Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 18:52   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: The ABS discussion thread

I drive a Linea and Scorpio both with ABS.
But somehow there is a vast difference in ABS behaviour of these vehicles.
In linea,i have felt ABS kick in a number of times,even at times when i didnt expect it,(noticed by the pulsating pedal).
However in the scorpio,i always ended up sliding the vehicle\squealing tyres whenever i tried to brake hard to test the ABS,and i have never noticed any pulsating feel in its pedal,Scorpio owners,please confirm this behaviour.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:59   #392
BHPian

Hi Akshay, this is strange. I have experienced the very opposite of what you're saying. Speed up on an empty road and slam your breaks real hard as if someones life depended on it and if you don't feel the ABS kick in, trust me leave it at that. The service station will only make matters worse =p
Old 18th June 2012, 19:28   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hi Akshay, this is strange. I have experienced the very opposite of what you're saying. Speed up on an empty road and slam your breaks real hard as if someones life depended on it and if you don't feel the ABS kick in, trust me leave it at that. The service station will only make matters worse =p
in way a you are right..!!

But still...Hook up your ECU to see if it is throwing any errors.. if it does read ABS data!!

Some wheels have ABS sensor; they are the first to go due to neglect!!.. But do what i mentioned on top first..
Old 18th June 2012, 23:13   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no doubt that ABS is a crucial safety feature but there are conditions where having the option of turning it off is required and the safer thing to do.
Let the key to the feature be given only after a thorough course of instruction in the relevant physics, engineering and driving techniques.

Otherwise the decision will be made by various combinations of ego, misunderstanding and incorrect information.

Anyway, an emergency stop is an emergency stop. There is neither time not mental space to think about turning things on or off.

Off-roaders, and the vehicles, have different requirements to normal-road vehicles, and, perhaps more important, they are unlikely to get very far at all without the necessary skills.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th June 2012 at 23:15.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 03:04   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Let the key to the feature be given only after a thorough course of instruction in the relevant physics, engineering and driving techniques.

Otherwise the decision will be made by various combinations of ego, misunderstanding and incorrect information.
Completely agree with you on that one, overconfidence and complacency spell disaster in any walk of life.
Old 19th June 2012, 08:21   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I drive a Linea and Scorpio both with ABS.
But somehow there is a vast difference in ABS behaviour of these vehicles.
In linea,i have felt ABS kick in a number of times,even at times when i didnt expect it,(noticed by the pulsating pedal).
However in the scorpio,i always ended up sliding the vehicle\squealing tyres whenever i tried to brake hard to test the ABS,and i have never noticed any pulsating feel in its pedal,Scorpio owners,please confirm this behaviour.
Thats scary. I doubt if its working right! get it checked.

Quote:
This is where MM failed to; wrt to electronics
Old 19th June 2012, 10:44   #397
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let's get back to the topic guys. We have dedicated ABS threads where that discussion can continue.

Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 01:38   #398

Hello,
Not quite sure if this belongs here...but here goes.

My Xylo E9 makes a grating sound when I apply hard brakes...esp on rough roads. As per the service centre this is the ABS coming into action!!! They even made me drive an E8 which actually had the same noise. While pressing the brake pedal, I even feel a wobble/vibration on the brake pedal?

Is this actually normal as being brought out by the service centre?

regards

Jaideep
Old 20th June 2012, 10:55   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnjai View Post
Hello,
Not quite sure if this belongs here...but here goes.

My Xylo E9 makes a grating sound when I apply hard brakes...esp on rough roads. As per the service centre this is the ABS coming into action!!! They even made me drive an E8 which actually had the same noise. While pressing the brake pedal, I even feel a wobble/vibration on the brake pedal?

Is this actually normal as being brought out by the service centre?

regards

Jaideep
If the vehicle has ABS then this sound and pulsating of the brake pedal is normal.
Old 11th July 2012, 21:53   #400
BHPian

I gave my Ritz (Zxi) for servicing today and it included brake caliper pins greasing and rear drums cleaning. After this, I have a feeling that ABS is not engaging properly. Can tis brakea cleaning be the reason behind this?
Old 11th July 2012, 21:58   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
I gave my Ritz (Zxi) for servicing today and it included brake caliper pins greasing and rear drums cleaning. After this, I have a feeling that ABS is not engaging properly. Can tis brakea cleaning be the reason behind this?
More details.
What makes you feel it's not engaging properly?
Old 11th July 2012, 22:03   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
More details.
What makes you feel it's not engaging properly?
I was at 60 KMPH and needed to brake suddenly as the santro in front braked. The car took more distance to stop (compared to the usual) and the steering did not respond. I'm not able to express the helplessness I felt for few seconds when I was almost certain that I am going to hit the santro. I have done panic brakings many times, but this kind of thing never happened to my car before.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:18   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was at 60 KMPH and needed to brake suddenly as the santro in front braked. ... I have done panic brakings many times,
It's a side issue, but you must have been far too close. Panic braking should be a rarity in our driving lives. Pleas take this thought, without offense, from an old guy

Otherwise: you braked hard, the car skidded and you could not steer. You should get your car checked by a service center, and you should test it on a clear road (no great speed needed) to confirm that you feel the vibration in your foot on the pedal, because it sounds like ABS is not functioning.

Nobody should ever allow having ABS to affect their driving style. Always drive as if you don't have it, and just be glad if it helps you in an emergency.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th July 2012 at 22:19.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 23:37   #404
BHPian

Can anyone please tell me an exact way to know if ABS is functioning or not ?

Edit : I'm going on a tour this weekend, so I don't want to take any chance with ABS may or may not work :(
Old 12th July 2012, 01:04   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can anyone please tell me an exact way to know if ABS is functioning or not ?

Edit : I'm going on a tour this weekend, so I don't want to take any chance with ABS may or may not work :(
I would suggest you go by the advise in the post right above yours (#403). As he mentioned, its just to aid you in your panic situations. Dont boost your confidence by knowing it works and will let you be ignorant. Its just going to give you steerability if you react in time, not going to decrese your breaking distance drastically (certain surfaces).
Drive safe!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks