Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 13:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucknow-New Delhi via Kanpur or Bareilly?

Can anyone tell me whether it'll be better to travel via Kanpur-Agra to Delhi from Lucknow or via Bareilly?Because of the month of SAWAN,i've been told that the Bareilly Delhi route is closed from Saturday to Monday.Visit to Bareilly is required.Are their any alternative routes from Bareilly to Delhi?Please help.
Old 15th July 2011, 13:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

I once did the Kanpur-Delhi route via NH2 all along it was decent run and if you are lucky you can make it within 5 hours. Kanpur-Lucknow should be straight forward. What say?
Old 15th July 2011, 13:59   #3
BANNED

Re: Help reqd.Lucknow-NewDelhi via Kanpur or Bareilly?

Lucknow-Delhi via Kanpur adds about 80-90km. The road from Kanpur to Delhi is excellent, the only trouble spot is Agra which may take 30-45 minutes to cross. Also, once you cross Palwal forget any ideas about going fast. Sn1p3r must have driven late at night or early in the morning.

As for Lucknow-Kanpur it is a lottery - may be <2 hours or may be >3 hours. The area from Jajmau (Ganges Bridge) till Rama Devi is still work in progress.

As for Lucknow_Bareilly-Delhi I have done part of the stretch (Miranpur Katra-Bareilly last year). It is really bad - potholes, narrow road, and crossing Bareilly makes the Agra bit appear like the proverbial cheeks of a major actress. I will take the NH25-NH2 approach.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir, we had a meeting early morning and started from Gurgaon at 4am reached at 8.30am and were already presenting at 9am. Car used last gen honda city vtec. Return trip was marred by agitation enroute by farmers near etawah thus we lost considerable time read 3 hours before police was able to clear the highway.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

LKO-DEL via Kanpur adds around 90 km (as sgiitk mentioned), but via Bareilly adds 2-3 hours to driving time due to road condition and traffic. Take your pick!
Old 15th July 2011, 14:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Even I would go with NH2 as @SG mentioned.

Regarding Agra:
Long back it was easy crossing Agra from Rambagh/Waterworks to Bhagwan Theater
(commonly referred as Bhagwan) to Sikandra and beyond. Now in spite of a fly-over at Bhagwan, its pretty messy.
Waterworks area always remains crowded with all the private buses heading to Aligarh stopping there.

Another issue is that there is no by-pass for NH2 entry and exit.
But there is something for NH2 to NH3.

Hopefully the expressway project to a certain extent should alleviate this.
But when; only time will tell!

Is there a plan to interface NH2 to the expressway at major towns?

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2011 at 14:29.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:40   #7
BANNED

@ampere; remember the GQ is a Dual Carriageway and not a motorway. So any hopes of getting proper bypasses as just a hope. I am sure as soon as a bypass is announced or work starts there will be eateries, puncture repair shops, housing colonies, shops all along it.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I drive mostly through the night. Through some of my 15 odd drives on this stretch, I can say that going via Bareilly is impossible. I often end up beating LKO mail on a door-to-door time taken basis

It does not add too much distance for a Gurgaon person to go via KNP (about 20km and much more real time saving).

Of course, if your intent is to visit bareilly then there's no option for you.

And prof saab, every single time I have gone that side - I've never taken more than 1.5 hours from Gomti Nagar (home) to the intersection with NH2. Again early mornings or very late nights for me.

Considering that NR has just extended trains to haridwar for kanwars for next 15 days, I would say avoid this trip till Mid Aug. Coming back on NH24 = lethal during kanwar time. I've seen stupid pandals and roadblocks all over that route. Just not worth it - not to mention the hassles from driving alongside them. Forget it.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Please read this before you plan any travel

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...hooligans.html (Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!)
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 21:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help reqd. Lucknow-New Delhi via Kanpur or Bareilly?

The holy river Ganges flows through Kanpur also,how bad is the situation regarding the kanwars there?Should i travel during weekdays?I have been advised an alternative route from Bareilly via Badaun-Bulandshahar.Will that be ok?Otherwise I might have to reconsider my Bareilly visit. :(
Old 15th July 2011, 21:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

via Kanpur of course. Kanpur onwards the road is like heaven.....
Old 16th July 2011, 19:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I have been advised an alternative route from Bareilly via Badaun-Bulandshahar.Will that be ok?Otherwise I might have to reconsider my Bareilly visit. :(

Its really a bad stretch. Not worth it. Till Narora-Babrala (where you cross Ganga) its the same route from Badaun. Road is pretty bad. From Narora there are two options
(One via Dibai-Shikarpur) and the other one via Anupshahr. Both sections are pathetic.

The Anupshahr route was supposed to be the better one. But since the focus has shifted to the road via Shikarpur (as thats the NH) I dont know what improvements have happened in recent past.

@sgiitk, at least I hope they will provide some connection from NH2 to the expressway at the towns, which can used as by-passes.

Last edited by ampere : 16th July 2011 at 19:16.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lucknow-New Delhi via Kanpur or Bareilly?

Considering the situation right now,i am left with 2 options,either i postpone the plan to travel right now or i skip Bareilly and take the Kanpur route.Still have few days before i start.Basically,Bareilly is out of my route map as of now.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I drive mostly through the night. Through some of my 15 odd drives on this stretch, I can say that going via Bareilly is impossible. I often end up beating LKO mail on a door-to-door time taken basis

It does not add too much distance for a Gurgaon person to go via KNP (about 20km and much more real time saving).

Of course, if your intent is to visit bareilly then there's no option for you.

And prof saab, every single time I have gone that side - I've never taken more than 1.5 hours from Gomti Nagar (home) to the intersection with NH2. Again early mornings or very late nights for me.

Considering that NR has just extended trains to haridwar for kanwars for next 15 days, I would say avoid this trip till Mid Aug. Coming back on NH24 = lethal during kanwar time. I've seen stupid pandals and roadblocks all over that route. Just not worth it - not to mention the hassles from driving alongside them. Forget it.
Same here prof saab. I have done NH2 route (Gurgaon -Ald - Kol) & (Gur - Ald) multiple times via kanpur and only at night. Its a breeze through. No heavy traffic, the trucks stick to their lanes, no farm animals or villagers crossing. You can easily do triple digit speeds. And roads are one of the best i have been on.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Re: Lucknow-New Delhi via Kanpur or Bareilly?

What is this 'Kanwar' business. I was also planning to visit Bareilly this weekend via Delhi but I was adviced to postpone due to Kanwar.

I have heard that Delhi Moradabad stretch is good and 4 lane but Moradabad onwards is 2 lane not so good. I am told it takes 6 hrs usually but due to Kanwar additional 2 hrs may be required.

Now i am planning to go on 6th August. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks