Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 13:05   #226
BHPian

Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
In an emergency situation, the only thing you should do is to slam the brakes as hard as possible and control your direction with the steering. This will come as a reflex action mind you. You won't even remember that there is a clutch pedal (assuming it to be a reflex action). I disagree on pressing the clutch part. I'd say forget the stalling part as your aim is to bring the car to a safe halt in the minimum distance and disengaging the clutch will not do any good to reduce the stopping distance, far from it. Loss of power steering is a non issue unless you are driving a truck. You will be able to turn the steering as usual with a bit more effort at most as long as the car is in motion. The only issue will be for vehicles equipped with hydraulic braking system.
yes, you are right that comes as refalx reaction but that deosn't make it right action too! that's the reason why you are given lessons about emergency braking(vollbremsung in deutsch) and sometime even examiner can ask you to perfrom the spectacle.

how many of us in india has tried (i am not saying used) the "emergency braking". you should try and you would be surpried to see that the reflax is not the correct way to do it. doing something in controlled, simulated fashion gives you time and senses to think about and feel it's subtleties. there are studies which shows that people tend to release the brake pedal as soon as they sense vibrations in pedal(to be honest it can be quite violent and unsettling if you are experencing it frist time). So, you need to train youself to get out of reflax.

lossing power to your car electronics isn't a good idea at anytime when you are inside your car. in modern cars we have ABS, EBD, ESP, power steering, braking system(uses a running engine), brake assist etc. all of them working on several sensors used to read your engine, gas padel, brake, clutch, wheel rotation etc. to help you in saving your life in case of emergency and also help you to have better ride.

and, no offence, but i didn't get your truck logic with steering, aren't truck drivers driving their trucks for long time and most of them are without power steering. so, if they can use it, so can i.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:03   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Emergency!

Stand on the break!

optional but ideal...

before you stall press the clutch down.

What is so tough about that?

power steering, ABS and so on and so forth is irrelevant.

Quote:
i didn't get your truck logic with steering
Unless you are driving a vehicle that heavy, at speeds above about 5kph, you won't even notice the lack of power-assisted steering. All it really does is to enable us to steer the wheels when the car is almost stationary, without much effort. Or (and I'm sure we all do this even though we know we shouldn't) when the car is actually stationary, which may make some manoeuvres easier, but wears out our tires! It gets my vote as the most useless, unnecessary, money-wasting feature on a small car, yet we all expect it on every car.

(slightly offtopic )

Quote:
For diesel cars (perhaps not petrols) at least once you are at stall speed, engine will do the opposite of braking - it'll try to mave the car forward. This is thanks to the huge torque generated. I have seen this happen in 3rd gear on my car - speed becomes stubborn and deceleration is lost once rpm goes below 1000, unless I press clutch.
Yes, that's true, so perhaps my 'ideal' has to be adjusted for diesels. Anyway, we still hope to have stopped before we've had time to think through this stuff.

From some googling and checking out British driving-school advice, as one of you guys said, an emergency stop often means we already made the mistake of not spotting the danger earlier. Well, that's in UK, maybe. Here, I usually find hitting the brake is because a two-wheeler or two-leger has ignored the existence of my car.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th July 2011 at 14:18.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:21   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Emergency!

Stand on the break!

optional but ideal...

before you stall press the clutch down.

What is so tough about that?

power steering, ABS and so on and so forth is irrelevant.

Unless you are driving a vehicle that heavy, at speeds above about 5kph, you won't even notice the lack of power-assisted steering. All it really does is to enable us to steer the wheels when the car is almost stationary, without much effort. Or (and I'm sure we all do this even though we know we shouldn't) when the car is actually stationary, which may make some manoeuvres easier, but wears out our tires! It gets my vote as the most useless, unnecessary, money-wasting feature on a small car, yet we all expect it on every car.

(slightly offtopic )
no, nothing tough about it. only other method is much eaiser with no need to find the 'before stalling' point. and i don't see any disadvantage only advantages.

power steering, ABS etc..are not relevant! hmm..i have given clear reasons why they are relevant.
And power steering is also (at least EPS, and i am optimistic about hydrolic too) life saving and necessary device becasue your car won't change it's course by itself e.g. after hiting something on road surface or because of imperfections on road surface. so, i don't think it's unnecessary or useless.

Last edited by Suess : 13th July 2011 at 14:44.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:25   #229
BHPian

Quote:
From some googling and checking out British driving-school advice, as one of you guys said, an emergency stop often means we already made the mistake of not spotting the danger earlier. Well, that's in UK, maybe. Here, I usually find hitting the brake is because a two-wheeler or two-leger has ignored the existence of my car.

~
ya, so true. i use to drive when conditions allow only at 30kmph or less whenever my Highway is crossing/passing through a village/town and even then i have to be careful about people esp. kids and burka clad women jumping infornt of the car. i don't know what pleasure kids get out of it. they are like doing dares if they can cross the road before...i don't know what!

Last edited by Suess : 13th July 2011 at 14:28.
Old 13th July 2011, 20:57   #230
Senior - BHPian

@ Suess
w.r.t. truck logic with steering, Thad has mentioned very clearly what I meant. The power assist keeps decreasing proportionate to increase in vehicle speed. Power steering is most useful at parking speed. At highway speeds you won't even notice the difference in a vehicle without power assisted steering.

In an ideal situation, you would press the clutch just when the engine is about to stall. This is true both in case of petrol and diesel vehicles. In an emergency situation, you just won't have the time to think about the clutch. Every split second counts. You stand on the brake pedal and control the direction using the steering. You can wash off speed much more quickly if you are able to take a zig zag direction rather than hold the steering in the straight forward direction.

Two reasons for this.
1. When you move similar to a zig zag direction, it takes more distance to reach the same spot than when the steering is in a straight forward direction. This buys you much needed time before impact and could possibly mean the difference between life and death.

2. Turning the steering helps in washing off speed much more quicker than when the steering is in a straight forward direction.

Last edited by longhorn : 13th July 2011 at 21:06.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 22:19   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never tried that sort of thing (or, at least, not on purpose) but I'd expect to be in an uncontrollable spin if I did. There are those who know how to do this kind of stuff with their cars: for the rest of us, stopping in a straight line or trying to steer around the object (ABS just might make this possible) is the best advice.
Old 13th July 2011, 23:04   #232
BHPian

Quote:
I've never tried that sort of thing (or, at least, not on purpose) but I'd expect to be in an uncontrollable spin if I did. There are those who know how to do this kind of stuff with their cars: for the rest of us, stopping in a straight line or trying to steer around the object (ABS just might make this possible) is the best advice.
Fully agree. I won't suggest zig-zagging or any other unpracticed manoeuvre. Leave that to seasoned rally drivers..within their roll cage safety. You could jeopardize others on the road with you."above stunt performed by professionals. Do not try to attempt it.";-)

Last edited by Suess : 13th July 2011 at 23:12.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:44   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Fully agree. I won't suggest zig-zagging or any other unpracticed manoeuvre. Leave that to seasoned rally drivers..within their roll cage safety. You could jeopardize others on the road with you."above stunt performed by professionals. Do not try to attempt it.";-)
I should have made myself clearer. You should not try sudden directional changes when you are at a high speed. Once you slow down to around 30 kph, just make a manovuere as if there is an object (imagine a drum) immediately in front of you and you are going to go around it. A left / right directional change on the steering wheel will wash off speed much more quickly than when it is in a straight forward position.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I should have made myself clearer. You should not try sudden directional changes when you are at a high speed. Once you slow down to around 30 kph, just make a manovuere as if there is an object (imagine a drum) immediately in front of you and you are going to go around it. A left / right directional change on the steering wheel will wash off speed much more quickly than when it is in a straight forward position.

It will also confuse anybody in front as to what your intentions are - making evasive maneuvers impossible for them to do.

practice this with extreme caution or else don't do it.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:01   #235
BHPian

Excellent thread going here! A point I would like to add is that it is totally unacceptable to drive with the high beam on. It is becoming such a common practice in Mumbai with almost every fourth car doing it. It dazzles the car in front as well as oncoming traffic. The result is that while you can see the car clearly, the other car cannot see your dimensions (how wide your car is) and may crash into your ORVM's.
I fail to understand why as soon as the signal turns green everyone starts blowing their horn for no reason whatsoever. Blowing the horn continuously does not get you more space or does not move the traffic any faster. Instead, it irritates cars in front of you.

The attitude of many Mumbaikars while driving is astonishing. Once I was driving in the right direction on a one way and a car comes in the opposite direction. I put down my window and told that guy that he is going against the rules and driving in the wrong direction and he told me "So, who are you to tell me that?" Simply unbelievable!
Old 15th July 2011, 23:41   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I fail to understand why as soon as the signal turns green everyone starts blowing their horn for no reason whatsoever. Blowing the horn continuously does not get you more space or does not move the traffic any faster.
In Mumbai, they wait for the signal to turn Green before they do this? Wow

In Chennai they do it while it is still red. On signals with a countdown display, it rises to a crescendo of impatient frustration if people are still not moving at five seconds before the green.

Actually, as an ex-London-driver, I get impatient with people who are not ready to move off on the green signal!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th July 2011 at 23:43.
Old 16th July 2011, 00:35   #237
BHPian

Quote:
In Mumbai, they wait for the signal to turn Green before they do this? Wow

In Chennai they do it while it is still red. On signals with a countdown display, it rises to a crescendo of impatient frustration if people are still not moving at five seconds before the green.

Actually, as an ex-London-driver, I get impatient with people who are not ready to move off on the green signal!
Haha yes they do actually wait till it turns green. And then there are the usual auto rickshaws that do not start which adds to the commotion!
Interesting to note about the countdown displays, most places yet dont have them in Mumbai. And certain places that do, they are not functioning!
Old 29th December 2011, 15:20   #238

Re: Right of way at a zebra crossing

Quote:
( I can bet that 9 people out of 10 would get this wrong !)

Rule:
Contrary to popular belief, pedestrians have the right of way, as soon as they start crossing the road. The driver of a motor vehicle, approaching a zebra crossing should stop his vehicle at the crossing if a pedestrian is crossing, or waiting to cross. This rule applies where there is no traffic signal to help pedestrians cross the road.

Mistake:
Hey I'm doing 50 kmph. It's easier for him to stop in his tracks and wait for eternity than for me to slam the brakes. Why should I stop for him?
It is so true; however I would add a word of caution here - do have a look at your rear view mirror and ensure that there is no vehicle tailing you before you stop on your tracks. If there is, give enough indication to the vehicle behind that you are stopping. Otherwise, you risk being rammed from behind.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:06   #239
Senior - BHPian

Car basics for beginners

This topic is directed towards the newbies in driving and/or cars. When one is learning to drive a car, the whole gadgetry can get confusing and overwhelming at times. For an experienced driving person, the questions might seem simple but for a new learner, it can be a matter of life!

I'll start with few questions and answers, and readers can contribute their own set. We can have a solid FAQ for any new driver!

Q. Car is parked in Sun for long, and AC doesn't chill the interiors enough. Is there something wrong with the AC?

A. No. Please follow following steps in order to use the AC effectively.
1. Roll down the rear windows,
2. Switch on the car and turn up ONLY the blower/fan to full for like a minute.
3. Roll Up the windows and switch on the AC.

Now that hot air in the car is out, AC can work properly.

(Thanks to neofromcapone & swiftnfurious for their inputs).

Q. I can't shift to third gear properly. From second it is getting slotted into fifth.

A. This is because you are manually taking the gear knob to its position. Till you get a proper feel of gear position, you can use this method. When the vehicle is in second gear, push the clutch all the way in and tap the gear knob forwards. This will put the knob in neutral and central position. Now again tap it forward. Voila! Vehicle is in third gear.

Note: Above suggestion is valid only for 1-2-3-4-5-R cars, i.e. with gearing pattern:

1 - 3 - 5
2 - 4 - R

If you have a 6 gear or different patterned gear box, use the information accordingly.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:22   #240
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car basics for beginners

Q: Damn, I locked my car door with car running, and now I am away from spare key to get in! What do I do? The car is still running!

A. First, to turn off the engine, block the silencer by either some stone or even hanky. This will kill the engine, and now the car is no more gulping fuel.

Now hunt for the second key Next time, prepare a spare key and keep it in the wallet. It won't start the car, but at least it will open the door.

(Taken from some posts here on team-bhp)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks