Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 14:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Belgaum-Amboli route is the same as taking a right turn from under the bridge and going straight on the circle instead of going on the service road parallel to the highway right? (i.e I should take "Bauxite Road" and join State Highway 20 somewhere later i.e., Sawantwadi Road?) Kindly clarify. Thanks!
Absolutely correct. You need to take the very first marked exit for Belgaum and then take a right under the flyover. After emerging from under the flyover, dont take a left (that goes into Belgaum town) but go straight which is nothing but Bauxite Road. At the end of Bauxite Road you will come to a T junction with SH-20, take a right and you are on your way to Amboli-Sawantwadi. By taking Bauxite Road, you will avoid all traffic jams and traffic signals of Belgaum town.

Hope this helps.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 14:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmraj View Post
i am planning to travel from Pune to South Goa with the below travel plan. Need advise from the forum.
1. Pune to Belgaum (Overnite halt in Belgaum).
2. Start at early morning in Belgaum to South Goa via Khanapur,Ammod, Molem - Please advise on road conditions and generally prevailing trafiic conditions
3. Is there any good eateries on the way from Belgaum to South Goa for good break fast.

I would advice you to avoid Belgaum-Khanapur-Ammod-Ponda route. I did this route 5 days ago and its not in good shape. There is heavy traffic because of mining trucks and you could easily waste more than an hour if you get caught in that traffic.

Better you stay at Kolhapur and take Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route. Its bit longer than Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli route but Its in perfect condition. You can have breakfast at Kamat's in Amboli.

Just for your information, you can stay at Sai International 30 kms before the Kolhapur. Tariff is 1750 for double bed.

Last edited by abhijitvp : 29th February 2012 at 14:55. Reason: typos
Old 29th February 2012, 18:48   #33

@kmmraj, As suggested by abhijitvp use the Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route. You should be able to make the journey in one day and Pune - Goa does not warrant an overnight stay, unless you have any other plans.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Absolutely correct. You need to take the very first marked exit for Belgaum and then take a right under the flyover. After emerging from under the flyover, dont take a left (that goes into Belgaum town) but go straight which is nothing but Bauxite Road. At the end of Bauxite Road you will come to a T junction with SH-20, take a right and you are on your way to Amboli-Sawantwadi. By taking Bauxite Road, you will avoid all traffic jams and traffic signals of Belgaum town.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much suniladhiya. Wanted to know how much more time will this take while heading to Goa compared to taking Sankeshwar-Gadhinlaj-Amboli when coming from Mumbai via NH4?
Old 1st March 2012, 17:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Thank you so much suniladhiya. Wanted to know how much more time will this take while heading to Goa compared to taking Sankeshwar-Gadhinlaj-Amboli when coming from Mumbai via NH4?
It would add an hour or slightly more to your total journey time vis-a-vis the Amboli-Sankeshwar route.I would reccomend that you take the Sankeshwar route,the roads are good.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:56   #36
BHPian

Did the Belgaum-Khanapur-Ammod-Ponda route Yesterday. Being Sunday (I guess), there was no traffic of mining trucks. BUT - the bigger issue was the road. At least 30 Km of horrible terrible roads between Khanapur and Mollem. It was really pathetic with potholes so big that you had to stop the car to zero and get the car down to the pothole. It doesnt give you any time / distance advantage even though we had to go South Goa. I would never recommend anyone taking that road. The road does not seem to be paved for years. South Goa to Mollem was ok
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:01   #37

I plan to go from Belgaum to Panaji (Miramar to be exact). Please advise on the best route.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul_31 View Post
I plan to go from Belgaum to Panaji (Miramar to be exact). Please advise on the best route.
Via Amboli - Sawantwadi will be the best to go to Panaji-Miramar.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:53   #39
BHPian

Atul, I agree fully with Canpush - Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda- Mapusa-Panaji is the only road of choice for you. On no account try the NH4A via Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panaji which is always in a pathetic state as you will see from other posts on this and other threads.

The only variation you may like to try is take the Danoli-Banda route immediately after the end of the Amboli Ghat, however if you are not accustomed to this stretch, its much better to stick to the Sawantwadi route and endure the approximately 5 kms bad stretch around the MH-GOA border.

Have a safe trip.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul_31 View Post
The route via Londa/Anmod is full of potholes. Its not worth taking.
Go via Amboli/Sawantwadi.
Old 15th October 2013, 03:12   #41
BHPian

Quick questions?

Many years back we have biked (6 guys on 4 bikes) down from Belgaum to Goa via the following route Belgaum > Machhe > Jamboti > Kankumbi > Chorla > Sanquelim > Panjim. It was one of the most desolate roads and very few vehicles on that road, the road was reasonable but narrow and we had many scary experiences on that road.

Anybody gone on this route recently, any idea how the road is and how safe this road is, would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks!
Old 15th October 2013, 06:12   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
Quick questions?

Many years back we have biked (6 guys on 4 bikes) down from Belgaum to Goa via the following route Belgaum > Machhe > Jamboti > Kankumbi > Chorla > Sanquelim > Panjim. It was one of the most desolate roads and very few vehicles on that road, the road was reasonable but narrow and we had many scary experiences on that road.

Anybody gone on this route recently, any idea how the road is and how safe this road is, would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks!
Check out the Bangalore Goa thread. This route is of late the pick of the season. Newly tarred roads as well. But I also read some rough stretches opening up in between.
Old 15th October 2013, 07:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
Quick questions?

Thanks!
I drove on Belgaum - Chorla - Goa route during Ganapati festival. Currently road is nice, smooth and definitely better than Phonda road. Ofcourse the Chorla ghat is very beutiful but bit tough as well for people who don't love to drive or travel in ghats. There is only about 200 mtrs bad patch near KA-GA border rather its only MUD and Slush. Once you enter Goa there are quite a few speedbreakers but manageable.

Cheers!
Old 5th November 2015, 12:20   #44
BHPian

Belgaum - Chorla - Goa continues to be in good shape at least over a year or so.
Do post if anyone tries out alternates with details.
Old 5th November 2015, 12:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Belgaum - Chorla - Goa continues to be in good shape at least over a year or so.
Do post if anyone tries out alternates with details.
Mollem route continues to be bad is what I heard from someone who went that way recently.This is the NH4A one.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks