Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 15:14   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

All of these things can be called hazards. Even reversing could possibly be called a hazard. Taking a straight at junctions, though, is certainly not.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:11   #272
BHPian

As a pretty new driver ( I have around 3 months road exp with a car , but over 12 years on a bike so i think i can "think" like fellow motorists. These are the difficulties i faced along with a few solutions to common issues new drivers will always face.

1. Learning/Adapting to the new environment:

Being in an enclosed space now, one has to compensate and also think about the extra areas one needs to cover. In India, all production cars are RHD and therefore, you will have to compensate for your car's left-hand side. Before you even turn on the engine, always learn to do a "sweep" of the mirrors. This has to be done from the nearest to the farthest as in right rvm->IRVM->left rvm. practice doing this every 15 seconds and also, don't ever take your eyes off the road!

2.Getting used to a petrol or a diesel vehicle:

From my experience, i found diesel vehicles more easy to get accustomed to due to their inherently high torque which makes city driving a breeze. This essentially translates to a little relaxed clutch/gear co-ordination. In petrols, you have to know when the gear/clutch/engine engage together to make the car move. Once the car moves, slowly release the clutch and press down on the Accelerator pedal. I got used to starting the vehicle and moving a few paces first and then, stop for a while and think about your "actions". This helped me in understanding what i was doing and how the car responded to me. As a new driver, it is imperative you understand the vehicle you are driving.

3.Braking:

As important as getting to know to move your car, it is important on understanding how to get it to a halt. Braking is one of the most important things in driving. Here is one of the common mistake every learner will make. Inadvertently, we will always push the clutch when we brake. This is an absolute no-no. Braking should be done when in gear only. This helps the brakes since the vehicle's transmission is now engaged with the engine and it enables the vehicle to slow down faster. If you push the clutch while you brake, the vehicle will free-wheel and it will give you high BP till you get the vehicle to stop. Result: High BP, worn brake pads. Remember to brake while in gear, slow down and then change your gear to the suitable speed.

Confusions regarding ABS: (Anti Lock Braking System)

This is going to be fairly basic since i assume everyone knows what ABS is. One thing people assume is that ABS reduces stopping distance to a great level. No, it doesn't give you great gains in braking power. ABS prevents your wheels from locking up in an event of a sudden braking. This prevents your vehicle from sliding and gives you one of the three essentials of driving: Control; the other two being Vision/Auditory perception and anticipation. ABS will help you steer your car to safety while slowing down. A big plus, isn't it?

Steering inputs:

When driving in old cars, many will recollect how much effort was required to turn non-power steering vehicles. In the newer age, we have power steering which helps the driver to steer the vehicle with a minimal steering input. So for a novice driver, once you get on the road, only steer when required and learn to drive nearer to the left hand side of the road. Learn how to deal with obstacles. On bumps,craters, slow down only once you have done a "sweep" of your mirrors. This will help you get a mental picture of your surroundings and help you think in what to do next. Steer only when required.

How do i change lanes/ take a turn? :

This is a tricky part for a novice. I am sure many will be accustomed to the incessant honking by the fellow drivers on the road( for one, i think their horns are hooked to their Accelerator and Brake pedals). Never pay heed to it as a begineer since it'll only make you nervous. When you want to change lanes or turn, never make sudden movements since the other drivers will not be expecting any sudden changes. The procedure what i do is this: First, honk once and turn on your indicator. Now begin looking at your IRVM and then look at your side mirror. This side mirror is the side to which you are turning. If you want to turn right, look at the right orvm. If it is left, then it is the left orvm. If you see anyone speeding towards you, give way. Slowly change your lane or take your turn, and then remember to turn off your indicator if you have switched the lane.

Putting all of this together:

Always, during the first few months of driving, drive slow and get a feel of the vehicle. Remember that the mirror is your best friend and the clutch is your worst enemy. The clutch should only be used to change your gears and it is not a footrest. If you feel you fumble with your foot if you rest it somewhere else, keep it on the clutch but do not rest it on it. Press it only when required. Next thing is, do not lug the engine. Once the vehicle shudders or you get a low frequency vibration, it is time to go a gear lower. Remember that once you go a gear lower, the car will be settling in a different rpm and therefore the vehicle will slow down. Compensate by pressing the accelerator a little once you have shifted. This will prevent motorists behind you from banging you.

Also, remember this mantra: "Start early, drive slow, reach safe"

Hope this is useful for fellow drivers.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 22nd May 2013 at 11:14.
Arch-Angel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:24   #273
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody guide me to where I can find the rule statement, disallowing slippers/chappals/flip-flops for driving? Browsing through this thread, I couldn't find any link to the rule.

Last edited by thoma : 22nd May 2013 at 11:26.
Old 7th April 2014, 19:40   #274
BHPian

I was having an argument with my friend about overtaking from the left lane vs distance b/w vehicles in highways

Very often we find cars and especially trucks going at very slow speeds on the right lane. They don't go usually go left to accomodate faster traffic.
My argument was that whilst switching lanes to the left, we must keep a good distance behind the vehicle and overtake.
My friend said we must go very close to the vehicle and honk or dip persistently to make your presence felt and only overtake from the left if I had to. The problem I had with this is the going close part - even a small intensity sudden braking means me crashing into the vehicle.

Who's right?
Old 7th April 2014, 19:55   #275
BHPian

Getting too close to a moving vehicle is always wrong. The distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front should always be more than the minimum distance it would take for your vehicle to come to a halt at that speed.
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 19:57   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
I was having an argument with my friend about overtaking from the left lane vs distance b/w vehicles in highways

Very often we find cars and especially trucks going at very slow speeds on the right lane. They don't go usually go left to accomodate faster traffic.
My argument was that whilst switching lanes to the left, we must keep a good distance behind the vehicle and overtake.
My friend said we must go very close to the vehicle and honk or dip persistently to make your presence felt and only overtake from the left if I had to. The problem I had with this is the going close part - even a small intensity sudden braking means me crashing into the vehicle.

Who's right?
I'd NEVER recommend tailgating another vehicle to make your presence felt, whatever the speed. Actually, sneaking up close may put you in the lead vehicle's blind spot and make you momentarily 'invisible'. Not something you'd want to risk, esp. at highway speeds.

Best to maintain a safe distance, honk and flash (not wildly) to get the lead driver's attention before overtaking and if he refuses to budge, then overtake very carefully - with as wide a berth as possible - from the 'wrong' (left side) only as a last resort. If possible, always make sure the lead driver has noticed you - truckers will usually indicate when they've noticed you and wave you through - if you're trying to overtake through a tight spot (e.g. an undivided highway).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2014 at 20:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 20:12   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'd NEVER recommend tailgating another vehicle to make your presence felt, whatever the speed. Actually, sneaking up close may actually put you in the lead vehicle's blind spot and make you momentarily 'invisible'. Not something you'd want to risk, esp. at highway speeds.

Best to maintain a safe distance, honk and flash (not wildly) to get the lead driver's attention before overtaking and if he refuses to budge, then overtake very carefully - with as wide a berth as possible - from the 'wrong' (left side) only as a last resort. If possible, always make sure the lead driver has noticed you - truckers will usually indicate when they've noticed you and wave you through - if you're trying to overtake through a tight spot (e.g. an undivided highway).
Exactly! The best way to make your presence felt is by staying at a distance and becoming visible in the mirrors of the vehicle in front.

Another thing that also works at night is brief and short honks along with flashing your beams to let them become aware that you are in a car (remember that a car's horn doesn't sound like a pressure horn of another truck or a Bus).

And like Chetan mentions, I too have noticed that trucker (mostly and only long haul types) are the one's who would care for your life and indicate with hand signals whether its safe to overtake or not. Assess if the truck ahead belongs to this category (takes less than 3 seconds if one has clocked good number of Kms on various highways in India), wait for his hand to pop out and then overtake based on what he has to say.

If overtaking from left (on a highway with a median), you flash your lights indicating your intent to overtake and wait for 2 seconds to see if the truck moves slowly to the left lane - Again remember that with the load on these trucks, their progress of switching lanes is always slower and you need to have patience. If they move abruptly - Ensure you become softer on the A Pedal and get ready to see another truck right ahead of him too!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 20:26   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
Who's right?
Both of you have valid points. But as other members have pointed out, tail gating should never be practised.

On a well divided 6/4 lane highway, there will arise situations where you're compelled to overtake thru the left. I always shift to the left lane well in advance, and flash my lights n honk. Try to look at the driver's face in his LHS mirror. Honk enough to make him turn n look into the mirror. Once he does that, I guess its reasonably safe to overtake. Maybe not be a feasible option at night though!
Old 1st August 2014, 21:28   #279
BHPian

Responsible driving

So how does anybody know you are a BHPian? The sticker? Maybe. But how many of us have them. Only a handful. About time we let the world know. With this thread, my endeavor is to make a call to all 80k plus BHPians to take a pledge to be a responsible driver/rider and let others on the roads feel...this must be a BHPian!

Being responsible starts with small little things which most of us are already practicing. For instance, wearing seat belts or helmets where the authorities are stringent. Following the rule where it is not mandatory, that makes BHPian etiquette. We all know how risky the use of a cellphone is while driving. Or alcohol. Must we not keep that in mind at all times?

Lets start with things we must have in order even before we get on the road. Working electricals, transparency of the glasses conforming to law, proper fonts on the registration plates, amongst others.

Consideration for the other person on the road should be our motto. If we randomly inspect vehicles, we will find that in more than 90% cases, the headlamp toggle would be in the high beam position. Not only is it against the law to be using the high beam within the city limits, it is highly strenuous for the oncoming traffic and quite an irritant for the traffic in front.
Use of high decibel horns is illegal. OE fitment is good enough for most of our needs. And should we not try to start a revolution towards horn-free motoring in the country?
Overtaking. We cannot really avoid doing it from the left in many cases. But we can atleast ensure that the person being overtaken is not caught unawares.
Turn indications, lane driving, watching you speed, maintaining distance, anticipating others' actions - all contribute towards responsible road manners.

There are BHPians everywhere, and every bit matters. Let us put in our bit.
Shwetank is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 02:44   #280
BHPian

Re: Responsible driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Overtaking. We cannot really avoid doing it from the left in many cases. But we can atleast ensure that the person being overtaken is not caught unawares.
Turn indications, lane driving, watching you speed, maintaining distance, anticipating others' actions - all contribute towards responsible road manners.

There are BHPians everywhere, and every bit matters. Let us put in our bit.
Well said Shwetank.
All of us agree to the points you have raised above. I am sure MOST of us follow MOST of the traffic rules and some follow all the rules MOST of the times. No offense to those who follow rules all the time.

As per my own personal experience, I admit I have become a RESPONSIBLE DRIVER only after I got myself addicted to TEAM BHP Website.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd August 2014 at 20:09. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:53   #281
BHPian

Thanks Shwetank for this post which reminds us about the nessity of responsible driving. To the list of donts,I will add"Smoking" while driving. Read it here today on BHP about the horrible eye injury suffered by a pedestrian,when a lighted cigarette was thrown out of car.
Imagine the agony.
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:49   #282
BHPian

One more addition to the do not list: Do not use mobile phone when you are driving, enjoy your drive instead and it is safer too.

Drive safe!

-
SS
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:42   #283
Senior - BHPian

A intelligent initiative! We as members of this respected and reputed community have been doing our bit to improve the driving and traffic scenario around us by driving within speed limits and following other traffic norms like seat belts and non-usage of mobiles. However, by implementing this initiative in our regular driving pattern we can surely stand out from the herds of inconsiderate drivers we come across daily.

Secondly, often there are instances of cars with tbhp stickers being driven in a bad way and causing problems for the traffic, (issue highlighted in tbhp spotting thread) so this issue can be addressed as well to a great extent by keeping in mind a responsible attitude towards fellow motorists and actually adhere to tbhp stickers tag-line i.e

We "LIVE TO DRIVE" patiently and shall remain calm. Also, proudly say "I DRIVE SAFE" when asked by an impatient motorist. With our patient and sensible driving skills on the roads we can make fellow motorists feel proud of us and show them how it's "DRIVEN BY TEAM BHP".

Lastly, We love cars so while driving we shall be more alert for it's safety. A small request to bhpians who have drivers, please tell them not to use mobiles while driving and not to eat tobacco while driving.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 14:55   #284
BHPian

Long drives are always the heartbeat of any TBHpian. The wind in your face and the exhilaration that your machine provides you is way so different than that of a city drive. But with all things, a little planning can make all the difference. Most of this is my experience and I know most of this is already stuff you’ll know as well, but when you read it once more it will click.

Exteriors:
1. Know the blind spots of your car. Incase you are exchanging wheels, familiarize yourself with the car before the journey and also ensure all original papers are with you at the time of the journey.
2. Check for loose fittings, suspension noises and get them fixed before your journey. The last thing you want is a pit stop ( for any reason)
3. Always drive with both your mirrors open, do not attempt to drive without them. They can seriously warn you of blind spots. If possible, use a convex strip attached to your mirrors. I cannot emphazise this point enough. Even during the recent trip to Palakkad, I saw countless folks driving with their mirrors shut at 120-140kmph. Please do not be a statistic.

Tyres:
1. Ensure that the tyres are inflated to the manufacturer’s specs. Under inflation reduces fuel economy, makes the engine struggle and your tyres become possible candidates for a puncture. I have experienced this on my bike.
2. Keep safety equipment ready. Ensure the spare tyre is also inflated correctly.
3. Rotate the tyres so that all of them get to wear out evenly a few days before you start the drive.
4. Take a break every 2 hours. It not only relaxes all of you, but also gives a breather to your tyres and the engine.

Suspension:
1. This is by far one area not many people take into account. We dutifully top up coolant, fuel etc etc, but leave this aspect.
2. Days prior to the trip, take the car out, listen to the suspension. Watch out for any creaky noises, undercarriage sounds.
3. Check the joints, drive shafts, linkages and correct issues even if they are minor. You are not going to be driving at 40 or 50kmph, or driving in city. The load factor on a car is more as it has to tackle winds, additional load of baggage’s, fuel etc.

Brakes:
1. Ensure you have the correct level of fluid. Keep a can of brake and oil separately. Check the pads before the drive. Ensure the lines are cleaned and flushed regularly.
2. Also check for the correct tyre pressure, they have an adverse effect on braking. Use engine braking sensibly. That one move increases your brake pad’s life.

Electricals:
1. Ensure the most important items are thoroughly checked, they are: headlamps, parking lamps, tail lights, flashers and indicators, horn and the hazard lamps.
2. It’s a good idea not to mess with the system’s electricals such that they fail at an unfortunate time.
3. Ensure that you headlamps give you adequate cover during nights and also when cornering.
4. Do not drive in high beam all the time. The factory fitted lamp housing is made to accept only a certain temperature. Most of the cars that have a relay fixed to increase brightness will soon have their headlamp glass and the inside reflector coating changed due to the increase in temperature. Secondly, it’s just dazzling and blinding light to the oncoming vehicle which could either stun the driver and momentarily confuse the hell out of him – which is not good for both of you.

Interiors:
1. Take adequate water if you are travelling during summer. Keep tissues, and a first aid box handy. Also have a fire extinguisher handy, you’ll never know when you need that assistance.
2. Ensure all doors lock and unlock properly, seatbelts are fine, and have your visibility in your rear view mirror unobstructed. Normally things pile up at the rear seat and can hamper visibility, you don’t want this to occur when you are cruising at 80-100kmph
3. Ensure you have toll change in your hand before you reach the toll and not to look out for change at the plaza. Respect other drivers and families. They may need that extra minute or second.
4. If hunger pangs strike, pull over, finish your meal, clean up and then continue when you are fit. Incase you need a nap, please take it and continue. Even 10 minutes of solid, undisturbed sleep will recharge you.
5. It’s always better to have you driving pod and it’s immediate space (the dashboard, the area around the clock display on the dash, and surrounding areas) clean, such that nothing interferes with your vision and decision making abilities. Remove anything that can hamper with this function.
6. Ensure all passengers are seat-belted for their safety.
7. Rotate the drive with a co-passenger if you have one. This enables you to rest as well on long drives.
8. Do not overload the car. Ensure there is proper weight distribution when you pack your things into the car. This has a direct impact on the tyres.
9. Start early enough, depending on local traffic conditions. Plan reverse, and if possible avoid night driving. This way you can reach your destination safe and sound and with time to spare.
10. While planning, also take into account a lot of things can go awry – so have buffer time as well.

The Drive:
1. Plan your itenary correctly, so that breakfast, lunches are all on time (incase you have folks who need them at the right time)
2. Start slowly, give way to folks when asked for. We may never know their need. Be courteous always.
3. Drive at an optimum speed , with gear changes at the appropriate RPMs. I, as a rule change gears for every 10 km increase in speed. So by 50kmph I am at the top gear and continue like that.
4. The ECU learns how you drive, so if you are aggressive the ECU will give you that edge, at the cost of fuel economy (cuz it assumes you will be flooring it the next second). I have seen this on the Getz. Drive with a light foot at a constant speed. This increases mileage and helps the ECU rationalize fuel supply.
5. More over driving at a constant speed also ensures that other folks who are in front or behind you know and can gauge your trajectory – meaning they won’t be suddenly surprised. Imagine if there’s a surprise at 90kmph.
6. Overtake with caution, use your indicators wisely and always!!!, I can’t stress this enough. I have seen folks do this without any respect or concern for the traffic around them. Honk when it’s necessary and when you are in doubt.
7. Overtake only when you have the proper way and do it fast. Please do not hesitate in the path. Give proper intimation to the folks of the car you wish to overtake, do the job quickly and continue. For all you know, the car in front would want to also overtake a slower car that was up in front and they would have just let you do it before them.
8. Never overtake on a curve unless you have a way to find out there’s nothing else on the approach path. The section between Ulundurpet and Salem has a lot of 4 way stretches becoming 2 way – without warning.
9. Do not take risks. Taking a risk at speeds over 90kmph is taming death or an accident.
10. Do not drive rashly. This not only makes you a statistic but also instigates other drivers to do so.
11. Should you need to drive in the night (before 12 PM), ensure you drive with low beam. I have seen 100% of all cars with high beams and clocking more than 140 kmph during my drive to Palakkad last month. Please do not follow the crowd. We are members of Team BHP and we have to live up to that name.
12. Respect the car you drive. Do not try stunts or over exert the engine. There’s always a power band in which the maximum power can be extracted for every car without straining the engine or the mechanicals. Also remember, as you inch towards triple digit speeds on smaller cars, your reserve power diminishes. This will also pose a problem if you are competing with fast cars on either lane. Always have reserve power –incase you need to make that jump.
13. Above all this, remember anything can happen anytime. To cite an incident, I was traveling at 100kmph to Vellore, on the return as I switched on the AC, I only got hot air – all through. When I reached Chennai, I found out there was no gas. It all leaked out. Since I was doing 100 kmph, minute stones that get kicked up as turbulence hit against the condenser and punctured it.
14. If the weather is nice and not sunny, refrain from using the AC. That will add to your mileage, give your extra power when you need it.
15. ABS – ABS is a helpful tool, it is not a catalyst to let you drive faster and still give you 100% confident braking. It’s only a technology that adjusts your braking force among all 4 wheels in such a way that they never lock up. Once they lock up, you’ve lost grip. That’s the only thing that keeps your vehicle on the road.

So long, happy driving folks….

Trumpet!
trumpet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:19   #285
BHPian

Adding 2 simple tips from my side-

1. Carry a pair of scissors. I have heard that the seatbelts if worn, gets jammed to hug the passenger tightly on impact. God forbid any accidents while driving; but in case of a collision, I think a pair of scissors will be handy to cut open the jammed seat belt.

2. For those who love tender coconuts during their drive, I suggest to keep a couple of straws in your car. Avoid using the ones from the coconut vendor which are dirty inside the straw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks