Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 16:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Sighting a Kavariya was rare till probably a decade back.
That is why I wondered. I have visited Delhi quite a few times during my student days. My last visit was in the early eighties when I lived there for 7 months from June to December. Never heard of this phenomenon then.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
they dont go just for holy ganga water, but for other bad stuff too which is very cheap out there and nobody is going to frisk them while coming back.
There are many vices - which one are you talking about? I didn't know about this aspect of the kavadias!!!

BTW - my FIL & MIL missed their train from Delhi coz of the jams caused by them... they left at 7:00 from Noida to station to catch train scheduled for departure at 8:45, and at 8:30 they were still somewhere near Akshardham

Last edited by sonirohit : 21st July 2009 at 16:51.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:48   #18
BHPian

I am happy that it's over now, you would have actually faced the brunt if you lived in east delhi and specially near border.... These guys had left side of the GT road dedicatedly blocked for them over the weekend till monday morning.

The bikers and the tempo's were driving like they had got a legal permission of going over anyone/anything that comes in their way and helping them were their friends on bikes with Hockey sticks and Basball bat's. If somebody ask them, why do they require a baseball bat and hockey stick for this yatra..??
Old 21st July 2009, 16:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
There are many vices - which one are you talking about? I didn't know about this aspect of the kavadias!!!
He is pointing towards "Shiv ji ka prasad"
Old 21st July 2009, 18:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
1) We are today hostage to hooligans in the form of Kavar, politicians etc. Two biggest pitfalls of the Indian system of governance is Democracy and the second is Secularism and of course not to forget our great politicians!

2) Can we ever imagine a group like KAVAR's creating chaos and getting away with it in any other Asian Country barring India, Pakistan and Bangladesh ?

3) India requires a dictator and not dictatorial democracy to define public propriety and deal with hooliganism with an Iron hand!
Thankfully, TBHP is very informative. I never knew about this sect. I mean bringing in river water religion. Its heights.

1) Perfectly said. Add to that Police. We need to get rid of
a) Democracy
b) Secularism
We need to be communist now.
World's biggest democracy and now this.

2) If we take out Africa, where else in the world can this be done ? We are setting a seriously wrong example for democracy as we are the largest democracy in the world and one of the more respected countries in the world. The world will eventually come to know our standards.

3) Who is the main question. Again the same old saga of corruption, etc. The most basic requirement is that the citizens become self disciplined, and in general the thinking is improved.

Well, again I repeat " Roads Indicate culture of the nation ".
Old 21st July 2009, 18:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

I came and settled in Delhi sometime in 1970. Till about 10-12 years back the Kanwarias were sort of non-existent. Slowly the trickle turned into a downpour and now it is an un-manageable mess. Huge tents with dazzling lights, blaring music etc., pop-up on busy roads for these foot-soldiers.

They are not at all religious. Last year I had to encounter drunk Dak-Kanwarias on the NH8 carrying hockey sticks, rods etc. Now, why do they need these in the first place? Is that anything religious? No, not at all.

The God for which they are doing this known as 'Bholenath' and these Kanwarias are the "Roudraroop" of Lord Shiva.

WHile the Govt., bans traffic on the Delhi-haridwar road for these couple of days to facilitate the Kanwaria convoy, why can't they regulate their journey within the cities so that the common man is not troubles/harrassed?
Old 21st July 2009, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
WHile the Govt., bans traffic on the Delhi-haridwar road for these couple of days to facilitate the Kanwaria convoy, why can't they regulate their journey within the cities so that the common man is not troubles/harrassed?
Since when did the Indian goverment started thinking about the common man on the road.... its all appeasement for votes. We dont figure in their scheme of things.
At time I think we as a majority should start acting like a minority (vote wise) so that our demands are met and since we are a majority, in the larger scheme of things, the thing will eventually improve. Food for though?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st July 2009 at 22:29. Reason: sorry can't allow comments like "schedule casts etc.," so I have taken the liberty to edit your post
Old 21st July 2009, 19:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Very harsh mate! I think we need to be a little considerate towards our fellow beings
they cannot be at least my fellow beings.and this is what i feel honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
I cannot discuss that here on T-BHP considering the respect for policies and not discussing bad things here.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st July 2009 at 19:17. Reason: fixed quote
Old 21st July 2009, 19:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
We have similar procession(called Palkhi) by Varkaris every year in Pune. But the dates are fixed so even if traffic is a bit more people make adjustments accordingly & there is rarely any unruly incident that occurs.
Varkaris are not hated as much by common man. No one really minds traffic jam that is created since it is known in advance and most importantly, as you said, Varkaris don't act as hooligans.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

yep thats what I was trying to say, that if Varkaris can carry out their Annual journey peacefully why cant others?
Old 21st July 2009, 19:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
yep thats what I was trying to say, that if Varkaris can carry out their Annual journey peacefully why cant others?
you have to come to delhi to see it... its complete anarchy.... truck full of people weilding hockey sticks, even swords, shouting and driving in the middle of the road at the speed of 10 kmph, with a traffic procession at the back! sucks!
Old 21st July 2009, 19:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the Govt., bans traffic on the Delhi-haridwar road for these couple of days to facilitate the Kanwaria convoy...
Not really for a couple of days, but for a full week! The NH58 remained off-limits to all vehicular traffic this year from 15th to 20th July, and to heavy vehicles (trucks) from 13th to 21st July. All establishments including my college (situated on this road) compulsorily remain closed on the district magistrate's orders. Even today, the road was jammed severely, and it took me over 3-1/2 hours and a diversion into village roads to get back, where the usual driving time is about 1h.45min.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
you have to come to delhi to see it... its complete anarchy....
It's not just in Delhi - the most frightening aspect of the kanwariyas' behaviour during the yatra takes place along the NH58.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell me about it, I was born & grew up in meerut and have seen Kanwarias for more than 20 years now. Several of my friends even used to go to Haridwar for this -- but in those days it was not such a big affair and only those seriously inclined used to go.

However, i remember roorkee road being rendered useless even back then.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came and settled in Delhi sometime in 1970. Till about 10-12 years back the Kanwarias were sort of non-existent. Slowly the trickle turned into a downpour and now it is an un-manageable mess. Huge tents with dazzling lights, blaring music etc., pop-up on busy roads for these foot-soldiers.
You stole the writing from my hands, a decade back noone knew them in Delhi and NCR, but its followers are growing like anything.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:29   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You stole the writing from my hands, a decade back noone knew them in Delhi and NCR, but its followers are growing like anything.
Wouldnt any moron like to enjoy a period where they are able to create all the mess they want, do all the atrocities they want, and still get away with it? Maybe they get a high from it all.

Religion in our country these days is just an excuse for some to make money, and others to create havoc.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks