Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Gujarat road trip - Queries

Hi! guys

Need your help in fine tuning my Gujarat road trip in December end. This will be a family trip (Me Wife and 8 year old kid) coinciding with the Xmas / NY vacations of kids. Yes i know its the most crowded time to go but can't help as it has be during the vacations only..

Plan is as follows

Vehicle - Toyota Fortuner

23rd Dec ( evening) Bhopal to Ujjain
24 - Ujjain to Zainabad (Little Rann of Kutch) LRK
25 - Zainabad
26 - Zainabad - Rann - Bhuj
I intend to cross the LRK with the assistance of GPS. Already got the
GPS log of bhpian Vardhan.harsh who crossed it last year.

27 - Bhuj
28 - Bhuj
29 - Bhuj - Gir
30 - Gir
31 - Gir Somanath - X
1 - X - Ahemedabad - Y
2 Y to Bhopal

Some querries

1. I am trying Dessert Coursers at Zainabad but so far have not received a reply. Any other option ?

2. Hotel recommendation in Bhuj. Budget around 1000-2000 per day.
Car park must.

3. Route recomendation for Bhuj to Gir

4. In Gir i am trying for Sinha Sadan. However i was told from there office that to fax the requirement 15 days before the travel plan. Is it correct ?

5. The last 3 days are a bit fluid. Can spend the whole day at Somanath
or make a quick dash to Dwarka and come back in the evening to Somanath. Also need hotel recomendation with budget of 1000 - 2000.

6. Need help in selecting route from Somanath to Ahemedabad.

Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat road trip querries

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Bhuj-Gandhidham-Lakadiya-Morbi-Rajkot-Jetpur-Junagadh-Gir(approx 350-370 kms) marked in yellow.
Gujarat road trip - Queries-clipboard02.jpg

Quote:
or make a quick dash to Dwarka and come back in the evening to Somanath. Also need hotel recomendation with budget of 1000 - 2000.
Good hotels in that range are available on the Veraval byepass(near Somnath). Hotel Lord's Inn( maybe costly), Hotel Sukh Sagar, Hotel Ambar are the better ones with plenty of parking space available, plus these hotels are just five minutes drive from Somnath temple.

Avoid staying in the city( hotels are cheap, but no parking space available)

Going from Somnath(Veraval) to Dwaraka will take you 5-6 hours(Veraval-Gadu-Mangrol-Madhavpur-Porbandar-Dwaraka). Add another half an hour drive, if you need to go to Bet Dwaraka( Okha). So if you plan to go to Dwaraka from Veraval, start early.

Quote:
The best route is Veraval-Keshod-Junagadh-Jetpur-Rajkot-Limbdi-Baghodra-Ahmedabad. Veraval-Junagadh highway is bad at places( will take you around two hours). From Junagadh onwards roads are ok. Take right turn at Jetpur(AKA Navagadh) to enter the four laned highway to Rajkot(left turn will take you to Porbandar).

On entering Rajkot, take a right turn at the city entrance circle(landmark: Hyundai/Honda/VW & Nissan showrooms in one complex) to stay on the four laned highway(towards Ahmedabad). From Rajkot to Ahmedabad, roads are four laned and pretty much straight with no turns anywhere( you'll enjoy the drive).
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 12:18   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! guys

25 - Zainabad

30 - Gir
31 - Gir Somanath - X
1 - X - Ahemedabad - Y
2 Y to Bhopal

Some querries

1. I am trying Dessert Coursers at Zainabad but so far have not received a reply. Any other option ?

Car park must.

4. In Gir i am trying for Sinha Sadan. However i was told from there office that to fax the requirement 15 days before the travel plan. Is it correct ?

Thanks
NH 59 betweem Indore-godhra is in shambles. i had trevelled in may 2011. virtually there is no road. 4 laning is going on. better try ujjain-badnawar-jhabua. it appeas to be good as per T-bhpian Pravdr. you can check his travelogue

In somnath - Leelavathi bhavan by temple trust is very good. but you have book in advance.
Pilgraim Facilities

Sukhsagar is also good. but try for lilavathi. temple is walkable.

Somnath-dwarka takes min 4 hours. road is reasonably ok. Dwarka you need minimum half a day for local temples and bet dwarka. bet dwarka temple has timings. it seems it closes by 12 PM and opens around 4 or 5 PM . trip to bet is dependent on ferry service..

If you can find ferry service between Mandvi-dwarka, it will save lot of time

Bhuj-mandvi-dwarka-somnath-gir-ahmedabad will save lot of time and distance.

Hotel Damji is good in dwarka
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 07:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
NH 59 betweem Indore-godhra is in shambles. i had trevelled in may 2011. virtually there is no road. 4 laning is going on. better try ujjain-badnawar-jhabua. it appeas to be good as per T-bhpian Pravdr. you can check his travelogue

In somnath - Leelavathi bhavan by temple trust is very good. but you have book in advance.
Pilgraim Facilities

Somnath-dwarka takes min 4 hours. road is reasonably ok. Dwarka you need minimum half a day for local temples and bet dwarka. bet dwarka temple has timings. it seems it closes by 12 PM and opens around 4 or 5 PM . trip to bet is dependent on ferry service..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Bhuj-Gandhidham-Lakadiya-Morbi-Rajkot-Jetpur-Junagadh-Gir(approx 350-370 kms) marked in yellow.

Good hotels in that range are available on the Veraval byepass(near Somnath). Hotel Lord's Inn( maybe costly), Hotel Sukh Sagar, Hotel Ambar are the better ones with plenty of parking space available, plus these hotels are just five minutes drive from Somnath temple.

Avoid staying in the city( hotels are cheap, but no parking space available)

Going from Somnath(Veraval) to Dwaraka will take you 5-6 hours(Veraval-Gadu-Mangrol-Madhavpur-Porbandar-Dwaraka). Add another half an hour drive, if you need to go to Bet Dwaraka( Okha). So if you plan to go to Dwaraka from Veraval, start early.

The best route is Veraval-Keshod-Junagadh-Jetpur-Rajkot-Limbdi-Baghodra-Ahmedabad. Veraval-Junagadh highway is bad at places( will take you around two hours). From Junagadh onwards roads are ok. Take right turn at Jetpur(AKA Navagadh) to enter the four laned highway to Rajkot(left turn will take you to Porbandar).

On entering Rajkot, take a right turn at the city entrance circle(landmark: Hyundai/Honda/VW & Nissan showrooms in one complex) to stay on the four laned highway(towards Ahmedabad). From Rajkot to Ahmedabad, roads are four laned and pretty much straight with no turns anywhere( you'll enjoy the drive).

Thanks guys. That was very helpfull.

Is there a routine ferry service from Mandvi to Dwarka ..??
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Pilgraim Facilities

I have to travel from Nadiad-Dhar-Mandu-Maheshwar-Pune. I am concerned about the Nadiad-Dhar stretch. Your message speaks of bad roads in May 2011. The NHAI says four laning is on. Is there any improvement in the last six months? What about dacoity issues at Jhabua? Do you feel a route further south via Halol -Alirajpur- Dhamnod is safer?
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:45   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I have to travel from Nadiad-Dhar-Mandu-Maheshwar-Pune. I am concerned about the Nadiad-Dhar stretch. Your message speaks of bad roads in May 2011. The NHAI says four laning is on. Is there any improvement in the last six months? What about dacoity issues at Jhabua? Do you feel a route further south via Halol -Alirajpur- Dhamnod is safer?
The road upto dahod is good. i could reach dahod with 2 hours from Dakor.from nadiad to dahod it took around 4 hours. dahod to jhabua is ok but near jahbua it is bad. between jhabua - dhar- indore there is no road at all. i don't think it would have changed by now from May 2011. actually they are laying the new 4 lane stretch

i do not have any idea about the alternate route you have asked.

But i think it is better to go via badnawar to ujjain- indore-dhamnod-mandu and maheswar. it will be longer. but one can add ujjain.
If one is coming from Indore on NH3 near/after gujri, one has to take u turn to go to mandu. this road is good. but not marked well. Do not take the road at Hotel Palash on NH3. it is very bad. it takes to mandu back entrance
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The road upto dahod is good. i could reach dahod with 2 hours from Dakor.from nadiad to dahod it took around 4 hours. dahod to jhabua is ok but near jahbua it is bad. between jhabua - dhar- indore there is no road at all. i don't think it would have changed by now from May 2011. actually they are laying the new 4 lane stretch

i do not have any idea about the alternate route you have asked.

But i think it is better to go via badnawar to ujjain- indore-dhamnod-mandu and maheswar. it will be longer. but one can add ujjain.
If one is coming from Indore on NH3 near/after gujri, one has to take u turn to go to mandu. this road is good. but not marked well. Do not take the road at Hotel Palash on NH3. it is very bad. it takes to mandu back entrance
I do want to go to Dhar. The route via Limkheda -Limdi-Jhapadara-Thandla-Petlawad-Badnawar-Dhar is the alternative according to the map. Is this the route you have suggested? These would be small roads.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Hi! guys

Need your help in fine tuning my Gujarat road trip in December end. This will be a family trip (Me Wife and 8 year old kid) coinciding with the Xmas / NY vacations of kids. Yes i know its the most crowded time to go but can't help as it has be during the vacations only..

Plan is as follows

25 - Zainabad

27 - Bhuj
28 - Bhuj
29 - Bhuj - Gir
30 - Gir
31 - Gir Somanath - X
1 - X - Ahemedabad - Y
2 Y to Bhopal

Some querries

Car park must.

Thanks
1. December end is peak season, so finding Acco may be very difficult. However, if you stay in North Ah'bad, you can actually reach edge of LIttle Ran in just 2 hours, and then drive through it. However, in December end it may be slightly marshy. You can get stuck
2. Hotel Price(new one at outskirts) is a good idea
3. Mandvi beach(approx 80kms) from Bhuj is a good place to chill out. You can have a day dedicated to beach touring
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:07   #9
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do want to go to Dhar. The route via Limkheda -Limdi-Jhapadara-Thandla-Petlawad-Badnawar-Dhar is the alternative according to the map. Is this the route you have suggested? These would be small roads.
i do not know about this route. i did not travel through it. i suggested it because one t-bhp member "pravdr" used this route to reach dhar from ujjain.
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

My answers in Bold, you'd need to do the bookings fast, December is peak time.

Quote:
Hi! guys

Plan is as follows

25 - Zainabad

Be very careful, we had untimely rain even last month, there's lots of water there, I would not venture out there without back up. I know off some people who have gone through scot free, they were luckly.

27 - Bhuj
28 - Bhuj
29 - Bhuj - Gir
30 - Gir
31 - Gir Somanath - X
1 - X - Ahemedabad - Y
2 Y to Bhopal

Some querries

http://www.desertcoursers.net/contact_us.html:

Talk to Dhanraj who owns the place, if not booked out he'd help you.

Car park must.

Prince is a good option, but in December as TSK said, it could be booked out. They have a main branch in town, pricey at 2.5 K per day.

The one given on the map is fine.

15 days before your travel is to ensure that you DO NOT get it, it would be booked out. Try in some other place, freeze the stay, or in December, you'd not get anything out there.

5. The last 3 days are a bit fluid. Can spend the whole day at Somanath or make a quick dash to Dwarka and come back in the evening to Somanath. Also need hotel recomendation with budget of 1000 - 2000.

Somnath to Dwaraka through the costal route is a great slow drive, if you're lucky you'd see lots of migratory birds there,some salt pans and Porbandhar on the way, a shutterbug could spend a whole day on that route. Dwaraka, Bid Dwaraka and Darukavan would be a day's job.

Fastest would be Veraval, Keshod, Junagadh, Gondal, Rajkoat, Ahmedabad, about 400 KM and 6 hours.

Thanks
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Frequentflyer
This exactly is the route recommended to me by someone who travelled recently from Bhopal to Ahemdabad. But from Badnawar go to Ujjain. According to him roads are decent and way better than the Dhar road. I'll also take this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. December end is peak season, so finding Acco may be very difficult. However, if you stay in North Ah'bad, you can actually reach edge of LIttle Ran in just 2 hours, and then drive through it. However, in December end it may be slightly marshy. You can get stuck
2. Hotel Price(new one at outskirts) is a good idea
3. Mandvi beach(approx 80kms) from Bhuj is a good place to chill out. You can have a day dedicated to beach touring
Thanks Tanveer.
I have already taken the gps log from Harsh. But i'll be very carefull since i am travelling with family. Slightest of threat and i'll take the "proper" road.
Have gone through your Rann log and i am fully aware of the dangers which Rann has to offer.
In Bhuj i have booked Hotel Mangalam. I have increased one more day in Bhuj just for chilling out at Mandvi. So its 4 nights in Bhuj now.

Quote:
i do not know about this route. i did not travel through it. i suggested it because one t-bhp member "pravdr" used this route to reach dhar from ujjain.
Thanks rkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
My answers in Bold, you'd need to do the bookings fast, December is peak time.
Thanks ramkya1. Yes i was a bit slow in making the bookings because i was not sure that i would get leave from office. The situation now is

Dessert Coursers are full. Talked to Dhanraj and was told that December end gets booked up in July itself... Hence decided to go staright to Bhuj and increased 1 more day there.

Sinha Sadan is as good as gone for Dec end. I have sent them a fax but they are non commital saying lot of government people "can" come and neither they are telling clearly about their booking policy... so look elsewhere. Apart from this i am not getting any accomodation in Gir. Whatever is available is at exhorbitant prices.
I tried Junaghad also but it seems most of the places are full.

After Gir wanted to go Dwarka on 31st where i am getting accomodation and then come to Somanth on 1st where again i am getting acco.

So the two days 29th and 30th not sure what to do. Also i am worried that Dwarka would be heavily crowded on 31st. With a child ( 8 year old ) I am highly uncomfortable in crowded religious places.
How heavy will be the rush ? If its like it will take me 6-7 hrs standing in line for Darshan then i might altogether cut short the trip at Bhuj and return back from Bhuj. So Dwarka, Somanath , Gir and probably Diu for a second trip during lesser peak time...

Last edited by columbus : 24th November 2011 at 20:40.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frequentflyer
This exactly is the route recommended to me by someone who travelled recently from Bhopal to Ahemdabad. But from Badnawar go to Ujjain. According to him roads are decent and way better than the Dhar road. I'll also take this route

Thanks ramkya1. Yes i was a bit slow in making the bookings because i was not sure that i would get leave from office. The situation now is

Dessert Coursers are full. Talked to Dhanraj and was told that December end gets booked up in July itself... Hence decided to go staright to Bhuj and increased 1 more day there.

Sinha Sadan is as good as gone for Dec end. I have sent them a fax but they are non commital saying lot of government people "can" come and neither they are telling clearly about their booking policy... so look elsewhere. Apart from this i am not getting any accomodation in Gir. Whatever is available is at exhorbitant prices.
I tried Junaghad also but it seems most of the places are full.

Looks like Gir is out, the crowd would be maddening, amidst all that din, wonder if you'd get to see any wild Lion, what you see would be tame ones too old to walk.

After Gir wanted to go Dwarka on 31st where i am getting accomodation and then come to Somanth on 1st where again i am getting acco.

31st Dwaraka with a child would be crazy, drop it, plan something else.

So the two days 29th and 30th not sure what to do. Also i am worried that Dwarka would be heavily crowded on 31st. With a child ( 8 year old ) I am highly uncomfortable in crowded religious places.
How heavy will be the rush ? If its like it will take me 6-7 hrs standing in line for Darshan then i might altogether cut short the trip at Bhuj and return back from Bhuj. So Dwarka, Somanath , Gir and probably Diu for a second trip during lesser peak time...
It would be best to postpone, anywhere during December end will be expensive, noisy and full of people who just want to have fun with noise, crowds and dringk.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 08:22   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
27 - Bhuj
28 - Bhuj
29 - Bhuj - Gir
30 - Gir
31 - Gir Somanath - X

columbus instead of driving all the way from Bhuj to Gir on 29th, Drive to Jamnagar. Visit Marine wild life park , Mr Mustaq - of Hotel President can do the necessary arrangement and from there to Dwarka. Here is a local contact of Pandit who took us around : Kushal vijaibhai thakur - 97270-91882, 02892-235803. Also do visit the Nageshwara Jyotirling which is 18 kms from there.

Enroute you can visit porbandar and stay at Somnath. From Somnath, you can visit Gir and instead of a proper safari, visit Devlaya. I think this will take of your 3 days activity.

Here is the link for MY TL , which we did recently.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...1-3500kms.html

Last edited by v&v : 25th November 2011 at 08:28.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 08:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
It would be best to postpone, anywhere during December end will be expensive, noisy and full of people who just want to have fun with noise, crowds and dringk.
Thanks sir jee. So its better to keep Gir, Dwarka, Somanath for a second trip and club Diu with it.
Can you recommend me a hotel in Ahemdabad. Budget Around 2K. Lesser would be fine. I need it only for a night. Car park must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
columbus instead of driving all the way from Bhuj to Gir on 29th, Drive to Jamnagar. Visit Marine wild life park , Mr Mustaq - of Hotel President can do the necessary arrangement and from there to Dwarka. Here is a local contact of Pandit who took us around : Kushal vijaibhai thakur - 97270-91882, 02892-235803. Also do visit the Nageshwara Jyotirling which is 18 kms from there.

Enroute you can visit porbandar and stay at Somnath. I think this will take of your 3 days activity.
What a wonderful Idea about Jamnagar you have given. I also have a relative there. Will ping him today itself.
I did read your travelogue. But Jamnagar just slipped out of mind. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 25th November 2011, 08:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sir jee. So its better to keep Gir, Dwarka, Somanath for a second trip and club Diu with it.
Can you recommend me a hotel in Ahemdabad. Budget Around 2K. Lesser would be fine. I need it only for a night. Car park must.

What a wonderful Idea about Jamnagar you have given. I also have a relative there. Will ping him today itself.
I did read your travelogue. But Jamnagar just slipped out of mind. Thanks for pointing out.
I usually recommend Platinum Inn as it's best value for money.

Hotels in Ahmedabad | Luxury Hotel in Ahmedabad

We offficially use it a lot, at 2.6 K net with bk fast, large rooms can take even 4 beds and lots of area to park, 2-3 kms off the city noise.

Strongly suggest you keep 2 clear days in A'bad there's so much to see. One day you must go to Sun Temple, Rani Ka Wav and Pattan, hidden treasures.

Please search the travelogues here, I've written about it, recently 2-3 people also stayed at Platinum after I booked them in, you'd also have to find that out.

If you're OK with that I'd book you in officially as our guest, otherwise, we can find other places around 2K.

--Ramky
==========

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks