Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 13:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!

Its that time of the year again when Delhi is held under seige by the Kavariya's. I have absolutely no problem with anyone's beliefs or religion but when you see them holding traffic for no reason, 3 of them perched on bike zig zagging dangerously across the roads without helmets or best 50 of them stuffed at the back of a truck and shouting across the city, you really begin to wonder what exactly is this all about?

A few days back one of the kavar's was hit by a Zen Estillo near madipur close to delhi by pass which resulted in some of the holy water spilling on the road but what happened next was truly dreadful!

The Kavar's went on a rampage and the poor guy was mercilessly beaten black and blue and his Zen Estillo was overtuned and reduced to a pile of metal junk. The worse bit is when they damaged another car which was passing by and half a dozen DTC buses!!!!

What is the justification for all this voilence? Do we turn a blind eye to everything that has an element of religion into it? Are they even religious, because no matter what the religion, it teaches us to be humane, patient and resilient?

To me they are just a bunch of lunatics protected by politicans of this country for whom everything is a vote bank which they dont want to loose leaving the common man on the street to suffer their wrath!

I want to apologise in advance if I have inadvertently hurt anyone's sentiment but after reading and seeing what happens every year I could stop myself writing all this.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st July 2009 at 14:06.
extreme_torque is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 14:03   #2
BHPian

I totally agree with you Extreme_Torque, what you have said is true. I am happy that finally it got over yesterday, atleast for this year. NH24 and N58 were in real chaos and guys who are in Indirapuram were taking more than 1 hour to come to Noida, the 3 Kms distance which is normally covered in 15 mins.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

This sunday it Ring road was full of jams because these hooligans were in convoys and waving Lathis at all passerby.
They also did rioting in west Delhi and damaged buses and cars, the incident ET has listed.
The best part is the statement by police that they will register a case against the car driver!

If I park my car in an illegal parking spot for 2 minutes the police does no hesitate in charging 100rs or 400rs for 1kmph above speed limit, yet these people are allowed to block roads for days, and break all traffic rules without a fine!
Old 21st July 2009, 14:13   #4
BHPian

We are today hostage to hooligans in the form of Kavar, politicians etc. Two biggest pitfalls of the Indian system of governance is Democracy and the second is Secularism and of course not to forget our great politicians!

The above ensures that anyone can do anything and get away with that scot free! Can we ever imagine a group like KAVAR's creating chaos and getting away with it in any other Asian Country barring India, Pakistan and Bangladesh ?

India requires a dictator and not dictatorial democracy to define public propriety and deal with hooliganism with an Iron hand!

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 21st July 2009 at 14:18.
sandeep.mishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 14:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Over the weekend, I was driving around in ORANGE T-shirt.

On a serious note, I totally agree with E_T.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

What is this sect? Never seen or heard of them before!
Old 21st July 2009, 14:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What is this sect? Never seen or heard of them before!
This is no sect - they are the folks who travel to ganga and bring water back to their village/temple.
It's no mean feat - these guys travel these distances barefooted (off late they have been using trucks and bikes also). Also the container in which they carry water is not to be placed on ground throughout their journey...
Old 21st July 2009, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
This is no sect - they are the folks who travel to ganga and bring water back to their village/temple.
It's no mean feat - these guys travel these distances barefooted (off late they have been using trucks and bikes also). Also the container in which they carry water is not to be placed on ground throughout their journey...
they dont go just for holy ganga water, but for other bad stuff too which is very cheap out there and nobody is going to frisk them while coming back.

And thats why most of the Kavaria's are unemployed/uneducated and worthless s*** of our society.

thats why despite acting responsible, they take advantage of situation and trouble others.
simply_sunny001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 15:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
And thats why most of the Kavaria's are unemployed/uneducated and worthless s*** of our society.
Very harsh mate! I think we need to be a little considerate towards our fellow beings
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 15:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sighting a Kavariya was rare till probably a decade back , Suddenly some one published in newspaper and honoured a few who were doing this fiat and then contribution money from public poured in , it created a wave of jobless uneducated youth to fullfill thier adrinalin rush and get few days of fame in local community by becoming a Kavaria.

I am truly amazed at the scale now , It is similar to organizing jagran / bhandara , I got to know from an insider in my home town that organizing a jagran leaves profit margin of around 1 lakh in good "season"

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st July 2009 at 15:40.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Violence under any pretext is totally uncalled for and unacceptable. Each and every one who is creating such a racket should be caught/thrashed/jailed by the police. I hear Delhi police are merciless in handling traffic offenders (They beat them black and blue :-).) such a kind of violence calls for much stringent punishment.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Kanwars just hold the whole city hostage.

The biggest rowdies are the DAK KANWARS - relay race if you may.
Imagine 20 rowdies on a truck, with a few guys actually running relay with the holy water (typically 1-2L), and 1-2 bikes for support.

Reduced the expressway to a crawl on Sunday
Old 21st July 2009, 16:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

I hate them. Period
Due to them the weekend was spoiled by tons of jams all over NCR.
I agree with Extreme.
Thankfully its over!
Old 21st July 2009, 16:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

We have similar procession(called Palkhi) by Varkaris every year in Pune. But the dates are fixed so even if traffic is a bit more people make adjustments accordingly & there is rarely any unruly incident that occurs.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 16:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

How ridiculous it is that in the name of 'religion' you can get away with almost anything in this country when the religion itself is the antithesis of whats being done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks