Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 13:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mollem route continues to be bad is what I heard from someone who went that way recently.This is the NH4A one.
True. It was indeed much better only few months before the monsoons but has given away recently and last I drove was a months before and reported this to be in horrible shape and it better be avoided.

Else NH4A was THE road I would advise for Goa, specially Central but not anymore.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
True. It was indeed much better only few months before the monsoons but has given away recently and last I drove was a months before and reported this to be in horrible shape and it better be avoided.

Else NH4A was THE road I would advise for Goa, specially Central but not anymore.
I had taken the NH4A route back in 2013 and the Karnataka side was bad with craters. Why is this road neglected? Inspite of the bad sections, I was able to do Whitefield - Goa in 10 hours. Also, at that time few diversions were there from Alnavar exit to Molem. Is that all done?
Old 5th November 2015, 15:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I had taken the NH4A route back in 2013 and the Karnataka side was bad with craters. Why is this road neglected?
Mining and it was just mining that ruined this road completely. It got some life after mining was banned.

Quote:
Inspite of the bad sections, I was able to do Whitefield - Goa in 10 hours.
We have regularly done this in under 10 hours and been there in Goa for lunch with similar conditions that you mention.

First time we missed a turn from Khanapur and ended up driving on NH4A instead of Jamboti for Chorla and were shocked to see the crater sized potholes and while we decided to take a U-Turn, we spotted a Honda City with Goa Regn whom we stopped and asked if the roads were like this all the way to which he responded that the tragedy will last till the border only and then we continued.

Quote:
Also, at that time few diversions were there from Alnavar exit to Molem. Is that all done?
Have taken the Mollem route at least thrice in the last 2 years alone (apart from Chorla and NH17) and the only diversions which exist as of now are on the tolled section between Dharwad Bypass to Ramnagar at the undone Railway Overbridges which anyway are not really diversions. Else this tolled section is a fantastic single carriagway 2 lane road.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 19:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Belgaum - Chorla - Goa continues to be in good shape at least over a year or so.
Do post if anyone tries out alternates with details.
As per this post the forest road connecting Khanapur with Anmod is newly laid and in good condition. So if someone wants to goto South Goa from Belgaum, this is an option. Route link
Landkruzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 21:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
As per this post the forest road connecting Khanapur with Anmod is newly laid and in good condition. So if someone wants to goto South Goa from Belgaum, this is an option. Route link
That's good information. But your route ends at Mollem. How's the road after that till Margao or Panjim?
Old 6th November 2015, 05:47   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's good information. But your route ends at Mollem. How's the road after that till Margao or Panjim?
From Mollem the road till Goa is "Fantastic". One reason why folks still preferred Mollem route as the drive through wide NH4A in Anmod Ghats was an experience of its own.

Mollem is a point on NH4A while the route that's got tarred recently is an SH which will take you to Mollem from Khanapur. So basically, you touch this point of NH4A which is super good after this unlike the Karnataka side of NH4A which is in horrible shape
Old 6th November 2015, 15:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From Mollem the road till Goa is "Fantastic". ..
OK .. that gives us another viable route apart from 'via Chorla'.
Any quick updates on Amboli route, mostly junta from Hyderabad would suggest going via Chorla and returning via Amboli but no recent pointers.
Old 15th June 2016, 22:20   #53
BHPian

Sorry to bump this old thread which l see is inactive since more than an year. This road has recently seen a great development past 2.5 months, hence the update. It had remained in a horrible condition for about a decade ( except for 2-3 months every year when the potholes would be patched up ) but finally got back its old glory this year. By the way I am sure most BHPians are already aware of this development as this has been discussed multiple times in Mumbai/Pune to Goa and Bangalore-Goa threads.

NH4A Belgaum--Panjim highway via Khanapur-Londa-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat was completely reasphalted with new tarmac in the Karnataka limits ( 83kms) 2 months back. The part in Goa ( 72 kms) was always in a pristine condition. This route is now a standard and fastest route for Mumbai / Pune to South Goa ( Ponda-Madgaon-all south Goa beaches). Some pics of revamped NH4A--
Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition-5.jpg

Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition-4.jpg

Not only for Goa, NH4A partly helps for Mumbai / Pune to Dandeli,Ulavi,Anshi national park, Karwar. The route would be
Mumbai/Pune--Belgaum--NH4A till Ramnagar--then Ganeshgudi--Anshi ghat--Karwar.

Now , there is another shortcut connection between Khanapur and Anmod village passing through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary that can be discussed here. It cuts short the distance between the said places by 20 kms and passes through some really dense and scenic forests. This road was also relaid about 8 months back, its a narrow lane road and has a night ban from 6 pm to 6 a.m. Bhimgad WLS is a part of Kali tiger reserve and boasts of good wildlife that includes tigers,black panthers,leopards etc ( though not comparable to forests down south India). Time required for Bhimgad route vs that of NH4A ( between Anmod and Khanapur) is more of less the same.
Some pics of the same--
Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition-img_20160415_102610.jpg

Belgaum - Londa - Goa road condition-img_20160415_102819.jpg

Hope the roads remain the same post monsoons.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 07:45   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
This road has recently seen a great development past 2.5 months, hence the update. It had remained in a horrible condition for about a decade ( except for 2-3 months every year when the potholes would be patched up ) but finally got back its old glory this year. By the way I am sure most BHPians are already aware of this development as this has been discussed multiple times in Mumbai/Pune to Goa and Bangalore-Goa threads.
Vivek, I had referred the same set of images from your own post on FB in this post on Bangalore-Goa thread few months before .

It is now apparent that for South Goa & "Faster" entry to destination, NH4A holds as a very good option. Needless to say, this works for those driving from Hyderabad side as well since they would anyway cross Belgaum.

I once by mistake ended up taking the Belgaum-Khanapur road and was pleasantly surprised that the road was indeed good till a point after Belgaum when it started turning horrible.

At one point, we decided that we make U-Turn and take a different route till we asked a GA registered Honda City who clearly told us that the bad part is only till the border and after that it was fantastic and indeed it was super good after that.

After that, I may have taken NH4A even in its bad condition at least 5 times and still liked the road even in terms of timings and I was equally surprised to spot to many private cars from Goa taking this route too!!

My recent one was 3 weeks before and I loved every bit of NH4A - THE classic "GOA ROAD" and now the name does full justice to that after the complete stretch has been relaid.

OT - I Noticed that your post on FB is no more available. Nevertheless, these pics help anyway .

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th June 2016 at 07:47.

Most Viewed