Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 04:14   #31

I drive back home late at night from work and have to put up with these idiots almost every day. I find this problem prevalent mostly among the city drivers than the highway drivers who usually respond when you signal them to go low-beam. In the city, this absolutely doesn't work.

It's not only annoying when the oncoming vehicles use high-beam but also the vehicles following you or at signals. Some of them switch to low-beam when I roll the window down and signal with my hand but some don't.

Once in the middle of heavy traffic here in Koramangala I had to put up with someone driving behind me a Swift with these aftermarket white headlamps in high-beam. I signalled him again and again and it just went over his head. Finally after 25mins of heavy traffic and high-beams in the rear view mirrors, once I entered HSR Layout, I pulled him over at BDA complex and got out of the car to demanded him what his necessity was to use high-beam and he had absolutely no answer but to say sorry and sheepishly chuckle. He’s in his early 30s and well groomed indicating that he is likely to be educated.

What does it take to make these senseless boneheads understand the basics of driving? I don’t think it’s the lack of knowledge that needs to be addressed but it’s the lack of sense of responsibility.

I sometimes feel strongly that I should once throw some light objects at these windscreens to cause enough mess to make them pull over but not cause any damage. All I could come up with was "tomatoes" and now that’s out of question with the current state of vegetable prices
Old 30th July 2009, 06:57   #32
BHPian

Say No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
We can go on and on ranting against the high-beam, but what is the solution guys?
To start, Every T BHP member reading this can put a sticker on their car rear bumper the title of this thread "Say NO to HIGH-BEAM"
Old 30th July 2009, 08:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
To start, Every T BHP member reading this can put a sticker on their car rear bumper the title of this thread "Say NO to HIGH-BEAM"
Good thought. I remember in Hyderabad there was this gentleman who was running this campaign called "FREE THE LEFT LANE". I was very impressed by his campaign and had seen stickers on cars. Don't know what happened to that of late. Might have lost all hope, the way the traffic behaves.

I think the knowledge must start at school. I truly believe the next generation of drivers needs to be educated of all the rules and road sense right from their schooling. Actually right from kindergarten right up to the completion of schooling. So at least the next generation of drivers are truly aware of all details of driving and other factors concerning road sense etc.

Last edited by ajitsank : 30th July 2009 at 08:52.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Apologies for my ignorance, what is this "free the left lane" all about? I am unable to guess the initiative.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Apologies for my ignorance, what is this "free the left lane" all about? I am unable to guess the initiative.
As we all say, it is all here in TEAM-Bhp;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hyderabad.html
Old 30th July 2009, 13:33   #36
BHPian

Thanks Ajit, I would better "search" the forum first for these kind of questions
Old 30th July 2009, 14:15   #37
BHPian

Some guys have tinted front windshields. They compensate for the tint with high powered lights and driving around in high beam.

:(
Old 30th July 2009, 15:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

high beams annoy me to no limits! It's extremely annoying and in chennai it seems to be a growing trend.

It has reached such a state that my dad reluctantly drives at night - it involves too much guess work.

ECR is a nightmare at night. High beams + million jaywalkers + adrenaline spruced teen motorbike racers + plenty of wine shops + suicidal buses breathing down your neck really kill the spirit of driving.

Hope some rule is enforced forcing drivers to only use half beam unless an emergency arises. One main reason people use full beam is inadequate street lighting - they feel confident using the full beam.

sigh.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Last week while driving towards Pune on the Mumbai - Pune Highway. I saw a Honda city having a sticker “NO to HIGH-BEAM” I liked it very much.

I think some road communities especially the cab & HCV drivers just don’t budge the headlights, it’s a real pain and can cause some serious accident.

Last edited by tj123 : 30th July 2009 at 17:22. Reason: Font Mistakes
Old 30th July 2009, 17:35   #40
BHPian

It will be good if we get technology soon to avoid these blinds with High beam.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

i really hate people running on high beams, specially dhinchuk cars with bluish lights

i never use high beam in city, even i use it on highways only if there is high divider on the road, or if i am driving late night and there is no traffic .....

it irritates me to no end, specially if someone is follwing you in high beam
Old 30th July 2009, 20:21   #42
BHPian

Oh! the people driving around with white lights, don't know high beam or low, are complete nuisance on the roads.
Old 1st August 2009, 00:50   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

You'll are complaining of High beams! In the last few days I have been noticing people driving with no headlights, at high speeds on Mumbai's arterial roads!
Old 1st August 2009, 00:57   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Oh! the people driving around with white lights, don't know high beam or low, are complete nuisance on the roads.
As per my observation now people (Idiots) are started putting the White light as Fog lamp too. Can you imagine in City Road road with all 4 light.

Another thing what i observed is the TATA ACE have very power full High Beam.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You'll are complaining of High beams! In the last few days I have been noticing people driving with no headlights, at high speeds on Mumbai's arterial roads!
This is especially true of the kala-pila taxi's in Mumbai. I've seen many of them exiting the sealink on the Bandra side driving without headlights. As I join this road to approach Kalanagar, its particularly irritating. I see these guys on the Eastern express highway as well doing the same thing. No prizes for guessing what my feelings are towards these chaps. They may be earning a hard living, but that does not excuse wanton irresponsible road manners.

Cheers,

Most Viewed