Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 14:11   #76
BHPian

Re: On the blinding headlights of new vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I have read about anti glare lens for our normal eye glasses we use in day to day life somewhere in this forum but can't find them.
Has anyone tried those? If so what is the effectiveness and is it worth investing in it?
I tried what Lawrence&Mayo/Zeiss calls "Drive Safe" lenses. There was a difference, but I wouldn't even say 5%. But coupling that 5% with a super-clean windshield certainly improved things a little more, perhaps another 5% or so.

Obviously, my 5% estimate is a crude attempt at quantifying subjective "feel", but I still wrote them here, just to give an idea.
KSTejaswi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 15:02   #77
BHPian

On a lighter note, one should install one-way mirror film on windshields. All the blinding LED lights will be reflected back, the opposite driver has to switch to a low beam or in the worst case switch off the headlight.
Old 9th February 2023, 15:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_fiat View Post
Is there a way to switch off the lights in new age bikes / scooty ?
No. Purchased Activa 6G last Diwali for my wife, and there is no way to switch off the headlight and the light itself is very bright led. When it was delivered, the headlight was not focusing on the road but it was focusing too high. In the first service, they adjusted the focus.
Old 10th February 2023, 14:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I have read about anti glare lens for our normal eye glasses we use in day to day life somewhere in this forum but can't find them.
Has anyone tried those? If so what is the effectiveness and is it worth investing in it?
You can get the details from this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...fe-review.html (Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review)
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 21:36   #80

Fully agree this is nightmare. Streetlight not being present/working makes it even worse.
Some people also constantly flick to high beam from behind as a sign to give way. This is also extremely disturbing.
I think the manufacturers should include a warning beep whenever high beam is on, similar to seatbelt warning.
And education during driving lessons.
Old 11th February 2023, 00:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat145 View Post
Some people also constantly flick to high beam from behind as a sign to give way. This is also extremely disturbing.
That type of drivers are also becoming an endangered species, the ones that use the dim/bright. Majority of them don't even touch that stalk. It's forever on bright

At this point of time, hoping for a driver to dip in itself is a dreamy situation. Unless regulated, this is not going to go away.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 01:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
This is the crux of the matter. Reason is the wavelength difference. And remember, the same intensity loss has to be suffered in the opposite direction, before hitting our eyes. Hence, to get a reasonable reach, LEDs need to be made tremendously bright at the source point, because their rate of "dying with distance" is super-high, obviously related to their shorter wavelengths (5500-6500K, I have even seen 7500K advertised with pride), compared to halogens which are always <4300K (4300K is whitest halogen one can find, even that too, is rarely available).

[i](of course, projector setup improves the 'reach' factor, applicable both to halogens and LEDs, but nevertheless, LEDs suffer a greater rate of death)
What a scientific explanation.

A consumer will hardly understand the benefits of yellow light - greater is the wavelength - lower is the energy - lesser is the scattering / defraction / refraction - greater is the reach - more soothing to the eyes - even at higher lumens.

That is the sole reason we have red tail lights & tall tower lights not violet / blue lights - they will work just opposite.

But that doesn't mean we should have red headlamps - we need visual acuity as well.
Human eyes are designed & evolved over the years to have maximum visual resolution in sunlight color light. Which ranges from 2500 K to 5000 K.

Red lights good only for marking a spot - not for illumination. Hence white yellow lights at light houses as well.

Coming from Kodiaq 2.0 TSI, with insanely bright 6000 K headlamps, I feel sorry for fellow roadmates, as its low beam too lands at the level of ORVMs & it's unadjustable. I often see them adjusting the mirrors just to get out of line of fire.

Last edited by SilverSmoke : 11th February 2023 at 01:20.
Old 12th February 2023, 09:53   #83
BHPian

My observations on this issue are

1. The headlights are focused to the skies from the factory. Even when a customer requests to adjust the alignment at the service centre, they focus the cut off at se height as the headlights. This causes the beams to again go up when the vehicle is loaded.
When the same customer requests alignment again, the response will be, that's the best that can be done. It's capacity is just that.

2. Most current generation riders/drivers do not know the basic driving etiquettes like dipping the headlights in traffic, adjusting the headlight level based on vehicle load, etc. Older drivers, that I have noticed, have atleast the courtesy to dip their headlights even though they may not be familiar with the headlight level adjustment.

High beams blind the oncoming traffic so much that the turn signals become invisible to the oncoming traffic. Also, the nuisance causes headaches at times and we are forces to tackle driving as a survival of the fittest instead of enjoying the same.

I think Team-bhp should include reviews with headlight throw and it's capacity to light up the road ahead. It's an important factor that everyone uses.
John P Daniel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 15:35   #84
mpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post

Also some manufacturers (Kia & MG Motors) are using these high CCT LEDs for the Fog Lights. As we all know, white light will not pass through dense fog which is a few feet above the road surface. These LED fog lights should be in Warm white (<3000K CCT) in colour.
So I recommended using LEDs of CCT less than or equal to 5000K in all LED headlights. I think anywhere between 3500K to 4500K CCT is good as it will come in the range of the halogen bulb. You have to increase the wattage or current or number of LEDs when using 3500K to 4500K CCT LEDs as these LEDs will provide lesser lumens when compared to 6500K LEDs because of the thicker phosphor material.
Perfectly said. I really can't understand how manufacturers are providing cool white as fog lamps. This is defeating the exact purpose of fog lamp! Like many rightly pointed out here, the yellow lights penetrate more in dense fog/mist, our eyes "see" better in yellow light. During fog/mist/rains it's a whiteout condition, with a yellow light or a warm white the 'contrast' is more enhanced. So with a white LED fog lamp one is actually endangering his and fellow occupants life while driving!

And those LED headlights/blazing DRLs arhhh me too feel like carrying a small air pistol and shooting at them! I have stopped riding my bicycle in early morning/ night due to them. Way too risky.
Like @venkyhere and one more rightly calculated, LED headlights are not that good at illuminating at a distance, resulting in higher lumen lights. Much to the despair of folks like us..

Really wish RTO starts checking them and implement fines.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th February 2023 at 15:37. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2023, 18:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp View Post
Perfectly said. I really can't understand how manufacturers are providing cool white as fog lamps. This is defeating the exact purpose of fog lamp! Like many rightly pointed out here, the yellow lights penetrate more in dense fog/mist, our eyes "see" better in yellow light.
Cinema lighting has moved onto LED, I think we are already there.

OEM LED lighting just like OEM halogens can be good or bad. Some OEMs meet the minimum required for the type approval and others actually want their cars to be used on the highways at night - so regardless of LED \ HID\ Halogen these results can vary a lot.

LED headlights and fog lights now are closer to daylight in terms of their color temperature, It will do just fine provided its made properly in the first place.

Some times the problem is idiot drivers who do not know how to use what light and when.
Old 13th February 2023, 18:22   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I maybe wrong but isn't one use of dipper/upper to inform of an overtake to the vehicle being overtaken?
Old 13th February 2023, 23:07   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Looking forward to hear views from fellow BHPians and if I am missing anything, happy to get en'light'ened
I guess this is where the markets are leaning towards laser headlamps. It won't be long before regular car brands commercialize these high tech kits. For now we can all drool at them.
Old 17th February 2023, 19:18   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Saint View Post
No. Purchased Activa 6G.............. When it was delivered, the headlight was not focusing on the road but it was focusing too high. In the first service, they adjusted the focus.
We have an activa too, and face the same issue, the 3 point screws for focusing kept at extreme possible end are also not enough to focus the light on the road. I bought longer screws and added a spacer behind the upper mounting of the light to focuss properly.

Quote:
Agree that the flicking is extremely disturbing, but that is a official sign to indicate to the driver ahead that you are overtaking.
Drivers need to be educated to not do that un necessarily in places where there is no place to overtake.
Quote:
I think the manufacturers should include a warning beep whenever high beam is on, similar to seatbelt warning.
Audio warning for high beam is extremely impractical. I often travel overnight on 2 lane highway stretches where you encounter maximum 20 to 30 or so vehicles in an hour, face many branches fallen due to trucks hitting them. On such stretches I follow the policy of using high beam until I see a vehicle approaching, and then flicking to low about the time I find that vehicles light irritating, or if oncoming driver flicks to low. On such stretches most vehicles especially trucks immediately dip their beams to low, and go back to high at crossing point.
While following a truck I keep to low, and have observed that the truck drivers also follow the same courtesy to each other.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 20:10   #89
BHPian

Great thread, thank you. How are we forgetting the EV's? With the growing number of EV's on the road (2 wheeler) it is only going to get worse. Esp Ola's. I own a S1 pro and it was one the first ones to be delivered in Pune, I remember cars flashing their high beams on me even when I was on my low beam, that's how irritating it is. Now that we see a large number of Ola's on road its only worse, incase if its a small road with no dividers I slow down and let them pass.
Old 20th February 2023, 13:47   #90
BHPian

Another reason to hate the super-bright LED headlamps :
I often encounter 2-wheelers and Autos in my neighbourhood who don't switch headlights on even after dusk.
On dark stretches of the road (even between 2 well lit sections of main roads), often times the white LED bright lights from oncoming vehicles completely obscures small vehicles with no headlights riding/driving or pedestrians who are crossing the road in the foreground. I realize their presence much later than usual.

Do others feel the same way as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks