand did you get from the US? Was it the Voifo A129? The 70mai brand is priced similarly in India and the US. I'm not sure if it's any good though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks