Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 16:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is it a good option? or should I stay one full day in Cochin and then drive the next day to Mangalore (~450kms)?
Break it up. Its much better that way. You get to drive to drive a lesser distance per day, considering the density of traffic that will have to deal with.

Alternatively you can take 4-lane from Ernakulam all the way to Trichur and there on to to Kunnamkulam bypass (Guruvayur road) to Eddappal. That way you avoid a big section of the traffic congested NH17 to a large extent.

I mean the this : Route Link
Old 4th November 2014, 16:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Break it up. Its much better that way. You get to drive to drive a lesser distance per day, considering the density of traffic that will have to deal with.

Alternatively you can take 4-lane from Ernakulam all the way to Trichur and there on to to Kunnamkulam bypass (Guruvayur road) to Eddappal. That way you avoid a big section of the traffic congested NH17 to a large extent.

I mean the this : Route Link
Ok, thanks, I'll break it up.
I wished to drive by the sea and hence thought of NH17. Is it is not worth it?
Appoximately how long might this 450kms take?
Old 4th November 2014, 17:09   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Ok, thanks, I'll break it up.
I wished to drive by the sea and hence thought of NH17. Is it is not worth it?
Appoximately how long might this 450kms take?
NH17 in KL is just too congested for a start. And for a large part (well almost never) you will never get the feeling that you are on the highway! The town limits just dont end, while the next one begins!
Old 4th December 2014, 15:16   #34

Planning Goa-Thrissur in a Polo early Jan-15, single driver + 3 ladies. Only day driving, driving into Kerala on a Sunday (hopefully less congestion). Need advice on (1) Road conditions along NH-17 (2) Recommendations for night stay between Mangalore-Kannur (3) Alternate routes for driving pleasure?
Old 21st August 2015, 19:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Planning to do Goa-Kochi in October. Last year I did Goa-Manipal and I was quite tired after that. I was my first long drive. Planning to divide the trip into 2 or 3 legs. No night driving (after 8 PM) and no early morning starts. Kindly suggest locations where I can break the journey (overnight stop) and also details of hotels where I can stay. Vehicle will be a Skoda Rapid or if I manage to find a decent car, a Laura TSI.
Also looking for suggestions for what to do in Kochi (other than visit Pete's which is the hidden agenda of the trip).
Old 4th November 2015, 00:31   #36
BHPian

We are planning a trip to Goa from Cochin next week. The initial plan was to take the NH17 with a night halt at Mangalore. But got an information that around 100 km of road between Nileshwar and Mangalore is in pathetic condition.

Can anyone provide the road condition from mangalore till Goa. Is it worth braving the bad roads or should we change the route to go via bangalore. Is there any other better route. We would like to avoid hair pins through ghats roads as we are travelling with a one year old baby.

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy and Indu
Old 4th November 2015, 10:50   #37
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu View Post
We are planning a trip to Goa from Cochin next week. The initial plan was to take the NH17 with a night halt at Mangalore. But got an information that around 100 km of road between Nileshwar and Mangalore is in pathetic condition.
The coastal route around Kasargod/Nileshwar is quite bad and sees lot of slow moving traffic. I think you'd be better off driving from Kochi to Goa via Bangalore. Depending on where you're heading to in Goa, decide the route from Bangalore (route variants exist from before Hubli, Hubli bypass and Dharwad). Look up the Bangalore-Goa route thread where there are several recent posts on suggested routes and alternatives - look up recent ones by @paragsachania, it's almost like the Holy Grail for Goa

Some recent references:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3830725

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3838646

Last edited by NPV : 4th November 2015 at 10:54.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:59   #38
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Can anyone provide the road condition from mangalore till Goa. Is it worth braving the bad roads or should we change the route to go via bangalore. Is there any other better route. We would like to avoid hair pins through ghats roads as we are travelling with a one year old baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The coastal route around Kasargod/Nileshwar is quite bad and sees lot of slow moving traffic. I think you'd be better off driving from Kochi to Goa via Bangalore. Depending on where you're heading to in Goa, decide the route from Bangalore (route variants exist from before Hubli, Hubli bypass and Dharwad).
If you still want to take two lane roads:
Kochi-Coimbattore-Dimbam-Mysore-Hassan-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
Old 4th November 2015, 11:15   #39
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you still want to take two lane roads:
Kochi-Coimbattore-Dimbam-Mysore-Hassan-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
@OP wishes to minimize travel on ghat roads, plus Hassan-Arsikere is one of the worst roads, it's the moon surface right here on Earth
Old 4th November 2015, 11:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy and Indu
If you are planning a night halt, better to go via Bangalore. You can halt at Tumkur. Kochi - Tumkur - 11 hours & Tumkur - Goa - 10 hours.

NH 17 will tire you out.
Old 7th November 2015, 23:22   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the replies BHPians.

We have decided to go via bangalore with a night halt at Nelamangala.

As per the suggested bangalore-goa links we are planning to take the below route to our destination - Miramar beach. Please correct if there is a better and faster route.

Nelamangala - Chitradurga - Hubli Dharwad Bypass - Take left before exiting the Bypass - Alnavar (SH 34) - Khanapur (SH 93) - SH 31 to Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - old Goa - Panjim - Miramar beach.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:16   #42
BHPian

Driving Kochi to Goa in December.

Decided to drive upto manipal and halt on the first day, and continue to Anjuna the next day.

Havent decided the return route. Preferably a different route.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:38   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Have a trip to Goa (destination is South Goa) in couple of months (Yes, have ample time to plan but want to decide on the route options).

Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-screenshot_1.jpg

Route 1:-

Via Mangalore. I personally don't prefer this route as it is very turing. Moreover, my cousin just drove down from Mangalore during Xmas and said it was horrible (road condition and traffic). This is my least preferred choice.

Route 2:-

Via Mysuru. Asking because Google suggested this. Don't think this would be advisable as I don't see any marginal gain in time.

Route 3:-

Via Tumakuru, Davanagere. This is the preferred choice as of now (highlighted in the screenshot).

Would love your suggestions on the following (Posting Goa specific queries in "First timers in Goa thread"):
1) Preferred/recommended route?
2) Where should I halt for the night and recommended hotels? Since my choice would be via Davanagere, I think this (Davanagere) would be right place for the night halt. My start would be 4am from Cochin.

Thanks in advance.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:41   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Via Mysuru. Asking because Google suggested this. Don't think this would be advisable as I don't see any marginal gain in time.
Actually not a bad option. Given there are many diversions around Bangalore-Hubli, you can try Mysore and then get on to Honnavar road via Shimoga.

Should be a driver's paradise to drive pretty much on 2-lanes.

If all else fails, we have the regular 4-lane via Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar. For the longish drives which you will see all the way, these diversions may still be worth it.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2020 at 15:46.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Since my choice would be via Davanagere
Try Sankama, Southern Star, Ashok Inn or Hotel Sai International. If you want cheaper options, let me know

All the above hotels are located within the city with easy access and good parking facilities. Apoorva Resorts and Genesis Resorts along the highway are not worth the price.

Also, when is the drive? Be warned that it's difficult to get rooms in good hotels during first two weeks of March (depending on graduation day of various colleges in town)
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks