Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 09:58   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On the blinding headlights of new vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

I use DriveSafe glasses but even that doesn't help (maybe they do but that isn't enough). I hope the automotive lighting moves on to some other eye friendly tech soon!

I was blinded by a car waiting at a median cut but with full high beams and fogs on. I was expecting it to be a XUV700 but it turned out to be a new XC90. Unsafely bright.
LED on high beam can cause discomfort to vehicles coming from the opposite side, in a situation like that even things like high beam assist won't work. Some drivers are used to driving with high beam and won't change even if the vehicle now has better lighting, not much we can do about it.

What we can do is this - clean the windshield meticulously, use a squeegee, tissues etc and make it crystal clear, inside and outside before driving in the night for long distances , the few minutes and elbow grease would help a lot. You need to do the same with the eye glasses too.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 10:21   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What we can do is this - clean the windshield meticulously, use a squeegee, tissues etc and make it crystal clear, inside and outside before driving in the night for long distances , the few minutes and elbow grease would help a lot. You need to do the same with the eye glasses too.
That's the very first thing I do everytime - clean the windshield, rear glass and the ORVMs. I have a separate microfiber for that use. In fact this time, I sprayed the windshield every couple of hours to get the best possible view.

My eyeglasses always remain clean and smudge-free. But I believe some of us might have a more sensitive eye and hence, the issue with me after taking all countermeasures.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th June 2023 at 10:34.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 11:20   #108

Re: On the blinding White LED lights of new vehicles

When the Government mandated all time on headlights, automakers saw an opportunity to save on a light kill switch, smaller gauge wiring, smaller batteries and lower capacity magnetos/ alternators and also got an opportunity to tom-tom about LED headlamps providing better visibility at night.

Unfortunately, there was no mandate or consideration for protecting the vision of oncoming drivers. There was no mandate on regulating the wavelength/colour of the light, which should mimic natural light. Automakers use brilliant white LEDs, which do not provide additional illumination but only create a blinding beam of light for all oncoming drivers.

LED light is polarised, and different angles of polarisation may actually cancel out the light from the vehicle and that from other LED sources like street lights or LED headlights of oncoming vehicles. Incandescent light sources like bulbs are non-polarised. Which do not cause so much glare and blinding as LED lamps.

This is my opinion. Knowledgeable people kindly shed some light on this possibility.

Illiterate/literate drivers alike, combined with insufficient illumination from LED headlamps, use high beams in the city, causing blinding and resulting in mishaps. White LED lights plus white LED street lights do not provide for added illumination.

I feel the Ministry of Transport needs to think and act quickly on guidelines for the wavelength of the LED headlights so that they provide constructive and positive illumination and safety for the driver and the oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Fellow BHPians,

This question has been puzzling me for long and always wanted to understand what others feel about the new craze in the town - blinding white headlights.

What was so wrong with the good old yellow vehicle lights that we had been driving with for decades?

Looking forward to hear views from fellow BHPians and if I am missing anything, happy to get en'light'ened

Last edited by navin : 29th August 2023 at 12:20. Reason: Spellings and Grammar
nfs250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 01:48   #109
BHPian

Need new FLOODLIGHTS for my car

Most of my night drives until now have been on 4 lane roads so I wasn't affected that much. The occasional drives in 2 lane roads during nights were tough due to high beams from vehicles but I still maintained my sanity. But last couple of drives have officially made me mad and have decided I can't take it anymore.

Attaching few pics from my last drive. It's like a ball of fire is approaching you and even at significant distance they are shining like a bright comet.Imagine if it looks like this on a dashcam then how severe it is on naked eye.I tried flashing lights but no use. Only one car dipped their lights. Majority of them were white led lights, even bikes were able to blind me. Not to mention the high beams from this neon-yellowish-golden light(last image) mostly from autos.I kept switching to low beams upon approaching any vehicle from behind or if there was any vehicle from opposite direction but the same courtesy wasn't returned.

I have decided enough is enough. I want to upgrade my headlights. I only want white LED one which can blind the opposite vehicle and force them to take measures.So much that they should stop me and ask me to turn it down.Like the ones on private buses. I don't care if LED lights are not as good as Halogens but I am doing this just out of spite and to return the favor. So any links for extreme high power LED headlights would be appreciated.

I saw somewhere in this forum but can't find it, there was a vehicle which had rear lights which that driver flashed brightly upon getting irritated.That link would be helpful too. Those rear ones are for folks who keep flashing endlessly to give way for them.
Attached Thumbnails
On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-screenshot_20240103011711.jpg  

On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-screenshot_20240103011928.jpg  

On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-screenshot_20240103011755.jpg  

On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-screenshot_20240103011740.jpg  

On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-screenshot_20240103011836.jpg  

Last edited by Revvatron : 3rd January 2024 at 01:56.
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 12:30   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post

Most of my night drives until now have been on 4 lane roads so I wasn't affected that much. The occasional drives in 2 lane roads during nights were tough due to high beams from vehicles but I still maintained my sanity. But last couple of drives have officially made me mad and have decided I can't take it anymore.

I have decided enough is enough. I want to upgrade my headlights. I only want white LED one which can blind the opposite vehicle and force them to take measures.So much that they should stop me and ask me to turn it down.Like the ones on private buses. I don't care if LED lights are not as good as Halogens but I am doing this just out of spite and to return the favor. So any links for extreme high power LED headlights would be appreciated.
Hi Revvatron,
I had to take 5 night trips from Chennai to Karaikal recently for the past few weeks. The NH roads are being upgraded from 1 lane to 2 lanes highway on each side. So there is heavy construction going on for about 120kms where there is lot of dust and debris.

Now I was in the same situation that you just described so accurately. Just reading your post I could understand the discomfort and anguish you have felt as I have been feeling the same lately. So much so that I want to strap these laser weapons being developed by US Navy to my car and burn the eye balls out of oncoming idiots with highbeams.

Requesting to dim works only for 10% of drivers ( mostly cabs and professional who understand the pain) and is in vain for others ( mostly Innovas and fortunes that dont even require high beam).

My delta ignis's stock headlamps are no match for these high power LED's and coupled with all the dust by constructing it's a nightmare. Me and my brother will just raise our hands and pretend to scold the oncoming cars with blinding highbeams on, as our cabin will be clearly visible to the .Thats why I'm planning to upgrade them. My sole requirement= Blind the idiots with highbeams , to the point they go blind and crash themselves into a tree or pole or whatever.

These LEDs are a vicious death spiral that will just pull more and more people into it...If you cant fight them , might as well join them. Fight fire with fire.
DhinaStark94 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:01   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
These LEDs are a vicious death spiral that will just pull more and more people into it...If you cant fight them , might as well join them. Fight fire with fire.
Haha, this is exactly how frustrated I was too. High beams can really spoil the mood of driving, causing strain to our eyes and making us fed up. I decided to switch to a 150w Maxxlink LED headlight. I initially tried a 200w one with 20,000lm, but it was too sharp and caused eye strain on day time itself. Only on high beam.

So, I opted for two 150w lights, totaling 300 watts . Now, I find myself practically bullying anyone who approaches with high beams. If I turn on my high beam, most oncoming vehicles quickly switch to low beam, and I reciprocate. For those few who remain stubborn, like some Fortuners, I use the pass light by blinking continuously, which usually prompts them to reduce their high beam.

If you're considering an upgrade, you could go for 200w, 6500K lumens, 20000LM which will basically makes them blind, i mean literally blind. Though now there are even 300w options available.

https://autosquads.in/products/Maxxl...HB3-p589130285

https://caraccessoriesstore.net/prod...k-300-Watt-Led
Attached Thumbnails
On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-150.jpg  

On the blinding headlights of new vehicles-200w.jpg  

raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Haha, this is exactly how frustrated I was too. High beams can really spoil the mood of driving, causing strain to our eyes and making us fed up. I decided to switch to a 150w Maxxlink LED headlight. I initially tried a 200w one with 20,000lm, but it was too sharp and caused eye strain on day time itself. Only on high beam.

Thank you for your suggestions , but I have 2 questions
1. The cost of the upgrade
2. Ive heard 6k Kelvins don't do well in rains and fogs. Just asking to know about its limits but Im tempted to buy them just for the sheer bullying power you have mentioned anyway.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th February 2024 at 20:35. Reason: quote content trimmed
Old 26th February 2024, 13:32   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Thank you for your suggestions , but I have 2 questions
1. The cost of the upgrade
2. Ive heard 6k Kelvins don't do well in rains and fogs. Just asking to know about its limits but Im tempted to buy them just for the sheer bullying power you have mentioned anyway.
I purchased it for 9k at Carspark. However, when I visited GP Road in Chennai recently, I heard that the price is around 7500/- for a 200-watt model. Prices can vary depending on the place where you're getting it fixed.

Luckily, I haven't encountered any issues with rain or fog. The headlight performs well in such conditions. The increased power seems to be advantageous, and I haven't faced any problems so far.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks