Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 20:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

If I had to choose, Id rather have airbags. In the types of situations where airbags get used, having them can make the difference between life and death.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:26   #17
BHPian

The simple fact is that air bags are far simpler mechanisms as compared to ABS. The older versions of Airbags used only simple sparking mechanism similar to ones present in our Gas Stove lighters. The air bag is also nothing but a bag filled with a gas of nitrogen mix which when ignited burns, producing expansion. The problem with those older implementations are similar to what we experience with gas lighters. They may not really ignite and so may not be very effective. Mordern air bags contains an sensor, actuator(microprocessor based) and an igniter. The actuator decides if the air bags needs to be actuated or not. The other side of airbags is to get the gas mixture right otherwise the air bag may not have expanded to the fullest when the driver head started moving forward.

By applying mass manufacturing techniques both these technologies can be made more affordable. Today the cost of ABS is around Rs.30-50k which can probably be brought down to 15-20k(TVS is planning it on bikes for 5-7k). I think it is time that the government mandated ABS atleast in costlier cars with big engines.

The fact that the air bags can be used only once makes it provide not so visible benefits to the user. As we all know it is quite difficult for asking user to pay for anything that he may not use at all. This is probably why ABS is more common in our cars as we can use it every day.
Old 5th April 2008, 10:52   #18
BANNED

Again ifs & buts..........

That car went under the bus at very high speed. How many cars survive that impact? There is a report in accident section about a Benz going under a bus report from Kerala. Airbags deployed but couldn't save lives.

In this case, as per the news report only 2 lost the lives. Again the body shell was intact and so the bodies were not crushed. We have read reports where the bodies had to be extricated from the car. But not on this case.

Along with Airbags & ABS it pays to have a well designed body shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
For instance, there was a recent accident in the Bangalore - Chennai highway where a NHC collided with a bus that suddenly came from the opposite direction - all occupants passed away. If there had been airbags atleast 2 may have been saved; ABS or no ABS.
Old 5th April 2008, 16:25   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its simple really : Would you rather have a device that helps you avoid an accident, or one that can save you after an accident?

I'd choose the former, though ideally....I'd rather have both!
Old 5th April 2008, 16:41   #20
BHPian

My preference goes to ABS. Obviously i prefer both as far as possible but if given the hard choice, id say ABS.
GTO put it perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would you rather have a device that helps you avoid an accident, or one that can save you after an accident?
Old 5th April 2008, 16:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Actually both are as useful as the other,sometimes ABS can help you avoid an accident,so the airbag is not needed at all,but again there are times when an accident is unavoidable or not in your control that time the Airbag will save your life.
Old 5th April 2008, 17:04   #22
BHPian

Could not edit my post (20 mins were up since posting) so am posting again.

My preference goes to ABS. Obviously i prefer both as far as possible but if given the hard choice, id say ABS.
GTO put it perfectly.
Quote:
Would you rather have a device that helps you avoid an accident, or one that can save you after an accident?
Main reason being ive had first hand experience of almost having an accident twice.
Thank god the accident was both times by near cms.

Back to the topic, in one, the car did not have ABS and i was doing 80, was in the righmost lane (empty road), when a couple of idiots in a parked zen suddenly started the car (left the accelerator as soon as i noticed them getting into the car), cut through the lanes and came straight into the right lane. Jammed the brakes, wheels locked, went skidding but turned the car to an angle and missed them by a hairs lenght (screeched to a halt) and luckily dint hit the divider on the right or i woud have gone airborne. (All this in like 10 secs)
With ABS, the car would have been much more in control as i was helpless after jamming the brakes. Lady luck thankfully saved me.

Second instance was similar but i was in an Innova with ABS. Same circumstances (empty road, rightmost lane but this road was on an incline and i was heading downhill), speed=80,(i prefer not going above that on city roads) at another location,
an old e220 parked, but this time it was more dangerous as the car wanted to take a U-turn so had i hit, i would have collided straight onto the drivers side at a right angle probably killing that idiot on the spot. Same reflexes (had left the accelerator as soon as i noticed the car with someone sitting inside), jammed brakes when he cut and thought to myself, this guy is dead and im going to be in deeeep S*%t, there is no way such a heavy car on a downhill is gonna stop. Thankfully, no screeching and was HAPPILY suprised such a heavy car came to a stop, that too on a downhill. Just a few cms from him. The idiot then happily makes the u-turn and gives me a look as if i was at fault. !@#$%^

Hence, id prefer ABS over Airbags. Had i banged at any one of those instances, airbags would have helped, but i think ABS would prevent it in the first place.
Old 5th April 2008, 23:39   #23
BHPian

BOTH. It is always advisable to have ABS and AIRBAGS in the specified order as safety equippment. So far as i have seen till date ABS is offerred as the first safety equippment and AIRBAGS and the second safety equippment. Hence even Skoda should follow the same rule or else offer both or atleast offer ABS as optional on all its vehicles. I wouldnt buy a vehicl with AIRBAGS and without ABS. It should be either both or ABS only and not the otherway round.
Old 6th April 2008, 13:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
To answer the thread question in the simplest manner : NO! Skoda has guts to overprice the Fabia in the first place, and then sell it without ABS as standard.
Very well put. Could not have summed up the gist of this thread better. I fully agree, first they overprice the car by a fair deal and then they sell it without ABS.
Old 6th April 2008, 23:07   #25
BHPian

A friend of mine owns a Skoda Octavia. It is equipped with Airbags but no ABS. He usually does 150+ on highways. When I asked him if he wears seatbelts, he innocently replied "No".

Making people aware of and the advantages of safety features are important, before implementing them. Our "aam junta" is not going to get cars with these features, as long as they are optional. The helmet for a two wheeler is a classic example. How many people do you find wearing helmets, strapped properly in states where the use of helmet is optional?

The only way to go is to make ABS, Airbags and seatbelts compulsory in all cars. Period.

Cheers,

RAjan
Old 6th April 2008, 23:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Both ABS and Airbags are invaluable.

Given a choice I would go for Airbags. However safely you drive on highways, the chance of an accident is there. Airbags is a life saver!!

If my vehicle have airbags, I would be more peaceful when I travel with family on Indian highways. It should be atleast optional in all the vehicles sold here.
Old 6th April 2008, 23:53   #27
BHPian

Between the Two - Not a simple choice

The factors are:

1) City Driving - Airbags preferred

2) Highway driving - ABS preferred

3) Monsoons - ABS preferred

4) With Kids - ABS preferred

5) With Girlfriend - Airbags preferred

Si if I want to marry my gf and buy a car for us and (the kids to come) to go to work and enjoy the weekends and love the monsoons for the nature drive, hell hath no fury and I am terribly confused.

Let have both. Its like asking whether you wanna have the brake or the HORN.

Cheers
Old 6th April 2008, 23:56   #28
BHPian

Both of these should be standard now, as opposed to being 'features' that are provided in top end versions. They are essential and car mnaufacturers should be responsible and provide it at least as an option on all models and buyers should be willing to pay extra for it. Choice is important here.
Old 7th April 2008, 06:50   #29
BHPian

As I have said time and again, India needs to have stricter safety regulations for even the cheapest cars offered in the market.

It's about time even the cheapest cars in the market came with airbags, 3 point ELR seat belts and proper crumple zones. I don't care if the auto companies make less profit per unit or they jack up the price, safety should be the primary concern in a country like India where you already have such a high accident rate and Emergency Response systems are still in their nascent stage.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:50   #30
BHPian

Strictly answering the question: YES

Airbags are anyday preffered over ABS for city driving. ALso while ABS does help in preventing accidents, so do 'normal' brakes. ABS is simply MORE braking' or controlled braking. It is nessecitated due to vehicles losing control under harsh braking, when not in straight line, wet conditions etc.

Airbags however are critical in any medium to highspeed crashes. irrespective of the conditions.

If a drunk guy smashes his car in a pole, there is nothing much an ABS can do, Yet Airbags could save his life. Similarly in case of tyre burst, steering malfunction etc an Airbag is anyday a better option than ABS.

ALso if someone smashes into your stationary/slow moving car which would be prefferable?

I wouldn't say its the way to go, but there is nothing wrong with the move. Infact its a smart one.

ELito

Last edited by Elito11 : 7th April 2008 at 09:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks